Review: LittleBigPlanet 2

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007

All the happy adjectives you know apply to LittleBigPlanet 2.

Read Full Article

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'll get it down the line. Like, summer. Too much other stuff coming out to blow $60 on a game I'm only half-interested in.

Susan Arendt said:
Unfortunately, Sackboy's jumps are still super floaty and although being able to move in towards the background allows for some clever level designs, you'll frequently miss your mark because the game's 2d nature makes it difficult to tell that you're too far forward or back. It's not a fun-breaker, but it is a frustration that never quite goes away as you play.
For me, that is a fun-breaker. A huge fun-breaker.

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
Little Big Planet is one of the few game that makes me consider getting a PS3 as well as a 360. Glad to see the sequel hasn't ruined the series.

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
I have just got the original over the past winter holiday season and haven't gotten a chance to play it, so I'm gonna beat that first and wait for the price to go down. I will get it eventually though.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
I love LBP, and LBP2 is awesome too... but I personally like how the story is told in the first game better.

I don't like the cut-scenes and all felt a bit weird...

I also liked the worlds in LBP1 better.

But the player created content has been taken up several notches

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Gotta get me a ps3 down the line. Good news will be that games will be cheaper \o/

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Aurgelmir said:
I love LBP, and LBP2 is awesome too... but I personally like how the story is told in the first game better.

Do you feel like the first one was a bit more light-hearted? That's the one big difference I felt between the two - LBP is a lot more adorable than LBP 2.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Susan Arendt said:

Read Full Article
You forgot to mention that Stephen Fry narrates the intro and the tutorials. That in itself is worth a whole extra star in my opinion.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I got the game, I love it. I still suck at using the creation tools, and the music synthesizer has shown me I know absolutely nothing about music, but it's just fun to dick around with all the create elements.

I once spent an hour just piloting a missile I strapped a controllinator to while kick ass music was playing.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Aurgelmir said:

Do you feel like the first one was a bit more light-hearted? That's the one big difference I felt between the two - LBP is a lot more adorable than LBP 2.
Yes, I think that is a good way of putting it. LBPs first worlds were a lot more happy go lucky.
I also feel the story gets a bit in the way of the game in LBP2. It's a bit cool, but at the same time I liked the characters in LBP better when they were just cardboard cutouts, it added to the home made feel of the game

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Andronicus said:
Susan Arendt said:

Read Full Article
You forgot to mention that Stephen Fry narrates the intro and the tutorials. That in itself is worth a whole extra star in my opinion.
Americans aren't obsessed with Stephen Fry like the rest of the world is. He certainly does a great job on the tutorials, but I didn't love the intro this time around. Probably because it had actual people in it. :p

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Damn it, why didn't they fix that one little thing that really needed fixing.
The floatyness always puts me off in the end, loved to play with LBP1 but once the level was done I really didn't want to try it because it was infuriating me how uncontrollable it is.

Maybe someday they will port it to PC and we can mod it to work properly.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Oh, dangit, one thing I forgot to mention - you can port your profile from LBP into LBP2, so everything you unlocked - all your stickers, objects, music clips, etc. - is available for your creations.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
I'll get it down the line. Like, summer. Too much other stuff coming out to blow $60 on a game I'm only half-interested in.

Susan Arendt said:
Unfortunately, Sackboy's jumps are still super floaty and although being able to move in towards the background allows for some clever level designs, you'll frequently miss your mark because the game's 2d nature makes it difficult to tell that you're too far forward or back. It's not a fun-breaker, but it is a frustration that never quite goes away as you play.
For me, that is a fun-breaker. A huge fun-breaker.
SO it still suffers from that same problem. That's why I hated LBP. So looks like this game isn't better.

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
Americans aren't obsessed with Stephen Fry like the rest of the world is. He certainly does a great job on the tutorials, but I didn't love the intro this time around. Probably because it had actual people in it. :p
Well, I feel that we should be.

Also, didn't the LBP-Classic intro have live action people in it as well?

I seem to remember an girl sleeping in a tree, and a 'fro wielding gent sleeping on a desk.

dragonburner

Feb 21, 2009
Everyone says the creator is easy to use... That was my problem with the first game. It was confusing and overwhelming at times.