Review: Pokémon Black & White Versions

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
So there's an actual story to this?

Like anyone actually plays the game for the story, but I'm now curious to see how that works out.
I highly doubt there's a story. While Gamefreak put a twist on the evil organization by making them an animal (pokémon) rights organization, Team Plasma will most certainly be demonized in the same way as team rocket was.

Well, I'm actually interested in this game now, but I'm going to wait until it drops in price.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
ultrachicken said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Like anyone actually plays the game for the story, but I'm now curious to see how that works out.
I highly doubt there's a story. While Gamefreak put a twist on the evil organization by making them an animal (pokémon) rights organization, Team Plasma will most certainly be demonized in the same way as team rocket was.

Well, I'm actually interested in this game now, but I'm going to wait until it drops in price.
Oh I'm sure that's what they are going to do, but I'm just curious to how that group is going to do it, maybe something original perhaps? Most likely it will have to deal with a legendary pokemon, it gets woken up, gets pissed, and you have to clean up their mess. Again.

I couldn't careless about the story, just how gym and League battles are going to go.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
ultrachicken said:
Drops in price? Popular ds games, never drop in price, diamond is still $35, as is mario kart and that was a launch title, If your going to wait be prepared to wait until the next version of the series comes out. I for one want it as soon as possible so I can play it while everyone else in college is.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
ultrachicken said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Pokemon games generally don't depreciate too much.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I turned my DSi off about half an hour ago and realised I had been playing it since I got home at 15:00. Today has been a good day:)

Eggbert

Jun 9, 2010
You monsters. I thought I had moved on. Finished with the series. Quit. Reformed. Left at Gen. 3, and wasn't looking back. Beat Emerald, never got a DS. And now you're making it sound appealing. More appealing. Gah.

RandallJohn

Aug 21, 2010
John Funk said:
Review: Pokémon Black & White Versions

Another evolution.

Read Full Article
Which version did you play, and what did you think of the version-exclusive locations? That's what I'm most curious about, I think.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Wait, is it already out? I'm coming off the flu, and have been thoroughly dosed with meds...If I lost track of the time, I'm going to kick myself.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
DarkRyter said:
Mr. Omega said:
*Reactions while reading*
Slightly better story. That's cool.
Improved battle cinematics. Meh. That's nice.
TMs used infinitely. I knew it beforehand. I had a nice little "yay!"

Overall what I was expecting, and I'm looking forward to...
...huh? What's this?

[HEADING=1]They got rid of the annoying beeping when you get low on health?
HALLE-FUCKIN'-LUJAH!!![/HEADING]
They even made it into an awesome dance mix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-EANWNU3qo

Yeah, it's not much different, but moving forward is moving forward.

Edit: Oh bother, someone beat me to the punch. And now I have no punch.
Oh, really? Thank the Goddess...That noise was SO annoying. Thanks for the link!

The Furbinator

Jul 12, 2010
Disaster Button said:
My copy of Black was supposed to come today, but it got delayed until tomorrow... But a bunch of my friends are getting Black and White so its gonna be great once we all have it.

Irridium said:
Does this game's online features still require a WEP connection? Because I'm sick of not being able to go online in SoulSilver because I have a WPA connection.
God me too. I wasted an entire day trying to fix my DS to accept my WPA connection so I could get one of the shiny Legendary Dogs. I only noticed that once I'd wasted terribly unfair amount of time that I needed a WEP connection.

"Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version are Nintendo DSi enhanced titles so they will be able to connect to both a WEP and WPA wireless internet connection when played on a Nintendo DSi, Nintendo DSi XL or Nintendo 3DS."

Hope that helps! Unless you have a DSLite.. :S

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
The Furbinator said:
Disaster Button said:
My copy of Black was supposed to come today, but it got delayed until tomorrow... But a bunch of my friends are getting Black and White so its gonna be great once we all have it.

Irridium said:
Does this game's online features still require a WEP connection? Because I'm sick of not being able to go online in SoulSilver because I have a WPA connection.
God me too. I wasted an entire day trying to fix my DS to accept my WPA connection so I could get one of the shiny Legendary Dogs. I only noticed that once I'd wasted terribly unfair amount of time that I needed a WEP connection.

"Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version are Nintendo DSi enhanced titles so they will be able to connect to both a WEP and WPA wireless internet connection when played on a Nintendo DSi, Nintendo DSi XL or Nintendo 3DS."

Hope that helps! Unless you have a DSLite.. :S
Yes, this is excellent news! I have a DSi XL, finally I can know the joys of online Pokemon.

00DUMB

Apr 4, 2010
Echo136 said:
I just need to decide what starter I want. Either grass or fire.
Ooh, I can be helpful!

The grass starter is more defense oriented, having lack-luster offence stats. However, it's dream world ability makes it god-like, as it makes any stat changes on him opposite. This means Leaf Storm INCREASES his special attack every time you use it, and when opponents try to weaken you, you only get stronger.

But, since you cannot get that ability from your starter, I would go with Tepig. That's what I'm doing, at least.

[/nerd]

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
The villainous team is actually a fanatical animal-rights organization who believes trainers who use Pokémon are mistreating them and that the monsters must be liberated from the humans who enslave them.
Well, I bet they look all kinds of stupid when every last one of them tries to pull one of these on the player character: http://www.brawlinthefamily.com/?p=212

The battles themselves are also much faster than in generations past. Attacks that hit multiple targets do damage to all of them simultaneously, and said damage is dealt instantaneously - there's no more waiting for a health bar to slowly diminish. If that sounds like a minor change, it is, but it's also a change that hugely improves the pace of combat. Another minor change that ends up feeling like a godsend is that the developers have removed the irritating "critical health" noise that popped up whenever your Pokémon was close to defeat, and instead have replaced it with an urgent remix of the battle theme that gets your heart pounding but prevents your ears from bleeding.
Everything in this paragraph has made me so happy. :)

DarkRyter said:
They even made it into an awesome dance mix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-EANWNU3qo

Yeah, it's not much different, but moving forward is moving forward.

Edit: Oh bother, someone beat me to the punch. And now I have no punch.
...Oh. Now I'm not so happy. It's still beeping at me, and it's still annoying. Now I am very disappointed.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
I listened to the low health music and the beeping is still there and still really damn annoying.

Still going to pick it up tomorrow though.

Tomo Stryker

Aug 20, 2010
Hyper-space said:
[HEADING=1]TMs can be used infinitely[/HEADING]
Back.The.Fuck.Off.

Nothing will be the same.
My exact reaction, but really I'm still waiting for an adult version were you aren't a moronic nine year old. Hell mix the Fallout RPG with the ability to do battle from Pokemon and you got a winner. Might take a couple of years to make but if they want to move into a new crowd then that would be awesome.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Tomo Stryker said:
Hyper-space said:
Back.The.Fuck.Off.

My exact reaction, but really I'm still waiting for an adult version were you aren't a moronic nine year old. Hell mix the Fallout RPG with the ability to do battle from Pokemon and you got a winner. Might take a couple of years to make but if they want to move into a new crowd then that would be awesome.
You're at least a teenager in this one. Baby steps.

Tomo Stryker

Aug 20, 2010
John Funk said:
Tomo Stryker said:
Hyper-space said:
[HEADING=1]Snip
You're at least a teenager in this one. Baby steps.
Ya but still, I'm just just saying that if they actually move it into reality then I will be the first to preorder. I don't really care for Pokemon, every once and a while I might pull up my old emulator on my PC, but I will go bat shit crazy for something like that.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
Eri said:
GeorgW said:
Eri said:
GeorgW said:
Nice review, but you forgot one important aspect, Which is better, Black or White??

Hyper-space said:
Back.The.Fuck.Off.

This cannot be true. I call fake.
It's true. Not fake at all.
But that defeats their entire purpose! Why would they do that??
Because one use makes them half useless. As it stood, You couldn't use ANY TMs until end game when you were sure they wouldn't be replaced by some better move or better pokemon entirely. And that was just if you were smart, if you werent that "poke-smart" you wasted the TMs and never got any real use out of them. Not being able to use any of the TMs you get until the very end of the game was just no fun, why bother giving them out so early and often if you can't even use them? So that's why they are now unlimited.
True fact. I'm a freaking micromanager when it came to planning my pokemon's moves. And even then I would shy away from using my TMs because you just never knew when you might wish you had them later. The only TM I used with 100% certainty was using the Dream Eater TM on my Drowzee/Hypno. I did that one every damn time.