Rise for This Live Action Assassin's Creed III Trailer

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
DRes82 said:
Jesus H...five pages of whining about the historical inaccuracy of a video game trailer. If you're british and this really pisses you off, you need to do some serious thinking about what you put effort towards. If you're american and you're pandering to the whiners by saying, 'i'm american and i know why you would blah blah blah', you need a damned face punch and a lesson in not being pressured by a crowd.

The Cheezy One said:
As a Brit, I'm trying to maintain an even-handed approach. If they were Americans being slaughtered, I would probably already be praising it as my game of the decade...
Are you fucking kidding me? This kind of sociopathic bullshit is ridiculous! You would praise a game for 'slaughtering' a specific demographic? Right, and I'm sure that you're well balanced and have a girlfriend and don't live in your mother's basement.

This kind of a(n) ass backward nonsense from a video game trailer. This, British escapists, is what should be angering you. Not some lamely written line in a two minute trailer.
Don't misquote me. I said this: "As a Brit, I'm trying to maintain an even-handed approach. If they were Americans being slaughtered, I would probably already be praising it as my game of the decade, so, because hypocrisy is my number one hatred, I need to cool my jets, and accept what appears to be going on. Anyway, being surrounded by Brits, I hate them as much as the anyone."

1: Yes, I was 'Fucking kidding you'. I. Was. Joking. Obviously slaughter based on a demographic is not a good thing, but this is gaming, and unless you are a 'videogame violence' hysterical, there is no correlation between gaming and real world violence with mature adults. I myself turned 20 last week, and have no criminal record whatsoever. So presumably, I'm not going to grab a hammer and take it to a randomer on the street, or specifically hunt down a certain demographic. Although if I did, it would be people that made outrageously agressive comments on the internet, but that might take a while.

2: Would you say the same thing if I was talking about Nazis? Or aliens? No. So stop quoting me out of context and acting as if it proves some kind of self-made point. I was not saying anything about a minority, or inciting any kind of persecution. What I was saying was that I would be reasonable in this discussion, and that while I am a hypocrit by nature, I will work on this to be more accepting of other people's arguments. I am so glad you decided to meet me half way.

3: What was that about being well-balanced, having a girlfriend and living in my mothers basement? Those are stereotypes, and arguments stand up far better without them. And how does where I live affect what my attitude in gaming should be? Anyway, I live with friends in Scotland, where I am going to uni. So your comment doesn't actually apply. My mother doesn't actually have a basement. There were coal mines near where she lives, and the ground is unstable below a certain depth.

Suicidal Zebra

Feb 11, 2011
Lyri said:
I don't know if anyone posted this but time to be a ****.

The American Revolution was over by 1783 when the British abandoned claims to the United States.
The British adopted the Union jack in 1801.

Why was it seen hanging and then dropping from the wall in the court house?
You might want to read a little further down the Wikipedia article. The Union Flag has been around in various forms since the early 1600's, with the most familiar version (that includes representation of the Cross of St. Patrick) being the one that was instituted in 1801. The Flag flying in the courthouse appears to be the earlier version, without the red diagonals, and so could conceivably have flown in Colonial Government buildings.

/pedant

As for the AC3 marketing thus far, I haven't been enthused and definitely smelled more than a whiff of jingoism. That said, I'm not a fan of the series as a whole and so is unlikely to impact on my personal purchasing likelihood.

Ryuzaki

The Public Face of L
Nov 5, 2008
Lyri said:
I don't know if anyone posted this but time to be a ****.

The American Revolution was over by 1783 when the British abandoned claims to the United States.
The British adopted the Union jack in 1801.

Why was it seen hanging and then dropping from the wall in the court house?
I'm afraid you're wrong there. While the current form of the Union Flag has been in use since 1801 if you look closely at the flag shown in the trailer you'll notice that it has no diagonal red strips. These were introduced in 1801 as recognition of Ireland being part of the union, the red diagonal stripes being a symbol of the cross of St Patrick. The design of the Union Flag before this, that was in use at the time of the American Revolution is the one shown in the trailer.

I don't really care for this trailer much, but I think that it's probably merely a marketing decision, a poor one from my view at least, that they have gone with. At least I hope it is.
I hope that the game itself has a more realistic and unbiased view on the conflict and that it lives up to the previous games.

Edit: Well I've been Ninja'd.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
Judging from the almost 200 post count on this thread and all the internet hoopla since this trailer was released I'd say Ubisoft did exactly what they set out to do. Honestly I've seen more people talking about AC now with this trailer then when the game was announced!

DRes82

Apr 9, 2009
The Cheezy One said:
Misquoting
Look man, quoting the entire paragraph is not going to help whatever point it is you're trying to make. Saying that you're trying not to be hypocritical but this is what you believe is a stupid, contradictory statement. Also, of course, I wouldn't give a shit if you were talking about nazis or aliens, for obvious reasons. How does that correlate? A more appropriate question would be "would you get angry if I said the same thing about the Canadians or the Mexicans?", to which the answer would be abso-fucking-lutely.

The Cheezy One said:
there is no correlation between gaming and real world violence with mature adults.
No shit. As a matter of fact, one of the points I was trying to get across was the fact that this is a video game trailer, not some US anti-british propaganda or a serious revolutionary war documentary. So why in all holy fuckdom are people getting so riled up about it?

The Cheezy One said:
Those are stereotypes, and arguments stand up far better without them.
Ok, I'll give you that. It's your lucky day. Besides, I was over this nonsense hours ago.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Unsilenced said:
Also: British troops burned down Conner's village. He kind of has beef with them.
Really? 'cos the Assassin's Creed wikia says it was a "Colonial force" [http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Connor_Kenway#Biography] who did that.

But hey, Colonists, British troops, no difference, right?

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
Templars, Freemasons, American Revolution... Watch the movie National Treasure. (Eh well, I don't really know the Conspiracy theories too well, but I beleive the Templars are connected to the Freemasons.)

I'm still really hoping for this to be a set up for an AC in the French Revolution, with a final showdown with Mecha-Napoleon.

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
algalon said:
So on the US Independence Day a trailer for a game set during the revolutionary war has an anti-Brit slant? HOW DARE THEY! /sarcasm off.

This isn't a game set in the modern era. This s a game set during a war pre-information age and far far removed from the political correctness that is rampant today. Grow a thicker skin and GET OVER IT! So a child born in the colonies in the 1700s doesn't want to learn the history of the country that's oppressing him and his family? Sounds reasonable to me. If someone was stepping on you and ruining your life, would you give 2 shits about why they were doing it? No. Would you want to sympathize with the armies saccing your towns? And if you do, please explain, I'd love to read it.

It stands to reason that British history books might read a little differently than the American ones but do you really want to start this shitstorm over a game trailer? If you hate the game so much, then don't buy it. I for one will be. Not because I'm of the "AMERICA HELL YEA!" persuasion. I'm not a white southern card-carrying NRA redneck. No. I'm buying it for the ship battles!
I like how a lot of the moderate Americans in this thread are basically saying "It's 4th of July, we're allowed demolish all shades of grey and act like foaming mouth patriots today". Why should a crappy trailer be excusable on one day more so than on others?

This is a game set in colonial times but made in a modern era, creative expression does not exist in a vacuum nor should it. It's a product of its context.

Lets look at the "Why should I learn history" line. I'm fairly certain school children's misdemeanors in the classroom were not a major historical factor of the revolution, so it's safe to say that line was inserted as part of the artistic license of the trailer makers. They obviously thought a good way to appeal to Americans on the day of their independence was to devalue the obvious worth of knowing about other cultures that play a significant role in your life (i.e. the one that claims ownership of the kid's own bloody country). In a modern context I suppose they'd justify not learning about China despite the fact that they produce vast quantities of your stuff and control about 8% of your country's total public debt.

Also how can you talk of "oppression" and "armies sacking towns" when I'm fairly certain a fair bit of the former and basically all of the latter only happened during the revolution, not in the lead up to it. America was a British colony, why would they burn their own shit?

Disclaimer for the bigoted: I'm an Australian.

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
Ship battles and field skirmishes, all this stuff shown in E3 and in the trailers, happened pre-war? Looks awfully active for ya know, not being war. At what point is a battle involving troops and formations not part of a larger engagement? So many are dismissing the trailer by saying "Oh all that bad stuff didn't happen until the actual war." In case you didn't notice, a large swath of the game is during the war so stop using the few moments of peacetime at the game's opening as an excuse to play out your own revisionist fantasy.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
I thought it was a pretty powerful trailer. That kid's line who was about to get caned was fucking cringeworthy, but despite that, it was pretty nifty.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Alexnader said:
I like how a lot of the moderate Americans in this thread are basically saying "It's 4th of July, we're allowed demolish all shades of grey and act like foaming mouth patriots today". Why should a crappy trailer be excusable on one day more so than on others?
Because we don't have anything to be ashamed about back than. It was something powerful and worthy of being celebrated. And it being released on the 4th of July means nothing to me. I would have still liked it anyways.

Is this saying that we should be happy about what we're doing nowadays? Absolutely not. The current state of this country's politics and war dealing should be met with objection. But an event that happened two hundred years ago that drastically helped shaped the modern day world is worthy of being remembered. Does this mean I have to be fine and dandy with everything my country has done? Absolutely not. The deaths of the Indians, Slavery, is despicable and evil.[/quote]

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
JoesshittyOs said:
Alexnader said:
Because we don't have anything to be ashamed about back than. It was something powerful and worthy of being celebrated. And it being released on the 4th of July means nothing to me. I would have still liked it anyways.

Is this saying that we should be happy about what we're doing nowadays? Absolutely not. The current state of this country's politics and war dealing should be met with objection. But an event that happened two hundred years ago that drastically helped shaped the modern day world is worthy of being remembered. Does this mean I have to be fine and dandy with everything my country has done? Absolutely not. The deaths of the Indians, Slavery, is despicable and evil.
[/quote]

There's nothing wrong with celebration, however this trailer isn't really a celebration. It's sappy and and a little bit manipulative.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Isn't this time period according to all the Animus Snippets when the Templars stopped using religion to try and control the world and started using economics? I think some people expecting an Assassin's Creed Mel Gibson's the Patriot edition are going to be in for quite a shock.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Yeah, had about enough of this now. Not buying.

By the way has anyone noticed that all the redcoats appear to be English, with no representation of Britain's other countries? Has anyone seen a non-English redcoat or loyalist?

Malty Milk Whistle

Oct 29, 2011
Heh, I don't really have any problem with British people being portrayed as "Teh bad guyz" (If such a term can be applied in a universe as morally grey as AC) but this... jingoism is just painful. I'm really hoping the american founding fathers turn out to be the puppeteers behind it all, and a lowly redcoat says "We only came here to to stop 'em wasting tea..." as he dies.

That would be swell.

On another note, I half expect the bluecoats to be playing with laughing children, whilst an eagle cries in the background with "Stars and Stripes" playing in the background.

Seriously Mr Marketing, Tone it the fuck down.
Or have a cockney geezah talk to his kids on how he's going to be back within a "Arrh of sortin these bluddy colonist aat" (An hour of sorting these profanity colonists out for you non cockney speakers) Only to end up dead at Connor's hands.
MORAL GREY MAN, AWAAAY!

Unsilenced

Oct 19, 2009
Amnestic said:
Unsilenced said:
Also: British troops burned down Conner's village. He kind of has beef with them.
Really? 'cos the Assassin's Creed wikia says it was a "Colonial force" [http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Connor_Kenway#Biography] who did that.

But hey, Colonists, British troops, no difference, right?
If it happened before the war, "colonial force" would mean British.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mMkLzOflc08#t=68s Also, this.

EDIT: Ok, actually look at that thing you linked me. Read it. I don't think you did.

It says that the attack on his village occurred 5 years before the revolution even started.

Unless time-traveling wizardly minutemen were involved, that mean it was the British.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
DalekJaas said:
When I refuse to learn the history of a country I will never see?

What a ridiculous, American attitude. I'm rooting for the British.
Nah, it's a kids attitude. I was the same in school. Hell, I was even worse, I didn't even care about my own countrys history. It was the past, why the fuck should I care?

OT: I liked the trailer. Very nicely done.