Review: Metro 2033

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Review: Metro 2033

Despite a load of good ideas, Metro 2033 doesn't quite make the grade.

Read Full Article

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Horrid review. Simply horrid. The worst "official" review I've seen on this site, actually.

Metro 2033 has quite possibly the best stealth I've ever seen. It's better stealth than Splinter Cell: Conviction, imo.

Dirty Bullets "laughably weak"?

I don't know what your were playing, but I beat the game on Normal with little trouble. And never fired a single military grade round. Not even once. Towards the end, as a LOOTING MASTER, I had 700 SMG/Rifle rounds. 250 shotgun shells. 200 revolver rounds. And I used a lot of that on the "Librarians". Seriously. Those things suck. I had like 300 SMG rounds left after that level, and a few shotgun shells.

Oh, yeah. I managed to stealth through nearly every area that had human enemies. Often without killing ANYONE. This game doesn't hold your hand. I had to use trial and error to accomplish my stealth.

In fact, the only really bad element of the game were the amoeba...things towards the end.

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
I disagree with this review strongly. Feeling underpowered isn't a flaw, its a benefit. I'm sick of playing Rambo, vulnerability adds tension. Plus, they had a very famous novel to follow, they couldn't exactly let the player do whatever the heck they wanted.

If you're a narrative driven player, or just one who likes their shooters to be a little more difficult, you should really pick this one up.

EDIT - Also, I agree with Onyx, dirty rounds are all you need if you're careful. But don't spray and pray like you do in most shooters or you'll end up out of bullets altogether.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
I don't think this was quite the spiritual successor to STALKER that I was hoping it would be, but it's an interesting experiment nonetheless.

If this review has any relation to my opinion of it, then this shall be a solid rental.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Yeah, Nils first video review (i think, correct me if I'm wrong)

anyways, this seems so... done before. from the look and sound of it it's just another generic FPS, among the many others, nothing makes it stand out.

Mar 30, 2010
Crunchy English said:
I disagree with this review strongly. Feeling underpowered isn't a flaw, its a benefit. I'm sick of playing Rambo, vulnerability adds tension. Plus, they had a very famous novel to follow, they couldn't exactly let the player do whatever the heck they wanted.

If you're a narrative driven player, or just one who likes their shooters to be a little more difficult, you should really pick this one up.

EDIT - Also, I agree with Onyx, dirty rounds are all you need if you're careful. But don't spray and pray like you do in most shooters or you'll end up out of bullets altogether.
Spot on.

Metro: 2033 does a very good job of keeping the player feeling edgy and vulnerable, which is important when the whole point of the game is that Artyom has been sent on a mission that he's totally unprepared for.

I don't feel this is a bad game at all, I feel the review has missed the point.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
I also completely disagree with this review! I have ONE bad thing to say about this game, and that is the aiming is not as smooth as it could be. But that was MINOR compared to the awesome atmosphere, the (imo) suitably depressed voice overs of artyom, the extremely fast loading times, the awesome graphic, the fantastic! incorporation of gas masks and night vision goggles, the varied gameplay between stealth, shooting and dealing with mutants...

It seems the reviewer is angry because he wasnt particulary good at it. Granted the stealth sections can be hard since there is no quicksave in this game...but that just makes it more exciting! And you dont HAVE to stealth, you can whip out your weapons and fire away if you want to.

I advice people to try it out and dont judge the game on this review, it completely misses the mark.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
is the escapist have an office in The UK now? it the first time i heard some one outside the states do a review on this site. (besides zero punctuation)

SomeBoredGuy

Nov 18, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Horrid review. Simply horrid. The worst review I've seen on this site, actually.

Metro 2033 has quite possibly the best stealth I've ever seen. It's better stealth than Splinter Cell: Conviction, imo.

Dirty Bullets "laughably weak"?

I don't know what your were playing, but I beat the game on Normal with little trouble. And never fired a single military grade round. Not even once. Towards the end, as a LOOTING MASTER, I had 700 SMG/Rifle rounds. 250 shotgun shells. 200 revolver rounds. And I used a lot of that on the "Librarians". Seriously. Those things suck. I had like 300 SMG rounds left after that level, and a few shotgun shells.

Oh, yeah. I managed to stealth through nearly every area that had human enemies. Often without killing ANYONE.

In fact, the only really bad element of the game were the amoeba...things towards the end.
Woah. Just because you disagree with the review, doesn't make it "horrid". And trust me, you'll find way worse in the User Reviews section.

OT: I haven't actually played the game so I can't really comment on how true the facts are. I wasn't really intending to buy this anyway, and I'm still unchanged.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I really enjoyed the game, but, I do certainly agree with the review...the game could have been done so much better

I loved the inclusion of the Nazi's lol, hilarious

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
someboredguy said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Woah. Just because you disagree with the review, doesn't make it "horrid". And trust me, you'll find way worse in the User Reviews section.
Oh god. I disagree completely. And yes, I meant in the "offical review" capacity. The ones from the "staff".

I've seen MUCH worse in User Reviews.

VanBasten

Aug 20, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
nothing makes it stand out.
Except the atmosphere, which is one of the best I've experienced in shooters recently.

It seems to me that the reviewer rushed through the game and focused too much on slight technical things(no prone or lean? seriously, that's a problem?) and missed a lot of the actual game.

FPS elements are admittedly a bit clunky, but nowhere near as bad as the reviewer suggest. Stealth is actually pretty decent, and the game overall is really not hard(I haven't fired a single round of military grade ammo on normal and I only died a couple of times).

Regarding story, I for one think the game doesn't need giant flashing sings or expositions that explain absolutely every single detail of everything that's going on, it's nice to see a game that keeps a little mystery and lets you draw your own conclusions.

So, I guess chalk this comment up as another one in the disagree strongly column.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
I'm enjoying the game, but I'm preferring the book. The characters and some situations are the same, but the book has more parts like the Ghosts level, where it's actually the tunnels themselves that are the adversary. There's very little in the way of actual action so far, it's more a psychological journey.

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
Decent review. You covered a lot of the points that as a whole took away from the game, but the thing that I noticed is that this game is weird in that it looks different to different people, not in a "I dislike X type game but like A" but in a "I see a square while someone else sees a circle" way. For instance another poster mentioned their stealthing the humans (kudos by the way, I got caught every single damn time) was the way they played the game while you said you felt that the game lent itself to more a run and gun type game, but when I played it I got the idea that this went for the slightly more realistic feel, the use of the gas mask, weak ammo and health making this game seem more like a survival or realism game, and since it was released as fps/survival horror game I thought it did this really well. For instance the ammo seemed underpowered to me but I felt that they wanted you to have to fight every battle slowly, using a dart gun to pick off the first few guys silently then going all out with the AK.

Other than that, I felt you got a lot right, I thought the story was a bit iffy as well and totally agree on their misuse of atmosphere, always pushing us forward taking away a lot from what could have been a better game.

As a last point: 2 stars? Ouch. I disliked parts but thats a downright head-butt, specially to a developers first game, maybe not as individuals but as a group its definitely a fantastic first release.