Review: Sonic Unleashed

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
right so, Russ Pitts got muderized for his bad words towards Sonic, what about Yahtzee? is he muderized yet?.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
carrnage said:
i dont get it, i loved this game, i thought it was just fun,
i dont know what half you people are expecting but your going into this game with the wroung frame of mind, its not ment to be some intalectually challangeing piece of gaming drama,

*blahblahblurblurb*

and just for the record, i no i sound like a fan boy but im not, i just dont like to see disjustice done to to game that is actually very good once you get down to it
As Yatzhee put in a deliciously, succinct manner: "[fanboy] yes you are".

In reality, Sonic is as dead as the spell-check hotkey on your keyboard =D
~
btw, loved the review. I'm glad someone is doing justice with regards to the atrocity that is Sonic the Wolf-Hog

cartooner2008

Dec 18, 2008
ColdStorage said:
right so, Russ Pitts got muderized for his bad words towards Sonic, what about Yahtzee? is he muderized yet?.
By that do you mean that Russ Pitts has gotten a lot of hate mail for this review?

If that's what you mean, I'm very sure that Yahtzee got just as much.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
cartooner2008 said:
ColdStorage said:
By that do you mean that Russ Pitts has gotten a lot of hate mail for this review?

Its a shame really Russ Pits is really rather funny*, but I still dont understand the bashing of reviewers both Russ with this and Yahtzee with Brawl.... or Jeff Gertsmann with the 8.9 review of Zelda.

These guys have to play every single game for a living, to put food on the table for their children, or maybe to put drugs on their credit cards for their habits, so why do they get berated for the work they do?.

You dont call your Doctor a "Jackass" for telling you to stop eating McDonalds because it's crap and bad for you, so why do people come here to slap Russ on the hand?.

*I in no way mean that Russ needs to be hated on more.

cartooner2008

Dec 18, 2008
ColdStorage said:
cartooner2008 said:
ColdStorage said:

Its a shame really Russ Pits is really rather funny*, but I still dont understand the bashing of reviewers both Russ with this and Yahtzee with Brawl.... or Jeff Gertsmann with the 8.9 review of Zelda.

These guys have to play every single game for a living, to put food on the table for their children, or maybe to put drugs on their credit cards for their habits, so why do they get berated for the work they do?.

You dont call your Doctor a "Jackass" for telling you to stop eating McDonalds because it's crap and bad for you, so why do people come here to slap Russ on the hand?.

*I in no way mean that Russ needs to be hated on more.
Well, that's what happens when you speak ill of something with a large fanbase. For example, numerous movie critics have received threatening letters (some even going as far as DEATH THREATS) if they said ANYTHING bad about the movie The Dark Knight, and bash anyone who hasn't seen it.

People should grow up. I like Sonic Unleashed, but I don't write death threats to Russ Pitts or Yahtzee.

carrnage

Dec 27, 2008
okay fine a im a fan of sonic the hedgehog, i dont care
its a good game, simple as
and the were-hog levels are in no way atrocious, thats just harsh
there are worse things in the gameing world, and much worse games
its a good idea gone abit wroung, but it still dosent make it as bad as you all
sonic is still alive :D and runnig as fast as ever

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
The opening sequence is spectacular gorgeousness that gave me a serotonin-high flashback to Sonic 2's thrilling finale. I was literally in awe, thinking: this is the Sonic game I've been wanting since S3&K. However, it still manages to disappoint.

The werehog sections are slow, clunky, and frustrate me endlessly. I'm not a fan of God of War (shush, peanut gallery, it's a fine game, I just don't like that style of play) and didn't buy a Sonic game for slow 3D combat. It's a little Kingdom Hearts-y, but with worse camera angle, slower, messier combat and generally frustrating button-mash controls.

The daytime levels are good, hardly "traditional" Sonic, but close enough to feel right and be fun to play. Yes, he's too fast if you constantly hit boost, but if you recall the old games it was pretty hard to stay at full tilt constantly too. Of course, in the old games, he could precision-jump just as easily as he could accelerate to max speed. The camera-behind sections tend to have frustrating, hit-a-wall-and-stop moments. Sega needs to hire a level designer worth his salt, not whatever cack-handed moron they're currently getting, the levels encourage constant linear speed, yet throw in obstacles that halt you completely. In the old games, slowing down was never a problem, and when you needed to go fast, the paths were available to you without obstruction. You just had to keep your eyes open for alternative paths and end-of-path hazards.

I don't own it myself - and certainly won't buy it - but I may play quite a bit more of the daytime levels on my friend's copy. They're not that bad.

QuesoGr7

May 28, 2009
Cardskeeper said:
Thanks for the review!
I wasn't far away from buying this game,because I really really liked the demo. Yeah it was trial and error basically,but that didn't bother me that much ,because sonic was ... well... sonic! He was fast,he was "cool",he was like he should be. But in the demo,they don't show any "Werehog" parts ,which made me believe that its just 1/8 of the game,a little short part...But now I know otherwise.
Again,thank you for saving me $60!
The game, its awesome. Most of the stuff that reviewers bring up is stuff you don't even have to do to beat the game.

zoozilla said:
It's made for kids. And I think that's where it fails.

Granted, Sonic games have always been for kids - the first few installments definitely weren't aiming to reach an older audience of any kind.

It's just that...since the late 1990's, I guess game devs have forgotten how to make a good game that appeals to kids and is bearable to others.
Lol, this game is too challenging and fast-paced for most kids to play. It ain't easy

pyromcr said:
this is one of the worst sonic games ever!!!
Are you serious? This is a HELL of a lot better than 06 and some of the other recent titles.

m.balandisx

Jun 16, 2009
OK. Now this is getting ridiculous!!!

Why don't you try playing something like Sonic Heroes and see which is better. In Sonic heroes you are slow like hell (takes ages to gain speed and when you stop you start all over again) and enemies are missing you on purpose. The models are like crap. I don't see for developers to make games anymore because whatever they make is crap. And I am not talking just about SONIC UNLEASHED. I am talking about every review and every game. I really like reviews like ZERO PUNCTUATION because they make me laugh of the irony and stuff. That makes you think about the game whether to buy it or not and the person decides and not the reviewer who obviously hates every game that is released after he has got a job here.

To put it simply, reviewer, if you are a fan boy of shooting games you are most likely to give A's to shooting games and big fat F's to platform games and vice versa. Let the platform fan boy review and he will probably research more good things in the game than bad and turn the rating upside down.

First of all, games are made to have fun with and not to easily finish. If the game long to finish is good because you will enjoy it longer and not buy a game for $60 or whatever and finish it in 2-5 days.. will it be money worth spent?! When I personally play a game and DIE in it, i would just say to myself: "Darn, I will not give up that easy" and laugh, enjoy and continue. Take a break and not let the eyes bleed away....

This game has lots of cut scenes which are funny. So, if you one of the types of people who just want to play and cut the "crap", which it isn't, you are showing that you are very impatient and addicted to games (hardcore games) and not a normal person who just want to forget the worries and play a bit. Games like these are made to enjoy and not to judge. If we judge every game instead of just PLAYING it, we will not have FUN. It seems that the reviewer only played couple of levels and made an opinion to everybody who worships the reviewer as GOD and believes in every word he says. TRUST ME, IF YOU LISTEN TO REVIEWERS HERE, YOU WILL PROBABLY HAVE A PC OR CONSOLE WITHOUT ANY GAMES EVER.

To conclude, I see that most of you are over 30's or more. If not, then you are at least acting to be mature and have huge "generation gaps". If you hate new games so much, why don't you install MS DOS on your PC and enjoy command text based MORPG and stop making 3D look bad?

p.s I am not a fan boy of Sonic, I am showing how cruel reviews can be...

m.balandisx

Jun 16, 2009
Anyway.. In my opinion, a fan-boy criticizes the game more than a non-fan-boy. Why would non-fan-boys care about were-hog if they not hard fans of sonic. Fan-boys, on the other hand, would be more critic. Still, this game is underrated by almost all reviews (if I could call it reviews but just a 1 level play-through)..

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Sonic team should top making games. SEGA should focus on Total War. Would that not please EVERYONE?