Review: Street Fighter IV

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
20,364
0
0
Review: Street Fighter IV

Practice your Yoga, put on the red headband, and party like it's 1991: Street Fighter IV is here to kick ass and take names. And we're all out of names.

Read Full Article
 

rossatdi

New member
Aug 27, 2008
2,542
0
0
I'm getting this on a pre-order deal from amazon.co.uk

Ultimate Mega Drive (Genesis) Collection + Residential Evil 5 + Street Fight IV for a grand total of £90 (including delivery).

I'm not an old school SF fan but I like fighting in general so was more than happy to have it as part of this great deal.

Looking forward to sitting around with my flatmates and knocking seven shades of shit out of each other (then we'll turn the game on, ha ha ha).
 

barryween

New member
Apr 17, 2008
1,162
0
0
Im getting mine today! I preordered the SE from Gamestop. That means I get the headband to! I loved SFII and it is still a good game. I hope it can hold up for SFIV!
 

ZantetsukenQ

New member
Sep 25, 2008
282
0
0
I honestly can't wait for my copy. I really hope Amazon gets it to me for the 20th or earlier. Also got a nice cheap arcade stick too.

Sweet review, echos/confirms what a lot of other reviewers have been saying.
 

TheBadass

New member
Aug 27, 2008
704
0
0
I used to LOVE fighting games, they were easily my favourite genre. Smashing heads in SF2, beatin' bitches in Tekken 3... but lately they've all bored the ever loving crap at me. They were all too technical (VF5) or far too arcadey (Tekken 5) and so I've been bored off my tits with them after about three days.

Hopefully SF4 is the game that can bring back my love for the fighters, but I guess I'll find out on Friday. Anticipating it even more after this review.
 

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
20,364
0
0
I'm gonna get this game at Toys R us, the deal there is great. If you get this game, you get COD: WaW or some other games for 25$ and a SF4 figurine.

Great review also!
 

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
20,364
0
0
Keane Ng said:
You're going down, Funk. You're going down.
I'm not going down. The only one who's going to be doing any going down is YOU, my friend.

... just let me play through Trial mode with Sagat, C.Viper and Sakura first.
 

Robyrt

New member
Aug 1, 2008
568
0
0
I picked up my copy of Street Fighter IV from the local store this morning, then headed out to lunch at the Lebanese place next door. As I walked in, a young boy pointed at me excitedly and said, "Daddy! That man has Street Fighter too!" I looked over, and he was already wearing his pre-order headband.

Now I know this game is going to be something special.
 

Keane Ng

New member
Sep 11, 2008
5,892
0
0
stormcaller said:
I take it Blanka and Chun li are no longer acceptable ways to win everything?
If you're asking "can I mash one button to make it through the Arcade mode?" then the answer's yes.

Robyrt said:
I picked up my copy of Street Fighter IV from the local store this morning, then headed out to lunch at the Lebanese place next door. As I walked in, a young boy pointed at me excitedly and said, "Daddy! That man has Street Fighter too!" I looked over, and he was already wearing his pre-order headband.

Now I know this game is going to be something special.
Stories like this make me believe in the future of this world.
 

Vlane

New member
Sep 14, 2008
1,996
0
0
Too bad I have to wait until the end of february until I can buy it. I'm really looking forward to this game.
 

Clemenstation

New member
Dec 9, 2008
414
0
0
Making fighters mainstream again, huh? Someone told me Soul Caliber IV was going to do that, but then they later told me it didn't. They also mumbled something about invincible hit-frames and cheap-assedness on the internet.

I'm glad they've scaled back some of the complexity though. I started dropping out of fighters around the time that I had to choose what kind of move set I wanted my guy to have: A, B, S, or a tiny icon of a rabbit. When the game actually started I was assailed by so many combo meters and rage bars that I had an epileptic fit, but I still won the match somehow. That, to me, was not Quality Time Spent.

Maybe SF IV will be different... maybe...
 

Bourguit

New member
Oct 19, 2008
47
0
0
Keane Ng said:
stormcaller said:
I take it Blanka and Chun li are no longer acceptable ways to win everything?
If you're asking "can I mash one button to make it through the Arcade mode?" then the answer's yes.

Robyrt said:
I picked up my copy of Street Fighter IV from the local store this morning, then headed out to lunch at the Lebanese place next door. As I walked in, a young boy pointed at me excitedly and said, "Daddy! That man has Street Fighter too!" I looked over, and he was already wearing his pre-order headband.

Now I know this game is going to be something special.
Stories like this make me believe in the future of this world.

:) (Tear)
 

Flying-Emu

New member
Oct 30, 2008
5,367
0
0
Stupid me not buying a stupid 360 and stupidly having to wait for the stupid PC port.

I might buy a 360 just for this, dammit!
 

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
708
0
0
notoriouslynx said:
I'm gonna get this game at Toys R us, the deal there is great. If you get this game, you get COD: WaW or some other games for 25$ and a SF4 figurine.

Great review also!
*points at your icon* I need to start a new game of Okami. Like, right now.
 

Figrut

New member
Oct 29, 2008
51
0
0
A really big part of sf2 for me was the damn catching and memorable music and the eye poping colorful stages that were the extreme essences of the characters flavour. I cannot remeber the last time I played a fighting game where it was considered to be homefield advantage for playing in your characters stage against an apponent not due to any technical advantage, but due to the atmosphere. The music and stages are all just bleh now. I will always miss the overly sterotyped kalideoscopic 2 and a half screen widths of yore.
 

Vortigar

New member
Nov 8, 2007
862
0
0
Got the game, been having loads of fun with it.
But then, I'm a fighting game fan...

Haven't been online yet, want to unlock the characters and get some basic combo's in my fingers first. Due to all the multiple button inputs it seems a stick is almost mandatory.

The tutorial is good but sometimes falls short in explaining stuff, omitting that you need to dash forward after a max charge focus attack to connect a crouching MP for example. Timing of moves is more forgiving than it was in previous games but still pretty precise.

Weird sidenote on the video:
Thought you pronounced Arendt differently. But it must have slowly mutated throughout the ages. Waht with Arendt being a German name and arend (or adelaar) meaning eagle in Dutch, which is my native tongue. I figure both came from the same root word in Germanic or Saksen somewhere.
 

SirSchmoopy

New member
Apr 15, 2008
797
0
0
Flying-Emu said:
Stupid me not buying a stupid 360 and stupidly having to wait for the stupid PC port.

I might buy a 360 just for this, dammit!
PC Port for Street Fighter? Man I'd just skip it then try to play it on a PC.
 

Flying-Emu

New member
Oct 30, 2008
5,367
0
0
SirSchmoopy said:
Flying-Emu said:
Stupid me not buying a stupid 360 and stupidly having to wait for the stupid PC port.

I might buy a 360 just for this, dammit!
PC Port for Street Fighter? Man I'd just skip it then try to play it on a PC.
But Schmoopy, it's a long ways off. They haven't even announced the release date for it yet.

There's also the fact that it's gonna require specs higher than Starcraft or KOTORII, so I'm screwed in that department.
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
Vortigar said:
Weird sidenote on the video:
Thought you pronounced Arendt differently. But it must have slowly mutated throughout the ages. Waht with Arendt being a German name and arend (or adelaar) meaning eagle in Dutch, which is my native tongue. I figure both came from the same root word in Germanic or Saksen somewhere.
Yes, my pronunciation is definitely the Americanized version, though kudos to you for knowing the true version. :)
 

Ghost

Spoony old Bard
Feb 13, 2009
893
0
0
i have SF2, SF 2 turbo and SF alpha, this looks awesome and I'll definitely give it a go. btw isn't there another SF on xbox? on the xbl arcade or something?
 

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
20,364
0
0
Nerdfury said:
notoriouslynx said:
I'm gonna get this game at Toys R us, the deal there is great. If you get this game, you get COD: WaW or some other games for 25$ and a SF4 figurine.

Great review also!
*points at your icon* I need to start a new game of Okami. Like, right now.
It's the greatest game ever. Right?
 

stormcaller

New member
Sep 6, 2008
2,314
0
0
Wait a minute it's not on PS3? or Wii? /suicide

Stormcaller's interpreter back from when he smashed a brick into his face in the War of the Games thread: Stormcaller's ghost is telling me his birthday is now partially ruined and that Team Fortress 2 better be pretty damned good.
 

Kiroshimatsu

New member
Oct 17, 2008
88
0
0
SirSchmoopy said:
Flying-Emu said:
Stupid me not buying a stupid 360 and stupidly having to wait for the stupid PC port.

I might buy a 360 just for this, dammit!
PC Port for Street Fighter? Man I'd just skip it then try to play it on a PC.
I'm down for some online versus mode!

I was in and out of the fighting games... I started out watching the uber guys in the arcade (school has/had and arcade), started playing, but then dropped it because of plateau-ing skill issues. Maybe I'll give this one a shot...
 

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
20,364
0
0
stormcaller said:
Wait a minute it's not on PS3? or Wii? /suicide

Stormcaller's interpreter back from when he smashed a brick into his face in the War of the Games thread: Stormcaller's ghost is telling me his birthday is now partially ruined and that Team Fortress 2 better be pretty damned good.
It is indeed out on PS3!

Edit: Wrong console. D'oh. Brainfart!
 

JamminOz07

New member
Nov 19, 2008
342
0
0
picked it up last night for PS3, man, it looks totally amazing, plays pretty well too, but I suck so hard that it's difficult to know for sure :)

i think i need an arcade stick tho....
 

stormcaller

New member
Sep 6, 2008
2,314
0
0
CantFaketheFunk said:
stormcaller said:
Wait a minute it's not on PS3? or Wii? /suicide

Stormcaller's interpreter back from when he smashed a brick into his face in the War of the Games thread: Stormcaller's ghost is telling me his birthday is now partially ruined and that Team Fortress 2 better be pretty damned good.
It is indeed out on PS3!

Edit: Wrong console. D'oh. Brainfart!
*Stormcaller's interpreter casts Redemption*

See kids, Paladins are useful for something after all!

And on that note: WOOHOO!

Time to also invest in a second controller and some friends now I guess...

Edit: What is this arcade stick and where do I get one?
 

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
3,422
0
0
CantFaketheFunk said:
By the by, if you guys have XBL, you're welcome to challenge me :)
I just picked it up today, darn you Best Buy not getting shipments on time, give me a few days to catch up and enable my Gold Account again.

Then I'll try and Shoryuken you into the next county.
 

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
20,364
0
0
Slycne said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
By the by, if you guys have XBL, you're welcome to challenge me :)
I just picked it up today, darn you Best Buy not getting shipments on time, give me a few days to catch up and enable my Gold Account again.

Then I'll try and Shoryuken you into the next county.
Dude. You're right across the room.

If we need XBL for this, then something is very strange.
 

t_rexaur

New member
Feb 14, 2008
135
0
0
BIGpanda said:
how come the wii isn't seeing a release date?
Because Capcom can't be arsed porting it is my guess.

The Wii isn't that much weaker than the X-Box or PS3, but it's probably weak enough that it would require some work (like Dead Rising).

There's also the fact that most companies are too busy flooding the market with crappy party games to care that the Wii also has a more hardcore faction who are dying to see anything get released.
 

JamminOz07

New member
Nov 19, 2008
342
0
0
JamminOz07 said:
I can't find "Trial Mode" only the "Training" mode!
oh, is it under the "challenge mode" menu? sorry, didn't get that far...

EDIT: sorry for the double post, I quoted when I intended to edit... please don't moderate me again! I don't like being on probation...
 

Razorback0z

New member
Feb 10, 2009
363
0
0
Not looking for a flame war among so many fans of this genre... but I just have to say.

Quote:
"At its core, the gameplay remains essentially unchanged from the days of Street Fighter II"

Which is why I was sick of these games in about 1985 and can not for the life of me understand how they have made it into the new millenium.

Just my 2c... go ahead Fatality on me...
 

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
3,422
0
0
Razorback0z said:
Not looking for a flame war among so many fans of this genre... but I just have to say.

Quote:
"At its core, the gameplay remains essentially unchanged from the days of Street Fighter II"

Which is why I was sick of these games in about 1985 and can not for the life of me understand how they have made it into the new millenium.

Just my 2c... go ahead Fatality on me...
I don't like mushrooms, but I don't expect all the mushrooms farms to shut down because of it. I think you can see where I am going with that.
 

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
3,245
0
0
So I was playing this game and managed to beat the second round final boss after a bunch of tries. I thought "wow, normals hard, i'll try easiest and see how much easier it is". but strangly I found easiest to be just as hard as normal. Is this just me, or has anybody else noticed this?
 

BIGpanda

New member
Jan 13, 2009
179
0
0
t_rexaur said:
BIGpanda said:
how come the wii isn't seeing a release date?
Because Capcom can't be arsed porting it is my guess.

The Wii isn't that much weaker than the X-Box or PS3, but it's probably weak enough that it would require some work (like Dead Rising).

There's also the fact that most companies are too busy flooding the market with crappy party games to care that the Wii also has a more hardcore faction who are dying to see anything get released.
that's rather this appointing to hear. it's not like the wii can't handle the control differences, hell that's why there's the option to play with a classic or gamecube remote for the damned console. I get that the nintendo want's in on a different variety of fans but this is the kind of shit that made me embarrassed to have a gamecube.
 

BIGpanda

New member
Jan 13, 2009
179
0
0
Eric the Orange said:
So I was playing this game and managed to beat the second round final boss after a bunch of tries. I thought "wow, normals hard, i'll try easiest and see how much easier it is". but strangly I found easiest to be just as hard as normal. Is this just me, or has anybody else noticed this?
don't mind the double post.

seth is an asshole, he keeps teleporting across the screen and gets really happy with that grab button. I just raped him with sagat and ryu, EX-attacks are your friends people.
 

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
17,672
0
0
Living in the UK as I do, I have to wait until tomorrow to get my hands on it, but once I do, I'm coming for you Funk, Keane and Slycne*


[small]*albeit coming to get my ass handed to me, but still coming...[/small]
 

Ranzel

New member
Oct 7, 2007
61
0
0
sevenrings said:
Soul Calibur 4 was a let down but it was better then this.
Try giving reasons why next time you post, makes you look like less of an ass.

I really want this game; I really want to get good at this game. My problem is that I don't even want to try the game unless I have an arcade stick and I just can't seem to find one that's worthwhile and isn't $100 or more. I barely have the money for the game itself.
 

darrinwright

New member
Oct 1, 2008
329
0
0
I've been sooooo hyped to play this game.

Another review read, and another time I tell myself I'm not an idiot for just buying it RIGHT NOW, monthly budgets be damned.
 

inkheart_artist

New member
Jan 22, 2009
274
0
0
Ranzel said:
sevenrings said:
Soul Calibur 4 was a let down but it was better then this.
Try giving reasons why next time you post, makes you look like less of an ass.

I really want this game; I really want to get good at this game. My problem is that I don't even want to try the game unless I have an arcade stick and I just can't seem to find one that's worthwhile and isn't $100 or more. I barely have the money for the game itself.
My bad, I just spoke about all of the reasons I feel that way in another thread. But after about 8 hours of playing and losing on Street Fighter 4 to Zangief, Abel, and Seth I have no doubt that this game is not accessable to casual gamers; more for its broken grab mechanics then anything else. Even on easy the character chain grab relentlessly and as soon as they hit you once you've lost the round.

Now, I play a lot of fighting games and I have a feel for the difference between casual and hardcore. Games like Guilty Gear Isuka are the pinnacle of hardcore fighting games. They relentlessly abuse you and never give you an easy fight and if you don't know every single game mechanic, not to mention where and when to use your characters move set, you lose. Apparently Street Fighter 4, if you go against the AI of the three characters I've mentioned becomes far worse then that. It took me about an hour and a half to get to level 100 in Isuka, for a hardcore fighting game thats very understandable but even the final dog/shark/robot/yeti boss had some weaknesses you could exploit to win and he never used a move that would instantly kill you regardless of anything else.

I lost to Abel for two hours until I had to resort to finding a cheap weakness to the AI in the form of constant light punching, I lost to Seth for three hours and I ended up having to spam the armored attack constantly like the light punch on Abel to just get through the FIRST ROUND. I've been losing to Zangief even on easy for another three hours because after legitimately trying to play fairly for about an hour and hopelessly trying to find anything to exploit to allow me a victory I still can't beat the inevitable chain grab combo to death to which theres no escape. You try and stay aray from him, he uses a backhand move to get to you quickly that allows him to step through fireballs. Try him from the air, same move hits you to the ground with incredible priority which he chains into a grab. He even seems to have an uncanny sixth sence for when your trying to use an EX or ultra move. It absolutely breaks the arcade mode because you have to fight at least two of these guys to beat it.

Never once did I have to resort to retarded button smashing on any other fighting game past the original Marvel vs. Capcom.

Now as to why Soul Calibur 4 is better? Well first off, there isn't any of what I mentioned in it, it has cheap characters, Algol and the Apprentice, but even to a casual player playing on easy you can beat them playing legitimately with some patience and practice in a few rounds. Second off, while it has nuances and special game mechanics that make you an unbeatable hardcore vet, if you want to just play casually through a game mode, the AI is forgiving enough to allow you through without all the special attacks, armor breakers, instant kill moves, unblockable attacks, ect. ect.

Hell, by that standard even the Guilty Gear series is more accessable to casual players when playing easy then Steet Fighter 4.
 

Keane Ng

New member
Sep 11, 2008
5,892
0
0
Yeah, anyone who wants to get a few rounds in whenever (I'll go easy on ya...heh) can feel free to add me, my GT's in my profile. You can also add me even if you don't want to play SF4. I also am very good at Bomberman and Uno.
 

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
20,364
0
0
sevenrings said:
Ranzel said:
sevenrings said:
Soul Calibur 4 was a let down but it was better then this.
Try giving reasons why next time you post, makes you look like less of an ass.

I really want this game; I really want to get good at this game. My problem is that I don't even want to try the game unless I have an arcade stick and I just can't seem to find one that's worthwhile and isn't $100 or more. I barely have the money for the game itself.
My bad, I just spoke about all of the reasons I feel that way in another thread. But after about 8 hours of playing and losing on Street Fighter 4 to Zangief, Abel, and Seth I have no doubt that this game is not accessable to casual gamers; more for its broken grab mechanics then anything else. Even on easy the character chain grab relentlessly and as soon as they hit you once you've lost the round.

Now, I play a lot of fighting games and I have a feel for the difference between casual and hardcore. Games like Guilty Gear Isuka are the pinnacle of hardcore fighting games. They relentlessly abuse you and never give you an easy fight and if you don't know every single game mechanic, not to mention where and when to use your characters move set, you lose. Apparently Street Fighter 4, if you go against the AI of the three characters I've mentioned becomes far worse then that. It took me about an hour and a half to get to level 100 in Isuka, for a hardcore fighting game thats very understandable but even the final dog/shark/robot/yeti boss had some weaknesses you could exploit to win and he never used a move that would instantly kill you regardless of anything else.

I lost to Abel for two hours until I had to resort to finding a cheap weakness to the AI in the form of constant light punching, I lost to Seth for three hours and I ended up having to spam the armored attack constantly like the light punch on Abel to just get through the FIRST ROUND. I've been losing to Zangief even on easy for another three hours because after legitimately trying to play fairly for about an hour and hopelessly trying to find anything to exploit to allow me a victory I still can't beat the inevitable chain grab combo to death to which theres no escape. You try and stay aray from him, he uses a backhand move to get to you quickly that allows him to step through fireballs. Try him from the air, same move hits you to the ground with incredible priority which he chains into a grab. He even seems to have an uncanny sixth sence for when your trying to use an EX or ultra move. It absolutely breaks the arcade mode because you have to fight at least two of these guys to beat it.

Never once did I have to resort to retarded button smashing on any other fighting game past the original Marvel vs. Capcom.

Now as to why Soul Calibur 4 is better? Well first off, there isn't any of what I mentioned in it, it has cheap characters, Algol and the Apprentice, but even to a casual player playing on easy you can beat them playing legitimately with some patience and practice in a few rounds. Second off, while it has nuances and special game mechanics that make you an unbeatable hardcore vet, if you want to just play casually through a game mode, the AI is forgiving enough to allow you through without all the special attacks, armor breakers, instant kill moves, unblockable attacks, ect. ect.

Hell, by that standard even the Guilty Gear series is more accessable to casual players when playing easy then Steet Fighter 4.
Uh.

That's... really interesting, because I don't know of anybody else who had that problem.
 

inkheart_artist

New member
Jan 22, 2009
274
0
0
CantFaketheFunk said:
Uh.

That's... really interesting, because I don't know of anybody else who had that problem.
People have said the same thing in the other thread about this. Even in a few reviews linked from metagamer reviewers hinted at it in their reviews about how wonderful this game is supposed to be.
 

Vortigar

New member
Nov 8, 2007
862
0
0
sevenrings said:
A few tips:

Against chain grabbers: jump straight up or backdash as you stand up. Practically every character also has EX moves which are usable on wakeup if the enemy is nearby (shoryu, spinning bird kick, flash kick, etc etc).

Against Zangief and Abel: play the keep away game. Stay close enough to be able to move in and poke with one or two hits when you get an opening and back away again. They're geared to murder you up close, don't let them get there. Back dash, back jump and fireball spam are your friends.

Seth = cheap. Be cheap back. He's a total bs character, (like I-No's EX boss version with unlimited tension you meet in GGX2#R's storymode with Dizzy) find and abuse their weaknesses as the normal strategies don't apply to these types.


Also, what is playing legitemately? Not turtling? Not throwing five times in a row? Not throwing fifteen fireballs in a row? Why not? The game doesn't care about this. It isn't concerned with what looks cool or nice. Look at the game as you would at Ninja-Gaiden: find the best way to cut the enemy into the tiniest pieces while taking as little damage as possible. The point isn't doing cool stuff, the point is maximizing damage and minimizing risk (and when you get good at this it then leads to doing cool stuff). But above all, the game is about facing human opposition. The AI is nothing more than a glorified training dummy (and a required obstacle to unlock all the characters).

Guilty Gear is constructed around the principle of relentlessly attacking. SC4 is uber masher friendly because properly defending is hard and most attacks leave you in advantage on both hit or block allowing you to keep attacking no matter what. SF4 simply doesn't work that way and punishes you for your mistakes. SF4's AI should teach you that relentlessly attacking is suicide, moderate your attacks, wait for openings and then strike.
 

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
3,245
0
0
sevenrings said:
lotta text
First off id like to say, 2-3 HOURS? Either you were exagerateing or you have much more paitence than me.

Anyways, really SF4 is for SF fans. Ima guess your not one cause to be honest I found this game about average difficulty for a SF game. Really I thought the original SF2 was harder than this game. To put it another way, if you like SF games you'll like this, if you don't, you won't.

The game is tough and I had problems but I've beatten it without to much difficulty. And I am by no means an expert. Heck I can only pull off a hadoken half of the time (not exagerateing).

That being said the games has definate problems. Like I said i'm by no means skilled so trying to pull off the combos in challange mode is an impossible task for me, much less utilizing them in combat. And true, to do that you'd need to be a seriously hardcore player. And yes the grab happy charicters are annoying, though personaly I had more trouble with sagat then zangeif. And the difficltuy need serious tweeking if esiest is only slightly easier than normal.

cause really SF4 belongs to an older brand of fighting game, like king of fighters(or any SNK game really). Where its not so much about intuition and getting in sync with the game (like most 3D fighters), as it is about mastering a set of moves that works and spamming the hell out of them (at least against the computer, human players will work around this if there any good).

But really, you lost to Seth the first round? He isn't grab happy the first round, so it shoulden't be for the same reason you lost to the other 2. He's incredibly preditable, he always dose the dahlsim punch at range so you jump in hit him while he dose it, jump out, and repeat.
 

inkheart_artist

New member
Jan 22, 2009
274
0
0
Eric the Orange said:
sevenrings said:
lotta text
First off id like to say, 2-3 HOURS? Either you were exagerateing or you have much more paitence than me.
No exageration and it wasn't about patience it was about tearing my hair out cause I wasn't going to be beaten by some Russian in oversized tighty whiteys. When I finally submitted, my controller met its demise against my wall (could've been worse I was about ready to throw it at him and destroy my TV before I took a quarter step back and aimed elsewhere)

I haven't been a tremendous fan of Capcom fighting games since Rival Schools. Although I didn't play on easiest when Zangief wiped the floor with me the second time, just easy.

For Seth I don't know. By the time I got to him I would be still so worked up over the grab fags that first round wouldn't work out. Not to mention I only managed to get to him once and on medium.

For Vortigar legitimately means not spamming the the same attack over and over (and only spamming the attack, no moving included). When I have to resort to that the game becomes a pointless and unrewarding grind. When I had to beat Seth and Abel like that the stress of fighting them for so long didn't meet a resolution. Although thank you for taking the time to write those tips.
 

Woe Is You

New member
Jul 5, 2008
1,444
0
0
sevenrings said:
For Vortigar legitimately means not spamming the the same attack over and over (and only spamming the attack, no moving included).
You talk about playing legitimately when no such a thing really exists in a single player game. Especially against a computer that blatantly cheats (in RTS and/or fighting games this is often really evident). If you use codes that turn you invincible or modify the game, yeah, that's cheating. Finding a flaw in the way the AI plays and taking advantage of it? Not really cheating at all.

Speaking of the game itself, it has quite a few things that fly in the face of it being "newcomer friendly". I know, I'm backing my stance here, but now that I've actually played it, it actually feels more complex than Third Strike in some ways. For example, the super and ultra moves require pressing 2 and 3 buttons at once respectively, some of the timing for the combos is a bit ridiculous and the training mode merely teaches you moves, none of the mechanics that go behind them. It does kind of feel like the old SF2 when you play with the old cast (they've nailed the physics of that game) but this really isn't the game that I'd get my non-fighter fan friends to play.

Character unlocks are also stupid and I'm disappointed to see them in the game. I just wanted to brush up my Sakura and fool around with Dan online. Why the hell am I forced to play the boring single player part to enjoy the multiplayer? Stupid, stupid decision.

Another thing is that the long combos that even the practice mode teaches seem pretty redundant in this game. The manual gives an example about cancelling with Ken: you can cancel a shoryuken into another shoryuken. What it forgets to mention, though, is that a fierce shoryuken is actually more damaging than those two shoryukens. This problem with cancelling works into the combos themselves, where you're given a long combo but the damage scaling basically negates a huge chunk of that damage, making a low short into ultra do about as much damage as some of the longest combos out there. A lot of the time that makes actually learning some of the long combos pretty pointless. Maybe this is why it's called beginner friendly?

I'm still enjoying it but it really isn't the experience I thought it'd be. Actually, I think HD Remix is much closer to the user-friendliness that was touted as a major feature in this game.
 

Keane Ng

New member
Sep 11, 2008
5,892
0
0
Vortigar said:
Also, what is playing legitemately? Not turtling? Not throwing five times in a row? Not throwing fifteen fireballs in a row? Why not? The game doesn't care about this. It isn't concerned with what looks cool or nice. Look at the game as you would at Ninja-Gaiden: find the best way to cut the enemy into the tiniest pieces while taking as little damage as possible. The point isn't doing cool stuff, the point is maximizing damage and minimizing risk (and when you get good at this it then leads to doing cool stuff). But above all, the game is about facing human opposition. The AI is nothing more than a glorified training dummy (and a required obstacle to unlock all the characters).
Play to win. Cheap is a word used by losers.
 

ZantetsukenQ

New member
Sep 25, 2008
282
0
0
Woe Is You said:
Another thing is that the long combos that even the practice mode teaches seem pretty redundant in this game. The manual gives an example about cancelling with Ken: you can cancel a shoryuken into another shoryuken. What it forgets to mention, though, is that a fierce shoryuken is actually more damaging than those two shoryukens. This problem with cancelling works into the combos themselves, where you're given a long combo but the damage scaling basically negates a huge chunk of that damage, making a low short into ultra do about as much damage as some of the longest combos out there. A lot of the time that makes actually learning some of the long combos pretty pointless. Maybe this is why it's called beginner friendly?
.
I do believe that the idea of the cancelling is for safety as opposed to offence. If someone blocks the first, you have a way to cancel and backdash to safety, or forward dash to a low attack, and carry on. I do agree that some of the combo's feel pointless, but practicing them is actually improving my speed of execution of other moves. I must say in light of this, that the Challenge Trial mode gets a big kudos from me.
 

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
3,245
0
0
Also am I the only one who was hoping they would fix there old traslation errors. I mean calling Vega Mike Bison SO dose not suit him.
 

Ryuzix

New member
Jan 21, 2009
241
0
0
Just picked it up yesterday, Seth's so annoying >:/
Whats with all the Bisons online?
 

Ryuzix

New member
Jan 21, 2009
241
0
0
Eric the Orange said:
So I was playing this game and managed to beat the second round final boss after a bunch of tries. I thought "wow, normals hard, i'll try easiest and see how much easier it is". but strangly I found easiest to be just as hard as normal. Is this just me, or has anybody else noticed this?
Yeah, I did it on easiest ( I am easily the worst person at fighting games ever) All I got was a spam of Rufus's molestation tornado.