Review: Tron: Evolution

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Jiraiya72 said:
I'll give this a pass. Over all most reviews seem to point to this being fairly mediocre or just barely average.
Yeah, I'll just save up for Killzone 3 or AC Brotherhood

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Vignette said:
Russ, I am sorry but you are absolutely wrong about this game.

Propaganda Games dropped the ball hard on this title. Aside from some pretty graphics, this game is just a little off from being fully broken.

This game has a list of faults?

-Frequently jarring sudden camera angle switches
-Bad level design
-Horrific and overbearing light cycle segments (literally hundreds of events happening in the segments at any given moment)
-Overall, poor handling of vehicles
-Poor control scheme
-Repetitive color scheme
-Poor overall plot direction (and directing of sequences)
-Poor dialog writing
-Painfully bad facial mapping

Of what little online matches I played, they were poorly done. Mixing multiple game types and features into one mode doesn't work. Having the ability to turn on your light cycle during most matches at any moment is confusing. This makes for hectic online game play, that provides no relief or enjoyment.

Possibly the two good parts of this game would be it's wonderfully mastered audio. Sound effects and music match well with the 'Tron: Legacy' soundtrack. Something not to take lightly considering Daft Punk originally created the motion picture's score. (to my knowledge only two of their songs are featured in the game)

The other good part, being the ability to level up your character in single player and online. Had the online portion of the game been better, this would have been a brilliantly utilized feature. Think Call of Duty, in which playing single player gave you more load out options online.

If you have watched one of the movies, this game might apply to you. But this is by no means a worthy game by itself. If you have no idea what Tron is, this will leave you confused and turned off by the franchise.

(Of all the games in this franchise I have played, the non-canon 'Tron 2.0' by Monolith Productions was worthy of a play through. You might consider picking it up on the PC and getting the fan made patch/add-on called 'Killer App Mod')
I was waiting for someone to say this. The platforming at times has been notorious for its constant mis-judged jumps and a constant falling off ledges.
Plus judging from other reviews and gameplays the level design looks horribly limited in that the little hope for a sandbox element in this game has been shattered.

deonte9109

Sep 8, 2010
You kow Im getting mixed signals cuz GI said it sucked but here they say its good.

Youre tearing me apart.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Russ Pitts said:
Review: Tron: Evolution

The movie tie-in game goes through an evolution of its own into something pretty damn good.

Read Full Article
I'm so relieved to see a good movie tie-in, so that people (especially developers) will remember that it can be done. Nearly always, it's a question of timing. You've got to time it to release with the film... or with the DVD... or with some other product. And having that strict a schedule has destroyed more than a few of these tie-ins, especially if the project gets started too late in the game.

One of the best examples of game and movie tie-ins, in my opinion, was Enter the Matrix. The gameplay wasn't groundbreaking or anything, but the live-action cutscenes and story helped fill in interesting (but not essential) information between movies, and the acting was far and above the usual quality for video game cutscenes. Being based on a computer-world anyhow, it was a great candidate for this type of synergy. This could be one of the things that made Tron a good candidate as well.

Above all, though, the cardinal sin of a tie-in is walking you through the movie you just paid to watch. Basically, you bought a low-quality DVD during which you occasionally press A. Rarely does this give you the feeling of participating in the epic story of the movie, because:

1) It's hard to generate a sense of uncertainty during a game, because you've likely seen the movie. You know not just that you win, you know how and when, too. Without adding to that story, or presenting a new story (whether an in-betweener, prequel, or continuation), you cover familiar ground... usually in bland, familiar ways.

2) The enemies are, individually, not as cool as they can be in the movie. In order to pad the content to an "appropriate" length, you've got to pump out countless "fodder" enemies. In some settings (notably, The Matrix and Tron), this can actually work. In most? It just feels like cramming the game with packing peanuts.

3) I don't want to be the movie. I want to be the hero. This is especially true of superhero games. When I buy a Spider-man game, it's not because I want to walk through a Spider-man movie or comic book. It's because I wish I was the damned Spider-man![/b]. This is where games like Spiderman 2 and Hulk: Ultimate Destruction did it right. Yes, you can play the story out, but for the most part it's, "Okay. Here you are. You're (INSERT HERO), and you've got these powers. Go for it!"

4) Rarely do they contain any innovation in terms of gameplay, which baffles the hell out of me. What safer place could there be to try something new? You've got a reasonably-solid IP to back you up, your audience has somewhere to "tie anchor," so this is the best place to hit them with something new and maybe slightly experimental!

At the core, I think what makes a good movie tie-in is one that gets you excited about the characters and/or world... rather than one that simply takes advantage of the excitement generated by the movie. Games that use the context of the movie to provide new story, new styles of play, and new ways to explore the characters and settings for themselves. A bad tie-in says, "Live the movie!" A good tie-in says, "Hope you enjoyed the movie! Now it's your turn!"

DragonChi

Nov 1, 2008
Monshroud said:
I am still waiting to this to show up. I had ordered the Collector's Edition since it came with the mini light-cycle, and being the Tron fan that I am I just had to have it.

I am really happy to hear that the game doesn't suck. I really liked Tron 2.0 back in the day, so I have high hopes for this one as well.
Your not alone, I also HAD to have the light cycle. I'm too much of a hardcore tron fan to pass that up, regardless of how good the game is.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
DragonChi said:
Monshroud said:
I am still waiting to this to show up. I had ordered the Collector's Edition since it came with the mini light-cycle, and being the Tron fan that I am I just had to have it.

I am really happy to hear that the game doesn't suck. I really liked Tron 2.0 back in the day, so I have high hopes for this one as well.
Your not alone, I also HAD to have the light cycle. I'm too much of a hardcore tron fan to pass that up, regardless of how good the game is.
Funny thing, the game arrived last night. Cracked it open and I hate to say I am disappointed with the quality of the cycle and stand. Seeing the quality of some of the toys that are out there and seeing what I got, I feel a bit ripped off. They could have done a better job. I am thinking of buying one of the toy light-cycles and putting it in the display case.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Brainst0rm said:
but owning to the relative lack of depth, it's hard to see it toppling Call of Duty.
Lol, editor-in-chief got owned. It should be 'owing'.

It's also funny that I'm a bit hesitant to post this because of how touchy Mr. Pitts can be.
Nah, you shouldn't be afraid to respectfully point out an error or typo. Everybody makes mistakes. We appreciate the help!

Oh wait - no, forget that. You didn't manage the respectful part. Yikes. Yeah, you're screwed. Sorry.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
I'm confused, the other review I read for this game absolutely murdered it. I want to give it a shot just because it visually looks awesome.

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
I played this at PAX and spent the whole time wondering where there was parkour stupidity in Tron: Evolution. The game just felt stupid and devoid of any originality.

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
The game has everything to be amazing but it misses horridly. The controls are putrid. Jesus, guys, how can this still happen? None of the parkour is innovative. How can they do it wrong? Prince of Persia has done it right. Several times over and over.

How the hell do the testing guys, with that in mind, can go through a fight when you want to wall run for health but the camera keeps autolocking to an enemy behind you not figure something's wrong? Why do they allow such big lag in the camera when trying to aim 90º turns in wall runs? Really mediocre stuff going on in that game and it's a damn shame.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
No real Lightcycle duel, no LightTank vs Recognizer battle? Call me old fashioned but that is a breaker for me.
I was disappointed when the LightTanks were only background dressing in the movie. BOO!

trondis

Sep 28, 2010
Crigler said:
If the game doesn't interest you guys now, I suggest you check out the upcoming DLC, I can't say more but I think we nailed the real strengths of multi with this one ;)
As a follow-up to this post, Disney Interactive (whom I work for) actually just released a new trailer showing off the DLC today - get it while it's hot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nq24dtXBn4

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
Maybe it's because I'm drunk, but the gameplay video didn't seem to match the review. That, plus the tone of voice, made it sound like this was just a paid positive review.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Its only tangentially related, but its too cool (in my opinion) not to post again.
There are some spoilers (OMG! the good guy wins eventually?! *shock!*), but it's for the almost 30-year-old movie. Time to get over it. heh

Ladies and Gentlemen, How It Should Have Ended presents: Tron Rap

OT: Interesting review. I may have to take a closer look at this game. You've given me hope for the future of licensed games. Thank you, Mr. Pitts. And thank you too, Disney Interactive, for at least trying to push innovation in our medium just as Walt did in his.