Review: Splinter Cell: Conviction

beddo

New member
Dec 12, 2007
1,589
0
0
Nibiru said:
I do not have the patience to read the full written review at the moment, but I am not really sure if I even want to after watching the video review...

Apparently, they removed most of the stealth elements, correct? Instead, they introduced these 'nifty' execution and shadow skills? Did they remove the difficulty of sneaking through a facility without killing anybody and being noticed? Is the stealth now based on killing everybody as fast as possible?! If the answer is 'yes' , I will not even rent it and just prey for another good stealth game to come out soon (Eidos, if you screw up Thief 4, I will sneak up on you and use my flame arrows on the oil beneath you!)
They haven't removed the stealth, large sections of levels require full stealth without being seen. There are a few missions where being seen means you have to restart.

In the video review they show you in a garage, in that first bit you can't be seen. The game flows really well and each mission is separated into sort of chapters, some more than others. So you will need to not be seen until you are in the place you are infiltrating.

It's worth playing but it's nothing like the Splinter Cells of old, of course, you can challenge yourself to slip by unnoticed but the levels generally require combat. A lot of the game is trial and error much like the earlier titles but being seen isn't such a big deal, a quick emp shock blast is enough to get away in most cases. If you do play I recommend doing it in Realistic mode and only use a pistol with a maximum of 2 mark and execute moves.
 

capin Rob

New member
Apr 2, 2010
7,447
0
0
Not trying to be a nerd, but in one part of the review he said that Sam worked for the CIA, but he worked for Third Echelon, and that is run by the NSA
 

SomeBoredGuy

New member
Nov 18, 2009
1,160
0
0
T-Bone24 said:
I love the game, however Fisher seems to have gotten younger since Double Agent. hard to believe he's in his fifties.
Well, my dad is 51 and him and Fisher look creepily alike.
 

xchurchx

New member
Nov 2, 2009
357
0
0
why? WHY IS IT ONLY ON XBOX????!!!!
ps i love how you put this is great place to start when we're at the end of the series
....or are we?
 

Freyar

Solar Empire General
May 9, 2008
214
0
0
So I've played through the co-op and the campaign. While I was enjoying it, it has a very common problem. It's over too quickly. Difficulty as well is merely a case of not being detected in the levels that require it, and not necessarily retaliation.

For instance, I played through both the co-op and campaign on "Realistic", and beat them both. Problem is, 80% of the game can be beaten via typical combat approaches, and really ruins the need for hiding. The other 20% requires you to stay hidden which is such a jarring difference on "Realistic" that it can be keyboard-smashingly frustrating at times. The lack of an ability to move bodies in "Realistic" quadruples the difficulty simply because every target has a flashlight, and sees bodies more easily than they see you.

The story, while interesting, was too quick and seemed rushed. There wasn't much in trying to figure out what was going on, and the twists had me literally scratching my head. The lack of choice here was a problem. I felt like I always had one, maybe two ways to go or to deal with issues, most of which degenerated into simply shooting and not bypassing.

Now for all it's faults, I will say the one major thing that impressed me was the change in animations. They were all a lot more smooth and natural in comparison to previous titles in the series, however that doesn't excuse the rest.

Now as far as character designs, I do have to scratch my head there too. For one, Sam looks younger in Conviction. Why? This doesn't make sense. He's supposed to be older, much older. Archer's costume design is annoying as hell. He has a set of goggles that look like they are designed for night-vision with depth perception over one eye like an eye-patch. It just makes me want to punch him in the face each time I see it. Kestrel is at least believable.
 

Ashbax

New member
Jan 7, 2009
1,774
0
0
Really love this game, Ive already beaten it 3 times, and play the challenges/co-op campaign constantly