Review: Sonic Adventure XBLA

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Geez. You could really tell that you were not excited to review this old game. I fully understand. It's kinda sicking to play the same game we've played 20 times over and ry and make a new and fresh.
Good job =D

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
You made one major oversight in your review- you commented that Sonic Adventure seems to be the same game that Sonic Team have been remaking ever since 1999, but you missed one major point: Sonice Adventure DOESN'T SUCK LITTLE BLUE BALLS. That alone justifies buying it for anyone too young to remember a time when Sonic the Hedgehog wasn't just an industry joke.

Some people think that Sonic Adventure 2 was even better, while others think it marked the start of the rot for Sonic by focussing too much on characters other than Sonic (and ESPECIALLY Shadow). I dunno, never played Adventure 2 myself.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
wooty said:
Only seeing xbl plastered everywhere, any news on a PSN release of this?
Actually the game is on PSN as well and I'm sure the rest of the Dreamcast revivals will be too

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
I think this should be redone. This time by someone who can at least put some thought and emotion into their voice. It might be an average game, but it doesn't mean you should just not care any more.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Nerdfury said:
I think this should be redone. This time by someone who can at least put some thought and emotion into their voice. It might be an average game, but it doesn't mean you should just not care any more.
It should be left the way it is for the most part but yes I agree the audio could at least be sinked to the mouth movements if possible.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Did this really need a review?

I'm serious, I just watched half a video supplement where someone criticized a game that's over a decade old for not being good enough when held up against modern counterparts....

Anyone else seeing a lapse in logic here?

Also, saying that 'buying it for nostalgia sake' is a downpoint for a game that will likely only be bought (And likely was only re-released) for nostalgia sake?

Again, anyone seeing it?

It's an old game, we shouldn't be expecting it to live up to any standards besides those it set a decade ago...

gphjr14 said:
Nerdfury said:
It should be left the way it is for the most part but yes I agree the audio could at least be sinked to the mouth movements if possible.
Also, I think he was talking about the review not the game...

LastMondaysHangover

Oct 4, 2010
This is the only 3D Sonic Game in which I actually enjoyed. I think my faith in Team Sonic died when they released Shadow the Hedgehog. Oh how the might have fallen

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
Archemetis said:
Did this really need a review?

I'm serious, I just watched half a video supplement where someone criticized a game that's over a decade old for not being good enough when held up against modern counterparts....

Anyone else seeing a lapse in logic here?

Also, saying that 'buying it for nostalgia sake' is a downpoint for a game that will likely only be bought (And likely was only re-released) for nostalgia sake?

Again, anyone seeing it?

It's an old game, we shouldn't be expecting it to live up to any standards besides those it set a decade ago...

gphjr14 said:
Nerdfury said:
Also, I think he was talking about the review not the game...
Yeah, I was confused there for a moment. Bad voice acting in a game is shitty, but considering I'm paying The Escapist for high quality movies, you'd think they'd at least put some effort into reviews of games they don't like.

little bear

Nov 1, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
You know, I always kind of liked Big the Cat. Yeah, I know, he's a dreadful character, I'm not going to pretend he isn't, but there was something about his patheticness that I found oddly endearing. That and his affection for Froggy.

Also, Sonic Adventure 2 sucked canal water. Sonic Adventure started the "let's chuck extraneous characters in here" trend, but SA2 really ran with it. Rouge the Bat, people. That's all I'm saying. (Not as bad as Charmy Fucking Bee, but still pretty damn dreadful.)
Totally agree. I'd rather see all the other neon woodland creatures of the sonic universe in the comic books. It's nice to expand on an already diverse world but i think the general public will have a mixed opinion on some other sonic characters showing up as playable
...like sally acorn *shudder*

But yea, I brought this from psn recently.
12$ U.S is a small price to relive childhood memories. = )

AceMcBadass

Jan 1, 2010
lol. this is a bit ironic. i actually pulled out my old Sega Sports Dreamcast to play Sonic a few days ago. i didnt like it as much as 2 and 3 for the Genesis, but its still fun nevertheless.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Yeah guys, if it sounds like somebody propped a mic in front of me while I was playing this game for the video recording in the same room where we keep one of our servers and a refrigerator ... that's probably because that's exactly what happened. Sorry.

I wasn't feeling well, so I asked Slycne to drag the audio stuff into our video capture room and do it all in one shot. Apologies to anyone who was deeply offended by this cut corner. If it makes you feel any better, the video supplement would have been way more sarcastic if I'd written it out ahead of time, like we usually do.

As for people offended by the negative marks I gave this one in the written review ... I got nothing for ya.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Kuchinawa212 said:
Geez. You could really tell that you were not excited to review this old game.
Actually, I requested this one. Being the boss, I generally don't get "forced" to review games I don't want to play ;)

I loved this game when I first played it in 2000, but playing it again last week was kind of a downer for the reasons I've specified in the review.

And as I mentioned in the post above, I wasn't feeling well the day we recorded the video, which is why it sounds like ... I'm ... not ... feeling well ... Sorry.

Paulrus_Keaton

Apr 23, 2009
I played the Gamecube version of this one: didn't like it. The bad dubbing just rubbed me the wrong way.

Also, I played Sonic Adventure 2: Battle first. That one, for me, is the superior of all teh recent Sonic 3D platformers that came out of the last decade.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Russ Pitts said:
Kuchinawa212 said:
Geez. You could really tell that you were not excited to review this old game.
Actually, I requested this one. Being the boss, I generally don't get "forced" to review games I don't want to play ;)

I loved this game when I first played it in 2000, but playing it again last week was kind of a downer for the reasons I've specified in the review.

And as I mentioned in the post above, I wasn't feeling well the day we recorded the video, which is why it sounds like ... I'm ... not ... feeling well ... Sorry.
Aww you not feeling so well? Sorry, I guess I jumped to conclusions. I hope you feel better =D

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
You know, I always kind of liked Big the Cat. Yeah, I know, he's a dreadful character, I'm not going to pretend he isn't, but there was something about his patheticness that I found oddly endearing. That and his affection for Froggy.

Also, Sonic Adventure 2 sucked canal water. Sonic Adventure started the "let's chuck extraneous characters in here" trend, but SA2 really ran with it. Rouge the Bat, people. That's all I'm saying. (Not as bad as Charmy Fucking Bee, but still pretty damn dreadful.)
Ironically Big was voiced by John st. John (The legendary voice of Duke Nukem), too bad they didn't take advantage of his talent. Think of how cool Big would have been if had told Froggy to "blow it out your ass".

(Also, I will only ever say 2 nice things about SA2, the Sonic gameplay was much better than SA1 and the Chao mini games were like crack cocaine back when I was 10)

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
I remember when my family got the Dreamcast we truly spent hours playing this game as well as Jet Set Radio and my personal favorites Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage. The Dreamcast now sits somewhere with an un-repairable disc spinner and I've got the games still. I can't wait to purchase and replay this game. I hope they port other Sonic Games cuz I haven't played much of Sonic games then I tried Sonic and The Secret Rings...I hope they fix it when it's ported and I also hope they port Jet Set Radio, Sword of The Berserk, Rival Schools, and Project Justice.

TWRule

Dec 3, 2010
Call me biased by nostalgia, but I think people give the Sonic franchise less than a fair shake. Sure the voice-acting is cheesy in these 3D games, but it's still completely possible to enjoy the game in spite of that.

I'm accustomed to negative reviews of Sonic games, but the tone of voice of the reviewer for this one was just grating and unprofessional. A little less groaning and more actual reviewing of the game's strengths and weaknesses please.

I got a kick out of Yahtzee's review of Sonic Unleashed even though he was extremely negative about the franchise. At least he expressed specifically why such-and-such was good or bad and made it interesting to listen to.