Review: Sonic Adventure XBLA

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
arc1991 said:
slutmonkey8 said:
arc1991 said:
What's the sonic game where on the first mission your using a bit of a plane as a sort of, surf board?

That was my favourite sonic game, i think it was the first to have Shadow the Hedgehog in it...

i want that on XBL :(
That may have been Sonic Adventure 2. That scene sounds familiar and it definitely had Shadow in it.
All i can remember is sonic had been framed, for something shadow had done =S but i didnt know cause i never finished it.
Yeah you're talking about Sonic Adventure 2. I have fond memories of City Escape, although part of me is worried that I can remember the names of the levels.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
GamesB2 said:
I have bought every Sonic game released on the XBLA... and I will continue to do so.

I love Sonic, and replaying his glory days reminds me why I love him.

It's not without the expected 3D problems of camera angle and moving a bit too fast... but it's easily one of the best 3D Sonics made.

I hope to see Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic CD ported soon!

And maybe some Sonic R for good measure.
Sonic Adventure 2 was awesome! I think that's my favourite Sonic game, though that might be partially because of the multiplayer part in it which I honestly loved. I have been hoping that they would release SA2 ever since I heard they were going to release this one.

I also loved this game so I might buy it as soon as I get my xbox back, though I don't have much time for gaming these days... I miss the 90's when things weren't so complicated, Sonic should take my mind off that for a few hours I guess...

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
You know, I always kind of liked Big the Cat. Yeah, I know, he's a dreadful character, I'm not going to pretend he isn't, but there was something about his patheticness that I found oddly endearing. That and his affection for Froggy.

Also, Sonic Adventure 2 sucked canal water. Sonic Adventure started the "let's chuck extraneous characters in here" trend, but SA2 really ran with it. Rouge the Bat, people. That's all I'm saying. (Not as bad as Charmy Fucking Bee, but still pretty damn dreadful.)
Charmy's a pretty old character though, I just loved how they deaged him from 18 to 6 between games. My favorite Chaotix members had always been Mighty (who is old as hell even by Sonic standards) and Ray (again, Old as hell)

Hell the Chaotix was bearable back then because A. They were Knuckles boys and not Sonics, so they didn't directly interact with the blue hedgehog and B. They were like the Wreckers from Transformers. Just a group of guys from different walks of life who had one job, arrive, kick ass, leave.

Seriously the 'Reinvention' of the Chaotix was one of the worst things, Not JUST because they cut the membership down to the three most annoying characters, but because they really tried to give them a personality. Far be it from me to actually praise the Archie comics but they got it down pretty quick "Dudes who live on Angel Island like to beat up evil robots occasionally with a red Echidna" everything beyond that was your imagination.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
UtopiaV1 said:
Wow Russ, you sound drunk. Was the game really that bad?
I personally would have to be drunk to find this games merits so... I wouldn't be all that shocked.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Truly-A-Lie said:
arc1991 said:
slutmonkey8 said:
arc1991 said:
What's the sonic game where on the first mission your using a bit of a plane as a sort of, surf board?

That was my favourite sonic game, i think it was the first to have Shadow the Hedgehog in it...

That may have been Sonic Adventure 2. That scene sounds familiar and it definitely had Shadow in it.
All i can remember is sonic had been framed, for something shadow had done =S but i didnt know cause i never finished it.
Yeah you're talking about Sonic Adventure 2. I have fond memories of City Escape, although part of me is worried that I can remember the names of the levels.
Yey! thank you =D

If that comes on XBLA then i will love Sega and Microsoft forever!

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
I hope there's no risk in saying: "Hey, it's typical professional reviewer standard to acknowledge a game exists on...well...another console"....Like say, PSN...

I'm skipping out on this game myself due to the fact I'm really waiting for SA2. The Sonic and Shadow levels were the true gems of last gen's platforming games. Platforming SA1 pales to compete with.

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
arc1991 said:
Truly-A-Lie said:
arc1991 said:
slutmonkey8 said:
arc1991 said:

Yey! thank you =D

If that comes on XBLA then i will love Sega and Microsoft forever!
City Escape
Radical Highway
Metal Harbor
White Jungle
Green Forest

and so many more amazing levels from the two characters. *Ignoring the fact the...other characters existed*

Datacide

Apr 6, 2010
I never understand all the Heroes hatred. I have been playing tons of SA, SA2, and Heroes on the Gamecube again with my three year old son who has just started gaming. I thought when I played it originally and think it again now...Heroes is the best of the last-gen 3D Sonic games. It works extremely well...has great level design and is nice and fast and the camera works very well. I like the other 3D Sonics well enough...but I think the formula of Heroes should really have been taken as the basis for the future 3D Sonic games.

In truth though...I am extremely happy they are going back to 2D gameplay. The GBA and DS games were pretty good and of course the original 2D games were the best (CD being my favourite). I actually quite liked Choatix too...but you just can't play that game single player.

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
*pokes head out of corner* Already have it for the Dreamcast. *slinks back to corner*

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Sonic Adventure 2 is where its at. The soundtrack is incredible alone so hopefully they port SA2.

Upon hearing the voice acting though, its terrible except for Robotnik.

Metzeten

Oct 16, 2009
Just have to say, I love the tone of voice in the video supplement...

Made me giggle, really sort of hit home that you didn't really know why you were playing the game..

Dimbo_Sama

Mar 20, 2009
I will say this... How is this different to any other re-release from Sega? They didn't update anything on the Mega Drive Collection, or any of the Sonic Collections on the last generation of consoles.

Yeah, compared to the 3D action games today, Sonic Adventure is lackluster, but if you're buying a game from 1999 you should be aware of what you're getting into, besides it's still FUN. Shouldn't that be enough?

'more money than time' is kind of an insult, both to people who haven't tried the game and to die-hard Sonic fans. I still enjoy it, and it's certainly more value for money than buying a 50 pound current gen game, with a single player mode that you can beat in a weekend.

EDIT: Also, John St. John played Big the Cat. That's right, Big the Cat is actually fucking Duke Nukem in disguse.

SW15243

Jul 15, 2009
Good game or not, you owe it to yourself (not to mention your viewership) to manage a higher standard in a video than this, Russ. Goddamn, that was awful.

ironlordthemad

Sep 25, 2009
Why so sad Russ?
I have never seen someone so down reviewing a game, it's like your tone was a mixture of "meh" and dissapointment.

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
This was a very apathetic review and it was funny because all I can do is picture the escapist staff drawing straws to decide who gets stuck doing this.

Ursus Astrorum

Mar 20, 2008
I know the quality of the voicework on this supplement has already been brought up several times, but... Wow, seriously?

I've acted more enthusiastic when I was sick, tired, and in the middle of a nasty breakup. And I was a teenager at the time.

If this is what counts as professionalism on this site, I'd hate to see what doesn't.