Roberto Orci Will Direct Star Trek III

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Roberto Orci Will Direct Star Trek III

Controversial screenwriter will replace JJ Abrams for third installment of the rebooted franchise

With JJ Abrams currently occupied with That Other Star Movie over at Disney, someone else is going to have to take the reins for the third installment of Paramount's polarizing but profitable Star Trek reboot series. Now, after weeks of rumors, Variety reports that someone will be Roberto Orci, who co-wrote the previous two installments with then-partner Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof.

No plot, returning cast or release date have been announced for the film. This will mark Orci's first ever directing credit, solo or otherwise, and also his first major venture after parting (professional) ways with former partner Alex Kurtzman (who has similarly moved on as director of Sony's Spider-Man spin-off, Venom.) The two men started their careers as writer/producers for Sam Raimi and Rob Tapert's Hercules and Xena TV series before graduating to features. In addition to the Trek reboot, they were also responsible for the first two Transformers movies, The Amazing Spider-Man and The Island, among others.

Orci is a sought-after talent but also an often controversial figure in Hollywood, at one point infamous for peppering his (since deleted) Twitter feed with 9/11 conspiracy theories and political rants. He also lost more than a few boosters among Trek fandom when he picked a fight on a message board. [http://uproxx.com/filmdrunk/2013/09/star-trek-writer-roberto-orci-deletes-twitter-account-what-happened/]

Source: Variety [http://variety.com/2014/film/news/roberto-orci-to-direct-star-trek-3-1201180140/]

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Is it possible for a grown man to cry tears of blood or should I go to the dr?

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Wow. This is going to be bad. Like, REALLY bad. This is going to make Man of Steel look like a freaking work of art level of bad. Are Paramount actively trying to kill off Star Trek?

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
I can't wait for this movie!

The fallout surrounding it is going to be magnificent.

mjharper

Can
Apr 28, 2013
Well, I thought the first reboot was action-packed nonsense and couldn't be bothered to see the second, so I'm hardly distraught at this news.

However, I do mourn the loss of Star Trek as a series that anyone cares about. Because obviously, Hollywood couldn't give a rat's arse any more.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Say what you want about Abrams. At least he had a directing style that made the films mildly entertaining to watch. Here is hoping there is a bible he has to follow and that he shuts up and lets the DP and crew do their jobs.

Hiramas

Aug 31, 2010
I found myself with the thought that this will maybe tank the new Series and maybe, just maybe, we could get back to at least in part what Roddenberry imagined in Star Trek? We are in a new golden Age of Television, bring Trek back to where it belongs.

I know, that this wish is not close to reality. If this fails, ST will be dead for a long while. But thats how it is anyhow. There are Fan-Web-Shows that have more heart and art in them than the new movies.

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
Ronack said:
To boldly go where no Trek has gone before: To be considered worse than Uhura's naked leaf dance movie ...
The Final Frontier is my favourite Star Trek film... I genuinely believe its a good film..it just had the misfortune of being written and directed by Shatner. Poor bastard never stood a chance. But yeah...this film'll probably be worse

On topic...ergh. But on the lighter note: lets take some bets!

Which of the Original Series films do you think that this new film will be based on?

I'm putting the safe money on Undiscovered Country
And a little bit on The Final Frontier

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
God I'm sick of reboots and origin stories. I wish people would just try to come up with something new and exciting, and sponsors and studios weren't so afraid of taking chances. Not everything needs to be a top earner, or even profit when they're sitting on a surplus and living in excess. Art and entertainment needs room and support to grow and flourish, and right now we're seeing creative embers snuffed out in favor of fueling marketable rehashes. Fuck the new Star Trek, Into Darkness was shit (albeit pretty looking shit) compared to just about any one of the original casts films. Christopher Pine is awful, Abrams is a self-appeasing fanboy hack that's living his wet dreams at the expense of the entire fandom. I've given up, the cast has no chemistry whatsoever, Yelchin and Urban being the exceptions to this mostly bland mess. I thought the first one was pretty good, but the second one helped expose it's otherwise forgivable flaws.

I just want something with a semblance of originality without seeing it masticated by the goddamn Hollywood machine.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
God help all those who thought J.J. Abrams was the worst thing that could ever happen to the franchise.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Icehearted said:
...Yelchin and Urban being the exceptions to this mostly bland mess...
I honestly cannot think of anyone else who could play Bones any better.

Meanwhile, Star Trek is a mess, I could have maybe lived with Into Darkness if they had cast Naveen Andrews as Khan. I think he could have turned it around.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
octafish said:
Meanwhile, Star Trek is a mess, I could have maybe lived with Into Darkness if they had cast Naveen Andrews as Khan. I think he could have turned it around.
I've always envisioned an older Khan played by Willem Dafoe. Just think about it! Such magnificent madness. Would had been delicious... :(

Although how the reboot turned out to be, not even scenery chewing big names could save it.

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
I don't think the new Star Treks have been that bad, they're reasonably good sci-fi action films that would be better if they stopped simultaneously pretending they were Star Trek and being Abrams's Star Wars audition.

I think Orci taking over will be good in the long run because now it'll stop being good enough to get by and be bad enough that the suits consider starting over. Preferably with a new TV series, Star Trek always worked better there.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Well he couldn't do a worse job than Abrams...
MovieBob said:
...who co-wrote the previous two installments with then-partner Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof.
...oh. Nevermind.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Maybe they'll be less lense flare? otherwise who knows where this is gonig to go in all honesty?