Review: Metroid Other M

Denizen

Jan 29, 2010
And thus the blemishless quality of the metroid franchise comes to an end...

Thanks Nintendo, I can save that $50 for something else now.

*looks on steam for some good deals to escape thinking about "the latest metroid game"*

Adules said:
I joined this site just so I could talk about Other M. For the most part I agree with the review, but i have to say that this is the most terrible metroid game to come out so far, rivaling only Metroid Prime Hunters.

The combat is solid, for the most part, except it honestly feels better suited for something like a Mega Man game, rather than a Metroid game. The constant high intensity, fast paced combat would be fine, except the game sacrifices atmosphere and exploration at the same time, making it feel more like a quick paced action title, than an actionadventure/puzzle title. In previous games, especially Prime, you could stop and breath in the beautiful environments. A combination of beautiful map designs, music, and graphical effects would either build incredible environments, or create intense suspense. But in Other M, we have linear, uninteresting, tedious level designs, which are just generic and boring. But of course, worse than anything, is the absolutely terrible plot. I disagree with the review on the point that it gets better, because for me, it was consistently horrible. I am against the idea of fleshing out Samus's personality, as I prefer the games to be mysterious with minimum dialogue (like a solo journeys through beautiful and hostile scifi worlds). So, yeah I am against the concept to begin with, but this character is just plain awful. It's horrendous. She is not bad ass in the slightest, her "introspective depth" is shallow and obnoxious, and she is completely submissive. The story is riddled with cliches, characters are terrible, writing is bottom tier, and worst of all, there is zero subtlety. So, in my opinion, this game sucks in almost every way. Don't buy it, because not only is it a waste of money, it supports the idea that this game is a good idea. If they make a lot of money on this piece of shit, then they might be convinced to continue the franchise in this direction.
Welcome to The Escapist, congratulations, you have said it all.

Tminusfun

Sep 7, 2010
You give Nintendo too much credit. They didn't make these gameplay changes in Other M for the sake of advancing gaming as an artistic medium, they did it in a cynical attempt to appeal to the Japanese market that was never much into Metroid.

For all the talk about how it's "evolving" the series, there's nothing new about Other M's gameplay. It's really just a dumbed down Ninja Gaiden without camera control. Nintendo played it safe by borrowing from everybody else. This ins't innovation, it's plagiarism. If they really wanted to be bold, they would have built upon what made the previous Metroid games so successful regardless of how it would have been received.

Auto-targeting is dodgy, and switching to an immobile first person perspective is just jarring, especially when then game forces you to do a pixel hunt and scan for some obscure clue in the background.

And if Nintendo really wanted to make a next gen Metroid, then why not take advantage of the nunchuck?

The exploring feels tacked on, and there's no sense of "iceberging" like there is in 1, Super Metroid, or Metroid Prime. Now you just follow painfully linear directions and maybe go to a bonus room. The level design is also pretty bland, and it isn't helped by the boring ambient sounds. Combat is also a chore, especially when you kill all the enemies by jumping on them and shootting their heads, and don't forget that you can't use your missiles without that awkward first person switch. And because of regenerating health, there's no real tension to the fights.

What upsets me is that people are praising these just because they're different from the other Metroid games, and calling it "innovation". Nintendo didn't innovate with Other M, they borrowed well-worn elements from other 3rd Person 3D action titles and diffused some Metroid elements within them, at the expense of a richer, more idiosyncratic experience that is synonymous with the name "Metroid". Sure, you can praise it for being different from the other games in the series, but what good is that if the game loses it's soul, along with everything else that made it unique.

I refuse to believe it's because the traditional Metroidvania formula is stale. Shadow Complex, the recent Castlevania titles, and scores of popular indie games like Cave Story and VVVVVV prove that you can still create an exciting Metroidvania without unnecessary change and still deliver riveting experience. This was Nintendo's chance to give Metroid a return to form after the linear nature of Prime 2 and 3, and they blew it.

Samus Characterization is abysmal. She's always been portrayed as stoic, but she's had a consistent characterization throughout the series. Soparing the hatching in Metroid 2 and donating it to science in Super Metroid demonstrated her compassion. And don't forget that she was visibly saddened by the destruction of the Chozo Temple at the end of the first Metroid Prime game, and mourned the deaths of her fellow bounty hunters at the end of Prime 3. She's always been shown as a strong and compassionate character, who certainly wouldn't break down in front of Ridley and need a token black sidekick to save her. That characterization via her actions, not to mention the backstory-via-scans in Prime, were a much better way to tell a story in a Metroid game, and it worked.

The reason there's so much backlash against Samus' characterization in Other M is because after 25 or so years of her being shown as confident, silent, compassionate, and determined, it strikes many fans as downright illegitimate to have her suddenly full of seld-doubt. Why should a woman who single-handily saved the galaxy on her own with steely confidence suddenly want to go back in time and have her former commanding officer want to do all her thinking for her? Why is she freezing up in front of Ridley and flashing back to her childhood after years of killing him? It's hard to see the consummate professional of all the other games suddenly turn into a anime character that gives all anime characters a bad name.

It also makes her look like an idiot. Why would she trust the Federation in Fusion after going through this?

And the art direction was just bad. The character models all looked like Dead or Alive rejects.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
the series before Prime HAS sold well in Japan. I say go right ahead; the North American market isn't the only one on the planet.

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
droppingpenny said:
Zero Mission= Bastardized Version of The first Metroid, don't care, never will. Just a crappy remake of a classic.
Fail. Zero Mission is the one game in the entire series that comes the closest to emulating Super Metroid. And, it may be hard to accept this, but the original Metroid hasn't actually aged very well, and Zero Mission was superior in pretty much every possible way.
Fusion= Bastardized Version of Super Metroid, which is a watered down version of the first game. Don't care never will. It isn't even a real Metroid game.
Okay, now, not only are you just trolling me, but you're doing a bad job of it and making it too obvious. When someone calls Super Metroid a watered down original Metroid, you know they're full of shit.
I'm just baffled how a third Party developer can do the game series justice, but the original creator can't.
Retro isn't 3rd party.

droppingpenny

Feb 27, 2010
Gizen said:
Fail. Zero Mission is the one game in the entire series that comes the closest to emulating Super Metroid. And, it may be hard to accept this, but the original Metroid hasn't actually aged very well, and Zero Mission was superior in pretty much every possible way.
It wasn't, it just had many unnecessary changes, the original plays much better and is more challenging, while Zero Mission is too easy.

Gizen said:
Okay, now, not only are you just trolling me, but you're doing a bad job of it and making it too obvious. When someone calls Super Metroid a watered down original Metroid, you know they're full of shit.
Super Metroid is not nearly as challenging as the Original, and it has roughly as much content as the Original. Therefore it is the watered down Original. Try to play the Original I am sure you will die a lot of times, since you are used to Super Metroid.

Gizen said:
Retro isn't 3rd party.
Retro Studios was an independent developer when Metroid Prime was created and therefore Third Party.

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
droppingpenny said:
It wasn't, it just had many unnecessary changes, the original plays much better and is more challenging, while Zero Mission is too easy.
The original's difficulty comes from the fact that the vast majority of the enemies were ridiculously cheap, being able to hit and kill you through the wall while you're changing screens and can't move, as well as the fact that they can chew through your health in seconds while the grind to recover health takes ages. On top of all that, any time you start or continue the game, your health starts at a fraction of it's total, even at the very beginning of the game, which means the first thing you have to do is grind for health. These may all make the game more 'challenging' but in a deeply negative way that is in no way good. It's possible to make a game hard without stupid shit like that.
Also, Zero Mission on hard is capable of wrecking you pretty fast.

Super Metroid is not nearly as challenging as the Original, and it has roughly as much content as the Original. Therefore it is the watered down Original. Try to play the Original I am sure you will die a lot of times, since you are used to Super Metroid.
I've played every Metroid game, original include. I'm aware of it's difficulty. That said, challenge and challenge alone does not make a game superior, especially when the challenge is a result of bullshit reasons. Furthermore, Super Metroid had considerably more content than the original Metroid. For that matter, so did Zero Mission.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
Adules said:
I joined this site just so I could talk about Other M. For the most part I agree with the review, but i have to say that this is the most terrible metroid game to come out so far, rivaling only Metroid Prime Hunters.

The combat is solid, for the most part, except it honestly feels better suited for something like a Mega Man game, rather than a Metroid game. The constant high intensity, fast paced combat would be fine, except the game sacrifices atmosphere and exploration at the same time, making it feel more like a quick paced action title, than an actionadventure/puzzle title. In previous games, especially Prime, you could stop and breath in the beautiful environments. A combination of beautiful map designs, music, and graphical effects would either build incredible environments, or create intense suspense. But in Other M, we have linear, uninteresting, tedious level designs, which are just generic and boring. But of course, worse than anything, is the absolutely terrible plot. I disagree with the review on the point that it gets better, because for me, it was consistently horrible. I am against the idea of fleshing out Samus's personality, as I prefer the games to be mysterious with minimum dialogue (like a solo journeys through beautiful and hostile scifi worlds). So, yeah I am against the concept to begin with, but this character is just plain awful. It's horrendous. She is not bad ass in the slightest, her "introspective depth" is shallow and obnoxious, and she is completely submissive. The story is riddled with cliches, characters are terrible, writing is bottom tier, and worst of all, there is zero subtlety. So, in my opinion, this game sucks in almost every way. Don't buy it, because not only is it a waste of money, it supports the idea that this game is a good idea. If they make a lot of money on this piece of shit, then they might be convinced to continue the franchise in this direction.
So it's basically the DMC2 or the Matrix Revolutions of the series. Just smile and pretend it never happened.

cefm

Mar 26, 2010
As hard as it was to accept that somehow Samus "lost" all her cool powers between each sequel, it's fucking apalling that Nintendo thought they could make us buy that she HAS them but meekly declines to use them until her boyfriend says it's OK. This is worse than making Greedo shoot first.

Goddammit Nintendo - is there no franchise you can't ruin with your creepy/wierd Japanese cultural miscues?

droppingpenny

Feb 27, 2010
Gizen said:
I just can't help and feel that the Original felt more tightly designed than the sequel and the remake, that's why I felt Super Metroid was watered down, despite more content, it felt shorter and less rewarding. Grinding for health was an issue I didn't like either, but the eneys were stronger and you were actually afraid to face them with low health unlike in Super.

Tomo Stryker

Aug 20, 2010
Alright let me just clarify that MOM has been given two out of five stars on G4TV. Gamespot gave it 8.5 out of 10, and this review on The Escapist has given it a (my interpretation) 6 out of 10.

Now that all of the guff is out of the way let me first say that I have most of the Metroid games save for Fusion. Now each fanboy or Metroid Series fan that I know personally would be revolted by this game and they were. I think the change of camera view is experimental but I personally don't like any unreliable and random camera view if I'm trying to concentrate on a target. This whole deal of Adam being a "parental" figure is interesting but if we are considering all of the games cannon then lets be frank, Samus doesn't take shit from ANYONE! Now I can see why she would want to respect a figure she sees as being "important" in her life, but were talking about limiting yourself just to follow orders from an organization you gave the finger, I don't know about you but that doesn't sound like anyone or anything I know.

Now this whole discussion about the feminizing of Samus into a frilly, diary reading, girly person needs to be put into perspective. Japanese or Asian culture in general is very patriarchal, (no racism just stating facts) and the game is created by none other than Japanese men. This and the combined years of experience of playing JRPG's, any person would realize that in many of the Japanese created games women are either princess's who are shy and have a thing for anyone or hardcore evil women who have a limb or eye missing and want to rule the galaxy. That said I think I need to go get my anti fire pancho because I feel the heat of flamers already starting.

EDIT: I just wanted to add this Link to G4TV's review of MOM http://g4tv.com/videos/48319/Metroid-Other-M-Review/

There is a flaw with the Japanese culture stereotype. This is the same culture that produced Kino's Journey and Claymore. There are many other examples of female protagonists that are capable, independent warriors that also have compassion. Why did they drop the ball on this story?

Nateman742

Jul 21, 2009
Ok, this thread has gone on for 6 pages, so I'm sure I missed something, but I've got to say I can't in good faith buy this game. I refuse to play it, even if it is fun, because it's so off-base from everything Metroid. Heck, even when all we had at E3 were action scenes all I saw was Samus doing backyard wrestling with space pirates. Ugh.

Just because the story of the original games leaves a lot of wiggle room doesn't mean you get to do whatever you want with it. I won't go into the blatant sexualization because that's been done a million times before, but the fact is that Samus does not come off in any way as a subservient character.

I've made this comparison before: It's as if they put Link in a skintight one-piece leotard, made him Princess Zelda's lapdog, and gave him a voice that only whined or asked to be rescued. It's just not done, and it's a slap in the face of longtime fans.

jettyasd

Sep 18, 2010
I was born six days after the original Metroid. I've always loved the series, but today i'll state this. I'm officially ashamed to be a fan of Metroid, because if i'm lumped in the same category as my peers, than that's just an insult. here's the problem, first, since every Metroid game, the sequel is crapped on. unless it comes out brand new for a next gen console, i hear similar idiocy everytime. when n64 sold out Metroid for Zelda, everyone praised Prime because of eight years since a console Metroid. ya'll whine, then Echoes tanks according to sales. the next gen Wii starts with Corruption high, now Trilogy and Other M get this same treatment. if ya'll are still waiting for the next Super Metroid, wake up because it will never happen. all technology will never surpass your expectations, and Other M is by far the closest to Super. I've heard for years we want story! then Nintendo finally gives story, now I hear Other M sucks. Samus is an orphan seeking daddy's approval, she's not the ditzy homecoming queen that'll give you a hummer after prom. play tomb raider if you want that kinda bullsh*t. the woman shows emotion for the first time and ya'll whine because her feelings ruined your zerosuit fantasies. how can someone who loved the old school Metroid really complain about the controls which were superb. the graphics were the greatest for a Wii game, that even compete with PS3 and 360. there is nothing wrong with the voice of Samus either. watch a flick, then compare this to bad voice acting. read the manga, this is her personality. the only flaw with Other M is it's short. but that's fine, keep on being critical everybody, because i have yet to play a bad Metroid game and the Wii outsells other systems because Nintendo has a decent idea how to make games. have a great day.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
This article sums up pretty much how I feel about this game. [http://www.destructoid.com/metroid-other-m-s-story-fails-on-so-many-levels-183310.phtml] I don't care if she was 'like that in the Manga' as several people have said, two wrongs don't make a right. I understand people didn't want Samus to be the kind of independent woman who has zero emotion whatsoever, and I'm glad they didn't pander to that stereotype, but they took it way too far. The scenes where Samus has to kill Ghor and Gandrayda in Metroid Prime 3 characterised her so much better than Other M - she is still shown to have emotion, but is still a strong character.

I went back and competed Metroid Prime again to make myself feel better. Did Hard mode in 6 hours, 100% Items, 100% Scans, remembered them all of the top of my head. Quite proud of myself to be honest.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
heamrh said:
HA HA "Nintendo has tried to do something different and bring a human edge, damn them for thinking of the gamers, they should have just done the same thing only different" the reviewers on this site suck
That is just plain rude. Just because you don't agree with what they say does not give you the right to insult them. Plus, insulting the staff is a bad thing to do because it can get you into loads of trouble with the moderators.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
"defined by anonymity"
I am so going to quote that out of context

all the escapist reviews sound so stiff and unnatural
even the little jokes that get thrown in sound forced and robotic

jettyasd

Sep 18, 2010
D) nintendo pushed it back two months? those pricks!!
other m is a great game, there are fans that enjoyed it and were exited waiting for it.

jettyasd

Sep 18, 2010
in 1986 you can play as samus in a swimsuit. don't listen, then copy g4. funny how she never said sexist when a male with a six pack runs on the screen. be fair if youre gonna be critical. g4 gave re5 a 3 also, the have terrible reviews.

jettyasd

Sep 18, 2010
i dont care about her review but her saying sexist?
YOU CAN PLAY THE ORIGINAL METROID IN A FUCKING BIKINI
ithats what people are bitching about.