Review: Metro 2033

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Review: Metro 2033

Despite a load of good ideas, Metro 2033 doesn't quite make the grade.

Read Full Article

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Horrid review. Simply horrid. The worst "official" review I've seen on this site, actually.

Metro 2033 has quite possibly the best stealth I've ever seen. It's better stealth than Splinter Cell: Conviction, imo.

Dirty Bullets "laughably weak"?

I don't know what your were playing, but I beat the game on Normal with little trouble. And never fired a single military grade round. Not even once. Towards the end, as a LOOTING MASTER, I had 700 SMG/Rifle rounds. 250 shotgun shells. 200 revolver rounds. And I used a lot of that on the "Librarians". Seriously. Those things suck. I had like 300 SMG rounds left after that level, and a few shotgun shells.

Oh, yeah. I managed to stealth through nearly every area that had human enemies. Often without killing ANYONE. This game doesn't hold your hand. I had to use trial and error to accomplish my stealth.

In fact, the only really bad element of the game were the amoeba...things towards the end.

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
I disagree with this review strongly. Feeling underpowered isn't a flaw, its a benefit. I'm sick of playing Rambo, vulnerability adds tension. Plus, they had a very famous novel to follow, they couldn't exactly let the player do whatever the heck they wanted.

If you're a narrative driven player, or just one who likes their shooters to be a little more difficult, you should really pick this one up.

EDIT - Also, I agree with Onyx, dirty rounds are all you need if you're careful. But don't spray and pray like you do in most shooters or you'll end up out of bullets altogether.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
I don't think this was quite the spiritual successor to STALKER that I was hoping it would be, but it's an interesting experiment nonetheless.

If this review has any relation to my opinion of it, then this shall be a solid rental.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Based on this review, the game sounds a lot like Far Cry. Broken stealth mechanics, underpowered weapons and overpowered mutants do not make a particularly good game - regardless of graphical fidelity and physics engine complexity. The underdeveloped characters and themes just reek of generic shooter to me, so I'll give it a miss.

The source material at least sounds interesting, though.
Blackadder51 said:
Uh im getting a 404 on the link
That would be because the article technically wasn't published. It's up now.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Yeah, Nils first video review (i think, correct me if I'm wrong)

anyways, this seems so... done before. from the look and sound of it it's just another generic FPS, among the many others, nothing makes it stand out.

Mar 30, 2010
Crunchy English said:
I disagree with this review strongly. Feeling underpowered isn't a flaw, its a benefit. I'm sick of playing Rambo, vulnerability adds tension. Plus, they had a very famous novel to follow, they couldn't exactly let the player do whatever the heck they wanted.

If you're a narrative driven player, or just one who likes their shooters to be a little more difficult, you should really pick this one up.

EDIT - Also, I agree with Onyx, dirty rounds are all you need if you're careful. But don't spray and pray like you do in most shooters or you'll end up out of bullets altogether.
Spot on.

Metro: 2033 does a very good job of keeping the player feeling edgy and vulnerable, which is important when the whole point of the game is that Artyom has been sent on a mission that he's totally unprepared for.

I don't feel this is a bad game at all, I feel the review has missed the point.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
I also completely disagree with this review! I have ONE bad thing to say about this game, and that is the aiming is not as smooth as it could be. But that was MINOR compared to the awesome atmosphere, the (imo) suitably depressed voice overs of artyom, the extremely fast loading times, the awesome graphic, the fantastic! incorporation of gas masks and night vision goggles, the varied gameplay between stealth, shooting and dealing with mutants...

It seems the reviewer is angry because he wasnt particulary good at it. Granted the stealth sections can be hard since there is no quicksave in this game...but that just makes it more exciting! And you dont HAVE to stealth, you can whip out your weapons and fire away if you want to.

I advice people to try it out and dont judge the game on this review, it completely misses the mark.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
is the escapist have an office in The UK now? it the first time i heard some one outside the states do a review on this site. (besides zero punctuation)

SomeBoredGuy

Nov 18, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Horrid review. Simply horrid. The worst review I've seen on this site, actually.

Metro 2033 has quite possibly the best stealth I've ever seen. It's better stealth than Splinter Cell: Conviction, imo.

I don't know what your were playing, but I beat the game on Normal with little trouble. And never fired a single military grade round. Not even once. Towards the end, as a LOOTING MASTER, I had 700 SMG/Rifle rounds. 250 shotgun shells. 200 revolver rounds. And I used a lot of that on the "Librarians". Seriously. Those things suck. I had like 300 SMG rounds left after that level, and a few shotgun shells.

Oh, yeah. I managed to stealth through nearly every area that had human enemies. Often without killing ANYONE.

In fact, the only really bad element of the game were the amoeba...things towards the end.
Woah. Just because you disagree with the review, doesn't make it "horrid". And trust me, you'll find way worse in the User Reviews section.

OT: I haven't actually played the game so I can't really comment on how true the facts are. I wasn't really intending to buy this anyway, and I'm still unchanged.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I really enjoyed the game, but, I do certainly agree with the review...the game could have been done so much better

I loved the inclusion of the Nazi's lol, hilarious

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
someboredguy said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Woah. Just because you disagree with the review, doesn't make it "horrid". And trust me, you'll find way worse in the User Reviews section.
Oh god. I disagree completely. And yes, I meant in the "offical review" capacity. The ones from the "staff".

I've seen MUCH worse in User Reviews.

VanBasten

Aug 20, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
nothing makes it stand out.
Except the atmosphere, which is one of the best I've experienced in shooters recently.

It seems to me that the reviewer rushed through the game and focused too much on slight technical things(no prone or lean? seriously, that's a problem?) and missed a lot of the actual game.

FPS elements are admittedly a bit clunky, but nowhere near as bad as the reviewer suggest. Stealth is actually pretty decent, and the game overall is really not hard(I haven't fired a single round of military grade ammo on normal and I only died a couple of times).

Regarding story, I for one think the game doesn't need giant flashing sings or expositions that explain absolutely every single detail of everything that's going on, it's nice to see a game that keeps a little mystery and lets you draw your own conclusions.

So, I guess chalk this comment up as another one in the disagree strongly column.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
zombie711 said:
is the escapist have an office in The UK now? it the first time i heard some one outside the states do a review on this site. (besides zero punctuation)
Nope; they get freelance articles for the weekly issue form across the world, and several news writers from past and present live outside the States.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
I'm enjoying the game, but I'm preferring the book. The characters and some situations are the same, but the book has more parts like the Ghosts level, where it's actually the tunnels themselves that are the adversary. There's very little in the way of actual action so far, it's more a psychological journey.

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
Decent review. You covered a lot of the points that as a whole took away from the game, but the thing that I noticed is that this game is weird in that it looks different to different people, not in a "I dislike X type game but like A" but in a "I see a square while someone else sees a circle" way. For instance another poster mentioned their stealthing the humans (kudos by the way, I got caught every single damn time) was the way they played the game while you said you felt that the game lent itself to more a run and gun type game, but when I played it I got the idea that this went for the slightly more realistic feel, the use of the gas mask, weak ammo and health making this game seem more like a survival or realism game, and since it was released as fps/survival horror game I thought it did this really well. For instance the ammo seemed underpowered to me but I felt that they wanted you to have to fight every battle slowly, using a dart gun to pick off the first few guys silently then going all out with the AK.

Other than that, I felt you got a lot right, I thought the story was a bit iffy as well and totally agree on their misuse of atmosphere, always pushing us forward taking away a lot from what could have been a better game.

As a last point: 2 stars? Ouch. I disliked parts but thats a downright head-butt, specially to a developers first game, maybe not as individuals but as a group its definitely a fantastic first release.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Based on the video supplement the reviewer isn't very good at shooters. Standing in wide open spaces and randomly shooting, with very bad accuracy, at the enemies is not the way to survive. No wonder he died as many times as he said he did.

I myself beat the game on hard and only found a few difficult areas which is common. As many others said, you really don't have to use the military grade ammo to beat the game, I used it only at the very end when I ran out of regular ammo.

Also, the stealth is pretty good and the complaining how once you are discovered everybody will know where you are. Well, that's because they are searching for you, when you know that your opponent is somewhere as opposed to just walking around it is much easier to spot someone. And it was easy to get stealthy kills using the throwing knives or that dart gun.

Though I would have to agree on some of the parts of the review. The story wasn't very well told, could have been much better. Also, most of the inhabited (human) locations were really underdeveloped. You finally fight your way out of the tunnels filled with joy when you see a friendly face and then a loading screen and you immediately have to leave. No chance to do anything except buy stuff for the journey ahead. Aryom is in a hurry but this part could have used more interaction and showcasing as it offers a nice change from the dreary subway.

But definitely not 2 stars.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
zombie711 said:
i noticed that too, im grateful to actually hear another UK voice aside from ZPs. no offence to all the americans, canadians and australians, but they are all i hear
OT: the game would be better if it was more sandbox. you know, taking missions to the surface, earning money and slowing the pace of the story a bit. the speed that the levels go by make it lose a it of atmosphere. the limited ammo overall makes it suck a bit
my major problem is with the collision - enemies constantly stand IN you as they melee you, and your shots then miss until you run away then turn around, it makes it a lot easier to let your allies kill most enemies
I LOVED THE STEALTH
shoot out a light. two guys come to investigate, then shoot/stab both of them!
overall, i would give it 3.5/5. you are right, it does miss some polish, and some areas are lacking, such as a lack of freedom and the story moves too fast

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Given that a lot of people are saying they're liking this, it seems like the game reviewer isn't a fan of underpowered heroes in FPSs. While I might have a problem if this were say Crisis where the loaded onto the game trailer has you picking up people in the middle of a hail of bullets and throwing them away when the game itself will have you sneaking around in your power armor instead, I'd say that it may work here. Also, while I didn't really like Fallout 3 (didn't really do it for me) the whole survival element where you have to scavenge and choose what you want and what you need to make it in the world appealed to me, and it looks like this game has something similar going on. I may give it a rental, if only because of the other users here, but that's all I can say I'd do.

Apr 28, 2008
Hm...

The reviewers say its not that great, yet many, many gamers say its great.
I'ma have to go with the gamers on this one. After all, they're what introduced me to the sexiness that is S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
[sub][sub]Thank you[/sub][/sub]

Decent reviews, but the things you described sound like they could actually provide a challenge. After all the damn shooters where I'm basically a god, I long for something that will gladly kick my ass. Like S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

SirDerick

Nov 9, 2009
If one more person says the librarians take too many bullets to kill, ima smack them.

edit: Maybe I should have specified that if you stare at the faces of the lybrarian without shooting, they don't attack you.

syndicated44

Apr 25, 2009
From what I played of it, it really seemed that the game was built around the idea of using that new 3d whatnot. Overall I was pretty meh by it but then again I only got up to the third or fourth level at my friends.

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
I found this to be a great game. I didn't think too highly of the stealth, but then I'm of the opinion that no game besides the Thief series has done stealth correctly yet. The story was a bit weak and underdeveloped, but was good enough for a FPS. Let's face it, a lot of FPS' have much less story than this game! I actually enjoyed the weaker feeling of the weapons, given that they were supposed to be ancient, primitive and/or cobbled together. I have to admit not understanding what the author was saying about them being incredibly weak, I found a single shotgun blast would do for most of the opponents in the game. It wasn't until later that I started to run into mutants who could take a lot more punishment than that.

So, I find I disagree with the original author a bit, though he has a couple of good points. I'd give it more a 3.5 or so, it's a lot better than a 2 star game. It's not Half-Life, but it's still fun.

Baconmonster723

Mar 4, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Horrid review. Simply horrid. The worst "official" review I've seen on this site, actually.

Oh, yeah. I managed to stealth through nearly every area that had human enemies. Often without killing ANYONE. This game doesn't hold your hand. I had to use trial and error to accomplish my stealth.

This. In fact I've seen from past threads that we sit eye to eye on pretty much everything about this game. It isn't the best game, but it is one hell of a ride. It's a blast to stealth around, because not only is the stealth system fair, it's realistic. Every person you meet is going to be cautious, when they see something or someone they aren't just gonna say "oh he's gone now it's safe." No they will find you and kill you before they relax. Can't tell you how many times I was stealthing through an area, got sloppy and stood in too much light, or got sloppy and stepped on some glass, or over a tripwire. It's fantastic, and quite possibly one of the best stealth systems on the market.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
someboredguy said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Horrid review. Simply horrid. The worst review I've seen on this site, actually.

Oh, yeah. I managed to stealth through nearly every area that had human enemies. Often without killing ANYONE.

OT: I haven't actually played the game so I can't really comment on how true the facts are. I wasn't really intending to buy this anyway, and I'm still unchanged.
The review is horrid though. Just the line "it feels like you should be able to run and gun" makes this review bad IMO. I haven't actually played the game so I don't know what it actually feels like, but from what I've seen and read so far(which is a lot because I'm strongly considering to buy this game), it definitely did not seem that "run and gun" gameplay was intended.

Baconmonster723

Mar 4, 2009
SirDerick said:
If one more person says the librarians take too many bullets to kill, ima smack them.

edit: Maybe I should have specified that if you stare at the faces of the lybrarian without shooting, they don't attack you.
Good to know, when I first met one, that's pretty much what I assumed, considering he and I had a Chronicles of Riddick staring contest before I pooed my pants and panic shot it with my AK...

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
I'm at that bit now.

DAMNNIT MAN RUN. NO, CAUTION IS BAD. RUN YOU GODDAMN TROGLODYTE.

I haven't played for about a week because of those fucking things.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
The Cheezy One said:
zombie711 said:
i noticed that too, im grateful to actually hear another UK voice aside from ZPs. no offence to all the americans, canadians and australians, but they are all i hear
We're an American company. It's really so surprising to hear American accents from the staff?

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Hm. Alot of people here praise Metro. It looks damn interesting. I'll have to look into it fast. Looks great and actually seems to pose a challenge. Which reminds me, I have to play STALKER!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Hazy said:
I don't think this was quite the spiritual successor to STALKER that people
Who thought it was going to be a spiritual successor? Even I know they're completely different and I haven't played either.

OT: Well, this is one incredibly harsh review compared to what others have given it. I'm still going to check it out (eventually).

Oh, and for the love of God if a game's primary platform is the PC then can we please review it on that?

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
The review is missing the banner on the homepage.

Also the review seems to only focus on the bad. I haven't played Metro 2033 and don't plan on doing so, but i hear most of people who did liked it, and loads of other reviewers gave it good reviews weeks ago, so there is something fishy here.

Also:
Woodsey said:
Oh, and for the love of God if a game's primary platform is the PC then can we please review it on that?
this.

mazery

Nov 20, 2008
i enjoyed the review. thought it was nice to hear someone being critical about games on here that?s not yahtzee. lord knows a reviewer that is worth his salt will be critical but remember to make. Preferred him to the sellout Russ Pits.

Jiki

Jan 21, 2008
This review is actually unfairly hurtful to the game - people, who have played it, see it for a game with some broken things, but still very much worth a play, but people, who have only read this review, now see it as ordinarily bad and hence skip it, which would actually be quite a mistake.

Also, if that really is the reviewer playing in that vid, then I?m afraid I have to agree with nhgifnd since, you see, as a reviewer I don't think you should play any game like any other game, but instead try to understand what the game tries to do and then evaluate how well it manages that. Like for example this game didn?t try to be like a run?n?gun shooter, examples be the stealth, pneumatic weapons and so, but something a bit different. It doesn?t quite manage to be the best of its kind, but so didn?t assassin?s creed. Hopefully they learn from their mistakes and use the knowledge in the future. Just don't teach them to be like any other stealther/shooter.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Woodsey said:
Hazy said:
I don't think this was quite the spiritual successor to STALKER that people
Who thought it was going to be a spiritual successor? Even I know they're completely different and I haven't played either.
Did you miss my footnote? I suppose I should go edit the post just in case people get the wrong idea. :p

With some of the developers of STALKER backing this (Or so I've heard,) I'd say it was fair for me to assume this would share some similarities with it, namely the atmosphere and tone.

TheBritish

The really, quite jolly rascal
Nov 12, 2009
The truth is that almost everything the reviewer said, I felt was broadly true... BUT it didn't make for a bad game. The game is good. If people still want to play a game despite it's flaws, it's because there's a coin glittering in the mud that's worth digging for.

I do however feel that this game, is another STALKER... to like it... you have to approach it a certain way. It's fairly common in all games from Ukraine and thereabouts that they are... and there's no other word to use "hardcore". They tend to be intense and difficult, but underlying it, there's a great game, if you realise that you're -definately- not playing Call of Duty. You're not a super-soldier. You're in fact a scared boy in the tunnels.

I do kind of think that stealth is broken slightly too. Only slightly! And it's nowhere near as bad as the reviewer implies. They won't "always" know where you are, but within a certain area, they're pretty damn sure :)

Oh and the book, was better, but by god did this game amaze me for a first time studio release.

The review is... "harsh", but not... "wrong" :) I've always said that the problem with review scores is that really all you need to know is "is this game worth playing" and at least in my opinion, it's at least worth a demo, if not a purchase.

EDIT- Darn, now people are going to think I'm a fanboi of the book and that's why I support the game. Actually, I plaeyd the game and decided I wanted to read the book -after-. :)

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Unless I'm mistaken, most of the guys that worked on this project were also some of the heads that worked on GSC's original STALKER project. So it's not like the didn't have any experience (as some would claim, the studio's 'first title', rather than a 'split off' co,pany that worked on one of the most refreshing shooters in the last 10 years), that being said, I kinda liked it. It wasn't a bad romp ... couple of niggling moments ... but otherwise an overall refreshing take on action/SH genre.

Games like these tend to polarise people into 'Like'/'thought was meh' crowds.

In this case, given many would LOVE it ... and many wouldn't (both having valid reasons to do so) ... I reckon 3 stars would more accurately describe the game in terms of 'enjoyment'

TheAmazingTGIF

Friday Only Superhero
Aug 5, 2009
I am really sorry for this, but this sentence kept bugging me the entire review:
"...under threat from the Dark Ones, a race of psychic boogeymen called the Dark Ones..."

The Cheezy One

Dec 13, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
The Cheezy One said:
zombie711 said:
We're an American company. It's really so surprising to hear American accents from the staff?
not as such, and actually there is so much of a mix of accents and nationalities, i didnt even know it was based in America, but as far as i can remember, the only UK voice i have heard is Mr Croshaws. I actually thought that the Escapist was an international based thing, and that there just happened to be a lot of Americans
And of course Susan, your accent is what livens up my weeks [smarmy grin]!

Stylish_Robot

Dec 29, 2008
TheAmazingTGIF said:
I am really sorry for this, but this sentence kept bugging me the entire review:
"...under threat from the Dark Ones, a race of psychic boogeymen called the Dark Ones..."
damn, beat me to it

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
I had the chance to play a portion of the game in 3D at PAX East and it was totally awesome.

That experience, coupled with this review, has led me to conclude that any game, no matter how unfortunate, can be awesome in 3D.

Have you ever washed the dishes man...in 3D!?(Queue John Stewart's cameo in Half Baked)

Serum211

Sep 28, 2009
I havent really played the game so this is more or less senterd on the review itself.

The arguments are okay. But most of them seem to come from the fact that game maybe designed to be hard. If it was not designed to be hard, well then its clearly design problem. Overall a decent review

And guys, stop hitting on this review. I mean just because someone else has a diffrent opinion then you its suddenly a ''horrid review''.

FastFoot92

Jun 4, 2009
Baconmonster723 said:
This. In fact I've seen from past threads that we sit eye to eye on pretty much everything about this game. It isn't the best game, but it is one hell of a ride. It's a blast to stealth around, because not only is the stealth system fair, it's realistic. Every person you meet is going to be cautious, when they see something or someone they aren't just gonna say "oh he's gone now it's safe." No they will find you and kill you before they relax. Can't tell you how many times I was stealthing through an area, got sloppy and stood in too much light, or got sloppy and stepped on some glass, or over a tripwire. It's fantastic, and quite possibly one of the best stealth systems on the market.
Oh that stealth syestem! They tricked me into using it in that Nazi occupied station. I was sneaking up on the two un-armoured sentrys and,those clever bastards, they started talking abut their families! How could I kill them now? Damn you 4a games

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Hmmm I disagree with your review.

While the gunplay is slightly sub par, its meant to be. Home made salvage ammunition is low velocity and wimpy. Russian calibres and munitions are notoriously underpowered. The games Russian. So explain to me how the guns being weak is a deficit of the game ? It just made me aim properly. You dont have to ruin and gun in fact run and gunning got me killed consistently so I stopped used my brain and thought out my attacks.

The subway stations are meant to a small part of the game what do you want oblivionesque fetch quests ? In regards to spiritual succession mentioned in other posts given the plot of the game a STALKEResque freeroaming game would have quickly became boring.

As far as Im concerned I loved it and have recommended it as a must buy to friends and family. The mutants are truly unpleasant and creepy, the AI is decent enough and the POV and graphics are suitably claustrophobic and unpleasant :D Having sarted playing it after Call Of Pripryat Im happy to say Metro 2033 is a magnitude scarier and while not as tense the scares come solidly in a player theartening manner.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
TheBritish said:
The truth is that almost everything the reviewer said, I felt was broadly true... BUT it didn't make for a bad game. The game is good. If people still want to play a game despite it's flaws, it's because there's a coin glittering in the mud that's worth digging for.

I do however feel that this game, is another STALKER... to like it... you have to approach it a certain way. It's fairly common in all games from Ukraine and thereabouts that they are... and there's no other word to use "hardcore". They tend to be intense and difficult, but underlying it, there's a great game, if you realise that you're -definately- not playing Call of Duty. You're not a super-soldier. You're in fact a scared boy in the tunnels.

I do kind of think that stealth is broken slightly too. Only slightly! And it's nowhere near as bad as the reviewer implies. They won't "always" know where you are, but within a certain area, they're pretty damn sure :)

Oh and the book, was better, but by god did this game amaze me for a first time studio release.

The review is... "harsh", but not... "wrong" :) I've always said that the problem with review scores is that really all you need to know is "is this game worth playing" and at least in my opinion, it's at least worth a demo, if not a purchase.

EDIT- Darn, now people are going to think I'm a fanboi of the book and that's why I support the game. Actually, I plaeyd the game and decided I wanted to read the book -after-. :)
How does the book hold up ?

TheBritish

Nov 12, 2009
LimaBravo said:
How does the book hold up ?
The book has far less combat and far less surface time. It's more about things like "fate" and the main enemy is "fear" rather than people. I really liked it. Creepy and scary at times, always kept me pushing forwards to figure out what was going on and the ending was just... You read it and just feel like it all makes so much sense :)

I havn't finished the game yet, so I can't really compare the two to the end, but... Aw hell, I liked the book. That's all I can really tell you :) I'm now hunting for a copy of Metro-2035 :)

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
anyways, this seems so... done before. from the look and sound of it it's just another generic FPS, among the many others, nothing makes it stand out.
Yeah... excpet the atmostphere, story, world and survival horror aspects. This is one of the least 'generic' FPS games i've played in years.

Having to put on the gask mask and the clostrophobic feel of your breathing and the edges of you FOV, the well presented, if a little cryptic, story. But once again it's the world of Metro 2033 that elevates it above the sea of medicority into what can tentitivly be described as a flawed masterpeice.

The thing that reminds me most of STALKER about this game is how people seem to miss the point in their reveiws. The blobs were annoying but the underlying game was very strong, original and bold in it's undertaking. The lack of power is meant to feed into the fear and reflect the fact you are a nobody from a metro station. There was a great atricle here about how taking power away from the player is what REALLY brings about fear in a game.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Also the PC version is once again the one to play, it's just all round better. I think this reveiw was based off the 360 game.

Yeah i double posted so shoot me

Nikajo

Feb 6, 2009
I honestly cannot understand why people don't like this game. Yes it's difficult in places, yes sometimes the enemies seem to be bulletproof yes the stealth is hard but why would you want a game you can breeze through?

"Your only option is to run and gun"...? Clearly somebody has never heard of sniping. I went through this entire game (on normal difficulty) without firing a single round of the military grade ammo.

Kinda hoping Yahtzee will review this game soon. He'll probably say its rubbish but looking forward to the jokes none the less :)

p.s. for people having trouble with the librarians - pneumatic arrow launcher, fully pumped up will kill a librarian in one shot to the head. And then you can take the arrow back. Just a little ammo saving advice :)

VanBasten

Aug 20, 2009
theownerer said:
wow that looks terrible. Glad I avoided it.
Maybe read the rest of the comments in this thread before you post, as most of those disagree strongly with the review, and may give you a bit of a broader picture.

theownerer

Aug 9, 2009
VanBasten said:
theownerer said:
wow that looks terrible. Glad I avoided it.
Maybe read the rest of the comments in this thread before you post, as most of those disagree strongly with the review, and may give you a bit of a broader picture.
I know but just that brief moment of gameplay where he walked around sluggishly walks around and shoots a guy in the face with a shotgun to have him survive, just really puts me off.

Bobbovski

May 19, 2008
I liked it personally. I felt that it was very interesting and atmospheric. But yes, it could have been done better.

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
Something about his review just seemed off.
Like he set out to play it run and gun and just gave up when he realised it dosen't work that way.
Still want to get this when the price drops.

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
I've only play a little under an hour into the game so far and i must say i disagree with pretty much everything said in the review. "run and gun" take an extra half second and aim then there is no problem, its not supposed to be easy, if you could run and gun your way through the entire game the atmosphere wouldn't be nearly as immersive and scary as it it. It is aiming for that survival horror feel the weaker guns and the bullet counting are all part of this.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
SPARTA!!!

but seriously, everything I've seen about this game shows a lot to be liked but with some sloppy gameplay
might give it a look some time, but probably wouldn't invest in it (might take a look at the book tho)

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
whose home station is under threat from the Dark Ones, a race of psychic boogeymen called the Dark Ones
Is it me or was this review a bit rushed.

No problems with the game. It was a throwback to the good old days when not everything was handled by the game and stealth wasn't a poor excuse for diversity.

UtopiaV1

Feb 8, 2009
New reviewer? (and the 4000+ posts under your name says you're not!) Or have i just not heard anything he's done for the 3 years i've been here?

You're alright, but could we have less opinions on personal game preferences and more solid facts, followed by opinions on facts? I thought that's what a reviewer was supposed to do, remove their own preferences and dis/likes from the game, review in a broad way to how everyone will experience it, then say what you did and didn't like from your own experiences of playing it? Watch a few of Susan Arendt's recent reviews, they were very well written.

I still want to get M2033, i love hard FPS's that require the use of stealth, tactics and resource-management. Apparently though, you love (and were expecting) Quake 3 or somesuch :D

dryg

Feb 8, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

QFTW, best sp game in a long time imo
And why do you never make any PC reviews exept if its PC only?

s_glasgow99

Jan 8, 2010
Not only do I disagree with this this review, but I want to point out that this is a very important game, that, like Heavy Rain, if it does well, will be making waves in the industry.
I'm talking about the 'story based shooter'. Like Bioshock, like Fallout 3.(maybe less like Fallout 3 but you get the picture) These game designers are going out of their way to immerse you in a story that's more than just running through a set and shooting things. If we don't show how much these kind of games are important to us, then they will all but disappear as did the adventure games of yore.

faselei

Jul 19, 2008
Good review.

Nice to hear a UK accent, they are clearer and less grating for my ears :p

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
So, I didn't play 2033.

One question burns in my brain.

Why the hell are there nazi's?

TheBritish

Nov 12, 2009
De Ronneman said:
So, I didn't play 2033.

Well...
In the book they're just described as "Fascists". The idea is that after the bombs dropped and people were thrown in together all kinds of ideologies came about. In the book they weren't "traditional" Nazis, but they were damn close. There are also Communists, Christians, Cannibals and god knows what else :))

ClunkiestTurtle

Feb 19, 2010
While i have yet to play the game so for now i can't comment on his accuracy, i like his style of reviewing more then most of the other reviewers on this site who all sound exactly the same down to the number of words and timing of each sentence.

Personally i prefer video reviews to written reviews and would love them to develop them more.

chenry

Oct 31, 2007
I actually thought that Metro 2033 was one of the best story-driven FPSs in recent years. Certainly better than the multitude of Super Solider driven modern war shooters.

The story was interesting and well-told. The environment was deeply enthralling, both the frozen, nuclear-blasted over-world and the claustrophobic and grimy underworld.

The fact that Military-Grade ammo is both money AND bullets is sort of the point. It's not a downside to the game, it's a feature. You're given the choice of either saving it for more powerful guns, or using it to survive a fire-fight. It's not so much no-win, as an active choice on the part of the gamer. It's a win-now versus win-later scenario; instant gratification or gratification later-on.

Although I did find that the automatic shotgun was woefully underpowered. Hitting anything with that felt hollow, like I was either missing or it didn't even work. The double-barreled Duplet shotgun was much more effective, especially when giving both barrels at point-blank.

I also thought the stealth elements of the game were really well done. You're not a super-soldier, so sticking to the shadows with the spear-gun or super-bb-gun worked really well for me.

I'll admit the game's not perfect though. The shooting tends to feel a little on the hollow side. The enemies seem to just absorb the rounds rather then react to them. Especially with the aforementioned shotgun. Occasionally the enemy will stumble after getting hit, but most of the time they seem impervious until they actually die.

And on the x360, the controls kind of suck. The inventory could have used a lot of work. For only having like 6 or 8 items, it can be hard to select them.

OH. And play the game in English. I know the voice acting isn't very good, but when you play it in Russian, the game doesn't subtitle EVERYTHING that's being said. You can miss some really important stuff. In one level I got stuck and frustrated because one of the conversations you can listen-in on actually gives you the trick to beating the level. But it's all in unsubtitled Russian, so I missed it. VERY FRUSTRATING.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
I love Metro 2033, it is graphically impressive and has some very nice, well directed and intense scripted events.

Ardenon

Sep 7, 2009
Disagreeing with the review. This game offers much what no other game can't to this date. Like it was said, the review was based too much on own opinion and less on facts. I've played it and enjoyed every moment of it. You won't see me complaining about a failed shotgun fire because if I was forced to move out of cover just to get close and make a good shot, well then I'd be prity damn dead. In my opinion, the best part that stands out is in fact that you are no super powered Gordon Freeman, but more human. You can't even take more than 2 hits (on hard difficulty) in crucial body parts without dying, which is sometimes a personal slip up while stealthing, or a bad looking out of cover timing. Dislike it if you want, but it only brings you more to reality, which is most games are trying to do nowadays. You can see full game play on youtube and still make a good judgemen, but still can't beat the actual gameplay experience.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Woodsey said:
For christ sakes this.

The Experience changes console to console, it's not rocket science.

Besides that I disagreed with the review heavily, emphasis on the line "It seems like you should be able to run and gun..." was a clear sign that he's never played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Game.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
I think I have to jump on the "don't bash the review" bandwagon. While he may have had a different experience with and opinion of the game than some of you did, the review itself is fairly informative and sounds like it covers its bases pretty well. It's not like he's bashing the game; he describes its various elements and notes potential flaws with them given what he disliked/had trouble with himself.

I haven't played the game and this review still makes it sound interesting to me, despite being a fairly negative review. A review is "bad" when it doesn't really review the game at all. Such a review doesn't convey any useful information to a reader with which to base a judgment on whether to try the game or not. As long as the review is informative, even if it's giving a negative score, a reader can make a judgment call on the game. Granted I'm still not going to get it, but I never planned to - I don't have an appetite for a first person shooter right now other than some L4D/2 with a few friends now and then. The review at least put this game on my radar as a possible point of interest.

If you blindly follow a review's score without considering the actual content described and how it might suit you differently from the reviewer who played the game, that's not the review's fault. That's a problem with the audience.

Oh, sidenote: to the guy who first posted about this game having the best stealth ever - have you played Thief? Just curious.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Totally agree. The reviewer is not identifying the plot as a major mover, and how it hints at you at the subtle decisions to be made in the game. The sense that it should be run through defies imagination, as you do not have sufficient ammunition, and TO GET THE PROPER ENDING you must be a PARAGON, and avoid unneeded bloodshed.

Crunchy English

Aug 20, 2008
I don't think bashing the review is necessarily bashing the Reviewer. Certainly I don't want to start a monstrous flame attack on Mr. Westbrook, I normally agree with his sentiments. But I kind of panic when I see a 2-Star review and words like "laughably" "Sucking" or "Too Simple". I want people to PLAY this, and the worst offense of all is the parting words: "but you won't miss much if you skip it."

That's... I mean, that's just wrong. I feel very strongly that that is a downright false statement.

I don't mean to jump on the Reviewer, if I thought any portion of the staff here at the Escapist were anything but consummate professionals, I'd read something else. This is about warning gamers that Mr. Westbrook's review isn't as bottom-line as its being presented. This isn't Golden Axe: Beast Rider or Rogue Warrior, this is a game that some, maybe even most, may not like but those who do will have found a real gem.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Kazaa, a resounding 'Meh' for a game that didn't even get the publicity to be called as much. Good for the gaming world, then.

Ashtaron

Apr 5, 2009
There are many, many things wrong with this review but seriously, "based on Xbox 360 version of the game"? It's screaming "PC game" at you from the very beginning.

ninja51

Mar 28, 2010
I actually love this game. ya it has flaws, but this review seems like the reviewer got pissed, and never stopped being pissed through the game. I understand the game is ment for a small minority of gamers, but this was a rant not an actual critical review.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:

In fact, the only r

I second what youeally bad element of the game were the amoeba...things towards the end.
Onyx Oblivion said:

I agree w/ you on all counts except one.

I wasn't much of a looting master, so I didn't have nearly as much ammo as it seems you did.

Great game tho. I was thinking of playing it again w/ the language changed just for fun : )

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
Yeah I loved the game. To me it was a bland grey FPS shooter done right. I mean I wish there was more physiological aspects of the game, I really felt like the game was trying to convey it more then it actually did. As for enemies or the stealth I really didn't have a problem. The game allows you to sneak past all the enemies, often though you have to wait and observe. The game is also very specific about were you have to hit people to get them to die with one shot.

Good review, I just don't agree with it.

Though the fucking amoebas at the end of the game warrants it the loss of a star or two.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
let me just say that the 360 version has a lower framerate, worse graphics, worse sound quality, pretty much worse everything. if Logan knew what he was talking about, he should´ve played the PC version, which is far superior.

Makszi

Apr 1, 2010
I'm starting to lose faith in The Escapist's reviewers... First they mutilated Just Cause 2 (which is a fucking incredible game) and now this too, it'd be really cool if they had people who play a variety of video games to review video games instead of amateurs who don't like the games because they are bad at them.

kibayasu

Jan 3, 2008
Maybe I'm just that good, but I've played through Metro 2033 a few times on Normal and Hard and when I wanted to run and gun I did so just as easily as stealthing. Killed every Communist and Facist in "Frontline?" Done it. Didn't kill anyone in "Black Station?" Done it. Some of the video clips used in the supplement seemed dreadfully contrived as well. Standing out in the middle of three or four guys and not even hiding behind a wall when you have to reload? Even in Serious Sam you still have to occasionally hide behind things.

And those damned Librarians will still occasionally attack you even if you stare at them.

MadCat55329

Nov 18, 2009
I'd like to jump on the bandwagon and say that I had a much different experience with this game than the reviewer did, while certainly not an incredible work, I found that Metro 2033 provided me with something that I've been missing from comparable first person shooters recently. I played the PC release and found a game that to me seems more like a throwback to games like Half-Life than it feels like a game from the current generation, which to me is a good thing, possibly because I'm a curmudgeon and hate everything new.

Between a relatively understated narrative, reliance on iron sight aiming, and a near constant tension caused by the all-or-nothing stealth approach to the firefights against other humans I found myself enjoying Metro far more enthralling than your standard Modern Warfare or Gears of War-style affair. I may have simply been in the mood for a survival-horror game at the time.

While I enjoyed the mechanics and atmosphere of the game, the AI was really nothing to write home about, and many of the environments, while breathtaking are not necessarily imaginative places in which to shoot men in the face. Overall though, Metro 2033 is probably a game that's both interesting enough and short enough to come back to again in a year or a few months, which for me is far more than I can say for Red Faction: Guerrilla which I received with this one in a bundle deal on Steam.

VanBasten

Aug 20, 2009
Shjade said:
If you blindly follow a review's score without considering the actual content described and how it might suit you differently from the reviewer who played the game, that's not the review's fault. That's a problem with the audience.
It's nice that you're idealistic, and I wish that were the case, but most people just focus on the score, see 2 stars out of 5, which translates to 40% or the equivalent of an utter crap game by today's ratings standards(basically anything under 80% these days gets classified as crap). It sucks, but that's just the way it is. And it' s selling this game way short.

Jan 23, 2009
I loved Metro 2033, for PC. Apparently its a different game on Xbox. I wish reviewers would mention that.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
zombie711 said:
Or maybe there's a guy from UK in the US office? Or is that too much of a long shot...

OT: Enjoyed this review, and I have trouble understanding why other people disliked it.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
VanBasten said:
Shjade said:
It's nice that you're idealistic, and I wish that were the case, but most people just focus on the score, see 2 stars out of 5, which translates to 40% or the equivalent of an utter crap game by today's ratings standards(basically anything under 80% these days gets classified as crap). It sucks, but that's just the way it is. And it' s selling this game way short.
It's not idealism. You just reinforced my point: it's a problem with the audience, not the review.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Can someone explain why Metro 2033 is compared to Stalker?? If anyone has both games, start them up, and name 1 thing that is similar.
I am being serious, so don't say, they speak w/ Russian accents, or a developer is listed to have worked on both.
They are both FPS games, but Stalker takes forever before it tries to be 'moody', while Metro is 'moody all the way through.
I have both games, and it erks me that one would compare them.
Please help!!

Oh yeah, by the way.... when will 'reviews' start being reviews and stop being opinions?

VanBasten

Aug 20, 2009
Shjade said:
It's not idealism. You just reinforced my point: it's a problem with the audience, not the review.
It is idealistic in a sense that you expect reviews should be scored expecting the people to actually think about the text that is written above the number(which i fully agree on, just almost no other review publication really sees it that way). We both agree that people should bother to read a review(or several of them preferably) and then form an opinion based on what they find out. Except, most don't, they just look at the score and move on. The audience is definitely at fault there and I'm not gonna argue that.

One could argue that the review's fault is in grossly misrepresenting this games quality when compared how the almost all other game reviewers assign grades. Just take this game's score(40%) and compare it with the games at metacritic in that range for instance. But I'm not even going to argue that, because I don't really like how the games are rated right now.

But there's also another problem with the review that most people here complain about. It presents some of the good elements of the game as bad(story not being overexposed, relatively weak weapons, stealth elements). It reads as the reviewer went in expecting MW2 type gameplay and got disappointed, and that's, in my opinion, the problem.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
I don't recall saying anything about how reviews should be scored. I did comment on how people should interpret reviews.

One could argue the review's score misrepresents the game. Then again, there are people posting that they agree with the review, which suggests that it is an accurate score - for some people. Sounds like a polarizing game, in which case no review would make everyone happy as there are those who like it and those who find it quite absent of fun qualities.

What you see as the problem I see as being open for interpretation. Yes, he did remark on several aspects of the game in a negative way, but in doing so he also brought up those aspects of the game. That he didn't like them is a personal issue; he included them in the review which brings them to my attention. I would not have known anything about Metro's interesting flavored-ammo-for-money system if he hadn't commented on how difficult it makes the game seem when in constantly choosing whether to keep the ammo for gear swaps or use it to save your life right this moment. He found this to be a negative thing; I found it curious. His opinion doesn't much matter to me - it's what he has the opinion about that's most relevant.

Of course, the moment he mentioned that the majority of the game involves what is essentially an ongoing escort quest it would've killed any interest I had in this particular game regardless. It could have been the precursor to the Second Coming and I'd still give that a pass. No thank you to long escort segments regardless of how they tie in to the story. I've had enough of game failure due to AI partner failure.

Almost five in the morning. ... That bed is looking awful comfy. I think I shall test it.

TheBritish

Nov 12, 2009
Brian Hendershot said:
Yeah I loved the game. To me it was a bland grey FPS shooter done right. I mean I wish there was more physiological aspects of the game, I really felt like the game was trying to convey it more then it actually did. As for enemies or the stealth I really didn't have a problem. The game allows you to sneak past all the enemies, often though you have to wait and observe. The game is also very specific about were you have to hit people to get them to die with one shot.

Though the fucking amoebas at the end of the game warrants it the loss of a star or two.
One of my favourite things about this game is that you have to try to aim for gaps in the armour, even places under people's arms. It's great :)

Sober Thal said:
Can someone explain why Metro 2033 is compared to Stalker?? If anyone has both games, start them up, and name 1 thing that is similar.
I am being serious, so don't say, they speak w/ Russian accents, or a developer is listed to have worked on both.
They are both FPS games, but Stalker takes forever before it tries to be 'moody', while Metro is 'moody all the way through.
I have both games, and it erks me that one would compare them.
Please help!!

Oh yeah, by the way.... when will 'reviews' start being reviews and stop being opinions?
4A Games is an offshoot of GSC Game Word who made STALKER.
Both games are set in Russia featuring Russian locations, post-apocalyptic landscapes and appearances and themes.
Both games place you in the role of someone often relying on their teammates for support.
Both games have what I usually describe as the "Russian Game Factor", which means that you're put in the role of someone who has bad, inaccurate weapons, can't take many shots before they die and doesn't really know what's going on.
Both involve people called Stalkers? Now I'm getting desparate :)

But it's a little weird to say they're "incomparable". Crash Bandicoot and Sonic the Hedgehog are "comparable".

mchoueiri

Jun 10, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

I don't think that it is a horrid review simply because he does not agree with you. most reviewers have been saying the same thing.

Sir_Tor

Nov 29, 2009
Logan Westbrook? New to the escapist or have I missed something?

I ask my friends wether it's good or not as they have the same taste as me and they said it's awesome. Maybe you played the game wrong? :)

TheBritish

Nov 12, 2009
Sir_Tor said:

I ask my friends wether it's good or not as they have the same taste as me and they said it's awesome. Maybe you played the game wrong? :)
I'm one of the people who like Metro-2033, but I'll say that if you are "playing a game wrong", the developers are probably at fault somewhere :) If you try running in in Splinter Cell, it makes it pretty damn clear you're playing it wrong. That's not the case in Metro. Most of the time you feel like a survivor, sneaking through the shadows, then suddenly it'll throw you into an action set-piece where there's no chance for stealth :)

... Did I just convince someone not to play a game I've been defending? :)

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
In contrary to the fanboys here I played the game fully trough twice and I can understand the marks. What I don't understand are fanboys trying to make somthing better than it actually is. Just some points I snapped up here:

Stealth:
You can stealth, yes, but it's as annoying as carrying out trash cans all day long. These people saying the stealth is great "never" ever player a real stealth game as otherwise they would kick themselves for such an incorrect comment.

Weak weapons:
They are horribly weak. some people attack the reviewer in his video for standing in the open but he "damn tried to show a point"! With other words he stood on purpose in front of a bandit to show how broken the shotgun is. Took 3 blasts until he went down and I can confirm this. I often even had to use 5 blasts to the head until he went down. On the other hand an air-gun kills with one hit. The balancing is totally off. Making weapons weak is not what makes a game good. It's the combination of weapon strength, enemy weapon strength and consistency which makes a good game where you fight for survival. No problem with a game where you die fast but then the enemies have to die fast the same way if you are smarter. For example he showed "sparta" in the video. At two times NPCs in cut scenes kill enemies with one knife-throw or knife-stab. You as the player you can throw 5 knives silently and the enemy doesn't go down. Try stab monsters/people with a knife. You are stabbing like 5 minutes until the go down. This is not survival, this is bad implemented and balanced weapon design.

Librarians don't attack when you look at them:
As incorrect as it gets. Tried that out. They always attack you also if you look at them. Should this not be the case you hit a game bug. The only ones which often don't attack you when you look at them (if your lamp is enabled) is the black coated "thing" in D6 which comes down from the ceiling. Otherwise Librarians eat your ammo like nothing else.

Atmosphere:
I disagree here with the reviewer and many others. While the scenery itself would lend to good atmosphere it fails at it for various reason I don't want to repeat (as I did it already on another website). In general though Stalker-SoC had better atmosphere than this game and that's a pity as the scenery itself would have been a good starting point for well done atmosphere.

There are many more points to send into the field but I don't want to make this post any longer. So in the end I agree with the reviewer, it's a game you should only rent if possible (careful, it has steam-sucks included... get yourself first a steam-remover before you play if you value your PC!). I would say though 3/5 would be okay or 3.5/5 . It's not bad by any stretch of imagination but it's not the big thing they claimed beforehand it would be.

EDIT: As some people liked to attack me previously here a reminder before-hand. My view is always the one from the view of a game-developer as this is what I do. So I'm not a hater or otherwise moron but a critic fellow developer who judges products with hard but fair means as only this can improve quality in the long run.

TheBritish

Nov 12, 2009
Odjin said:
Considering that I comepltely accept a hell of a lot of flaws this game has... I completely disagree with you on most of the ones you picked out :)

The stealth is "different" from any other game I've played and I like it. It doesn't feel like most stealth games where you get seen, hide for ten minutes and everyone says "Well, I guess he must have moved to Canada. That said, the stealth is badly flawed, but... meh :)

And yeah, the weak bullets are "supposed" to be weak. It's part of the story. Think that this shotgun is more like the old style blunderpusses you'd fill with pebbles. You could take five shots from one of those and still be standing. These bullets were made by people bashing them out with hammers in a dark tunnel. Bullets count for a lot in the real world too. I think the dirty ammo is -too powerful-. I rarely felt the need to switch to Military Grade.

The "balance" of weapons you mention is another weird thing. The arrow gun is stronger because to use it you have to "pump it up". That's an intentional thing to add a weak point to the strong gun. Back in the early days of guns there were times when you'd rather be shot with a gun than arrow.

Also throwing a knife is a one hit kill nine times out of ten. You just have to try to hit one of the gaps in the armour, like under the arm or the back of the neck. Like the NPCs do.

The librarians don't attack if you look at them, crouched and don't approach them when they are looking at you. I also heard something about how if they stand up on their hind legs you have to stand up too to make yourself look taller, but never had a chance to try it out.

And the atmospehere in the stations is spectacular (if you don't spend much time there. It's a shame you don't). I also found that hiding in the dark I was more tense than any other game as I saw flashlights pass "right by me" but not hit me.

And whilst I've disagreed with most of your points, I do think this game is seriously flawed. I do think that it's crippling in some areas. But I also think that if you don't at least "play" it you are missing out on a unique experience.

Crap, I am a fanboy, aren't I? Well, nothing I said was untrue.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
People are saying this game is God's gift to gaming. I dont buy it. From all the reviews I've seen and all the lets plays Ive looked at, it doesnt seem worth my time any more than STALKER.

Jan 23, 2010
Odjin said:
Stealth:
You can stealth, yes, but it's as annoying as carrying out trash cans all day long. These people saying the stealth is great "never" ever player a real stealth game as otherwise they would kick themselves for such an incorrect comment.
Please explain what was annoying? Name a "real" stealth game and the major differences. You hide in the shadows, move slowly not making sound and avoid people with NVGs or flashlights.

And for the sake of it. THIS IS NOT A STEALTH GAME, don't compare it to stealth games then.

Right moving on...

Odjin said:
Librarians don't attack when you look at them:
As incorrect as it gets. Tried that out. They always attack you also if you look at them. Should this not be the case you hit a game bug.
You are the incorrect one, and if there is a bug involved, you hit it.

Instead of blindly following what your followers hastily told you before leaving like it was the word of god will get you nowhere. Sure, my attempts to stare them down failed at first but then discovered this by experimenting.

Stare at them until they stop and look at you wondering. After a little while they will usually start to growl and do threatening gestures at you. Take the hint! Back off slowly while looking at them. You surrendered to them and therefore you are not a threat and you will be left alone. For me this made this part of the game freaking great, I thought the librarians were well made and felt plausible, like they were animals.

The shotgun is weak as hell against humans though I'll give you that but i would assume that the since they are home made they are very weak and shotgun shells naturally have less penetration power than bullets, most humans halfway and forward have lots of thick armor which would render shotguns useless. We can't really know since we have no idea if these homemade rounds are birdshot or slugs.

dryg

Feb 8, 2009
The Almighty Grigard said:
Odjin said:
Stealth:
Please explain what was annoying? Name a "real" stealth game and the major differences. You hide in the shadows, move slowly not making sound and avoid people with NVGs or flashlights.

And for the sake of it. THIS IS NOT A STEALTH GAME, don't compare it to stealth games then.

Right moving on...
That "You hide in the shadows, move slowly not making sound and avoid people with NVGs or flashlights." pretty much described how I played the most part of the game, since its usually sucide to attack lots of people. And if you didn't need to do any stealth stuff then why the fuck do you have a thing on your arm showing how hidden you are?

TheBritish

Nov 12, 2009
dryg said:
Odjin said:
Stealth:

Right moving on...
That "You hide in the shadows, move slowly not making sound and avoid people with NVGs or flashlights." pretty much described how I played the most part of the game, since its usually sucide to attack lots of people. And if you didn't need to do any stealth stuff then why the fuck do you have a thing on your arm showing how hidden you are?
This isnt' a stealth game in the same way that Far Cry isn't a stealth game. Hiding in the shadows to get past large numbers of enemies, or to whittle down their numbers is a good idea, but it's not a game "about" stealth in the same way that Thief or Splinter Cell are... I assume that's what he meant. I don't know :)

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
TheBritish said:
De Ronneman said:
So, I didn't play 2033.

Well...
In the book they're just described as "Fascists". The idea is that after the bombs dropped and people were thrown in together all kinds of ideologies came about. In the book they weren't "traditional" Nazis, but they were damn close. There are also Communists, Christians, Cannibals and god knows what else :))
Thanks, so there are more clans/groups.

Now I get it, it's just people of the same belief clinging together. Somewhat admirable.

Now I only wonder where they got that many identical authentic uniforms in such great shape. Museum I guess.

It sounds like a game with a lot of potential. Apperently your suposed to pay with bullets, so that's dodgy. That will certainly make the "but I might need it later"-thought in your head go mental...

TheBritish

Nov 12, 2009
De Ronneman said:
TheBritish said:
De Ronneman said:
So, I didn't play 2033.

Well...

Now I get it, it's just people of the same belief clinging together. Somewhat admirable.

Now I only wonder where they got that many identical authentic uniforms in such great shape. Museum I guess.

It sounds like a game with a lot of potential. Apperently your suposed to pay with bullets, so that's dodgy. That will certainly make the "but I might need it later"-thought in your head go mental...
In the book, not that the mention it in the game, I've noticed, they didn't have a traditional swastika. It was only three pronged, to represent the three stations they had taken over. They called it the Fourth Reich, but there was never any mention in the book of Gestapo outfits. It's kind of assumed they're wearing the standard tunnel armour, just with an armband

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
TheBritish said:
De Ronneman said:
TheBritish said:
De Ronneman said:
So, I didn't play 2033.

Well...

In the book, not that the mention it in the game, I've noticed, they didn't have a traditional swastika. It was only three pronged, to represent the three stations they had taken over. They called it the Fourth Reich, but there was never any mention in the book of Gestapo outfits. It's kind of assumed they're wearing the standard tunnel armour, just with an armband
Wow, they thought that through good!

This game is sudenly rising on my "to play" list!

Crunchy English

Aug 20, 2008
mchoueiri said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
I don't think that it is a horrid review simply because he does not agree with you. most reviewers have been saying the same thing.
Wrong. Most reviewers gave the game a solid 8. Gamerankings or Metacritic, only takes a second.

TheBritish

Nov 12, 2009
De Ronneman said:
TheBritish said:
De Ronneman said:
TheBritish said:
De Ronneman said:
So, I didn't play 2033.

Well...

Wow, they thought that through good!

This game is sudenly rising on my "to play" list!
What can I tell you to make it raise? :D
Honestly though... take into account that this game -is- flawed. Badly in some cases. If you do buy it don't come crying to me 'cause I warned you :) It's just... worth playing, I feel :)

Also showing a bit of support to a brand new company making enjoyable, unique experiences is always a good thing :)

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
TheBritish said:
What can I tell you to make it raise? :D
Honestly though... take into account that this game -is- flawed. Badly in some cases. If you do buy it don't come crying to me 'cause I warned you :) It's just... worth playing, I feel :)

Also showing a bit of support to a brand new company making enjoyable, unique experiences is always a good thing :)
That's pretty much why I'm surprised. It sounds very good. I only read reviews about how absolutely crap it was, but after seeing the videosuplement and hearing stories about it, I'm starting to think it's not as bad as everyone says it is.

Well, that's always the case. Bashing a game is easier than telling what makes a good game...

I promise I won't come crying, and I'll probably defend it on some forum at some point.

lolcatize

Oct 6, 2009
Crunchy English said:

i can agreee with you becouse this is the only game wich realy made me feel unsafe and made think trhu every move and attac i made plus its the only game that realy makes watch your steps wich is for the best and a game where you have too keep your eyes open consume amo carefuly and be careful

lolcatize

Oct 6, 2009
Hazy said:
I don't think this was quite the spiritual successor to STALKER that I was hoping it would be, but it's an interesting experiment nonetheless.

If this review has any relation to my opinion of it, then this shall be a solid rental.
this is nowhere near to stalker my fried i have played all 3 stalker games and this cant even be compared realy

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
lolcatize said:
Hazy said:

this is nowhere near to stalker my fried i have played all 3 stalker games and this cant even be compared realy
If you ask me, there's a huge relation to the atmosphere and tone of the two games, granted, I've never actually played Metro: 2033, so my opinion on the subject is that of a mere onlooker.

lolcatize

Oct 6, 2009
Hazy said:
lolcatize said:
Hazy said:

If you ask me, there's a huge relation to the atmosphere and tone of the two games, granted, I've never actually played Metro: 2033, so my opinion on the subject is that of a mere onlooker.
well hey unless you play dont say so becouse it dosent look like stalker for shit so until you play dont compare it to stalker and atmosfer is much heavyer in metro and its more post apocalyptic

dev0nian

Apr 14, 2010
Wow, this review seemed so unfair that it actually made me register here, even though I've been visiting the site for years, and set things straight.

If I were to sum up this game in one word, it would be "compelling". The game is definitely rough around the edges. The story isn't very well explained but whatever story is there, it's very well told. It doesn't employ an in-your-face explanation, but tells it through the environment - the cramped metros, pigs being reared in small, dirty markets, old war veterans begging for ammo, people sleeping on mats wherever there's enough space and somehow still trying to see the lighter side of life - "I serve the best drinks in this part of metro because I'm the only one serving drinks here.". Not a great line, I'll admit, but it works in this setting. It paints quite a depressing picture, and the developers should be lauded for putting such an effort which is rarely seen in games today.
Even the over-world is well realized. It's lonely and depressing especially when you get separated from your team. You'll usually be glad that someone is accompanying you through your mission. This is only because of the great characters you meet(with the exception of Ulman, although his "Invisible watchers" joke was pretty funny :D ). The low-point of the story for me was definitely the Dark Ones. Their motives were never fully explained and I was left wondering what exactly I was saving my "Exhibition" Metro from.

The game also has a moral choice system, if you can believe it, which unlocks an alternate ending. Things like scavenging ammo and medkit from a dead comrade will earn you a negative one, while giving alms will earn a positive one. But it isn't always clear what actions you have to take to unlock it, but it's addition definitely increases the game's depth.

Combat may not be great, but the sense of accomplishment you get when you do it the right way is phenomenal. Fighting mutants for me wasn't very engaging, but fighting the nazis and the reds was fun. My approach was to stealth kill a few first and then gun down the remaining few. Conserving ammo is pretty important, although it's not as frustrating as it would seem to be. You just have to make every shot count. Are you good at taking headshots? Not good enough for this game! You've to aim exactly at the gap where the helmet ends and the armor begins! There was this one scenario wherein two guards were patrolling back and forth there was a patch of darkness in their patrolling route which was the only safe place to take one of them out without alerting the other one. So when you turn on the night vision , equip your revolver-turned-silenced-sniper-rifle, and place a shot right in the guys neck while he's passing through the dark patch for just a couple of seconds, you'll know how rewarding this game can be.

In another scenario, I was passing through a maze of dilapidated cars and my cover got blown, so instead of just emptying rounds after rounds into the enemies, I took careful shots hiding behind cars and cracked their gas masks which led to their suffocation and death.

The game does have a few weak points though. The partly-silent protagonist didn't really work for me. I mean, the guy spoke as a narrator before each level which made his silence in-game more awkward. Also, I really wanted to explore Polis, which seemed like the biggest metro station of all. It even had a small government to boot, but the game never gave a chance to see more of it.

It's turning out to be quite a lengthy post. If you've made it this far, then I hope I've convinced you into at least giving this game a rental. It really feels like a game crafted with a lot of care, especially considering that it's the studio's first game. Please support games like these. We need more of them.

PS: I played it on the PC. AMD 955BE 3.2 quad, 6GB RAM, 1GB ATI5770, Windows 7, DirectX 10. Settings at "High".

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
lolcatize said:
Hazy said:
lolcatize said:
Hazy said:

well hey unless you play dont say so becouse it dosent look like stalker for shit so until you play dont compare it to stalker and atmosfer is much heavyer in metro and its more post apocalyptic
Well, hey, your opinion is your own.

Regardless, I stick to my guns. From what I've seen, Metro: 2033 looks like it draws some influence from STALKER. Shit, Prokhorov [http://www.nowgamer.com/previews/pc-mmo/809/metro-2033] (Paragraph 4) even admits that Metro has drawn some influence from SoC.

Does that mean I think Metro: 2033 is not it's own game?
Of course not, but with development staff from STALKER also working on Metro, I would say my comparisons of the two, if at nothing more than an atmospheric level, are far from being unjust.

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
TheBritish said:
Brian Hendershot said:

One of my favourite things about this game is that you have to try to aim for gaps in the armour, even places under people's arms. It's great :)

Yeah first I thought the game was just being glitchy or something then I realized oh yeah...this is a realistic game. or as realistic as a bland first person shooter set in fallout Russia can get.

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
[
TheBritish said:
Brian Hendershot said:

Yeah first I thought the game was just being glitchy or something then I realized oh yeah...this is a realistic game. or as realistic as a bland first person shooter set in fallout Russia can get.

TheBritish

Nov 12, 2009
dev0nian said:
*Hate to snip your first post* :)
If you want to know about the motives of the Dark Ones in the book... (considering I've STILL not finished the game :))
In the book, you are obviously trying to save your station from this assualt of mutants, but at the end you find out that they were actually trying to -help- you. They're immune to things like the radiation above and they were the ones helping you all along, giving you the visions and giving other people the -idea- to help you :) It was a great twist... especially seeing as in the book, Artyom realises this right before The Dark Ones are destroyed by missiles, meaning he basicly destroys mankind's one chance to return to the surface :)
And to you...
lolcatize said:
Hazy said:
lolcatize said:
Hazy said:

"4A Games is an offshoot of GSC Game Word who made STALKER.
Both games are set in Russia featuring Russian locations, post-apocalyptic landscapes and appearances and themes.
Both games place you in the role of someone often relying on their teammates for support.
Both games have what I usually describe as the "Russian Game Factor", which means that you're put in the role of someone who has bad, inaccurate weapons, can't take many shots before they die and doesn't really know what's going on.

But it's a little weird to say they're "incomparable". Crash Bandicoot and Sonic the Hedgehog are "comparable"."

lolcatize

Oct 6, 2009
Hazy said:
lolcatize said:
Hazy said:
lolcatize said:
Hazy said:

Well, hey, your opinion is your own.

Regardless, I stick to my guns. From what I've seen, Metro: 2033 looks like it draws some influence from STALKER. Shit, Prokhorov [http://www.nowgamer.com/previews/pc-mmo/809/metro-2033] (Paragraph 4) even admits that Metro has drawn some influence from SoC.

Does that mean I think Metro: 2033 is not it's own game?
Of course not, but with development staff from STALKER also working on Metro, I would say my comparisons of the two, if at nothing more than an atmospheric level, are far from being unjust.
offcourse he admit that metro was created by people who jumped off after the first stalker but you cant compare them side by side

lolcatize

Oct 6, 2009
TheBritish said:
dev0nian said:
If you want to know about the motives of the Dark Ones in the book... (considering I've STILL not finished the game :))
In the book, you are obviously trying to save your station from this assualt of mutants, but at the end you find out that they were actually trying to -help- you. They're immune to things like the radiation above and they were the ones helping you all along, giving you the visions and giving other people the -idea- to help you :) It was a great twist... especially seeing as in the book, Artyom realises this right before The Dark Ones are destroyed by missiles, meaning he basicly destroys mankind's one chance to return to the surface :)
And to you...
lolcatize said:
Hazy said:
lolcatize said:
Hazy said:

"4A Games is an offshoot of GSC Game Word who made STALKER.

But it's a little weird to say they're "incomparable". Crash Bandicoot and Sonic the Hedgehog are "comparable"."
so you compare by those factor but try to its ok alright still its a lot diffrente and now compare story and offcourse they dont take many shots ffs the game is realistic one of the most realistic games i played more realistic than Mw2 wich everyne calls realistic will ever be becouse those idiots couldnt make a fucking claymore mine right

TheBritish

Nov 12, 2009
lolcatize said:
so you compare by those factor but try to its ok alright still its a lot diffrente and now compare story and offcourse they dont take many shots ffs the game is realistic one of the most realistic games i played more realistic than Mw2 wich everyne calls realistic will ever be becouse those idiots couldnt make a fucking claymore mine right
I don't... really know what you're trying to say here :). I was just pointing out that Russian games tend to be more realistic in terms of things like damage and... it seems like you agree with me but are angry at me anyway :)
Oh and... I have played all the STALKER games and Metro-2033, and I don't think I could make a claymore mine either :) Not really sure who could :)

dev0nian

Apr 14, 2010
TheBritish said:
dev0nian said:
Thanks for that explanation! I feel the game could've done a better job of conveying that part of the story.
That ending is really tragic, though! :( Fighting against all odds only to inadvertently ruin humanity's future.

TheBritish

Nov 12, 2009
dev0nian said:
TheBritish said:
dev0nian said:
Thanks for that explanation! I feel the game could've done a better job of conveying that part of the story.
That ending is really tragic, though! :( Fighting against all odds only to inadvertently ruin humanity's future.
I don't think the game really introduces the threat all that well either :). The book has a great opening where you hear a load of different stories from different people and have no idea what's true and what's just rumour. It's kinda scary :).

Also...
It's pretty tragic, yeah but a great twist :). In the book Artyom is sent to the Library to look for a book made of black skin that tells humanity how to return to the surface... At the end you're kicking yourself that you didn't realise that there was already something in the story with black skin :). In the book Artyom just takes off his gas mask and goes for a walk on the surface when he finds out :) (Oh and this is also why Artyom survives things like the voices in the pipes and things. He's the Chosen One. I've now truly spoilt the book for you :) Sorry! :)

lolcatize

Oct 6, 2009
TheBritish said:
lolcatize said:
I don't... really know what you're trying to say here :). I was just pointing out that Russian games tend to be more realistic in terms of things like damage and... it seems like you agree with me but are angry at me anyway :)
Oh and... I have played all the STALKER games and Metro-2033, and I don't think I could make a claymore mine either :) Not really sure who could :)
no no no im not angrybut yeah so far russian develpers have made more realistic games interms of weapon and damage but about the claymore i meant that bullshit that a real claymore cant be put in front of an enemy becouse its a tripwire setoff but those who made Mw2 made a couple lasors to set it off and call it realistic xD

The Cheezy One

Dec 13, 2008
SirDerick said:

your kidding? i shot everyone i came across
Brian Hendershot said:
took me ages to realise you could blow up the things they spawn from

ucciolord1

Mar 26, 2009
This game actually looks pretty awesome, albeit with a bunch of poor design choices. Oh well.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sir_Tor said:

He did play the game wrong, all the footage in the video looks like a 4 year old was playing. He gets right up to the enemy and then is confused why he dies? It's like playing bad company 2 by running straight into someones gun and expecting it to be a smart tactic, then giving the game a bad score because he sucks at playing it.

I see Logan has not responded to any comments. Maybe he's out playing the PC version properly for a fair review.

mchoueiri

Jun 10, 2009
Crunchy English said:
mchoueiri said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Wrong. Most reviewers gave the game a solid 8. Gamerankings or Metacritic, only takes a second.
ok my bad. but still just because someone says differently does not mean that it is a bad review. Like a reviewer may not like the game but he may bring up good points.

aegios187

Jun 17, 2007
Personally, the one thing that stood out for me is that the moral choices weren't huge swings of the pendulum making you either ultimate super morality man or the spawn of the anti-christ and Uwe Boll. Simple things like accepting a reward vs not accepting a reward, offering assistance to certain NPCs that you can have dialog with. Even the "bad" ending as it were, wasn't end of the world, trumped up evil endings that most games have. If anything, its the ending you expect to get if you don't quite make the effort to put all the pieces together.

The environment and story was solid (makes me want to read the book), graphics were gorgeous, the gunplay didn't really distract me, if anything, I think it fits the fact that your using antiquated, amateurish made weaponry with homemade dirty rounds. Stealth elements were passable. I'd say a score of a 8 to a 8.5 is being fair.

mchoueiri

Jun 10, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
The Cheezy One said:
zombie711 said:
I thought u guys had multicultural staff

TheBritish

Nov 12, 2009
mchoueiri said:
Susan Arendt said:
The Cheezy One said:
zombie711 said:
You thought the Escapist was run by a multicultural team of various faiths and beliefs? :)

mchoueiri

Jun 10, 2009
TheBritish said:
mchoueiri said:
Susan Arendt said:
The Cheezy One said:
zombie711 said:
You thought the Escapist was run by a multicultural team of various faiths and beliefs? :)
\

hahahahahahahaha, that was a good one that had me laughing for a good 2 minutes and yes.

Arduras

Jul 14, 2009
I strongly disagree with this review,

The game, from moment one, is meant to make you feel like an ordinary guy in some very weird circumstances, which, I'd say it pulled off well, I was drawn into the creepiness of the scene and of the feeling of being the weaker in a fight between mutants and other people.

Ammo was never an issue (as some others have mentioned), dirty ammo is fine as ammo, I thing it was only at the start that I needed to use Mil grade ammo (because I still hadn't gotten my head reset away from the ol' combat tactics in other shooters), other weapons (such as the helsing, the oversized BB gun ((can't think of the name))and others) all had the right feel to them, hand made and they had alot of power in them.

Stealth was pretty good, instead of the usual 'huh? why did something just impact next to me? ahh well' they responded, shouting out, making a noise and the like, which lets everyone else know whats going on, of course you'd yell out if you noticed something. (although, the fact they zero in from moment one is annoying)

Overall, its a good game, not a great one, but certainly better then say, Modern Warfare 2, but its well on its way to pushing towards games that are more like Stalker then not. :)

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Good or Bad review aside was I the only one who thought of the number 9 guy from Futurama when the "Dark ones" were brought up?

TheBritish

Nov 12, 2009
I know I can't shut up about the book, but... :)
There's a funny/awkward moment in the book when someone tells Artyom about the Nazis. The guy says that they barricade themselves against "the Dark Ones" (being Nazis, he's not talking about the mutants :)) and Artyom freaks out saying like "Oh no! Not Dark Ones! I hate Dark Ones!" :)

pokkuti

Feb 14, 2008
Well, if you wanna run and gun, try using the correct weapon. Using Un-pump pneumatic rifle in close combat, against horde of enemy? You sir, are genius :p

Chrissyluky

Jul 3, 2009
Diagonal Horizontality said:
Based on this review, the game sounds a lot like Far Cry. Broken stealth mechanics, underpowered weapons and overpowered mutants do not make a particularly good game - regardless of graphical fidelity and physics engine complexity. The underdeveloped characters and themes just reek of generic shooter to me, so I'll give it a miss.

The source material at least sounds interesting, though.
Blackadder51 said:
Uh im getting a 404 on the link
That would be because the article technically wasn't published. It's up now.
Do not be fooled by this review this was a very poor review and all of his hardships were ones I never encountered. I played on the hardest difficulty there is and I did not retry as much as he supposedly did. I never had to use military rounds either. This review was very poorly done in my opinion. I do not consider it a poor review because it disagrees with me I consider it a poor review because what he considered facts seem to be bad decisions on his part.

Meilow

Dec 5, 2009
I will agree that Metro 2033 does have some rust spots that could be worked out. Sometimes bullets won't hit. It's annoying trying to sneak around and take out only one guard, while the head shot doesn't register and he freaks out and alerts everyone. That was my only problem with the game, but it's something simple to overlook if you're going for the stealthy aspect of the game. When this game came out I stopped playing FF13 (who wouldn't) and got intensely involved in this game. While it is laughably short, I have not played a game this year that made me feel apart of it such as this game did. If it were up to me, this game (so far) would be game of the year, and its only contenders just fall short in different areas that this game excelled at.

kibayasu

Jan 3, 2008
What I think could have pushed Metro 2033 into the realm of "great" is not something related to the gameplay at all.

The first half of the game is getting from your dingy little outskirts station to what can only be described as, if you listen to people talk about it, a (subjective) paradise: Polis Station. It's incredibly well defended, anyone who wants to get anywhere has to pass through it, it's properous, it's spacious, it has electricity. I was quite excited when I got to Polis in the game because the smaller stations were quite well done so I couldn't wait to see what they would do with the grandest of the grand stations.

Of course, as those who played it know, we didn't get to see any of it. We got to see the main train yard, a tiny trade room, and a glance of greatness as the game moves us toward the Council room; we got to see a water canal with a gondola running below a vast hall filled with people.

Quite frankly if the game had let me wander around Polis a bit, I'd have been able to get over the flaws of the game even more. But I'm willing betting this was a time issue over something that would be awesome yet pointless to the story.

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
The Cheezy One said:
zombie711 said:
It's not a surprise. They were commenting on its nice to hear someone English. Which I agree with. Its very nice to hear someone English. Which makes me give this review a big thumbs up (Y)

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
"No time to establish emotional connection to home station"

Did you even stop to listen in on the conversations going on around you?
They were VERY effective at getting me to care.
Especially the small children who had never known what the world had been like before the nukes dropped.

And Artyom wasn't completely immune, he was simply more resistant to the Dark Ones' attacks. And besides (SPOILER WARNING), they once say "We wish... PEACE." So, maybe the Dark Ones don't want to hurt him for some reason. And while... yeah... the stealth can get a little aggravating after a while, there were plenty of ideas peppered throughout the whole game to keep me interested, and the story, I thought, was very well presented. And besides, would it really have been a good idea for the protagonist to talk while trying to sneak past the Nazis?

Now... the only reason I haven't completed the game yet is because I've gotten stuck in the library. No... literally stuck... I can't figure out how to go back and open one of the doors for my teammates, and I can't climb back the way I came because 1) there's no easy way for me to pile up crap so that I could jump back up, and 2) there's no way (that i know of) to access the command console, so no noclip either. Umm... yeah I have the PC version... but I'm playing it on my aging rig anyway. Still looks pretty damn good though.

Ardenon

Sep 7, 2009
TheDoctor455 said:
Now... the only reason I haven't completed the game yet is because I've gotten stuck in the library. No... literally stuck... I can't figure out how to go back and open one of the doors for my teammates, and I can't climb back the way I came because 1) there's no easy way for me to pile up crap so that I could jump back up, and 2) there's no way (that i know of) to access the command console, so no noclip either. Umm... yeah I have the PC version... but I'm playing it on my aging rig anyway. Still looks pretty damn good though.
If you still haven't figured out how to open the door, try watching youtube for some hints. The doors in the library are somewhat difficult to get through, not sure where you're stuck though. The problem I had there, was when I had to shoot the chandelier so it would bust open the doors. Good thing it started flashing after a while, couldn't guess otherwise :p . But other than that, there's always a way to get through.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Ardenon said:
TheDoctor455 said:
If you still haven't figured out how to open the door, try watching youtube for some hints. The doors in the library are somewhat difficult to get through, not sure where you're stuck though. The problem I had there, was when I had to shoot the chandelier so it would bust open the doors. Good thing it started flashing after a while, couldn't guess otherwise :p . But other than that, there's always a way to get through.
Well... I also had to quit because I hadn't managed my resources well enough at that point. I had bought a few guns here or there... didn't need to buy ammo. No... the only resource that was giving me trouble at that point were air filters. And since the last station that I had any money in was before the communist one... well... I might as well have just started a new game entirely.

Ardenon

Sep 7, 2009
TheDoctor455 said:
Well... I also had to quit because I hadn't managed my resources well enough at that point. I had bought a few guns here or there... didn't need to buy ammo. No... the only resource that was giving me trouble at that point were air filters. And since the last station that I had any money in was before the communist one... well... I might as well have just started a new game entirely.
Strange, I was playing on Hard difficulty and never bought 1 air filter, always managed finding them here and there. And yeah, "money" is always worth spending on smg bullets, you'll find guns later on, like a pistol with a scope between those doors in the library...

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Jun 19, 2020
Country
United States
I haven't played the game much yet, having just met with Khan. However, so far I find the review totally off. While not perfect, this is a damn good game. It combines shooty action with great atmosphere. In the first outdoor segment (not the intro), I was on edge the whole time. I can't recall the last time I was so sucked into a game like that (maybe Ravenholm). I was scared to even fire a shot, since I knew it would bring a horde down on me I had little chance of fighting off. You feel so VULNERABLE, and that's a weird feeling for an FPS. Usually in a game you pick up a gun and feel like a god. Here, it's the opposite. The damage from your guns is barely adequate, your reloads are long, and enemies can easily take you down. It feels GREAT. I've died a few times, but it just spurred me to play better.

In short, I feel the reviewer approached this game the totally wrong way. He even said "it seems like it should play like a run and gun shooter", when that's totally off the mark. The reviewer went in playing the game with the wrong mindset, and it clouded his review.

DanHibiki

Aug 5, 2009
What the hell does he mean "you have to run and gun"? You never have to run and gun, that's the exact opposite of what you should be doing. You have to hide and snipe people in the face. This is the only way to play the game unless you face the mutants, in which case it's knifing at the start, two shot to the head when they rush you or spray with dart gun when there's a huge one coming at you in the library.

Running around with a shot gun is the last thing that anyone should do in the game.

Also, throwing knives is the best way to start with. Have fun!

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I'll admit the shooting is off but I didn't buy it for that reason, rather I wanted something less traditional than the current releases. I mean heavy atmosphere and story based Russian FPS survival horror? Now that's different.

Now the Metacritic average went down because of this...

Oh well, the majority still liked it and most importantly I liked it and you should to regardless of nay sayers.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
I think the problem with this game (and it's not with the game, but the perception of it) is that it's a weak game, specifically because it's very much an anti-FPS.

Want to know the story? Stand around listening to conversations. Want to get the best ending? Don't loot the dead. It forces you to go against the "run and gun, collect everything" routine.

It's a survival horror game, not an FPS. A story driven survival horror game. Dead Space? Resident Evil 5? Those aren't survival horror, and if you think they are you're not old enough to know what survival horror really is. Survival horror is not having enough bullets. And if you're a paragon, you will not have enough bullets. Nowhere near enough. That's the point.

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
You are the incorrect one, and if there is a bug involved, you hit it.

Instead of blindly following what your followers hastily told you before leaving like it was the word of god will get you nowhere. Sure, my attempts to stare them down failed at first but then discovered this by experimenting.

Stare at them until they stop and look at you wondering. After a little while they will usually start to growl and do threatening gestures at you. Take the hint! Back off slowly while looking at them. You surrendered to them and therefore you are not a threat and you will be left alone. For me this made this part of the game freaking great, I thought the librarians were well made and felt plausible, like they were animals.
I heard this elsewhere already and I can assure you I tried it out and it never worked. When the see you they growl and immediately run at you clawing you. I tried this out in both play troughs as I always try to test a game throughout before giving comments/reviews about it. So point in case I never observed such a behavior. They always attacked on sight.

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
TheBritish said:
Also throwing a knife is a one hit kill nine times out of ten. You just have to try to hit one of the gaps in the armour, like under the arm or the back of the neck. Like the NPCs do.
I can not confirm this at all testing the game a lot. I tried all the ways people claim this is supposed to work but it does not. I've not witness one single time a thrown knife to inflict a one-hit kill even if thrown at the unprotected back/neck of an unsuspecting enemy. On the other hand the air-gun kills front-facing through thick masks. Only with military grade helmets you need a second shot which is understandable.

TheBritish

Nov 12, 2009
Odjin said:
TheBritish said:
I can not confirm this at all testing the game a lot. I tried all the ways people claim this is supposed to work but it does not. I've not witness one single time a thrown knife to inflict a one-hit kill even if thrown at the unprotected back/neck of an unsuspecting enemy. On the other hand the air-gun kills front-facing through thick masks. Only with military grade helmets you need a second shot which is understandable.
I've rarely seen an unprotected back to be honest :) Just because they're not looking doesn't mean there's no armour there :) (Arms and legs aren't insta-kills either), but I rarely find that someone -doesn't- die from one throwing knife...

Zack84

Feb 9, 2010
Nobody is going to convince me the stealth elements are well-implemented, and if you believe they are, you're patently stupid or don't play a lot of games. THIEF implemented stealth almost perfectly and that was what, 1997?

Here's the (repeated) scenario: I'm playing the game on Hard (because I'm an FPS vet and I like a challenge) and I'm hiding, crouched still in total darkness, and some humans have noticed their silently downed comrades maybe 20 seconds after I've done the deed and have moved to what should be a safe distance in a completely dark corner. Without even shining a headlamp in my direction, one of them somehow spots me moments later and opens fire, followed by all his buddies, who quickly riddle me with bullets. They don't have to search for me, they just kind of stand around and suddenly *BAM* I'm getting hit. This happens ALL THE DAMN TIME. In what way does this NOT perfectly exemplify a broken stealth system? My watch light is green and there's significant distance between myself and the nearest enemy, and yet it's as if I've got an entire Dollar Tree's worth of lit sparklers taped to my chest.

Now, I really do appreciate the vulnerable nature of Artyom; it fits in well with the story and atmosphere that he shoots terribly and can't take a lot of hits. I too am bored of the Rambo-style fps. But the game is built to have stealth sections, and from what I've found around the forums most other people see them as broken garbage as well, and end up being forced to just dispense with every baddy in the area. The developers obviously didn't intend to make that the primary approach to these sections of the game. Sure it can be done, but it robs the game of the tension these scenes are designed to have, and make them more of a lengthy chore.

Trial and error is acceptable up to a point, but the stealth aspect is utterly broken by unrealistic AI that can spot you hiding in total darkness. And yet, before I found the NV goggles, I kept flashing my headlamp on and off rapidly to get a bearing in the total darkness, and the baddies standing 10 feet away DIDN'T notice me. How ridiculous.

I'm still gonna plug along and try to get through this game because I really appreciate the atmosphere and story, but please stop defending the game's stealth portions, because they ARE broken. It doesn't make the game bad, but the developers need to understand where their game fails so as to help them make it better next time around, rather than just have tongue-baths of endless praise heaped on them for an imperfect product.

And while I'm being critical, the melee (something critically important in a game requiring stealth) is God-awful. No surprise insta-kill moves, and only some weapons having a melee attack is just unforgivable. If you're going to have a knife instead of melee attacks with every gun, don't make it a separate weapon I have to equip, just make a button I use to attack with it once while I've still got my main weapon selected. Don't force me to make repeated weak slashing attacks, give me a nice, powerful-looking thrust-into-the-back animation that's guaranteed to drop a fool quietly.

The animations are really mediocre too, but I can get past that, even if it does significantly detract from the otherwise "realistic" graphics. The ubiquitous curling smoke really draws you in until you see a monster gliding sideways as it approaches you.

Honestly, why don't devs employ more REAL gamers in their QA/testing departments? The issues with this game seem so obvious to fix; I'm perplexed as to how these errors are missed/overlooked/ignored. Maybe it's just a matter of budget and publishers demanding release dates.

Dorby5826and360

Apr 29, 2010
I disagree with this review. I loved how the game was very generic, it helped you experience the great story that the game has. Also the gameplay is great because I am not a stealth type person on games, but I accually enjoyed the stealth on this game it worked quite well. Also I thought the AI on the game was pretty smart, they did glitch now and again, but it did not ruin the gameplay.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
This is by far the weakest review the escapist has ever done. The shooting is not broken. Its not the best one around (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s shooting) but it is definitely not BROKEN. The only weapon that sucked was the shotgun, but its use was for the mutants anyway. Ever try to pierce combat armor with shotgun pellets? Assault rifles, maybe, but a shotgun is effective only against unarmed or lightly armored targets.
Stealth is not the best in the genre, but its a lot better than most other games nowadays. You just HAVE to watch your feet. The "It feels like you should be able to run and gun" part was hilarious. You can run and gun, and thats actually very easy. How you had problems I don't know.
Also the game did deliberately teach you how to stealth, it didn't say everything but thats good. It makes you actually think. I don't know how so many people believe that a game has to deliberately tell you how and what to do. You know what, I guess Nintendo is actually right here, if you want your game to score higher, include every possible hint and strategy in the manual or put the controls on a disc or something. Part of the fun is to master and learn the small tricks in each game in order to succeed.
The story is base on a (awesome) Russian novel called Metro 2033. The actual story is pretty good and one of the best and most mature in a videogame. Admittedly the game does not explain everything like it should, even cryptic, since I guess the devs thought you already read the book and knew about why the Nazis and Commies were there. The cut scenes with the dark ones were my favorite parts of the game. And the story was progressed when you listened to the other people talking. Yeah its a little slow, but if you do listen, the story is the best this year.
You are right about the AI- its fucking stupid.
I don't want to sound too elitist, but this is a game from eastern Europe and as such the existence of a console port was a surprise. Here VERY few people have consoles, almost everyone has a PC though. The difficulty was like this because, as I said, the game was made for PCs and maybe a part of the people that played it on a console found it too hard. Hell I had 1348 dirty rounds of AK ammo by the end of the game and around 500 ( i bought armor so it was 600) of the good ammo.
So why review a PC game that was released on the Xbox almost by incident(although the port is actually good, the difficulty was TAILORED FOR THE PC) on the console? Thats like me making a Halo 2 review on the PC version!
Oh and Logan Westbrook, I am not just a "rabid" fanboy in support of the game. I admit its not perfect,and not liking it is fine (some of my friends don't) but 40/100 is stupid when we remember that games like SMG2 get perfect scores or Final fantasy gets 80/100. Your job as a critic is to give fair scores, even when you do not like the game and to quote the game "try to get a better understanding of things before you make your judgement".
Otherwise all is well, and you are actually otherwise pretty cool.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
TheBritish said:
I know I can't shut up about the book, but... :)
There's a funny/awkward moment in the book when someone tells Artyom about the Nazis. The guy says that they barricade themselves against "the Dark Ones" (being Nazis, he's not talking about the mutants :)) and Artyom freaks out saying like "Oh no! Not Dark Ones! I hate Dark Ones!" :)
Don't forget when Artyom is rescued by the Trotskyites and has a momentary panic when he wakes up and thinks he sees a dark one. "Oh, just a black guy."

The book was so much better than the game. it explains stuff. And Artyom goes back home later in the book and finds that the dark ones have pretty much fucked his station.

The game was still great though. Clearly very few people have used the hellsing by the sound of it. Fully pumped, it can take out a librarian in six shots, and you get your ammo back.

Also, never, ever use the shotgun, It's crap. You can get a Tihar (Compressed air sniper/ BB gun on steroids) on the first level with Bourbon, which takes up the shotgun slot. By the time you see an auto-shotgun, the traders say your Tihar is better.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Charcharo said:
Sebenko said:
Have you read Metro 2034 yet?
No. I didn't even know the first book was available in English until I picked it up in a bookshop.

I hope the game is closer to the book next time.

Also, It's weird reading the book and seeing caucasian being portrayed as a foreign group.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sebenko said:
Charcharo said:
Sebenko said:
Have you read Metro 2034 yet?
No. I didn't even know the first book was available in English until I picked it up in a bookshop.

I hope the game is closer to the book next time.

Also, It's weird reading the book and seeing caucasian being portrayed as a foreign group.
Yeah its just that i am not sure how big Metro 2034 will be. The whole book is like 6 stations total. And maybe 1 (2 if there is a prologue) trips outside. Also the perspective must shift a lot between 4 characters ( maybe 3 or 5)

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Charcharo said:
Yeah its just that i am not sure how big Metro 2034 will be. The whole book is like 6 stations total. And maybe 1 (2 if there is a prologue) trips outside. Also the perspective must shift a lot between 4 characters ( maybe 3 or 5)
There were only one or two trips above ground in the first book (library and Ostantinko tower), but you went to the surface all the time in the game. And you take a totally different route in the book- south to Kitai Gorod, and west to Kievska. While in the game, you plow straight though the red line.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sebenko said:
Charcharo said:
There were only one or two trips above ground in the first book (library and Ostantinko tower), but you went to the surface all the time in the game. And you take a totally different route in the book- south to Kitai Gorod, and west to Kievska. While in the game, you plow straight though the red line.
Kitai Gorod means China town, and yeah its just that the route in the book (2034 ) was also pretty awesome. Radiation and mutants that can survive grenades...

LordMoose

Feb 7, 2010
I cleaned out every nazi and commie base, killed everyone and everything useong only a single shot or burst per person
Never found myself useing the shotgun much, but much of the other secondary weapons werent used either, sticking with a main assault weapon and a scoped, extended barrel, stocked, silence revolver.
Libraians Suck.
I. Had. No. Ammo. At the end of that mission, whimpering like a frightened puppy, having used Everything there, even all of my saved up pre-war shells.

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
I think its one of the best games ive played and unquie, and its was actually easy even on hard mode.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:

Well put sir. You may be my new favourite escapist. Now you must play it on hardcore and in Russian. Thats how you hafta play Metro XD.

In all seriousness everything this guy just said. The game doesn't hold your hand and thats why its good. The stealth is meant to be difficult because I don't know if you've noticed. But even when its dark you can still see shapes moving so walking 2 feet away from someone like normal isn't going to keep you well hidden.

But if you play it well you can make it through both of the large human hostile stations without firing a single bullet at a person. For everything else there's the scoped VSV.

Incidentally you don't have to kill all of the librarians. If you square up to them but keep a reasonable distance most of the librarians will leave you alone. Even the darker ones in the lower levels aren't all going to kill you.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
dathwampeer said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Well put sir. You may be my new favourite escapist. Now you must play it on hardcore and in Russian. Thats how you hafta play Metro XD.

In all seriousness everything this guy just said. The game doesn't hold your hand and thats why its good. The stealth is meant to be difficult because I don't know if you've noticed. But even when its dark you can still see shapes moving so walking 2 feet away from someone like normal isn't going to keep you well hidden.

But if you play it well you can make it through both of the large human hostile stations without firing a single bullet at a person. For everything else there's the scoped VSV.

Incidentally you don't have to kill all of the librarians. If you square up to them but keep a reasonable distance most of the librarians will leave you alone. Even the darker ones in the lower levels aren't all going to kill you.
First time I played, it was a mix of running for my life, starring and headshoting with a VSV. Damn that bath scene was fucking crazy!

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Charcharo said:
dathwampeer said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

First time I played, it was a mix of running for my life, starring and headshoting with a VSV. Damn that bath scene was fucking crazy!
Bath scene, which scene do you mean?

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
dathwampeer said:
Charcharo said:
dathwampeer said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Met

Ills
capist. Now you must play it on hardcore and in Russian. Thats how you hafta play Metro XD.

Inbrarians will leave you alone. Even the darker ones in the lower levels aren't all going to kill you.
The one in which a Librarian picks your face and starts slamming it into the wall. Then I regain control and follow the ***** to introduce him to my Vintorez.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Charcharo said:
dathwampeer said:
Charcharo said:
dathwampeer said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Met

Ills
capist. Now you must play it on hardcore and in Russian. Thats how you hafta play Metro XD.

Inbrarians will leave you alone. Even the darker ones in the lower levels aren't all going to kill you.
The one in which a Librarian picks your face and starts slamming it into the wall. Then I regain control and follow the ***** to introduce him to my Vintorez.
Aha I know which one you mean. On my first playtrhough I killed all of the librarians with the fullyouto shotgun I got for exclusive dlc because I wanted the bad ending. Second time round I think I only killed 1 librarian because it just wouldn't leave me alone. I ended up with the good ending that time. But I was playing it hardcore and didn't have the huge ass shotgun, so I didn't fancy fighting all of them

haha

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
And... disagreement. I know I'm a bit late to the party, but having just gotten the game, I am absolutely loving it. I wanted to know what The Escapist review was. And dang. I disagree on almost every point. It's a fantastic game. The reviewer can have his opinion though...

Except in two specific cases. For one, the shotgun shells aren't able to be swapped out with dirty bullets. Talking about the weakness of the shotgun in relation to military-grade bullets is completely irrelevant (and the shotgun really isn't that weak; even so, shells are all over the place, so you'll never run out). Secondly, why are we complaining that the enemies never forget that you're there if you trigger an alarm? Isn't the common complaint in stealth games that they unrealistically go about business as usual mere minutes after you killed one of them and ran off into the darkness? Why on earth would we be complaining when a game finally fixes that irritating misstep?

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

I love this game. It has superb atmosphere, every bit as good as Half-Life, and the stealth areas are a stern but fair challenge. I'm working on a revew for this.

randomsix

Apr 20, 2009
Charcharo said:
This is by far the weakest review the escapist has ever done. The shooting is not broken. Its not the best one around (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s shooting) but it is definitely not BROKEN. The only weapon that sucked was the shotgun, but its use was for the mutants anyway. Ever try to pierce combat armor with shotgun pellets? Assault rifles, maybe, but a shotgun is effective only against unarmed or lightly armored targets.
Stealth is not the best in the genre, but its a lot better than most other games nowadays. You just HAVE to watch your feet. The "It feels like you should be able to run and gun" part was hilarious. You can run and gun, and thats actually very easy. How you had problems I don't know.
Also the game did deliberately teach you how to stealth, it didn't say everything but thats good. It makes you actually think. I don't know how so many people believe that a game has to deliberately tell you how and what to do. You know what, I guess Nintendo is actually right here, if you want your game to score higher, include every possible hint and strategy in the manual or put the controls on a disc or something. Part of the fun is to master and learn the small tricks in each game in order to succeed.
The story is base on a (awesome) Russian novel called Metro 2033. The actual story is pretty good and one of the best and most mature in a videogame. Admittedly the game does not explain everything like it should, even cryptic, since I guess the devs thought you already read the book and knew about why the Nazis and Commies were there. The cut scenes with the dark ones were my favorite parts of the game. And the story was progressed when you listened to the other people talking. Yeah its a little slow, but if you do listen, the story is the best this year.
You are right about the AI- its fucking stupid.
I don't want to sound too elitist, but this is a game from eastern Europe and as such the existence of a console port was a surprise. Here VERY few people have consoles, almost everyone has a PC though. The difficulty was like this because, as I said, the game was made for PCs and maybe a part of the people that played it on a console found it too hard. Hell I had 1348 dirty rounds of AK ammo by the end of the game and around 500 ( i bought armor so it was 600) of the good ammo.
So why review a PC game that was released on the Xbox almost by incident(although the port is actually good, the difficulty was TAILORED FOR THE PC) on the console? Thats like me making a Halo 2 review on the PC version!
Oh and Logan Westbrook, I am not just a "rabid" fanboy in support of the game. I admit its not perfect,and not liking it is fine (some of my friends don't) but 40/100 is stupid when we remember that games like SMG2 get perfect scores or Final fantasy gets 80/100. Your job as a critic is to give fair scores, even when you do not like the game and to quote the game "try to get a better understanding of things before you make your judgement".
Otherwise all is well, and you are actually otherwise pretty cool.
I don't care how flagrant this act of necromancy is, but this quote must be appreciated.

OT, as if it matters any more: The reviewer seemed to go into this expecting a vastly different experience, and never adjusted this outlook. His complaints would be valid if this were a COD kind of game, but it's trying hard not to be.

Chrinik

May 8, 2008
I know this is necromancy, and I hope it hasn´t been brought up yet, but the complaint about the enemies taking unusual amounts of punishment? Yeah, adjust the difficulty higher...
What is this, you ask? Higher? Are you mad?
No, I am not. The difficulty rises by having you find less stuff, less MGRs, less Filters (and you will LONG for filters if you really explore the surface), less ammo overall, but counters this with enemies taking less amounts of punishment, including you and allies.
So the game is harder, but in some aspect, it´s also easier...it´s...fairer, I guess.
I recently started anew in Hardcore mode, and, whilst constantly being low on ammo (Awesome!), having to stealth where possible (even stealthed by my first surface run, barely had to fight any mutants, and it is a very delicate feeling when a mutant brushes past you mere INCHES, but ignores you because you haven´t been murdering it´s family and friends...) to conserve as much ammo as possible, I have yet to encounter a serrious problem in firefights...enemies go down explicably easier, carefully aiming at vital areas (like, the head), and giving off short bursts is actually rather efficient, and I have yet to find a room full of enemies that I cannot clear with 1 or 2 Mags of my AK...
Also, the bastardgun is inaccurate as hell, if you tried it out on the range in fullauto, most of the shots don´t even hit the target 5 feet away from you, unless you use bursts (YES, unlike Call of Duty, which just tells you to use bursts because it sounds all military, this game actually MEANS IT!), and so is every other gun to a point, but it is also laughably weak.
If you escorted Bourbon through the Tunnels, turn around, you will find his AK. It is one of THE strongest assaultrifles, damage per round wise, the strongest one being the silenced VSS type rifle, and is also much more accurate then the Bastard.
And no, it doesn´t feel like you can run and gun, at all. You shouldn´t...in this game, taking cover, or using stealth are vital in a firefight with humans, although exept for librarians and that one level which I mentioned earlier where I somehow managed to sneak by multiple mutants, unnoticed, even when one ran into me and wanted to eat me, and I had to introduce it´s neck to my knife, mutants can mostly be defeated by offence. But you can also be smart about your offence, too.

The stealth is awesome...I don´t know what feels broken about it, it´s great. It´s suspenseful, usefull (saving ammo), and athmospheric, as well as self explainatory, and if you fuck up even once, your cover is blown and they are out for your ass.

The guns....the developers really showed great care about the guns. They not only look the part, they also have nice visuals about their mechanics, like the Auto-shotgun Uboyneg, which you have to load a special kind of way to make use of all 6 cylinders it offers, or the Revolver having a little hole for you to see when it´s empty, or most magazines being halfcut, so you can actually see the rounds remaining...this game doesn´t need a HUD for the most part...

You don´t have enough time to invest in the stations? Why not? What is the hurry?
Just because someone tells you to "gear up and get going." doesn´t mean you have to.
Noone is gonna bite your ear off if you take your time, listen to storys, look at the people, knock on doors, give beggars some bullets etc etc... I took alot of time just exploring the stations and levels for every nook and cranny, and get to hear some of the greatest, most athmospheric storys told by people about events I wasn´t there to witness, but through the accounts of these people, felt like I had been. And it felt like a bigger world outside. Like there is something else.

The Nazis? Sure, don´t laugh, there are more Nazis in current russia then there where in germany back in 1940, but there are also communists.
Why are they there? Well, because it is based on a BOOK and there are also various factions in the Metro, so why exclude them, just because they sound silly on paper?
Yeah, let´s add Tunnel Nazis....nooo that would be too strange.

Well, I do admit the game has flaws, but they are most likely not found in the story telling, athmosphere or gameplay department.
One thing I liked the most about the game was the little extra animations they added. You did feel like a human, and not some weird camera on wheels that could hold a gun.
For example, in the Library, Artyom searches through various cabinets, looks at the content and throws them away, puts them back, whatever, and keeps searching. After a while, he kind of snaps and just yanks out these things like crazy, until he notices one marked "D6", the base you are searching info for. So he finds it, and hauls ass to the exit, whereupon a librarian almost kills him, but you are saved in the last second by your comrades. All a cutscene, all first person, and all unplayable, but still feels very much ingame.

Same goes for the HUD...you can look at your watch freely, which has a build in light meter and a timer for when your filters will run out and need to be swapped, which also happens visually. Depending on what gun you are holding, he will look differenty at his watch, using a method most convenient for the kind of weapon he is currently holding.
Putting on the mask, as well as the NVGs, which are really cool btw, is also done in first person.
It´s not like how in other games, you press a button and now the feature is activated, but you really see, hear or feel like you breathe heavily through a used up filter of a gas mask...

Well yeah, I like the game despite it´s flaws, one of the best singleplayer experiences I´ve ever had.

Ashot

Dec 12, 2011
I know this is quite late, but if you didn't find any opportunities for stealth rather than combat, I'm wondering whether you played the game right. Also, the easy difficulty which I assume you were playing on gives the enemies more health as well as you, whereas the harder difficulties give both the player and the enemies less health. I know the storyline wasn't great but if you've ever played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. then Metro 2033 feels extremely familiar in setting and gameplay, although admittedly they had the Bethesda problem of copy pasting voice actors.