Review: Pokémon Black & White Versions

Vet2501

Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger
Nov 9, 2009
My copy of White was supposed to arrive today, but no luck. Bloody Royal Mail! Unfortunately my wireless router isn't compatible with Nintendo WiFi, nor are any WiFi hotspots nearby (the ones that were supposed to have been set-up with Nintendo), so no Victini for me.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Irridium said:
Does this game's online features still require a WEP connection? Because I'm sick of not being able to go online in SoulSilver because I have a WPA connection.
You could just..turn off your WPA until you're done. It takes all of 5 seconds.
Death_Korps_Kommissar said:
The one problem with pokemon games.
It's the same game over and over!
But I love em =D
It's not the same game over and over. http://ds.ign.com/articles/114/1143427p1.html

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Nice review, but you forgot one important aspect, Which is better, Black or White??

Hyper-space said:
[HEADING=1]TMs can be used infinitely[/HEADING]
Back.The.Fuck.Off.

Nothing will be the same.
This cannot be true. I call fake.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
GeorgW said:
Nice review, but you forgot one important aspect, Which is better, Black or White??

Hyper-space said:
Back.The.Fuck.Off.

It's true. Not fake at all.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
*Reactions while reading*
Slightly better story. That's cool.
Improved battle cinematics. Meh. That's nice.
TMs used infinitely. I knew it beforehand. I had a nice little "yay!"

Overall what I was expecting, and I'm looking forward to...
...huh? What's this?

[HEADING=1]They got rid of the annoying beeping when you get low on health?
HALLE-FUCKIN'-LUJAH!!![/HEADING]

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
Eri said:
Irridium said:
Does this game's online features still require a WEP connection? Because I'm sick of not being able to go online in SoulSilver because I have a WPA connection.
But I love em =D
It's not the same game over and over. http://ds.ign.com/articles/114/1143427p1.html
Thanks for posting the article. I was looking for something interesting to read.

Apr 28, 2008
Eri said:
Irridium said:
WPA is the only way I can connect to the internet. So if I shut it off, I won't be able to connect to the DS network. One of the many problems with my current internet situation.

The only other option I have is to re-do my connection settings and all that and get a new WEP connection going, but thats a massive pain in the ass and there's no way I'm going to do that just to play pokemon online.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Eri said:
GeorgW said:

Hyper-space said:
Back.The.Fuck.Off.

But that defeats their entire purpose! Why would they do that??

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
but...

DOES IT HAVE SQUIRTLE!?

in any case... I'll give it a try

ON TO NO$GBA

[sub]lol not really, getting my damn own DS next week ^-^[/sub]

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
GeorgW said:
Eri said:
GeorgW said:

Hyper-space said:
Back.The.Fuck.Off.

But that defeats their entire purpose! Why would they do that??
Because one use makes them half useless. As it stood, You couldn't use ANY TMs until end game when you were sure they wouldn't be replaced by some better move or better pokemon entirely. And that was just if you were smart, if you werent that "poke-smart" you wasted the TMs and never got any real use out of them. Not being able to use any of the TMs you get until the very end of the game was just no fun, why bother giving them out so early and often if you can't even use them? So that's why they are now unlimited.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Been playing all day (minus my power nap).
The UI change and battle camera change was a shock to the system but it was an improvement.
It's just a shame they didn't keep the "you #1 pokemon in your party following you" thing they had in Soulsiler and Heartgold. Sure it added nothing to the gameplay but I added some sort of immersion. Made your Pokemon feel more physical instead of Phantasmal objects you conjured from orbs when you fight.

I do like how there seems to be a stronger plot line. The enemy team is woven much more heavily into your adventure. Think Arthas in WOTLK. You can't move more than 5m without seeing team plasma being evil (gross exhaderation).

Currently 4/8, so yeah, burning through it. I'm not trying to burn through, I'm just efficient.

Tripple battles are wierd and quite brutal. My team of 3 level 30s almost got destroyed by a team of 25s. I had to use items. I think the difficulty is just right in this game.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Does this game really involve more grinding than normal, or am I the only one who made a point to beat up every trainer while on my way to the next big battle? This does sound like fun, so it's too bad I sold my DS and will have to wait for a 3DS to play.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
N.1 Ninja Of 2010 said:
Koroviev said:
Eri said:
But I love em =D
Thanks for posting the article. I was looking for something interesting to read.
Even though you can't spell ignorance without RAN.
I don't quite follow.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Mr. Omega said:

...huh? What's this?

Technically they didn't get RID of it, they just worked it into the music so it's not nearly as irritating.

SketchyFK said:
in his review he states:
---- "You won't see a single Pikachu until well after you've beaten the game,"

would i get in trouble from The Escapist for saying that he's WRONG? There are actually 2 Pickachu in the game before u complete it, neither u can battle, but one is on a poster and another in Castelia City.

In game reference: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:Castelia_Pikachu.png

Please don't hit me Escapist! ='(

Otherwise I LOVE the new game. I can't believe there are so many Pokemon I actually LIKE. For once a game where I like most of the Fire Pokemon.

On a side note his "one yearns for the functionality of the Poketch from Diamond & Pearl" is something I really, REALLY, couldn't agree with more.
And they call the bridge to Driftveil "Charizard Bridge." You still don't see one in the game as playable :p

PurplePlatypus

Duel shield wielder
Jul 8, 2010
Pokemon Black version is my first Pokemon game at age 20. Where have you been all my life?
Oh that?s right, like a fool I thought I didn?t much like turn based combat. Which didn?t much when I was really young; and then it went and changed without informing me. How rude.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Mr. Omega said:

...huh? What's this?

They even made it into an awesome dance mix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-EANWNU3qo

Yeah, it's not much different, but moving forward is moving forward.

Edit: Oh bother, someone beat me to the punch. And now I have no punch.

Supp

Nov 17, 2009
arc1991 said:
Fr said:
anc[is]Ok so who's the new zubat?

Meet Woobat, the new Zubat...but less annoying and cute =3

OT: Got this game today, and my liberty pass ^_^ love it!
On the downside, does not evolve into a useful pokemon :(