Review: Sonic Unleashed

Watershed

Dec 10, 2007
I recently picked up the PS2 version of the game, mainly because it was cheap and I like to waste money. Imagine my surprise when I played the first sonic level and enjoyed myself. It was like old school sonic, but 3D/2.5D and I was happy. Shocked, but happy, as I'd given up on Sonic long ago.

Then the werehog came along and ruined everything. It doesn't seem to matter whether I mash square, circle or triangle, I just win fights automatically. And like most people have said, the story is awful and it takes far to long to get to the next sonic level. Apparently, there is roughly the same amount of day and night levels, but the werehog is so slow that its levels seem twice as long. Remove the story, the werehog and the town hub bits and it'd probably be a worthwhile game... As it stands, I agree with the review.

the jellyman

Jul 24, 2008
from what i've heard, and ONLY what i've heard, this game seems to be a pile of steaming crap. everybody seems to hate it. (not fanboys, but they are equal to monkeys and should be ignored. inccidentally, the trailers of course made it look like the second coming of jesus, but what doesn't in trailers. oh yeah, Haze)
Then again, having just seen the next sonic game, my unbiased opinion will be that it will probably make me want to firebomb Sonic team and burn them forever. Arthurian legend, honestly. pummel the dead horse some more!

EDIT If I go and post this on a nintendo/sonic forum, will it be classed as masochism or suicide?

51gunner

Jun 12, 2008
Virgil said:
Sonic Team should spend some time hanging out with Capcom. With Bionic Commando: Rearmed, the "re-mix" of Street Fighter II, and the upcoming Street Fighter IV they seem to have gotten the hang of restoring classics to their former glory recently.

Take the classic side-scrolling Sonic games. Put them in a 3D engine. Re-master the audio. Add achievements, save points, and the other conveniences of today's games. Release. Bonus Points: online co-op using Tails or Knuckles (any other characters should be deleted).
Bingo! I've said this as well: everyone accepts the old Sonic games and would probably buy them again, as... marketing division as that sounds.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Well, having only played the demo I downloaded off X-Box Live (which coincidentally didn't feature a playable werehog section, something which disappointed me as I at least wanted to try it out). Nonetheless, the daytime section was a blast, and was probably the closest, not counting Sonic Rush, thing there's been to the glory days of playing Sonic 2.

Sadly, but also rather amusingly, the last 5 seconds or so sum up Sonic perfectly in this day and age.

I guess we'll just have to wait till they finally release the one Sonic game that isn't infested with a multitude of characters that nobody cares about, among other things. In my opinion the only valid characters are Sonic (of course), Tails, Knuckles and I suppose even Amy Rose (seeing that she turned in Sonic CD, when things were still okay.

Also, Dr Robotnik. Not Eggman, or Eggman aka Dr. Robotnik. Just the doctor :). we just can't be doing with that at all really.

Cardskeeper

Dec 18, 2008
SirSchmoopy said:
Everything after the first real level is downhill and don't worry the Sonic Team will most likely keep making crap as seen is this trailer.

http://sonic.sega.jp/ankokunokishi/
I can't believe it,sonic and the black knight will be a cross between devil may cry and sonic?!
Well,at least Sonic team doesn't make a first person shooter or fighter with sonic...
(I just hope that no one in the sonic team reads this..)

Watershed

Dec 10, 2007
Cardskeeper said:
SirSchmoopy said:
Everything after the first real level is downhill and don't worry the Sonic Team will most likely keep making crap as seen is this trailer.

http://sonic.sega.jp/ankokunokishi/
I can't believe it,sonic and the black knight will be a cross between devil may cry and sonic?!
Well,at least Sonic team doesn't make a first person shooter or fighter with sonic...
(I just hope that no one in the sonic team reads this..)
I'm afraid to tell you Sonic the Fighters already exists. Its not good... http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf4msgD77OA

Graham

Dec 5, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
Graham said:
Actually, most of the critics I've read (aside from Russ) have praised the daytime segments and said that Unleashed has some of the best fast-paced Sonic gameplay that has ever been seen in 3D.
I don't disagree. If the game were comprised solely of the daytime levels I'd have recommended it wholeheartedly. Having to play through the rest of the crap to get to those levels, however, makes this one a FAIL for me.
Well, I really hope Sonic Team is reading threads like this all over the 'net and maybe, just maybe, wising up to that notion.

We can dream Russ... we can dream.

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
I think Team Sonic needs to take a page from Capcom and make retro 2D Sonic Games for XBLA, PSN and WiiWare. Mega Man has never been good since the old NES days, and Sonic hasn't been good since the Genesis/Mega Drive, so this way we can have the Sonic experience we know and love w/out all the 3D bs, bad characters, ect...

Sounds like a win/win for everyone.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
I like how there's a lot of "Sonic Team should..." posts - but sadly, they are utterly FUCKED. This game was their last hope, but it's over, and soon we'll see the headline "Sonic team bankrupt".

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Graham said:
Russ Pitts said:
Graham said:
Actually, most of the critics I've read (aside from Russ) have praised the daytime segments and said that Unleashed has some of the best fast-paced Sonic gameplay that has ever been seen in 3D.
I don't disagree. If the game were comprised solely of the daytime levels I'd have recommended it wholeheartedly. Having to play through the rest of the crap to get to those levels, however, makes this one a FAIL for me.
Well, I really hope Sonic Team is reading threads like this all over the 'net and maybe, just maybe, wising up to that notion.

We can dream Russ... we can dream.
Indeed. And it's not from a purely selfish perspective, either (although I would love to play that game). I used to work next door to Sonic Team. We shared office space with them when I was at TechTV. I never really knew any of the guys, but I saw them around the office, etc. The looks on their faces when Sega pulled the plug on the Dreamcast were heart-wrenching. I'm not even sure how many of those same guys are still there, but I feel for them. I'm sure no one would like for them to make a hit game as much as they do themselves.

Graham

Dec 5, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
Indeed. And it's not from a purely selfish perspective, either (although I would love to play that game). I used to work next door to Sonic Team. We shared office space with them when I was at TechTV. I never really knew any of the guys, but I saw them around the office, etc. The looks on their faces when Sega pulled the plug on the Dreamcast were heart-wrenching. I'm not even sure how many of those same guys are still there, but I feel for them. I'm sure no one would like for them to make a hit game as much as they do themselves.
Wow, I hadn't even thought about it from that perspective. It's not like these guys don't deserve it, they just need to focus and go back to a formula that works.

Speaking of a working formula, was there a reason they abandoned the Sonic Adventure franchise? I kind of lost touch with Sonic in those depressing post-Dreamcast years so I never played the sequel, but didn't that franchise have some room to grow when it was axed?

I think a return to form for that series would be more welcome than these attempts at action platforming that we're getting now.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
I think that format made more sense for them, strategically, when they were controlling the hardware as well. I didn't play Adventure 2 though, so I don't know what kind of legs the series still had at that point. I enjoyed the hell out of Adventure 1 though.

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
While it is worth remembering that Sonic is supposed to be aimed at younger players, I really can't see why even a young gamer would enjoy this. Having watched someone play through 1 level of each type, I think Russ has done very well to mirror what I've seen just watching the game. I could sum up an evaluation as
If you try to please everyone, nobody will like it.
There is something in there that's meant to appeal to everyone:

Kiddies - Navi Chip/Storyline
Whining fanboys - 2D sections
Hardcores - Perfecting high speed platforming
??? - "Werehog" levels

However, when you throw all of these into a blender, all you get is a bland pulp with your favourite flavour being overpowered with things you don't like. When Sonic Team solidly decides which direction to take a game and not mutilate the concept at hand, then somebody will actually like what they're buying.

Dec 18, 2008
Poor sonic he might as well do prostatution now.Why doesn't sega just make 2-D sonic games like they used to,not to make another lame ass attempt.

carrnage

Dec 27, 2008
i dont get it, i loved this game, i thought it was just fun,
i dont know what half you people are expecting but your going into this game with the wroung frame of mind, its not ment to be some intalectually challangeing piece of gaming drama, where you have to find one thing to do another thing to level up to fight some twat with a bigger gun than you and kill him, {shadow the hedghog aside, ill admit that was awful}only to find out theres 20 bigger twats with bigger guns behind him, all ready to kill you

now ill admit the last bunch sonic games were less than an admerable notch on segas ever falling gameing air ship, but think your all looking at him though an angry blue haze from the previouse games and instantly designating him to death, when in fact it no where near as bad as you make out,

the day stages are good clean running fun, its nice not to have to dive behind every bit of cover you can find with your every depleting health and ammo while the world and his wife trys to kick seven shades of shit out of you, and then lauphs while you fail for the fortyfith time,
its sonic at his very speedy best, you say its terrible, but its sonic at his roots, its just him running through different enviroments useing his speed to over come obsiticals, just like he used to do in the retro game of yor, and that is what what you all wanted right? and while im at it the 2D/3D flip is kool, its nice two get a diffenet perspective on things, gives you a real sense of speed

the werehog levels,are,,,,,,, well,,,,,, again fun
i liked them, people dont get what the point of him turning into the werehog is, what is there to get, its a new twist on an old chracter, like nero in devil may cry, or the toon link in the zelda games, its an experiment, and consept, an idea, it may not be the best idea, but neather where all thoughs solid snake clones because look what happend to that fucking game, i for one think its a good idea to start brodaning the relems of what sonic can become,now i no i said that its nice not to levels up and if i dont say this then someone will pick up on it and try to fuck me with it, yes you level up as the werehog, but its not integeral to the compleation of the game, its just a nice bonus ant the end of a level,its just fun to smash enemys around, its like a cartoon fight of sorts
the only thing that puzzles me is the stretch arm thing, but hay, its sonic, its not ment to make that much sense

the problem is that your all expecting some great master piece of gameing that your over looking the great qualitys it has got as a game, your all so crititcal of what sega hasent done and what it should be putting in games that youve back them into a corner, and if the did make some great piece of gameing genius, you would say its shit because you think its gimicy and they have just stolen ideas from totally original games like oh lets say halo {sarcastic lauph} so they should be more retro, and then if they did make a retro style game you would call it shit for being to simple and childish, you havent left them any opyions to make a good game,

stop looking at this game though an angry blue haze, dont dwel on past mistakes,
this game is a well needed sonic shaped plaster on the torn artery of sega, its fun plane and simple, its nice just to able to pick up the controler and just play a game without the fear that some one is going to shot the buggery out of you

and just for the record, i no i sound like a fan boy but im not, i just dont like to see disjustice done to to game that is actually very good once you get down to it

itsnotyouitsme

Dec 27, 2008
Meh, i happened to like sonic adventures 1 and 2 for the dreamcast, that and powerstone but no one seems to even know what that is anymore. 3d sonic was a good change, but sonic with melee? forget it... sonic jumps on things like mario, he shouldn't bash things with his fists.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Super Racer Z said:
EDIT:Oh, and here is the most descriptive and IMO best review for the game.

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/index.php?option=com_magazine&id_rubrique=1&type=article&id_article=228
I see you subscribe to the "lets find the high score" to prove a point logic.