Review: Mass Effect 2

Darth Caelum

Jan 21, 2010
As long as i get to do morally questionable acts.
Confuse people whether i am a "Good" or "Bad" Guy.
and decide the Fate of the entire Galaxy, then I AM IN!!!!!!!

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
HT_Black said:
My word, Ms. Arendt! You certainly were on the ball with this one. I mean, it came out...three hours from now?

...I'm confused.
She's a time-traveler. That, or PR reps from EA sent us (and every other videogaming-related publication) a review copy of the game so that we could publish in time for release. Pick whichever explanation makes you happiest.
Time traveler. Now that we've settled that the real questions begin. Does she travel Doctor/Bill & Ted style, Marty McFly style, or Star Trek slingshot style.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Just picked up my Collector's Edition (Xbox 360). Two interesting things:

1) The awesome box art is on the cardboard sleeve, not on the metal tin. The metal tin has Shepard on the one side, and a geth (I think) on the other.

2) Unlike the digital editions, there is no soundtrack in the retail versions. I think I'd rather have had the soundtrack than the art book.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Moriarty70 said:
Russ Pitts said:
HT_Black said:
My word, Ms. Arendt! You certainly were on the ball with this one. I mean, it came out...three hours from now?

...I'm confused.
She's a time-traveler. That, or PR reps from EA sent us (and every other videogaming-related publication) a review copy of the game so that we could publish in time for release. Pick whichever explanation makes you happiest.
Time traveler. Now that we've settled that the real questions begin. Does she travel Doctor/Bill & Ted style, Marty McFly style, or Star Trek slingshot style.
I can neither confirm nor deny that I am a time traveler. I will however point out, apropos of nothing, that I have a robot dog and a scarf of which I am overly fond.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Virgil said:
Just picked up my Collector's Edition (Xbox 360). Two interesting things:

1) The awesome box art is on the cardboard sleeve, not on the metal tin. The metal tin has Shepard on the one side, and a geth (I think) on the other.

2) Unlike the digital editions, there is no soundtrack in the retail versions. I think I'd rather have had the soundtrack than the art book.
Yeah, the soundtrack is what sold me on the Digital Deluxe edition - the other extras were nice, but as a music junkie (not really hyperbole, I've purchased 5 new albums so far this week and it's only Tuesday), there's just no way I can say no to that!

Now I just have to sit through my entire shift at work until I can fire up the game. At least it doesn't actually unlock until I'd get off work anyways, so I'm not constantly plagued by the thought that "I could be playing Mass Effect 2 right now" all day.

CymTyr

Mar 22, 2009
Good review, thanks for posting it. I'm definitely planning on getting it down the road, money's kind of tight at the moment.

Think I'll reinstall part one and play through it again :) I liked it a lot.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
*Excited gasp* Space hamster?!?

Name him Cheeto. That's what I'm going to name mine. :D

Anyway, nice review. I preordered my copy and payed extra for it to come as soon as possible.
*Stares at mailbox* Any minute now... :D

obex

Gone Gonzo ..... no ..... wait..
Jun 18, 2009
Cant wait for this it looks great, also call your hamster "Boo the miniature giant space hamster"

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Just spent about seven hours playing it and went straight to class after recruiting my fourth squadmate(Archangel, Jack, Moridin and Grunt). At the moment I am trying not to fall asleep for the next six hours as I sit through lectures waiting to go home and play... or sleep... which ever. :p

Needless to say it is meeting all of my expectations thus far.

Epictank of Wintown

Jan 8, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Moriarty70 said:
Russ Pitts said:
HT_Black said:

...I'm confused.
I can neither confirm nor deny that I am a time traveler. I will however point out, apropos of nothing, that I have a robot dog and a scarf of which I am overly fond.
...I...you...

I love you so much right now.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Was it wrong that I walked out of eb games with my ME 2 collector box clutched to my chest as I was walking away, whimpering about how long it would take to walk home?

And seriously, took me around 5 minutes to pull one of the DVDs out of the box! WTH?

Joshroom

Oct 27, 2009
Darn it! This is the only game that is making me re-consider my choice to get a PS3. I loved the first game and this looks like its going to rock to. Now all I need to do is find a spare £400 and I'm away!

Ciler

Nov 16, 2009
cainx10a said:
Was it wrong that I walked out of eb games with my ME 2 collector box clutched to my chest as I was walking away, whimpering about how long it would take to walk home?

And seriously, took me around 5 minutes to pull one of the DVDs out of the box! WTH?
You're lucky you got to take it home... I'm sitting here at work and the game is calling to me from its hiding place in my desk, demanding that I go home and play it. ARGH!

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Damnit, I can't read it for fear of spoilers, and the video warns of spoilers! And its not released in the UK til Friday! :(

Still, the conclusion bit seems like the game will be great!

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Ciler said:
cainx10a said:

You're lucky you got to take it home... I'm sitting here at work and the game is calling to me from its hiding place in my desk, demanding that I go home and play it. ARGH!
Just make sure you get enough sleep tonight sir ;)

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
Dosn't sound much like a improvement, sadly i didn't like the first one, so i doubt i like this one.

Good review thou

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
I'm loving the game so far. The combat feels as if I was playing Gears of War, which is a good thing, and no longer feels clunky and broken. Ammo is virtually everywhere so the fear that we're going to be running out of ammo is unfounded. Put about 5 hours into the game so far and the only thing I've run out of ammo for is the special weapons.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Moriarty70 said:
Russ Pitts said:
HT_Black said:

...I'm confused.
Makes sense that you're a time and space traveler, considering the game in question involves tooling around the stars in the S.S. Fallic-Compensation-For-Being-Inexperienced-On-The-Galatic-Stage that Humanity controls.

What? Am I the only one who saw it? The C.N. Tower is just a tower with purple lights?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Doug said:
Damnit, I can't read it for fear of spoilers, and the video warns of spoilers! And its not released in the UK til Friday! :(

Still, the conclusion bit seems like the game will be great!
No spoilers in either. Read away. :)