Robert Downey Jr. To Be In Cap 3, MCU To Get CRAZY

Nuxxy

Feb 3, 2011
I don't think it's too inconsistent for MCU Tony Stark, depending on how they do it. He's always been someone who sees things from his perspective first and foremost. That being said:
1] He's always been open about his 'secret identity'.
2] If he is in charge of the registration, his hubris will will convince him that it will all go well when he is directing it. It is during comics Civil War that he becomes head of SHIELD. Tony Stark will believe *his* SHIELD is infallible.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Spaceman Spiff said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Isn't that a little contradictory to the Tony we've come to know in the MCU thus far? Let's not forget that he basically flipped the bird to the government the last time they asked something of him, now he's completely on their side to the point of battling a former ally over the issue?
I had a similar thought about the MCU Stark, but I think he may have a change of heart in Avengers 2 (maybe due to the 'miraculous' twins showing up). It definitely won't be Cap'n on the registration side after Winter Soldier.
A fair point. We'll see how MCU Stark develops with the movie we haven't seen yet.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Sylocat said:
I'm... a little confused as to why they'd be going with Civil War before they get the rights back to Spidey and the X-Men.
Because with this year's X-men film being the most profitable comic film of the year Fox is never giving up the X-men or Fantastic Four. And anyone who suggests Sony give up Spider-man will quickly be looking for a new job.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
I wonder if Banner is going to lose his friggin' mind in Avengers 2, thus needing to be exiled from Earth (since it's rumored he get shipped away, which sets the stage for Planet Hulk and World War Hulk down the line). That paired with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver presumably wreaking havoc and Stark's already close ties with SHIELD might push him towards supporting a Registration Act. Maybe he'll found HAMMER.

Sylocat said:
I'm... a little confused as to why they'd be going with Civil War before they get the rights back to Spidey and the X-Men.
X-men had little to do with the CW. Most were neutral and just glad not to be the ones persecuted for a change. Spidey can be written out(possibly just swap in some other young hero), as can the Fantastic Four since they'll still have Hank Pym to back Stark if needed.

Woulda been kind of interesting if WB didn't move Batman vs Superman. Cap3 woulda been some hefty competition for it, but Cap vs Iron Man? WB wouldn't have a chance.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Ark of the Covetor said:
ravenshrike said:
Sorry but given the events of IM3 the idea that the MCU Tony Stark would be remotely pro registration is laughable.
I'm not so sure. Avengers really messed with Stark's head, and while he appears to be dealing with the personal aspects of that by the end of IM3, they could construct a plausible scenario in which Stark is reluctantly in-favour of "outing" heroes(afterall, it doesn't affect him personally, everyone's known he was Iron Man since the first movie, and he's far more aware of just how big the potential threats faced by Earth are post-Battle of New York), seeing it as a necessary evil, especially if Avengers 2 makes "miraculous" people into a big thing and the Agents of SHIELD/Skye-related speculation is actually a thing which introduces the Inhumans into the picture.
Stark is going to have some character defining moments in Age of Ultron, especially if he's the one who causes the catastrophe. "New York" left him shaken, and that was without any guilt over what happened. He didn't let anybody die. I think its going to be different with Ultron. Pepper may not make it out unscathed, especially if she joins the fight with her new Extremis superpowers.

Timmaaaah

Aug 8, 2009
I like the idea of them sharing a film. They couldn't just keep giving each character separate movies forever in between Avengers films. The civil war idea sounds okay, but for some reason I can't see Stark being into superhero registration. Though now he seems to be kinda filling in for SHIELD while Coulson rebuilds I suppose his views on national security might be changing. He used to have a very anti-establishment attitude when it came to his "powers". They were his to do with as we he pleased. I would have thought it would be the other way around. Isn't the Index essentially a shadowy superhero register?

While the civil war thing sounds kinda cool, I'd prefer to see the films focus on the build up to an Avengers finale around Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet

Also... Though Quicksilver had an awesome scene in Days of Future Past (his absence for the remainder of the film was pretty brain numbing though), I reeeeeeeeeeeally hope that they don't link the X Men canon to the MCU (it was bad enough that the film linked the canons of the old X men films to that of First Class). It wouldn't make sense! Why would a bunch of people be so anti-mutant but still love the other superheroes?

Timmaaaah

Aug 8, 2009
P-89 Scorpion said:
Sylocat said:
Because with this year's X-men film being the most profitable comic film of the year Fox is never giving up the X-men or Fantastic Four. And anyone who suggests Sony give up Spider-man will quickly be looking for a new job.
Both Guardians and Cap 2 have this years X men beat by far in terms of how much of a profit they made. They far surpass it in revenue and each had budgets of $170 mil as opposed to X Men's $200 mil.

Timmaaaah

Aug 8, 2009
Nuxxy said:
I don't think it's too inconsistent for MCU Tony Stark, depending on how they do it. He's always been someone who sees things from his perspective first and foremost. That being said:
1] He's always been open about his 'secret identity'.
2] If he is in charge of the registration, his hubris will will convince him that it will all go well when he is directing it. It is during comics Civil War that he becomes head of SHIELD. Tony Stark will believe *his* SHIELD is infallible.
The stage seems to be set... Stark seems to be leading global security while Coulson rebuilds SHEILD. I wonder if he knows that Coulson is alive yet... He should do by now

Timmaaaah

Aug 8, 2009
Supahewok said:
(Although, I feel like I need a disclaimer to get something off my chest I've been holding for at least a year: LOKI'S STAFF IS NOT A FRIGGIN STONE. Could go into all sorts of reasons why that is, but I'll stick with the simplest: color coding. There are 6 colors for 6 stones. Aside from being fact, it was confirmed in Guardians, when the Collector gave us all his little history lesson: 6 stones with 6 colors are clearly shown. The stone in Loki's staff is blue. It's powered by the Tesseract. Making that blue stone another Infinity stone would just be confusing for the audience to keep track of. Sorry if I seem cross, I've just seen that speculation as taken for fact here and other places too many times and its gotten under my skin. Feels nice to let it out. Don't mean to offend, after all, I'm rampantly speculating here as well :) )
I thought it was a stone at first, but then I went back and watched the Avengers and they mention that his staff is powered by the tesseract. Wouldn't make sense for it to be a stone.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
HOW are they going to do Civil War? It will have to be something other than "superhero registration", mainly because almost nobody in the current MCU even HAS a secret identity.

The world knows Tony Stark is Iron Man.
The world knows Steve Rogers is Captain America.
Thor is Thor and has no secret identity.
Bruce Banner is on the run because the government knows who he is.
Black Widow leaked all her and SHILED's personnel files to the public, so she (and Hawkeye and others) have no safe aliases.
The ONLY hero in the current MCU with a secret identity is Daredevil, and he's on a Netflix series that probably won't tie into the movies.

Civil War would have to be over something different.

RedmistSM

Jan 30, 2010
Did people like Civil War? I haven't read anything from that part of marvel history, so I looked it up on Wikipedia and I don't think this looks any good at all. And the World War Hulk thing, what's that all about? I don't believe any of the characters would act they way they do, certainly not if I'm imagining the MCU versions. I do have some faith that it might be written better in the films though, they haven't done a lot of straight adaptation so far.

Also, I thought they were _already_ doing Infinity Gauntlet for Avengers 3. Frankly, I thought they were going to do it in Avengers 2 until they said Ultron would be in it. Don't just keep pushing it further back, at this rate it's not gonna happen.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
This is probably the first time I've really lamented the lack of X-Men in the MCU. I liked the Civil War story line, but my absolute favorite bit was the heroes showing up on the Mutant reservation asking for help.

Dec 16, 2009
i wonder if an event in Age of Ultron will be the catalyst for registration. would be cool if RDJr became the head of Shield after Cap3

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Timmaaaah said:
P-89 Scorpion said:
Sylocat said:
Both Guardians and Cap 2 have this years X men beat by far in terms of how much of a profit they made. They far surpass it in revenue and each had budgets of $170 mil as opposed to X Men's $200 mil.

LOL yeah your wrong http://boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view2=worldwide&yr=2014&p=.htm

Dec 16, 2009
Trishbot said:
HOW are they going to do Civil War? It will have to be something other than "superhero registration", mainly because almost nobody in the current MCU even HAS a secret identity.

Black Widow leaked all her and SHILED's personnel files to the public, so she (and Hawkeye and others) have no safe aliases.
The ONLY hero in the current MCU with a secret identity is Daredevil, and he's on a Netflix series that probably won't tie into the movies.

aren't there 4 different Marvel shows coming to Netflix? that could add to it if they are included (and i do think they tie in like the TV show), the Marvel U is adding new character's films after Age of Ultron (Antman for example). The TV show could add some Z listers.

Plus we've got a few films that could have actors comment that there seems to be more n more masked heroes/villans nowadays, they dont't all need to be seen on screen before Civil War

ClockworkUniverse

Nov 15, 2012
Trishbot said:

Superhero registration isn't just about secret identity. It's also about superheroes becoming, effectively, government employees.

Tony has historically been against interference with superhero activity in this universe, but he's scheduled to make Ultron next year, so I imagine that will kick the whole thing off ("I really screwed up. We need more oversight.").

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
God, let this be just a total horse-shit rumor. The last thing the MCU needs is to be handcuffed to one of the worst ideas ever put onto paper. Going down this road will kill any momentum Marvel/Disney have already built up. Besides, Mark Millar does not need anymore ego stroking. He needs to have his scrawny, drunken ass tenderized with a cricket bat for the majority of his work (Civil War, Kick-Ass, and Wanted to name a few).

Randomosity

Nov 19, 2009
I'm just spitballin here, but what if they also use this to bring in some new characters to test the waters with them. The kind of characters that otherwise probably wouldn't get their own movie or show. Case in point.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136592-Will-Marvel-Studios-Next-Big-Star-Be-Squirrel-Girl

They could easily introduce the likes of Squirrel Girl with this kind of story line. Not to mention this might be a good way to re-introduce some of the characters Marvel has gotten back like Blade, Ghost Rider, and The Punisher. Gives Marvel a good way to bring back these characters and test them without needing to dedicate resources to giving them their own movies quite yet.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I'm all for the Civil War story to be brought to the screen. It would be a neat way to introduce some lesser known characters as part of the for each side respectively. Sadly the Spider-Man revealing his secret identity piece can't be included, but it would be really cool to also feature otherwise unknown (to the moviegoers) villains too.
I would absolutely love it. LOVE it.
Especially if we get to see this scene:

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
ravenshrike said:
Sorry but given the events of IM3 the idea that the MCU Tony Stark would be remotely pro registration is laughable.
Apparently, the events of Avengers 2 will play into that. This is all rumor, so take it with a grain of salt, but:

With SHIELD gone, Tony Stark is (apparently) now funding the Avengers himself. And it's a disaster, given how his AI turns into Ultron. Lots of destruction and death, not to mention the Avengers themselves fight one another (footage from Comic-Con showed Tony in Hulk Buster armor.) It seems after that, Tony changes his mind about freelance heroism.