Rewrite something's ending to make it freaking DARK.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Bioshock (first)

After the Little Sisters siphon the last ADAM and life out of Fontaine and after you get up and brush yourself off, you hear a door open. Turning around, you see it's Tennebaum.

She walks calmly to the now dead figure of Fontaine and then stops, seemingly examining him with heavy eyes. She pulls out a cigarette, lights it, and takes a long draw from it, still considering the corpse.

After a while, you turn and begin to leave but then Tennebaum says, "I'm surprised that after you were backstabbed once, you so readily trusted me."

You freeze in place midstride. She continued, "It does not matter. Suchong may have been an arrogant, cold man but he certainly knew what he was doing. And Fontaine was smart for thinking of and getting the project underway. But he made a mistake."

She turned to him and began to consider him as well with those heavy eyes of hers. "He trusted in my personality too much. He underestimated me." She began to smile but it was devoid of kindness. "The truth, my friend, is that people do not change. When I first saw you, I saw amazing potential for me. A chance to break free from Fontaine and Ryan. With you being the tykebomb that you were, you were all I needed. And when Fontaine called you back from the surface. When he had you going through all those passageways, routing out and so efficently getting rid of the competition, the flies in the ointment as it were, I thought I would sing. And now here you stand before me."

She took another draw from her cigarette and then said, "I just can't believe though that Fontaine would be as stupid as to get rid of such a wonderful weapon as you. What a waste, but it just made it easier for me. Don't worry. Tennebaum will never throw you away like that. Now, would you kindly exterminate these little ones and come peacefully with me to the Bathyspheres? Sooner or later, the wreckage of that plane will be found and we don't want to keep our inevitable visitors waiting."

-

Sorry if it didn't make sense in some parts. I wrote the best I could in about 10 mins. Oh, and while Jack may have gotten rid of most of his programming with Lot 192, Tennebaum could still rewire him for the Lot to have no effect on certain parts while she was operating on him at the time.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
Hmm ok here we go I'm choosing the third matrix movie:

The machines lied to neo and continue their attack on Zion brutally killing nearly everyone and putting the rest into the matrix-the machines angered and disappointed by the humans decide to make the matrix a living hell-no longer does the matrix program resemble our world but instead each person in the matrix is stuck and chained up in a tiny room repeatedly tortured/raped both physically and mentally without death or ageing.

So how did I do :D?

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
Hmmmm, okay here's an alternate, dark ending for The Brave Little Toaster. Toaster and friends actually died at the appliance parts store. The scenes after this are Toaster hallucinating due to his mind misfiring as he's slowly being disassembled.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Another Matrix ending:
After Neo bargains with the machines and saves the day, it is revealed that this was all an illusion created by the machines to appeal to Neo's delusions of grandeur and keep him from actually rebelling. He is then awakened from his stupor, where he is still naked and hooked up to a machine, but unable to do anything, because he's not the one. He's just another insignificant human.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Persona 4:
Yu fails to stop the destruction of the world and then you see the opening credits to Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
I didn't come up with it, but I always like the alternate ending idea for Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory where it turns out the naughty kids who keep disappearing are ground up and put in the chocolate, which is why it's so good and everyone loves it. That movie had a very 70's dark streak in it in the first place, so it's a perfect fit.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Wall-E loses his memory forever, but maybe show a hint that he still has a little bit left to not traumatize the kiddies.

They don't get rescued from the incinerator in Toy Story 3, Woody sees a flash of all the characters that didn't show up in the movie including Bo, and fade to white. Then, fade in from white to the dump, and where the camera will pan out to show a bunch of discarded toys including multiple Buzz Lightyears, and for the heck of it, throw in some toy versions of other Pixar characters like the cars from Cars.

Or, or, flash forward to the future where you see Woody's hat sitting in a pile of endless trash, to be scooped up and compacted by Wall-E.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
http://www.pentadact.com/2009-04-15-ending-bioshock/

Not mine, obviously, but this proposed alternate ending is about as dark as it gets.

My alternate ending to the Matrix trilogy:

1. At the end of the second film, when Neo exerts control over robots in the "real world", he begins to suspect he never left the Matrix in the first place.

2. This colors all of his interactions with friends and enemies in the third film, with subtle hints of "fabrication" and "unreality" throughout.

3. As he grows accustomed to his doubts, he begins seeing Matrix code in "real life". Ultimately, after some trauma grants him the ability to see only the code, he slowly looks at Trinity and discovers she's a construct.

4. Some sequence of events leads him to a point of decision wherein he can stay inside the Matrix with Trinity or eject himself into the real world. He chooses the real world.

5. He wakes up in a pod. Outside, everything is ruin. Most of the machines and tech obviously ceased to function decades if not centuries ago. All of the other pods appear to house ancient skeletons - including the one next to him marked "Trinity". There is a console nearby indicating he is the only living person within the system, and that the Matrix was created solely for people to live out their remaining days in fulfillment of their wishes - whether they wished for comfort or drama or love. Further, the system was created by people and machines together. They were trying to escape to a better world because the real one is bereft of resources. Everyone was starving and suffering, and this fantasy world was the only way for them to reclaim happiness.

6. At the end of the third film, Neo has another choice. he can re-enter the pod and willingly submit to the fantasy of the Matrix, or he can venture into the wasteland where he will probably die inside of a week. He opts to re-enter.

SadisticFire

Oct 1, 2012
Skyrim because that's mostly what I've been playing now.
The Dovakin dies while she is on her way to meet the Blades, causing the dragons to forever exist seeing no one seems to be as suitable to fight the dragons with the lack of the voice. While the war between the Stormcloaks and Imperials goes on, they begin to assault one and another till one remains, if barely, allowing the dragons to pick off the fraction of the remaining forces, ruining any order left in Skyrim. Now it's just a bunch of isolated towns with few armed and trained people, which would dissolve in conflict and chaos killing each other, turning a populated province to an area ruled by dragons, with only bits of humanoids remaining, allowing the dragons then to just get a few snacks here and there to people who's not in hiding.

TheSchizoid

Oct 28, 2009
Vhite said:
Super Mario Brothers

Princess actually is in this castle. You can turn off your NES and continue with your homework.
Not really dark. How about...

Mario finally arrives at Bowser's final castle and makes his way to the bridge room. After a long, hard battle, a powerless and weary Mario manages to duck around Bowser, grabbing the axe and cutting the tie to the bridge. Battered and out of breath, Mario watches Bowser fall into the fire pit below one last time. Rushing into the back room finds only bones, tattered pieces of fabric and a bloodied, mangled crown.

Hearing a deep, gutteral laugh behind him, Mario swings around to see Bowser looming over him. As the shock of the Princess' final fate fades, Mario begins to rage, seeing nothing but red. Dodging Bowser's initial fireball Mario retrieves the axe and swings it upwards into Bowser's lower jaw. With Bowser reeling, Mario pushes the attack, hacking away with every last bit of strength he has left. When the rage subsides there is nothing left of Bowser but an eviscerated, bloody blob. Mario, exhausted and drained stands there breathing heavily, covered in the blood of his fallen enemy.

As he finally catches his breath, Mario allows the axe to fall to the stone floor, clattering loudly in the silence. He himself follows shortly after, falling to his knees, his head hung low in sorrow. As Mario softly starts sobbing to himself, the screen fades to black.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
TheSchizoid said:
Vhite said:
Super Mario Brothers

Princess actually is in this castle. You can turn off your NES and continue with your homework.
Not really dark. How about...

Mario finally arrives at Bowser's final castle and makes his way to the bridge room. After a long, hard battle, a powerless and weary Mario manages to duck around Bowser, grabbing the axe and cutting the tie to the bridge. Battered and out of breath, Mario watches Bowser fall into the fire pit below one last time. Rushing into the back room finds only bones, tattered pieces of fabric and a bloodied, mangled crown.

Hearing a deep, gutteral laugh behind him, Mario swings around to see Bowser looming over him. As the shock of the Princess' final fate fades, Mario begins to rage, seeing nothing but red. Dodging Bowser's initial fireball Mario retrieves the axe and swings it upwards into Bowser's lower jaw. With Bowser reeling, Mario pushes the attack, hacking away with every last bit of strength he has left. When the rage subsides there is nothing left of Bowser but an eviscerated, bloody blob. Mario, exhausted and drained stands there breathing heavily, covered in the blood of his fallen enemy.

As he finally catches his breath, Mario allows the axe to fall to the stone floor, clattering loudly in the silence. He himself follows shortly after, falling to his knees, his head hung low in sorrow. As Mario softly starts sobbing to himself, the screen fades to black.
Sorry but if you are 8-15 years old, doing your homework instead of playing is the pitch black darkness.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
silver wolf009 said:
I change the ending in a pretty big way. First, I slip in hints throughout the entire movie about a group of about four or five people who've really been getting the short end of the stick. Show them being humiliated and looked down on, as is the key character trait of Sunset Shimmer.

Then, at the climax, in the gymnasium, just as Sunset Shimmer gets the crown and goes demonic, the real changes start to happen. Right as Sunset is gloating about winning, the doors to the gym fly open, and someone shouts, "YOU'RE ALL FUCKING DEAD!"

It's the group. They've burst in, dressed in ski masks and camouflage boots, armed with shotguns, AR-15's, and Colt M1911's, just for irony. There's a moment of shocked silence, before they just open fire. The crowd panics, and starts going down. People are falling left and right, missing jaws and having holes blown through them.

The group just blasts 'em all, killing everyone. Twilight gets away because Rainbow Dash's body fell on her when she got hit in the heart. Once that's done, the four of them finish off any of the wounded. Then, when only Twilight's alive, hidden under a body, they line up, and do as their pact described. Except one of them notices Twilight just as he's about to pull the trigger. The other three go off together, but he gets in one last thing to say.

Looking Twilight in the eye, Flash takes off his ski mask, and simply says, "I'm sorry."

One pull of the trigger later, and all the added in little touches for him harboring depression pay off, and he dies.

They don't know it, but they've saved the day with their school shooting by stopping Sunset.

Twilight just spends the time until the police show up crying in the middle of it all. When she hears the sirens, she picks up the crown, and literally dives through the portal, back home. Ignoring anyone nearby, she turns around, and throws the mirror to the ground, breaking it into a hundred pieces.

The movies ends with her crying in a ball, and news footage showing the scene and the faces of the characters as credits.

Also, new quote of the week: "They saved the day with their school shooting."

Well now that I've effectively assured anyone that looks in this thread that I'm a terrible person, post your own, or, take time out of your day to call me fucking sick. I feed on words like that.
Please, that was vaguely happy, Twilight can return home and still see her pony friends on the other side. She may need years of therapy, decades even, but she can still move on, and the day was saved.

Sunset Shimmer is never seen around the school. Mentions of an army base in the town are dropped...

Sunset Shimmer comes around at the dance, followed by her mind controlled legions of well armed soldiers. Twilight's friends are mercilessly gunned down, leaving only Twilight alive, crying in a corner. As Sunset Shimmer puts a gun to Twilight's head, finger on the trigger, she says, "The fate of Equestria was in your hands, and you just stayed around here, making friends."

Sunset Shimmer walks away from the last corpse, casting a final spell on her unit, making sure they will keep human form when going through the looking glass. The royal guard is quickly overwhelmed, unable to match the technological superiority of their foes. Even Celestia and Luna were shown how moral they really are. From the Crystal Empire, Sunset was able to bring over tanks, jets, biological gasses, all manner of the ingenuity of humanity.

Even nukes. Nothing Equestria, not the ponies, not the griffins, not even the ancient dragons, could stand up to power not even the gods could dream of.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:
silver wolf009 said:
I change the ending in a pretty big way. First, I slip in hints throughout the entire movie about a group of about four or five people who've really been getting the short end of the stick. Show them being humiliated and looked down on, as is the key character trait of Sunset Shimmer.

Then, at the climax, in the gymnasium, just as Sunset Shimmer gets the crown and goes demonic, the real changes start to happen. Right as Sunset is gloating about winning, the doors to the gym fly open, and someone shouts, "YOU'RE ALL FUCKING DEAD!"

It's the group. They've burst in, dressed in ski masks and camouflage boots, armed with shotguns, AR-15's, and Colt M1911's, just for irony. There's a moment of shocked silence, before they just open fire. The crowd panics, and starts going down. People are falling left and right, missing jaws and having holes blown through them.

The group just blasts 'em all, killing everyone. Twilight gets away because Rainbow Dash's body fell on her when she got hit in the heart. Once that's done, the four of them finish off any of the wounded. Then, when only Twilight's alive, hidden under a body, they line up, and do as their pact described. Except one of them notices Twilight just as he's about to pull the trigger. The other three go off together, but he gets in one last thing to say.

Looking Twilight in the eye, Flash takes off his ski mask, and simply says, "I'm sorry."

One pull of the trigger later, and all the added in little touches for him harboring depression pay off, and he dies.

They don't know it, but they've saved the day with their school shooting by stopping Sunset.

Twilight just spends the time until the police show up crying in the middle of it all. When she hears the sirens, she picks up the crown, and literally dives through the portal, back home. Ignoring anyone nearby, she turns around, and throws the mirror to the ground, breaking it into a hundred pieces.

The movies ends with her crying in a ball, and news footage showing the scene and the faces of the characters as credits.

Well now that I've effectively assured anyone that looks in this thread that I'm a terrible person, post your own, or, take time out of your day to call me fucking sick. I feed on words like that.
Please, that was vaguely happy, Twilight can return home and still see her pony friends on the other side. She may need years of therapy, decades even, but she can still move on, and the day was saved.

Sunset Shimmer is never seen around the school. Mentions of an army base in the town are dropped...

Sunset Shimmer comes around at the dance, followed by her mind controlled legions of well armed soldiers. Twilight's friends are mercilessly gunned down, leaving only Twilight alive, crying in a corner. As Sunset Shimmer puts a gun to Twilight's head, finger on the trigger, she says, "The fate of Equestria was in your hands, and you just stayed around here, making friends."

Sunset Shimmer walks away from the last corpse, casting a final spell on her unit, making sure they will keep human form when going through the looking glass. The royal guard is quickly overwhelmed, unable to match the technological superiority of their foes. Even Celestia and Luna were shown how moral they really are. From the Crystal Empire, Sunset was able to bring over tanks, jets, biological gasses, all manner of the ingenuity of humanity.

Even nukes. Nothing Equestria, not the ponies, not the griffins, not even the ancient dragons, could stand up to power not even the gods could dream of.
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh... That's just a bit too far from the realm of possibility for me to buy into. A highschooler, no matter how cunning or resourceful, would never be able to get munitions to outfit a unit of troops, trained or not, get heavy artillery, let alone nuclear munitions, keep it all secret, and get away with it for the length of time she would have.

That and she doesn't have magic without the crown, so there would be no mind controlled unit to train and outfit.

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
The original Super Mario Bros.

Mario triumphantly smashes the bridge sending Bowser to the molten depths and a fiery agonizing grave. He spots Princess Peach at the far end of the holding area and rushes to her. She stands straight-faced and motionless as if she does not even know he's there. Mario pauses a moment, thinking she could possibly be in shock from the whole ordeal. As he moves to take her hand, she slumps forward, falling on him. Mario catches her only to find the sharp end of a Hammer Bros' hammer impaled in her spine. She is dead... and Bowser won after all.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
silver wolf009 said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
silver wolf009 said:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh... That's just a bit too far from the realm of possibility for me to buy into. A highschooler, no matter how cunning or resourceful, would never be able to get munitions to outfit a unit of troops, trained or not, get heavy artillery, let alone nuclear munitions, keep it all secret, and get away with it for the length of time she would have.

That and she doesn't have magic without the crown, so there would be no mind controlled unit to train and outfit.
It all makes sense because... ummm... Uhhh...

>_>

<_<

*Covers plot hole with a blanket*

Reasons.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:
silver wolf009 said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
silver wolf009 said:

It all makes sense because... ummm... Uhhh...

>_>

<_<

*Covers plot hole with a blanket*

Reasons.
Is it a horse blanket?

HA! Wordplay!!

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Scott Rothman said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
Dr Who- Amy miscarries River Song and dies in childbirth. The entire thing is shown. Rory, as a nurse, tries to save them, but fails. The Doctor and Rory blame eachother and try to kill eachother. Rory kills The Doctor by shoving the sonic screwdriver through his eye. Show fades to black with Rory weeping over the corpses in the TARDIS, desperately attempting CPR on Amy's corpse.

That's as ridiculously dark as I dare make it without sickening myself a bit. Still, it would be a pretty awkward tonal shift, especially for any children watching.
Wouldn't the doctor just get reborn?
The problem with Doctor Who is that it utterly lacks anything resembling narrative consistency. To that end, the Sonic Screwdriver will open and door when it is convenient and yet can fail without explanation when it serves the plot. Likewise, the Doctor can be shot and killed during his regeneration cycle, but he can lose a hand only to instantly grow it back shortly after he regenerates or simply grow an entirely new Doctor from the very same hand using the regeneration energy.

In the case cited above, the logical conclusion is that the doctor would regenerate.
hittite said:
Doctor Who - The Parting of the ways.

The Doctor finishes preparing the delta wave transmitter just in time for the daleks to finish murdering everyone else on Satellite 5. The Dalek Emperor taunts him.

"Prove yourself, Doctor. What are you - coward or killer?"

The Doctor's hands tense on the lever. He shakes, his face screwed up in pain. Then, he relaxes, looks up at the monitor and grins widely.

"You know what? The second time really is a lot easier."

He pushes down the lever. The delta wave fries the brain of every living thing in the solar system.

Rose Tyler materializes moments later aboard a dead station orbiting a dead Earth. Since she can see all of time and space, she has just enough time to truly comprehend the totality of the Doctor's failure before the Time Vortex burns her body to ash. The last human in the universe dies screaming.

The daleks survive as they always survive. But this time, there's no Doctor to stop them. They sweep across the universe, exterminating all other life. When there is nothing left to kill they turn on each other. Everything has its time and everything dies.
I think the better conclusion is that the Doctor regenerates after the Delta Wave fires. Only rather than becomming the Doctor again, his repeated history of wiping out entire species finally takes it's terrible toll and he becomes:

Better still, it fits all too well. The Doctor is a man who will sacrifice plenty in the service of a cause. He has, more than once, brought the end to an entire species to save his pet project of the human race. He has proven capable of taking on grim and terrible tasks that serve his presumed idea of justice and fairness. The only difference between Doctor and Master? Perspective. We are never told what cause (if any) the Master fights for beyond a hand wave of "Space magic made him crazy". Better still, any potential paradox is self resolving: the new Doctor turned Master knows exactly how his confrontations with his past noble self are supposed to play out - all he needs to do is play the part. On through the regenerations he'd travel until, one day, there were no more encounters with the Doctor to consider.

Then, at long last, the Butcher of Galifrey could begin his grim work across the universe in earnest. No longer would he be shackled by a fickle need to preserve where possible - a man capable of eradicating his own species as well as his seemingly eternal wards would not be bound by such petty morality. Slowly, across all time and space, all of creation would bow to their new god stitched from the most brutal nightmares born in the old testament cloth. The eternal hero of the universe, a being who has saved all creation on more than one occasion would finally, inevitably, become the very representation of what he fought against all along.

EeviStev

Mar 2, 2011
Scott Rothman said:
The Last Of Us:

Joel let's the surgery take place. Though they are able to take samples of her reaction to the fungus, the 'cure' they come up with only infects people as if they were regularly exposed. Ellie dies from the surgery. An enraged Joel, as in the real ending, takes to killing just about all of the Fireflys. No hope remains.
Similar, and perhaps a tad darker:
Joel still tries to stop the operation, but Marlene, already resigned to let Ellie die for the cure, doesn't hesitate to put a bullet between Joel's eyes as he steps out of the elevator. The operation proceeds as planned, and a vaccine is reversed-engineered. However, those on which the vaccine is tested are infected, but show no outward signs of infection. The Fireflies have succeeded in only creating a new strain of fungus, one which hijacks the consciousness of those it infects, allowing it to spread "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" style. The final shot shows the infected Fireflies sneaking back into the Boston quarantine zone.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
I would rewrite the ending to The Last of Us to have Joel murder a bunch of doctors and screw humanity over for the sake of his own little happiness.
Oh wait.