Review: Limbo

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
I saw a video of this game up on Eurogamer last week and thought it looked great; such a positive review from The Escapist is all the confirmation I need. As luck would have it, I was already planning to trade in my Wii to get Microsoft Points for other DLC this week.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Since you didn't mention story, (or atleast I don't think I saw you mentioning it) I assume most of the plot is either implied or indirectly told like in Braid?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Not G. Ivingname said:
Susan Arendt said:
Since you didn't mention story, (or atleast I don't think I saw you mentioning it) I assume most of the plot is either implied or indirectly told like in Braid?
Not even. You wake up, you start walking through the forest and dying. This isn't really a game you play for the story.

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
and once again, the indie community proves that they are where the innovation and hope for the gaming industry has moved to. i really think that gaming is following movies, with the occasional big awesome game, followed by tons of big trash, then the indie scene provides the really innovation and interesting side of the industry.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Susan Arendt said:
Not even. You wake up, you start walking through the forest and dying. This isn't really a game you play for the story.
So basically the entire plot is this?

[HEADING=1] MOVE LEFT, DO NOT DIE. [/HEADING]

Vladamir69

Dec 18, 2008
Sinclose said:
how long would you say the game is?
Well on my first playthrough I would say it took me 2 and a half maybe three hours. After that it drops because you know were everything is.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Sinclose said:
I can only hope they port it to PC and PSN, like they did with Braid :-(

Susan, how long would you say the game is?
That depends entirely on how good you are at these particular puzzles. You might sail through, or you might be stumped by one for hours - it'll most likely be a mix of both. Limbo is very like Portal in that respect. To do absolutely everything, including finding all the easter eggs? Perhaps five hours.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Nice review, I felt almost as you did when I played through the demo. Even my sister enjoyed it by only watching me as I played.

It was farily easy for her to get into, as she has hypoxia (google for it) and she don't understand even a bit of english, she had as much fun as me by watching me play the thing.

The graphics are amazing, very simplistic and yet amazing.

The demo ends on a cliffhanger, so that's more of a reason to get some Microsoft Points and buy it, and I felt that way too, it's simply one of the best downloadable games the 360 has to offer.

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
That reminds me of this game:

Coma [http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/541124]
The art style is very similar, possibly the same developer?

Impluse_101

Jun 25, 2009
Gosh Dang....I read a little bit about this from Kotaku about Limbo. They described it was every child's worst nightmare. Big Bullies, Spiders, etc. I also read that your body will get torn to pieces....*shivers* God that is some scary thoughts that have went into this game. Bravo you magnificent creepy mother truckers...

Impluse_101

Jun 25, 2009
Also, I have a question for everyone. What do you know about Limbo's story? Games like this that have a unknown story just truly gets me curious.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Speaking of which, I want your take on something:
At the end, you walk toward your sister, you see her sort of look up, and it fades to black. Now, keep that image in your mind, because the title screen is the same area, but broken down. The ladder is busted, it's raining...but you see two decomposing bodies and flies buzzing around.

So do you think that they both died, and the whole game is the 'afterlife'?
Or do you think they both died their after he found her?
I've been racking my brain over it, and I can't seem to come to a mental consensus.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
I played through it the day it was released. And it was cool, but I definitely felt like $15 was too high a price for the game. I think it should have run closer to $10.

But then, I guess I wasn't as wowed as some people are by this. I thought the art style was pretty and unique. But the game became far less interesting as the character leaves the organic world behind and starts puzzling through a more mechanized world.

The game shines when your character is traipsing through dangerous forest settings with creepy spiders and slugs, but when your hopping around gears and crates, and raising and lowering water in the factory-like setting, it loses a bit of its luster falling back on the more mundane platforming elements and ditching the creepy forest atmosphere.

RooftopAssassin

Sep 13, 2009
Phenom828 said:
Oh My GOD... O.O This seems just like the game for me. I reminded me of Coma [http://www.kongregate.com/games/wittyhobos/coma] but Darker and (hopefully) a lot longer. Seriously, this is the kind of game I adore. :D

Simple gameplay? Check.
Clever puzzles? Check.
Beautiful art? Check.
Dark sense of humour? Check.
Decent story? Check.

Too bad I don't have an Xbox :( (let's just hope that the popularity makes it avalible on PSN also. [or steam])
I second this. If it's anything like Coma, I want to play it. If you haven't played Coma, please punch yourself at your earliest convenience... then go play it.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
Baby Tea said:
Susan Arendt said:
At the end, you walk toward your sister, you see her sort of look up, and it fades to black. Now, keep that image in your mind, because the title screen is the same area, but broken down. The ladder is busted, it's raining...but you see two decomposing bodies and flies buzzing around.

I've been racking my brain over it, and I can't seem to come to a mental consensus.
It is the afterlife. The boy and his sister are reunited spiritually.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Baby Tea said:
Susan Arendt said:

I think the name of the game answers your question, my friend.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Bought it the day it was released,beat it and enjoyed it but frankly ?15 is too much for a short game with little re-playability.Unfortunately it seems that ?15(or 1200 points)is becoming more and more often the price for XBLA games