Review: Metro 2033

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Good or Bad review aside was I the only one who thought of the number 9 guy from Futurama when the "Dark ones" were brought up?

TheBritish

The really, quite jolly rascal
Nov 12, 2009
I know I can't shut up about the book, but... :)
There's a funny/awkward moment in the book when someone tells Artyom about the Nazis. The guy says that they barricade themselves against "the Dark Ones" (being Nazis, he's not talking about the mutants :)) and Artyom freaks out saying like "Oh no! Not Dark Ones! I hate Dark Ones!" :)

pokkuti

Feb 14, 2008
Well, if you wanna run and gun, try using the correct weapon. Using Un-pump pneumatic rifle in close combat, against horde of enemy? You sir, are genius :p

Chrissyluky

Jul 3, 2009
Diagonal Horizontality said:
Based on this review, the game sounds a lot like Far Cry. Broken stealth mechanics, underpowered weapons and overpowered mutants do not make a particularly good game - regardless of graphical fidelity and physics engine complexity. The underdeveloped characters and themes just reek of generic shooter to me, so I'll give it a miss.

The source material at least sounds interesting, though.
Blackadder51 said:
Uh im getting a 404 on the link
That would be because the article technically wasn't published. It's up now.
Do not be fooled by this review this was a very poor review and all of his hardships were ones I never encountered. I played on the hardest difficulty there is and I did not retry as much as he supposedly did. I never had to use military rounds either. This review was very poorly done in my opinion. I do not consider it a poor review because it disagrees with me I consider it a poor review because what he considered facts seem to be bad decisions on his part.

Meilow

Dec 5, 2009
I will agree that Metro 2033 does have some rust spots that could be worked out. Sometimes bullets won't hit. It's annoying trying to sneak around and take out only one guard, while the head shot doesn't register and he freaks out and alerts everyone. That was my only problem with the game, but it's something simple to overlook if you're going for the stealthy aspect of the game. When this game came out I stopped playing FF13 (who wouldn't) and got intensely involved in this game. While it is laughably short, I have not played a game this year that made me feel apart of it such as this game did. If it were up to me, this game (so far) would be game of the year, and its only contenders just fall short in different areas that this game excelled at.

kibayasu

Jan 3, 2008
What I think could have pushed Metro 2033 into the realm of "great" is not something related to the gameplay at all.

The first half of the game is getting from your dingy little outskirts station to what can only be described as, if you listen to people talk about it, a (subjective) paradise: Polis Station. It's incredibly well defended, anyone who wants to get anywhere has to pass through it, it's properous, it's spacious, it has electricity. I was quite excited when I got to Polis in the game because the smaller stations were quite well done so I couldn't wait to see what they would do with the grandest of the grand stations.

Of course, as those who played it know, we didn't get to see any of it. We got to see the main train yard, a tiny trade room, and a glance of greatness as the game moves us toward the Council room; we got to see a water canal with a gondola running below a vast hall filled with people.

Quite frankly if the game had let me wander around Polis a bit, I'd have been able to get over the flaws of the game even more. But I'm willing betting this was a time issue over something that would be awesome yet pointless to the story.

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
The Cheezy One said:
zombie711 said:
is the escapist have an office in The UK now? it the first time i heard some one outside the states do a review on this site. (besides zero punctuation)
i noticed that too, im grateful to actually hear another UK voice aside from ZPs. no offence to all the americans, canadians and australians, but they are all i hear
We're an American company. It's really so surprising to hear American accents from the staff?
It's not a surprise. They were commenting on its nice to hear someone English. Which I agree with. Its very nice to hear someone English. Which makes me give this review a big thumbs up (Y)

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
"No time to establish emotional connection to home station"

Did you even stop to listen in on the conversations going on around you?
They were VERY effective at getting me to care.
Especially the small children who had never known what the world had been like before the nukes dropped.

And Artyom wasn't completely immune, he was simply more resistant to the Dark Ones' attacks. And besides (SPOILER WARNING), they once say "We wish... PEACE." So, maybe the Dark Ones don't want to hurt him for some reason. And while... yeah... the stealth can get a little aggravating after a while, there were plenty of ideas peppered throughout the whole game to keep me interested, and the story, I thought, was very well presented. And besides, would it really have been a good idea for the protagonist to talk while trying to sneak past the Nazis?

Now... the only reason I haven't completed the game yet is because I've gotten stuck in the library. No... literally stuck... I can't figure out how to go back and open one of the doors for my teammates, and I can't climb back the way I came because 1) there's no easy way for me to pile up crap so that I could jump back up, and 2) there's no way (that i know of) to access the command console, so no noclip either. Umm... yeah I have the PC version... but I'm playing it on my aging rig anyway. Still looks pretty damn good though.

Ardenon

Sep 7, 2009
TheDoctor455 said:
Now... the only reason I haven't completed the game yet is because I've gotten stuck in the library. No... literally stuck... I can't figure out how to go back and open one of the doors for my teammates, and I can't climb back the way I came because 1) there's no easy way for me to pile up crap so that I could jump back up, and 2) there's no way (that i know of) to access the command console, so no noclip either. Umm... yeah I have the PC version... but I'm playing it on my aging rig anyway. Still looks pretty damn good though.
If you still haven't figured out how to open the door, try watching youtube for some hints. The doors in the library are somewhat difficult to get through, not sure where you're stuck though. The problem I had there, was when I had to shoot the chandelier so it would bust open the doors. Good thing it started flashing after a while, couldn't guess otherwise :p . But other than that, there's always a way to get through.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Ardenon said:
TheDoctor455 said:
If you still haven't figured out how to open the door, try watching youtube for some hints. The doors in the library are somewhat difficult to get through, not sure where you're stuck though. The problem I had there, was when I had to shoot the chandelier so it would bust open the doors. Good thing it started flashing after a while, couldn't guess otherwise :p . But other than that, there's always a way to get through.
Well... I also had to quit because I hadn't managed my resources well enough at that point. I had bought a few guns here or there... didn't need to buy ammo. No... the only resource that was giving me trouble at that point were air filters. And since the last station that I had any money in was before the communist one... well... I might as well have just started a new game entirely.

Ardenon

Sep 7, 2009
TheDoctor455 said:
Well... I also had to quit because I hadn't managed my resources well enough at that point. I had bought a few guns here or there... didn't need to buy ammo. No... the only resource that was giving me trouble at that point were air filters. And since the last station that I had any money in was before the communist one... well... I might as well have just started a new game entirely.
Strange, I was playing on Hard difficulty and never bought 1 air filter, always managed finding them here and there. And yeah, "money" is always worth spending on smg bullets, you'll find guns later on, like a pistol with a scope between those doors in the library...

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
I haven't played the game much yet, having just met with Khan. However, so far I find the review totally off. While not perfect, this is a damn good game. It combines shooty action with great atmosphere. In the first outdoor segment (not the intro), I was on edge the whole time. I can't recall the last time I was so sucked into a game like that (maybe Ravenholm). I was scared to even fire a shot, since I knew it would bring a horde down on me I had little chance of fighting off. You feel so VULNERABLE, and that's a weird feeling for an FPS. Usually in a game you pick up a gun and feel like a god. Here, it's the opposite. The damage from your guns is barely adequate, your reloads are long, and enemies can easily take you down. It feels GREAT. I've died a few times, but it just spurred me to play better.

In short, I feel the reviewer approached this game the totally wrong way. He even said "it seems like it should play like a run and gun shooter", when that's totally off the mark. The reviewer went in playing the game with the wrong mindset, and it clouded his review.

DanHibiki

Aug 5, 2009
What the hell does he mean "you have to run and gun"? You never have to run and gun, that's the exact opposite of what you should be doing. You have to hide and snipe people in the face. This is the only way to play the game unless you face the mutants, in which case it's knifing at the start, two shot to the head when they rush you or spray with dart gun when there's a huge one coming at you in the library.

Running around with a shot gun is the last thing that anyone should do in the game.

Also, throwing knives is the best way to start with. Have fun!

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I'll admit the shooting is off but I didn't buy it for that reason, rather I wanted something less traditional than the current releases. I mean heavy atmosphere and story based Russian FPS survival horror? Now that's different.

Now the Metacritic average went down because of this...

Oh well, the majority still liked it and most importantly I liked it and you should to regardless of nay sayers.

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
The Almighty Grigard said:
You are the incorrect one, and if there is a bug involved, you hit it.

Instead of blindly following what your followers hastily told you before leaving like it was the word of god will get you nowhere. Sure, my attempts to stare them down failed at first but then discovered this by experimenting.

Stare at them until they stop and look at you wondering. After a little while they will usually start to growl and do threatening gestures at you. Take the hint! Back off slowly while looking at them. You surrendered to them and therefore you are not a threat and you will be left alone. For me this made this part of the game freaking great, I thought the librarians were well made and felt plausible, like they were animals.
I heard this elsewhere already and I can assure you I tried it out and it never worked. When the see you they growl and immediately run at you clawing you. I tried this out in both play troughs as I always try to test a game throughout before giving comments/reviews about it. So point in case I never observed such a behavior. They always attacked on sight.

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
TheBritish said:
Also throwing a knife is a one hit kill nine times out of ten. You just have to try to hit one of the gaps in the armour, like under the arm or the back of the neck. Like the NPCs do.
I can not confirm this at all testing the game a lot. I tried all the ways people claim this is supposed to work but it does not. I've not witness one single time a thrown knife to inflict a one-hit kill even if thrown at the unprotected back/neck of an unsuspecting enemy. On the other hand the air-gun kills front-facing through thick masks. Only with military grade helmets you need a second shot which is understandable.

TheBritish

The really, quite jolly rascal
Nov 12, 2009
Odjin said:
TheBritish said:
Also throwing a knife is a one hit kill nine times out of ten. You just have to try to hit one of the gaps in the armour, like under the arm or the back of the neck. Like the NPCs do.
I can not confirm this at all testing the game a lot. I tried all the ways people claim this is supposed to work but it does not. I've not witness one single time a thrown knife to inflict a one-hit kill even if thrown at the unprotected back/neck of an unsuspecting enemy. On the other hand the air-gun kills front-facing through thick masks. Only with military grade helmets you need a second shot which is understandable.
I've rarely seen an unprotected back to be honest :) Just because they're not looking doesn't mean there's no armour there :) (Arms and legs aren't insta-kills either), but I rarely find that someone -doesn't- die from one throwing knife...

Zack84

Feb 9, 2010
Nobody is going to convince me the stealth elements are well-implemented, and if you believe they are, you're patently stupid or don't play a lot of games. THIEF implemented stealth almost perfectly and that was what, 1997?

Here's the (repeated) scenario: I'm playing the game on Hard (because I'm an FPS vet and I like a challenge) and I'm hiding, crouched still in total darkness, and some humans have noticed their silently downed comrades maybe 20 seconds after I've done the deed and have moved to what should be a safe distance in a completely dark corner. Without even shining a headlamp in my direction, one of them somehow spots me moments later and opens fire, followed by all his buddies, who quickly riddle me with bullets. They don't have to search for me, they just kind of stand around and suddenly *BAM* I'm getting hit. This happens ALL THE DAMN TIME. In what way does this NOT perfectly exemplify a broken stealth system? My watch light is green and there's significant distance between myself and the nearest enemy, and yet it's as if I've got an entire Dollar Tree's worth of lit sparklers taped to my chest.

Now, I really do appreciate the vulnerable nature of Artyom; it fits in well with the story and atmosphere that he shoots terribly and can't take a lot of hits. I too am bored of the Rambo-style fps. But the game is built to have stealth sections, and from what I've found around the forums most other people see them as broken garbage as well, and end up being forced to just dispense with every baddy in the area. The developers obviously didn't intend to make that the primary approach to these sections of the game. Sure it can be done, but it robs the game of the tension these scenes are designed to have, and make them more of a lengthy chore.

Trial and error is acceptable up to a point, but the stealth aspect is utterly broken by unrealistic AI that can spot you hiding in total darkness. And yet, before I found the NV goggles, I kept flashing my headlamp on and off rapidly to get a bearing in the total darkness, and the baddies standing 10 feet away DIDN'T notice me. How ridiculous.

I'm still gonna plug along and try to get through this game because I really appreciate the atmosphere and story, but please stop defending the game's stealth portions, because they ARE broken. It doesn't make the game bad, but the developers need to understand where their game fails so as to help them make it better next time around, rather than just have tongue-baths of endless praise heaped on them for an imperfect product.

And while I'm being critical, the melee (something critically important in a game requiring stealth) is God-awful. No surprise insta-kill moves, and only some weapons having a melee attack is just unforgivable. If you're going to have a knife instead of melee attacks with every gun, don't make it a separate weapon I have to equip, just make a button I use to attack with it once while I've still got my main weapon selected. Don't force me to make repeated weak slashing attacks, give me a nice, powerful-looking thrust-into-the-back animation that's guaranteed to drop a fool quietly.

The animations are really mediocre too, but I can get past that, even if it does significantly detract from the otherwise "realistic" graphics. The ubiquitous curling smoke really draws you in until you see a monster gliding sideways as it approaches you.

Honestly, why don't devs employ more REAL gamers in their QA/testing departments? The issues with this game seem so obvious to fix; I'm perplexed as to how these errors are missed/overlooked/ignored. Maybe it's just a matter of budget and publishers demanding release dates.