Review: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
The only thing keeping me away from this bad boy is my computer's graphical limitations. My computer is 4 years old which makes it an 100 in computer years. I shall return and bring myself to level 85.

Lok'tar ogar.

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
Heroics are insanely hard and require near flawless execution, and things like Heroic Grim Batol took us maybe 2-3 hours to clear and a huge process of trial and error.

It's a great throwback to old WoW, it makes Wrath look even worse than what it really was.
I can't wait to start raiding again.

snowfi6916

Nov 22, 2010
I used to play WoW, but I lost my desire to play once I realized it was the same thing day in and day out.

Personally I'm waiting for SW:TOR. Just looking at the amount of detail, time, and planning that is going into it...it's gonna give Blizzard a run for their money.

P.S.- I like both companies. It's gonna be Ali vs Frazier once SW:TOR comes out. Haha.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I myself have nothing against the graphics being a bit dated in the game, since they have added some significant sweet stuff to it without making it a high-end pc only club game.
Since I usually play in the evenings, seeing the setting sun through the trees is a sight to behold.
I am going to miss some of the old stuff but it pales to the chance to get my explorer's hat back on and see some sweet new stuff, especially when I get my license to fly in Azeroth.
That being said, excellent review Mr. Funk, and the Katamari music at the end was a nice cherry on your video review sundae.
I will see you in Bilgewater!

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
John Funk said:
John Funk drops epics when killed. Please don't try to test this.
You've just painted a target on your chest and asked us to look the other way. This will not end well. Especially if it's anything in the 333 level. I gotta look up your loot table now.

80pallydps

Dec 13, 2010
there's an in-flight cataclysm gallery up on soentertain.me (article at http://gaming.soentertain.me/?p=57 ) that's pretty cool. I'm a huge fan, been playing for 2 years and can't wait to upgrade to cataclysm. i've been trying to win it from a few contests that are hanging around (this one is cool http://surgecorp.com/blog/wow-cataclysm-contest/), or swagbuck my way to enough of an amazon gift card to buy the sucker. either way i think it's going to be so amazing, i'll have the WoW dreams all over again.

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
Looks as thoroughly boring as World of Warcraft did when it first came out. I love how the biggest sellers are useless additions and cutscenes. Nice.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Pirate Kitty said:
They can reboot it as much as they like. Won't change anything. We will be continuing to play better games with the other, more thirsty gamers. Release all the unimaginative and strained expansions you like, Blizzard. This puddle won't get any deeper.
Unimaginative and strained? Don't knock what you haven't played. Cataclysm is about 100x more imaginative then the original WoW from 6 years ago. 12 million people aren't going to play a game for 6 years if it's bad. No matter how "addicting" it is.

Anyway, Cata is great, Heroics are challenging, and sometimes painful. I really dislike those stars in Vortex Pinnicle that I can see you fighting.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
I did my first heroic last night, Deadmines, and boy howdy.... that was FUN! I'm serious it felt nice getting back to hard bosses, CC and less Aoe spam 15 minute runs. The gauntlet at the end was amazing. Pretty glad I did Deadmines for my first heroic seeing as how its one of the harder ones.

Great expansion so far. Everything I expected and more thats for sure. First raid of the expansion with the guild tonight so that should also be fun :)

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Pirate Kitty said:
They can reboot it as much as they like. Won't change anything. We will be continuing to play better games with the other, more thirsty gamers. Release all the unimaginative and strained expansions you like, Blizzard. This puddle won't get any deeper.
I would love to hear some of these "better" games you and "thirsty" gamers are playing. Honestly Blizzard knows how to make good games and addictive or not people will quit if a game is bad and apparently WoW isnt. I doubt you've ever even played the game besides a trial, if that.

But seriously, what games are "better?" Besides its all in personal taste and millions love WoW, most popular MMO. If you want to go with games that are "better" and popular WoW takes the cake. I will wait for your list of games that are multiplayer and not just great single player campaign now let me put the game away for years until I get nostalgic.

doctorjackal777

May 25, 2009
A note for people who are just starting but with many quests in areas that have been majorly changed you will find an option to ask 'What happened here' and get some back story which I think is really neat.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
Slenn said:
Cataclysm is well worth more than Starcraft 2. Starcraft 2 was almost a near flop of an RTS in terms of its single player campaign. Cataclysm was innovative in almost every way with the addition of archaeology and the new areas while still keeping up the old vanilla WoW interface.
or your just a wow fan who can't see past wow?

ANYWAY
is this reviewer going on about graphics and it's old?
wtf? I might not like wow but I don't go at it because it's old!
there are older games that keep it's playerbase who don't go onto newer mmo's.

god this reviewer sucks.

Slenn

Cosplaying Nuclear Physicist
Nov 19, 2009
jackpipsam said:
Slenn said:
Cataclysm is well worth more than Starcraft 2. Starcraft 2 was almost a near flop of an RTS in terms of its single player campaign. Cataclysm was innovative in almost every way with the addition of archaeology and the new areas while still keeping up the old vanilla WoW interface.
or your just a wow fan who can't see past wow?
Really? You're going to make that assumption about me *just* because I gave more praise to WoW than SC2? I am not addicted to either game, nor am I a huge Blizzard fan because I have a lot of their games. I tried both games, and when I first played SC2's campaign I enjoyed it quite a lot, but when I got to thinking about it, it felt like I was playing more of a storyline than an actual RTS. In fact most of the new characters (like Tosh and the Doctor) can be completely removed to give room to flesh out the story between Arcturus Mensgk, Alex Mengsk, Jim Raynor, and Kerrigan. Why? Because they contribute almost nothing to the plot line. All they do is act like parts of an expansion pack by introducing more units. This isn't an expansion pack, this is a sequel. The campaign felt like it needed to bring back all the original units (which is cool but it's also waisting a ton of time), and was totally a backlash from what the Beta led me to believe.