Review: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

Aphex Demon

Aug 23, 2010
I played the demo, I enjoyed it but one thing that got on my nerves was the split second freeze frame every time you make contact with an enemy using the lightsaber, I found that so annoying, am I the only one who noticed this?

Iamdude

Jul 7, 2010
I don't particularly have a problem with double lightsabre's, but it would have been better to offer the player a choice, double or single, like jedi academy did.

Also, when doing the video supplement... is it possible to use more then one tone? Even when the words used were about excitement, the reviewer still seemed bored. Maybe because he was bored with the game but it just sounded off. A sure way to get your audience to nod off is to just drone on. Which is how the video felt.

Malyc

Bullets... they don't affect me.
Feb 17, 2010
Game was too damn short. I beat vader, watched the cutscene and was like, "sweet, now i get to go to another planet and fight an even stronger baddy. Wait, credits? what are the credits doing here? OH GODAMIT!!!"

electric discordian

Apr 27, 2008
I'm enjoying this game, one thing in the review though, Darth Maul did not Duel Wield lightsabres! His was a Pole-arm, a double headed light bill-hook if you will!

I am not a sci-fi guy but I know my ancient weaponry!

Chrissyluky

Jul 3, 2009
The character isn't very relate-able, the game is really short and really it's just not a very good star wars game. I didn't expect much out of this being the first one wasn't that great either but this was still a pretty big downgrade. Along with this the replay value is almost nonexistent since the only motivation you have to go through it again is to try it on a harder difficulty or get all the collectibles. Thus you have no control over the story other than an ending which just adds to the repetitive experience.

Byers

Nov 21, 2008
Jedi Knight 2 - now there's a great Star Wars game.

The Force Unleashed is Star Wars repackaged as puerile crap for 14 year old emo kids.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
We're all forgetting the real problem here.

What the hell happened to the gaming stash?

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
I miss Kyle aswell. I prefer Jedi Knight:Dark forces 2 over Jedi outcast however.

Also if any starwars game asks me to name my main character then Kyle Katarn is always chosen.

Regarding the review, SWFU2 seems as bland as the first game so I'm going to steer clear.

vanthebaron

Sep 16, 2010
I just look at it as a simple Star Wars HackNSlash so it doesn't have to be good. Just distract me from my meaning less life for 5 hours.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Starkiller is possibly the most juvenile name I've seen outside of a youtube posting section. It's like having your ACTUAL NAME be something like xXDarkLordSephirothXx.

ThatFanBoyGuy

Dec 23, 2009
I pre-reserved this game a month ahead of time, paid full price, and picked it up at the midnight release. And let me tell you: waste of time, waste of money.

Let me warn you, do not buy this for the Wii. I bought TFU1 for the Wii because of the motion controls for the force and the lightsaber. TFU2 does not do it the same way. In TFU2, the controller is a regular controller just like the PS3 and XBox360 controller, and the motion controls are random controls to make up for the lack of buttons. So without good motion controls, there is no excuse for anything else.

In the TFU1 I excused the poor graphics because of good motion control gameplay. In TFU2 I could not excuse the graphics. What makes it worse is that the graphics got worse. After playing TFU2, I went back and replayed TFU1 and you'd think the 1st game came out second because the graphics were better. It was like TFU2 wasn't even trying with the graphics. But we know it's possible because we've seen (Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock comes to mind). In TFU1 I excused the horrible plot because of motion control gameplay. In TFU2, the story gets worse, and without the good gameplay, the story sickens. Now granite, I will say in light of where it started it didn't end too bad. But the plot should not haven been continued. In TFU1, I didn't like where Starkiller's character development went, but I was ok with it because of the motion controls. In this one Starkiller is worse, and I really can't justify it without good controls. Half the time Starkillre is this emo guy. Actually, he takes emo to a whole new level, always crying, whining and talking about his feelings. The other half of thie time, Starkiller is this happy-go-lucky, have-fun explorer, who jokes around with dry hmor, uses sarcasm, and is witty with other character. In fact, the best way I can describe it is like Brendon Fraiser's character from the Mummy triology. Heck, even sometimes Starkiller sounded like him.

Point is if you're a Star Wars fan and gamer who has to choose between which console to get it for, DO NOT pick the Wii. For the first one, I would definitely say the Wii is your top choice. But not for this one. At least get good graphics.

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
Go play Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast instead. It may be eight years old but it's still better at being what The Force Unleashed is trying to be.
Agreed. This game is far more worth your time people [http://store.steampowered.com/app/6030/]. I recommend you buy the "Star Wars Jedi Knight Collection" which comes with 5 full games all for the third of the price of TFU2.

God I freakin' love Steam.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Steve Butts said:
Review: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

Am I the only one who still misses Kyle Katarn?

Read Full Article
OMG I LOVE KYLE KATARN WHEN IS HE GETTING A NEW GAME I WOULD TOTA
*slaps self*
sorry. I'm just a huge fan of Mr. Katarn. I miss him too. I really wish they'd do another jedi outcast game

Jason Danger Keyes

Mar 4, 2009
I have to admit, I was so psyched after playing the demo I was ready to pre-order it, but I'm glad I rented instead. While it had its fun aspects, and while the force powers themselves kick all manner of ass, there were too many problems. Invisible walls in the over-drawn boss fights leaving me to get pummeled over and over again, lack of enemy variety and the extremely short campaign left a lot to be desired.

Jedi Academy, though, remains one of my top games ever. I remember pausing, spawning 30 enemy Jedi with the console commands, then taking them all on at once in brutal and frantic battles of insane proportions. I can only dream that someday a star wars game will be made with Jedi Outcast/Jedi Academy's style, lightsaber combat and gameplay with TFU's force powers... hot damn.