Rogue Squadron (Patty Jenkins, Christmas 2023)

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States

Still sticking with that safe place around the original trilogy, I see. Like the sequel trilogy, Rogue One, Solo, The Mandalorian. Wish they'd jump to another age.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Okay, this should be blowing my mind, but... how are they going to do Rogue Squadron after writing Wedge Antilles' involvement in Rogue Squadron post-Hoth out of canon?

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Still sticking with that safe place around the original trilogy, I see. Like the sequel trilogy, Rogue One, Solo, The Mandalorian. Wish they'd jump to another age.
Uh
In Kathleen Kennedy’s announcement, she said that Jenkins’ film will explore a new, previously unexplored era of “Star Wars” lore set in the future beyond “The Rise of Skywalker.” In a statement on StarWars.com, Lucasfilm said “Rogue Squadron” will “introduce a new generation of starfighter pilots as they earn their wings and risk their lives in a boundary-pushing, high-speed thrill-ride, and move the saga into the future era of the galaxy.”
Did you not read an article about it before posting a thread?

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Uh

Did you not read an article about it before posting a thread?
No, the thread I read didn't have any article. It's still the same age or time period. If we're talking about a span of many years. Like the Middle Ages or the Victorian era. They're so afraid to leave the original aesthetic. I think it would breathe some fresh life into the series.

Last edited:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
IMO The Rogue Squadron books, with Admiral Thrawn trilogy, were some of the best of the EU. Considering Thrawn is in Mando, I have hoped they add some Wedge stuff.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Oh, looks like I may get my wish after all should be fun..."after Rise of Skywalker"...what? Who are they going to fight then, the Empire has been destroyed two times over at this point!

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
There are a bunch of other projects.

Last August at D23 Expo, Lucasfilm announced the return of Ewan McGregor in the iconic role of Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi for a special event series on Disney+. Officially titled Obi-Wan Kenobi, the series begins 10 years after the dramatic events of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith where he faced his greatest defeat, the downfall and corruption of his best friend and Jedi apprentice, Anakin Skywalker turned evil Sith Lord Darth Vader. The series is directed by Deborah Chow, who helmed memorable episodes of The Mandalorian Season 1.

This will truly be a day long remembered, as it was confirmed that Hayden Christensen will be returning as Darth Vader. “This will be the rematch of the century,” Kennedy said.

“It was such an incredible journey playing Anakin Skywalker,” said Christensen. “Of course, Anakin and Obi-Wan weren’t on the greatest of terms when we last saw them… It will be interesting to see what an amazing director like Deborah Chow has in store for us all. I’m excited to work with Ewan again. It feels good to be back.”
Making Vader and Obi-Wan meet between the two trilogies is such a bad idea.

"When I left you, I was but the learner..."

They sure love their retcons.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Oh, looks like I may get my wish after all should be fun..."after Rise of Skywalker"...what? Who are they going to fight then, the Empire has been destroyed two times over at this point!
The even greater and more secreter Empire ruled by the true og Sith that's always been there manipulating everything from the shadows, of course.

There's an endless conga line of those, just waiting for a brave writer to pull one out of his rectum.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
The even greater and more secreter Empire ruled by the true og Sith that's always been there manipulating everything from the shadows, of course.

There's an endless conga line of those, just waiting for a brave writer to pull one out of his rectum.
They just roll out Palpatine's corpse again, because remember, no one is ever really gone.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
No, the thread I read didn't have any article. It's still the same age or time period. If we're talking about a span of many years. Like the Middle Ages or the Victorian era. They're so afraid to leave the original aesthetic. I think it would breathe some fresh life into the series.
The problem is that every time they have moved away from the OT timeframe, they just rehash it again. I've lost count of the number of "Like the Empire But.." variants they've established in the timeline. They have a planet killer of some variation, they are led by some sith force users, and a mixture of jedi/non-jedi, rally together to beat them. So frankly, I don't really care when they set any of this stuff, because it doesn't seem to actually mean they will write anything different.

I do agree that always orbiting the OT, so they can make references to give the fanboys a callback orgasm, get's really tiring (the worst culprit of this being Rogue One), but I mean....shit even in the Old Republic, they would still constantly make "i've got a bad feeling about this" and "hope" references, and have characters that are carbon copies of the OT cast. So yeah, they just recycle the same shit ad naseum, because it sells.

Reactions: Ezekiel

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
The problem is that every time they have moved away from the OT timeframe, they just rehash it again. I've lost count of the number of "Like the Empire But.." variants they've established in the timeline. They have a planet killer of some variation, they are led by some sith force users, and a mixture of jedi/non-jedi, rally together to beat them. So frankly, I don't really care when they set any of this stuff, because it doesn't seem to actually mean they will write anything different.

I do agree that always orbiting the OT, so they can make references to give the fanboys a callback orgasm, get's really tiring (the worst culprit of this being Rogue One), but I mean....shit even in the Old Republic, they would still constantly make "i've got a bad feeling about this" and "hope" references, and have characters that are carbon copies of the OT cast. So yeah, they just recycle the same shit ad naseum, because it sells.
I mean, that's all the old books in a nutshell too. Always another sith, always another warlord, always another sun crusher

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
[QUOTE="Ezekiel, post: 70533, member: 261" Wish they'd jump to another age.
[/QUOTE]
So do I. I think it would be interesting to see what they could do with a universe set several hundred or thousand years after the OT age. That would be plenty of time for new force users groups to emerge (other than Jedi and Sith), new governments and factions to rise to power and for the events of the movies to fade into myth and legend.

Reactions: Ezekiel

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I mean, that's all the old books in a nutshell too. Always another sith, always another warlord, always another sun crusher
Right, hence why it doesn't really bother me TOO much when they keep orbiting the OT timeline, and just rehash the same stories for fan service. Because even when they go back 5 THOUSAND YEARS....it's still the same template.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Found Monster (2003) very good and Wonder Woman kind of mediocre. Those are the only Patty Jenkins movies I watched. With her 14 year break between Monster and Wonder Woman, she doesn't have enough of a filmography for me to dislike or like her style. Kind of wish she would go back to smaller projects, though.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Making Vader and Obi-Wan meet between the two trilogies is such a bad idea.

"When I left you, I was but the learner..."

They sure love their retcons.
When I heard the news, I originally thought that Hayden would be playing Anakin in flashbacks, or perhaps some Force vision. But what they said sure sounds like they'll be meeting as Ben Kenobi and Vader, and I am definitely not a fan of thought. But we can still have some hope I guess. I would like to see Hayden taking cues from Clone Wars and make live action Anakin actually likeable.

Anyway, yeah I'm not entirely sold on Patty Jenkins. I liked Wonder Woman, but upon rewatching it, a lot of the enjoyment I got out of the movie was just seeing Wonder Woman brought to life. The new Wonder Woman movie looks a little off. Oh well, if Wonder Woman 2 bombs we can fully expect to see her getting sacked, like the GoT writers and Colin Trevorrow.