Review: Mass Effect 2

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
What is worrying is that Bioware games, atleast the newer ones, all feel so similar that it almost degrades the fun and immersion I'm having. After the first ME I bought DA:O and it was like: "Whoa, ME with swords!". (kind of like Bethesda games with Oblivion and Fallout).

Everything is structured so similarly, I really hope this game can liven it up a bit. Oh and I think it looks pretty bad that they scrapped the inventory. Why? It looks more like a normal shooter now and given that I didn't really like most of the shooting elements from the first one kind of seems troubling to me.

As for the references to the first game: It's probably troublesome to note that I finished the first and can't remember too much about it, especially the ending apart from 'the earth was saved'. Hope this will provide some fun first playthrough and that the removed RPG elements don't cripple it.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Doug said:
Damnit, I can't read it for fear of spoilers, and the video warns of spoilers! And its not released in the UK til Friday! :(

Still, the conclusion bit seems like the game will be great!
No spoilers in either. Read away. :)
Yay! I can now hype myself up...*runs off to read and watch the video until he ends up in a coma*

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
I wanna a space kitty now... I feel like this game wasmade just for me, why? It came out on my birthday! (Today Jan 26)

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Russ Pitts said:
HT_Black said:
My word, Ms. Arendt! You certainly were on the ball with this one. I mean, it came out...three hours from now?

...I'm confused.
She's a time-traveler. That, or PR reps from EA sent us (and every other videogaming-related publication) a review copy of the game so that we could publish in time for release. Pick whichever explanation makes you happiest.
Did you use a flux capacitor or a wormhole generator? = P

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Kollega said:
GRR! I'M SOOO MACHOOOOO! I LOVE GRIMDAKRRRR! BLOOD, VIOLENCE, AND TITS, RAAAAGH!

If that's the additude this game contains, i may just reconsider my descision to acquire it in any way whatsoever. If shooting innocent people in the face is a Paragon way now (as opposed to being Renegade and torturing them to death) - and i get the feeling it's precisely like that - then no. Thank you very much. If that is really the case, then even improved combat, pitch-perfect writing, brilliant characterization, and space hamster will not redeem Mass Effect 2 in my eyes.

"Empire Strikes Back" my ass. [footnote]Useful note: it's a figure of speech. Be merciful, don't actually "Empire Strikes Back" my ass - please.[/footnote]
Don't worry. I'll give you A New Hope.

Oh, that was painful.

Anyways, yes, Bioware, regardless of how much "soothing" reviewers attempt to do, has apparently missed the point of the Paragon in ME2. The point of being a Paragon was not spilling blood, working through things the right and respectable way, and definitely not making a deal with and working for the single most dangerous entity and man in existance. (Cerberus and the Illusive Man, if you somehow missed that.)

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
I dislike the new clip system. It doesn't really fit in, and it could get annoying. So, they decided that after guns having near-infinite ammo in the past (It was infinite for the game's purposes, but not for the lore), they would backpedal and both waste resources, time, money and lives by downgrading their weapon systems.

It will also be damn irritating to run out in combat, given that it's an RPG, and that some enemies will probably have a lot of health.

Steampunk Viking

Jan 15, 2010
Oh, I had no idea, I'm sorry to hear that... I sympathise, I too have been screwed over by post.

Also, on the subject of "Space Hamsters", Boo and Minsc are almost always referenced somehow in every Bioware game, so this doesn't surprise me. (if people are wondering how they're referenced in Dragon Age, there's an incredibly rare loading screen text that says "If all else fails... go for the eyes!")

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
I'll be getting this once my 360 fixed :)

And I think you should call the hamster 'Special Patrol Group'.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Paragon Fury said:
Anyways, yes, Bioware, regardless of how much "soothing" reviewers attempt to do, has apparently missed the point of the Paragon in ME2. The point of being a Paragon was not spilling blood, working through things the right and respectable way, and definitely not making a deal with and working for the single most dangerous entity and man in existance. (Cerberus and the Illusive Man, if you somehow missed that.)
Really? You don't think a Paragon would make a deal with the devil to save the human race? I disagree completely. Just because you're working with Cerberus doesn't mean you've suddenly gone to the dark side.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Paragon Fury said:
Really? You don't think a Paragon would make a deal with the devil to save the human race? I disagree completely. Just because you're working with Cerberus doesn't mean you've suddenly gone to the dark side.
I don't even need to play the game to deal you that Collector's attacks on the humans are a pittance compared to what they, and the Reapers, have in store for the entire galaxy.

And remember, you're a SPECTRE - you took an oath defend all life in the galaxy, not just humanity. You're part of something bigger than the Alliance and humanity - working with someone who wants nothing more to than to see all other races bowing to the heels of humanity, or simply crushed in our wake and who only is interested in you because you can do that, is kind of the anti-thesis of what your job is supposed to be.

So, no, a Paragon wouldn't work with Cerberus. Since your still a SPECTRE, you can still can when and where you please - and you could easily continue the hunt for the Collectors under the banner of the Conciul or the Alliance as easily as you could under Cerberus. Hell, I don't even see what advantages Cerberus has over the other two - the other two have just extensive, if not more extensive intelligence networks, massive resources, and you could probably recruit a far superior, and less psychotic band of heroes from the "official" channels than you could from Cerberus's pool.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Paragon Fury said:
Susan Arendt said:
Paragon Fury said:
I don't even need to play the game to deal you that Collector's attacks on the humans are a pittance compared to what they, and the Reapers, have in store for the entire galaxy.

And remember, you're a SPECTRE - you took an oath defend all life in the galaxy, not just humanity. You're part of something bigger than the Alliance and humanity - working with someone who wants nothing more to than to see all other races bowing to the heels of humanity, or simply crushed in our wake and who only is interested in you because you can do that, is kind of the anti-thesis of what your job is supposed to be.

So, no, a Paragon wouldn't work with Cerberus. Since your still a SPECTRE, you can still can when and where you please - and you could easily continue the hunt for the Collectors under the banner of the Conciul or the Alliance as easily as you could under Cerberus. Hell, I don't even see what advantages Cerberus has over the other two - the other two have just extensive, if not more extensive intelligence networks, massive resources, and you could probably recruit a far superior, and less psychotic band of heroes from the "official" channels than you could from Cerberus's pool.
With all due respect, you haven't played the game, so you don't know the full story of why Shepard is working with Cerberus. Perhaps if you did, you'd feel differently.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Kollega said:
Not having Mako still sucks big fat torpedo, though. Why do you look at me like that, it handled perfectly well in PC version!
No MAKO???

The problem wasn't the Mako. Driving the Mako was fun. The problem was that the planet surfaces weren't interesting or varied enough and that there were no hints where interesting stuff/minerals would be, so you would have to tediously search the entire surface to find everything.

And that new way of scouting minerals sounds just about as fun as sucking monkeyballs in space.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Paragon Fury said:
Don't worry. I'll give you A New Hope.

Oh, that was painful.
Indeed it was.

Paragon Fury said:
There is still a chance - if Paragon Shepard totaly screws over Illusive Man, throws a couple of spanners in the works of Cerberus, and legs it. Little bit of violence toward jerks is always excusable, even for nice guys. But i seriously doubt it will happen.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Really looking forward to playing this! Great review Susan!

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Paragon Fury said:
Susan Arendt said:
Paragon Fury said:
With all due respect, you haven't played the game, so you don't know the full story of why Shepard is working with Cerberus. Perhaps if you did, you'd feel differently.
MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT.

SERIOUSLY. DO NOT READ THE REST OF MY POST IF YOU DON'T WANT THIS PART RUINED.

I AM NOT KIDDING.

Yes, I know Cerberus brings Shepard back to life. That doesn't equate to Shepard owing them anything. Except maybe a few well-placed slugs.