Review: Metro 2033

TheAmazingTGIF

Friday Only Superhero
Aug 5, 2009
I am really sorry for this, but this sentence kept bugging me the entire review:
"...under threat from the Dark Ones, a race of psychic boogeymen called the Dark Ones..."

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
The Cheezy One said:
zombie711 said:
is the escapist have an office in The UK now? it the first time i heard some one outside the states do a review on this site. (besides zero punctuation)
i noticed that too, im grateful to actually hear another UK voice aside from ZPs. no offence to all the americans, canadians and australians, but they are all i hear
We're an American company. It's really so surprising to hear American accents from the staff?
not as such, and actually there is so much of a mix of accents and nationalities, i didnt even know it was based in America, but as far as i can remember, the only UK voice i have heard is Mr Croshaws. I actually thought that the Escapist was an international based thing, and that there just happened to be a lot of Americans
And of course Susan, your accent is what livens up my weeks [smarmy grin]!

Stylish_Robot

Dec 29, 2008
TheAmazingTGIF said:
I am really sorry for this, but this sentence kept bugging me the entire review:
"...under threat from the Dark Ones, a race of psychic boogeymen called the Dark Ones..."
damn, beat me to it

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
I had the chance to play a portion of the game in 3D at PAX East and it was totally awesome.

That experience, coupled with this review, has led me to conclude that any game, no matter how unfortunate, can be awesome in 3D.

Have you ever washed the dishes man...in 3D!?(Queue John Stewart's cameo in Half Baked)

Serum211

Sep 28, 2009
I havent really played the game so this is more or less senterd on the review itself.

The arguments are okay. But most of them seem to come from the fact that game maybe designed to be hard. If it was not designed to be hard, well then its clearly design problem. Overall a decent review

And guys, stop hitting on this review. I mean just because someone else has a diffrent opinion then you its suddenly a ''horrid review''.

FastFoot92

Jun 4, 2009
Baconmonster723 said:
This. In fact I've seen from past threads that we sit eye to eye on pretty much everything about this game. It isn't the best game, but it is one hell of a ride. It's a blast to stealth around, because not only is the stealth system fair, it's realistic. Every person you meet is going to be cautious, when they see something or someone they aren't just gonna say "oh he's gone now it's safe." No they will find you and kill you before they relax. Can't tell you how many times I was stealthing through an area, got sloppy and stood in too much light, or got sloppy and stepped on some glass, or over a tripwire. It's fantastic, and quite possibly one of the best stealth systems on the market.
Oh that stealth syestem! They tricked me into using it in that Nazi occupied station. I was sneaking up on the two un-armoured sentrys and,those clever bastards, they started talking abut their families! How could I kill them now? Damn you 4a games

TheBritish

The really, quite jolly rascal
Nov 12, 2009
LimaBravo said:
How does the book hold up ?
The book has far less combat and far less surface time. It's more about things like "fate" and the main enemy is "fear" rather than people. I really liked it. Creepy and scary at times, always kept me pushing forwards to figure out what was going on and the ending was just... You read it and just feel like it all makes so much sense :)

I havn't finished the game yet, so I can't really compare the two to the end, but... Aw hell, I liked the book. That's all I can really tell you :) I'm now hunting for a copy of Metro-2035 :)

Nikajo

Feb 6, 2009
I honestly cannot understand why people don't like this game. Yes it's difficult in places, yes sometimes the enemies seem to be bulletproof yes the stealth is hard but why would you want a game you can breeze through?

"Your only option is to run and gun"...? Clearly somebody has never heard of sniping. I went through this entire game (on normal difficulty) without firing a single round of the military grade ammo.

Kinda hoping Yahtzee will review this game soon. He'll probably say its rubbish but looking forward to the jokes none the less :)

p.s. for people having trouble with the librarians - pneumatic arrow launcher, fully pumped up will kill a librarian in one shot to the head. And then you can take the arrow back. Just a little ammo saving advice :)

VanBasten

Aug 20, 2009
theownerer said:
wow that looks terrible. Glad I avoided it.
Maybe read the rest of the comments in this thread before you post, as most of those disagree strongly with the review, and may give you a bit of a broader picture.

theownerer

Aug 9, 2009
VanBasten said:
theownerer said:
wow that looks terrible. Glad I avoided it.
Maybe read the rest of the comments in this thread before you post, as most of those disagree strongly with the review, and may give you a bit of a broader picture.
I know but just that brief moment of gameplay where he walked around sluggishly walks around and shoots a guy in the face with a shotgun to have him survive, just really puts me off.

Bobbovski

May 19, 2008
I liked it personally. I felt that it was very interesting and atmospheric. But yes, it could have been done better.

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
Something about his review just seemed off.
Like he set out to play it run and gun and just gave up when he realised it dosen't work that way.
Still want to get this when the price drops.

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
I've only play a little under an hour into the game so far and i must say i disagree with pretty much everything said in the review. "run and gun" take an extra half second and aim then there is no problem, its not supposed to be easy, if you could run and gun your way through the entire game the atmosphere wouldn't be nearly as immersive and scary as it it. It is aiming for that survival horror feel the weaker guns and the bullet counting are all part of this.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
SPARTA!!!

but seriously, everything I've seen about this game shows a lot to be liked but with some sloppy gameplay
might give it a look some time, but probably wouldn't invest in it (might take a look at the book tho)