Roberto Orci Will Direct Star Trek III

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
they're trusting Star Trek with a guy who's never directed before? Hoo-boy, this could turn out ugly if they ain't careful.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Scrumpmonkey said:
MovieBob said:
responsible for the first two Transformers movies
That's not a credit, that's a war crime.
The first 2 transformers films brought in Billions of dollars, brought new people to the franchise, and ROTF was the biggest toy line for Hasbro, selling more than Beast Wars, Armada and even G1. DOTM brought even more fans to the series and made more money at the box office than ROTF.

Say what you want about Bay and His transformers films, but they have done more to the franchise than any cartoon or comic could ever do.

OT: I'm willing to give this guy a chance, as someone who enjoyed the first 2 Trek films, i'll see what new direction Orci can do with the franchise.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Eh, I've always liked Abrams' Star Trek movies. The first one was a pretty neat spin on the franchise, while Into Darkness was not as good but still an entertaining film overall. God knows they were better than The Motionless Picture, at least. Hell, most of the original films were worse than them. Orci knows how to make a good popcorn flick, but Transformers made me cringe, so uh. We'll see I guess?

person427

May 28, 2009
arc1991 said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
MovieBob said:
The first 2 transformers films brought in Billions of dollars, brought new people to the franchise, and ROTF was the biggest toy line for Hasbro, selling more than Beast Wars, Armada and even G1. DOTM brought even more fans to the series and made more money at the box office than ROTF.

Say what you want about Bay and His transformers films, but they have done more to the franchise than any cartoon or comic could ever do.

OT: I'm willing to give this guy a chance, as someone who enjoyed the first 2 Trek films, i'll see what new direction Orci can do with the franchise.
But it was the action, CGI, and special effects that did all that, not the writing.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
arc1991 said:

Stephanie Meyers's Twilight has sold over 120 million copies worldwide, translated into at least 38 different languages around the globe, consecutively set records as the biggest selling novels of 2008 on the USA Today Best-Selling Books list, have spent over 235 weeks on the New York Times Best Seller list and spawned a film series that took in over $3.3 billion. Might as well as let her write the next season of Hannibal so that it picks up more viewers, eh?

TheMemoman

Mar 11, 2013
RA92 said:
I can't wait for this movie!

The fallout surrounding it is going to be magnificent.
There's going to be a Plinkett review, an Escapist hour long podcast, the works! It's going to be joyous!

I mean apart from the whole death of cinema and Star Trek thing; but I choose to side with your positive take on this disaster! I've gone full circle on mourning and it's time to laugh about this whole mess.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
TheMemoman said:
There's going to be a Plinkett review, an Escapist hour long podcast, the works! It's going to be joyous!
And let's not forget the incredibly thoughtful essays on thoughtless movies by Film Critic Hulk! Yay!

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Now there is no doubt the third Star Trek movie will suck. -_- If this thing fails epically and Orci still gets to work on other franchises, then I'm afraid it might be time to burn Hollywood to the ground, exterminate the hacks that have infected film-making, and rebuild the industry from scratch.

CGAdam

Nov 20, 2009
Orci helped run Transformers Prime, the best thing to come out of the reboot. He had nothing to do with Kahn II, and the first TF movie was decent. He's got enough brownie points built up for me to wait for the first trailer before I write this one off. Some of us should try that sometime.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
person427 said:
arc1991 said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
MovieBob said:

But it was the action, CGI, and special effects that did all that, not the writing.
Because Transformers is known to have "Amazing" writing right? I'm a fan of the cartoons but they are hardly written the best, the only 2 that had good writing was Beast Wars and TFPrime.

RA92 said:
arc1991 said:

Stephanie Meyers's Twilight has sold over 120 million copies worldwide, translated into at least 38 different languages around the globe, consecutively set records as the biggest selling novels of 2008 on the USA Today Best-Selling Books list, have spent over 235 weeks on the New York Times Best Seller list and spawned a film series that took in over $3.3 billion. Might as well as let her write the next season of Hannibal so that it picks up more viewers, eh?
No idea how Stephanie did it, she must be some sort of witch >.>

But seriously most of them sales would have happened after the film and would of been like 12 years old... i hadn't even heard of Twilight until the films.

Transformers has built it's franchise over 30 years, and for the movies to bring in so much more into the franchise is a prety big achievement, the films had to be the way they are so they could appeal to everyone and not just the fans. I'mnot saying they are perfect but i'm sick of so many complaining about them. The movies have done nothing different that the cartoons don't do. Nothing spectacular in the writing department, but having giant transforming robots kicking the shit out of eachother.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
CGAdam said:
Orci helped run Transformers Prime, the best thing to come out of the reboot. He had nothing to do with Kahn II, and the first TF movie was decent. He's got enough brownie points built up for me to wait for the first trailer before I write this one off. Some of us should try that sometime.
^Also 100 and 10% this.

TFPrime was so good!

xD Sorry for the links, love the show!

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
MovieBob said:

Orci is a sought-after talent but also an often controversial figure in Hollywood, at one point infamous for peppering his (since deleted) Twitter feed with 9/11 conspiracy theories and political rants.

I feel like this should be a bigger deal...

like I just found out what a nut this guy was during the ensueing "why does asm2 suck so hard" discussions, I sort of feel like this kind of lunacy should disqualify you for a lot of work particularly writing movies for major companies and franchises. i'd expect people who think like this idiot to be relegated to uwe boll status and only allowed to make direct to dvd insanity movies. I mean if you watch the movies he's made they are clearly littered with references to this particular insanity of his. transformers, star trek, spiderman, I've always really disliked these movies and you can clearly see the similarity between all of them. so the question becomes why is he allowed to continue working?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
That Other Star Movie over at Disney
Disney's finally making the long-awaited Star Search movie?

Adzma said:
Wow. This is going to be bad. Like, REALLY bad. This is going to make Man of Steel look like a freaking work of art level of bad. Are Paramount actively trying to kill off Star Trek?
This seems a little over-the-top.

Hiramas said:
If this fails, ST will be dead for a long while. But thats how it is anyhow.
Well, yeah. Star Trek was dead before the reboot. The absolute worst case scenario is it goes back to that (or remains that way, if you're really put off by Star Trek Into Mystery Box).

arc1991 said:
Because Transformers is known to have "Amazing" writing right? I'm a fan of the cartoons but they are hardly written the best, the only 2 that had good writing was Beast Wars and TFPrime.
On the flip-side, Transformers managed to make big stompy robots boring, something even most of the poorly-written shows didn't. I'm not sure that was the writing, but I do think maybe there's something here.

On the other hand....

CGAdam said:
Orci helped run Transformers Prime, the best thing to come out of the reboot.
He did? I really enjoyed Prime.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
So I looked up the guys film history and he does have some good work behind him in areas: As a writer and Producer.

He's never directed anything before. So, love the new films or hate them, why is a money making blockbuster franchise being given over to a guy who has never directed anything of importance before? Last time we did that we got Star Trek Nemesis.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
marscentral said:
I don't think the new Star Treks have been that bad, they're reasonably good sci-fi action films that would be better if they stopped simultaneously pretending they were Star Trek and being Abrams's Star Wars audition.

I think Orci taking over will be good in the long run because now it'll stop being good enough to get by and be bad enough that the suits consider starting over. Preferably with a new TV series, Star Trek always worked better there.
Err if its bombs hard enough paramount might consider shelving the franchise for the next couple of decades rather than trying out a TV series.

But I agree that it would be better if they went with a TV series. Part of what made the TOS movies work was that they were a continuation of the original TV series and therefore didn't have to cram a bunch of character building into 2 hours because a lot of that was already done in the TV series.

Anyway I don't really know what to think of this. On one had its someone other than JJ Abrams. As a longtime Trek fan I actually enjoyed the first reboot film and thought the reboot series showed potential despite the flaws of the movie. Unfortunately, "Into Darkness" was very disappointing for me and it really showed the JJ Abrams isn't the right guy for Star Trek

On the other hand this new guy's list of credits doesn't sound very promising. While he does have some good stuff like the Hercules and Xena TV series and Transformers Prime, that fact that he was a writer for two ST reboot movies, TF 1-2, ASM2, and The Island has me a bit worried to say the least.

Plus does anyone else remember the last time Paramount hired someone with no prior directing experience to direct a Star Trek Movie?
yeah you can probably see where I'm going with this

Oh well like always I'll wait and see how this pans out.

Fortyseven203

Sep 25, 2008
octafish said:
I honestly cannot think of anyone else who could play Bones any better.
And, naturally, he's among the guys that gets used the least. They purposely rejected the chemistry of Kirk/Spock/Bones to streamline things. Trek'09 is purely the Kirk and Spock show, while McCoy just stands there with his arms folded and spouts a catchphrase here and there. Deeply angering.