Risen 2 is almost out. Does no one care?

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
Holy sweet mother of god...The first Risen was mind-numbingly boring! I played it for a fair few hours and got a decent way into the quest ( On the Xbox 360 ) I just found it annoying. Getting slaughtered by a giant over-sized chicken thing at level 10 because I can't hot key health potions...That and the wolf spam. Everywhere I ran, I had to save and figure out the enemys detection range to avoid them...

As you can probably guess...I'm not going to be looking forward to this, but...I may look at some of the trailers and info for it - I might pick it up when it's cheap ( Then again, Risen wasn't worth the £4 I spent on it...)

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
It's an RPG with pirates. PIRATES!
That's pretty much what I find unattractive about it, I'm seemingly one of the few gamers who's never really been into pirates.

And I didn't really find the first game very interesting, didn't like the combat and it just didn't look too impressive overall.

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
Chaosritter said:
Your sexist attitude disgusts me.
wat

I'm sorry, but that's not sexism. All she said was, if she can't customise her character to make it more suitable for her to roleplay, it's a dealbreaker. All of a sudden that's sexist?

OT: I never could get into Risen, really, but I will buy it. Risen was good, it just... didn't really work for me, I guess.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Aris Khandr said:
I don't recall either of those being RPGs. I'm no saying every game has to have that option. But every RPG should. If you want to tell a story about one specific guy, then drop the RPG pretense and just make an adventure game.
So... because you have to play a specific role in this game, they shouldn't use the term role playing game? Granted, games in general are pretty much all RPGs in some way, shape, or form now so dropping that moniker altogether isn't exactly a bad thing. Most RPGs would probably fall into the Adventure or Action/Adventure category then.

OT: Can't wait! Risen was a surprisingly fantastic game that I purchased on a whim. As long as they updated the graphics a bit, I'm sure it'll be super awesome.

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
defskyoen said:
Dectomax said:
Holy sweet mother of god...The first Risen was mind-numbingly boring! I played it for a fair few hours and got a decent way into the quest ( On the Xbox 360 ) I just found it annoying. Getting slaughtered by a giant over-sized chicken thing at level 10 because I can't hot key health potions...That and the wolf spam. Everywhere I ran, I had to save and figure out the enemys detection range to avoid them...
Oh no, you had to actually learn and make use of game mechanics to play the game and stay alive, bad, bad, evil game, why don't you offer button = awesome ?
I learnt the mechanics. They revolved around me dying. Many times. It's not that I want an instant win button, it's that I lost nearly a third of my health to a small gust of wind, god forbid the enemy actually lays a claw/hand on me...The ability to quickly spam a button and NOT die to a lesser spotted pigeon is pretty much found in EVERY other RPG that I know of.

Hell, at one point I had to lure the enemies back to an NPC village in the swamp to get them to die and hope I could land the killing blow on one or two of the creatures. That's not good design, that's terrible mechanics. Add on top of that the fact that it's story isn't all that compelling and the graphics/animation are...meh at best ( Let's just say some of the 3D models and Animation I've done is better ), it's just an overall boring experience.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I thought the first Risen was really, really awful so I likely won't be picking this up.

EDIT: I only played the demo.

EDIT2: Now that I think about it, I might be thinking of an entirely different game lol.
Was it the one where you start washed up on the shore after a shipwreck and pick up a stick and fight things?

Because the combat was terrible. It felt like an MMO, but really bad.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Dectomax said:
I learnt the mechanics. They revolved around me dying. Many times. It's not that I want an instant win button, it's that I lost nearly a third of my health to a small gust of wind, god forbid the enemy actually lays a claw/hand on me...The ability to quickly spam a button and NOT die to a lesser spotted pigeon is pretty much found in EVERY other RPG that I know of.

Hell, at one point I had to lure the enemies back to an NPC village in the swamp to get them to die and hope I could land the killing blow on one or two of the creatures. That's not good design, that's terrible mechanics. Add on top of that the fact that it's story isn't all that compelling and the graphics/animation are...meh at best ( Let's just say some of the 3D models and Animation I've done is better ), it's just an overall boring experience.
You know that it was always a key mechanic of the gothic games, that you are NOT the mighty overlord, who crushes dragons with his mighty boot.
One of the main mechanics is that you have this really big island, but you cannot go everywhere. Not because some athmosphere breaking invisible wall is blocking your way, or because there is one, AND ONLY ONE, way from one territory to another, but because the enemys there will kill you. In the beginning you HAVE to stay on the street, avoid most enemys and do some quest do get stronger.
You can think about that what you want but some people, like me, like being challenged, it's not bad game design, it's just a bit harder than usual.
Also:
Was the game really that bad and buggy on consoles? I had it for Pc and i didn't noticed any major bugs. I had a great time with it and yes i am waiting for risen 2. (Plus i like that the developer is from my country ^^)

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
It's on my radar, but the first game didn't do much for me. I'm always open to new RPGs though, plus it's about pirates! That's awesome, and hardly a subject matter touched upon in RPGs.

As I recall, Amalur is also getting a pirate themed expansion... hmm does that mean Pirate RPGs will become the new mainstay? 'Cause I could totally get behind that.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Aris Khandr said:
Chaosritter said:
Aris Khandr said:
It looks interesting, but an RPG where you can only play a guy is a complete dealbreaker for me. I just have no interest.
Your sexist attitude disgusts me.
Ask me if I care. There is no excuse for an RPG to not have a certain level of character customization anymore, and gender selection is the very basest form of that. I'm not a boy, and have no particular desire to play one in a game.
I don't begrudge you for not wanting to play Risen 2. That's up to you.

But I completely disagree that custom characters are a requirement. The Witcher games hinges on Geralt after all. Would be silly to make him a girl. The same goes for Cate Archer in NOLF and basically any game with an established character. Deus Ex springs to mind, as does Max Payne. Sometimes the character needs to be set outside player control.

SFMB

May 13, 2009
Actually, Risen2 is one of the most interesting releases for this year. ME3 would have been also, for the ending of the trilogy, if not for EA and their Origin. Diablo III and Darksiders 2 might still make the cut...

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
Risen was a bit rough but still awesome, and I've pre-ordered Risen 2, so yeah OP, there are people out there who care.

Trotgar

Sep 13, 2009
I am interested in it because I love Gothic 2 (especially the way how you totally get your ass kicked unless you're careful, it's a refreshing change from the usual easiness of games) and quite liked the first one. I just hope they implement the pirates and the guns etc. properly into it.

xorinite

Nov 19, 2010
This game wasn't on my radar. Now it is.
The one YT video I watched of it made it look pretty sweet. I shall keep an eye on this one. I just hope its better than the original Risen.

linwolf

Jan 9, 2010
Was interested in the first game, then I learn the game had a 3 machine activation limit. And put the developer on my black list. So no I don't think I will get the second game.