Rogue Squadron (Patty Jenkins, Christmas 2023)

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Production delayed to 2022.

I just hope Jenkin's father being a pilot bestows her with some respect for dogfighting and prevents her from doing some utterly ridiculous crap, like Poe taking out ten TIE Fighters in seventeen seconds. Give me dogfights that feel like dogfights. Don't give the heroes this precognition and luck that allows them to line up their enemies wherever they turn.

One of the worst moments in The Force Awakens. If Rogue Squadron is like this, I'll skip it.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Erich Hartmann is the most successful fighter pilot of all time. He participated in aerial combat 825 times and shot down at least 352 aircraft. On average that's 2.34 kills per mission. His most successful day was when he shot down eleven aircraft in two missions. Shooting down 10 aircraft that were all flying in different directions in 17 seconds, even stretching that time out for the slower speed of his plane and even giving the Russian planes weaker hulls, would have been completely ridiculous. No one has that kind of precognition, quick accuracy and luck. A spaceship also has to follow certain rules, and the X-Wings were never that maneuverable. I realize this is a movie, but some authenticity is still needed.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Production delayed to 2022.

I just hope Jenkin's father being a pilot bestows her with some respect for dogfighting and prevents her from doing some utterly ridiculous crap, like Poe taking out ten TIE Fighters in seventeen seconds. Give me dogfights that feel like dogfights. Don't give the heroes this precognition and luck that allows them to line up their enemies wherever they turn.

One of the worst moments in The Force Awakens. If Rogue Squadron is like this, I'll skip it.
What kind of pilot was her father?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
It's explicitly stated to take place after Rise of Skywalker IIRC.
No, the thread I read didn't have any article. It's still the same age or time period. If we're talking about a span of many years. Like the Middle Ages or the Victorian era. They're so afraid to leave the original aesthetic. I think it would breathe some fresh life into the series.
I kind of agree, but Star Wars has always had a stagnant level of technology. It doesn't matter what the time period is, the aesthetic may change, the fundamentals won't.

Oh, looks like I may get my wish after all should be fun..."after Rise of Skywalker"...what? Who are they going to fight then, the Empire has been destroyed two times over at this point!
You're dealing with a galaxy that's in a complete power vacuum. Whatever faction you belong to, you're going to need some firepower.

Or at least, that's one premise. If they just bring back a New(er) Republic, then, well...

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Just gonna come out and say it. I think Patty has made exactly one good movie. While I understand that WB is prone to meddling, she came out and said WW84 was her vision so she can take the blame for that hot mess. I also was not particularly impressed with the original WW. I thought it was pretty by-the-numbers and felt, and continue to feel like, Wonder Woman is portrayed as kind of an idiot in both films. I don't think it'll age well when the nostalgia for a functioning Wonder Woman movie wears off, not to mention the Justice League Animated version was far superior.

I really have no interest in this explicitly because she's attached. Whatever bullshit media spin there is I don't believe for a second she gives a shit. I'm sure Disney just spun the algorithm and picked her to sell diversity, which is sad. I'm all for diversity, but make the shoe fit. fuck.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Just gonna come out and say it. I think Patty has made exactly one good movie. While I understand that WB is prone to meddling, she came out and said WW84 was her vision so she can take the blame for that hot mess. I also was not particularly impressed with the original WW. I thought it was pretty by-the-numbers and felt, and continue to feel like, Wonder Woman is portrayed as kind of an idiot in both films. I don't think it'll age well when the nostalgia for a functioning Wonder Woman movie wears off, not to mention the Justice League Animated version was far superior.

I really have no interest in this explicitly because she's attached. Whatever bullshit media spin there is I don't believe for a second she gives a shit. I'm sure Disney just spun the algorithm and picked her to sell diversity, which is sad. I'm all for diversity, but make the shoe fit. fuck.
It's even sadder that she apparently can't even do action scenes without Zack Snyder's help. Star Wars films can aspire to be more, but we all know they're action movies at the core.

WW84 was just so catastrophically bad, and so proudly stated to be her own vision. Apparently even going against the studio's wishes at some point. I really can't but help think she was the diversity pick as well. Honestly I can see her getting the boot, just like the GoT writers did after Season 8(?) was so poorly received.

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
It's explicitly stated to take place after Rise of Skywalker IIRC.

I kind of agree, but Star Wars has always had a stagnant level of technology. It doesn't matter what the time period is, the aesthetic may change, the fundamentals won't.

You're dealing with a galaxy that's in a complete power vacuum. Whatever faction you belong to, you're going to need some firepower.

Or at least, that's one premise. If they just bring back a New(er) Republic, then, well...
If it’s after RoS then I hope the new villain isn’t a empire/first order retread. Give us something new or not used as much from old lore.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I have nothing against Patty Jenkins and I love both Wonder Woman (yes, even with WW '84 flaws) movies, but I am just not interested. Like I said, Rise Of Skywalker burned me out pretty badly, but I enjoyed Visions. If I hear good word of mouth, I might get invested.

Reactions: Fallen Soldier

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
If it’s after RoS then I hope the new villain isn’t a empire/first order retread. Give us something new or not used as much from old lore.
I wouldn't mind the First Order being present, just not as THE threat, so to speak. An Empire 2.0 is boring, but Empire remnants that remain dedicated as part of many factions in a power vacuum? That could work.

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
I wouldn't mind the First Order being present, just not as THE threat, so to speak. An Empire 2.0 is boring, but Empire remnants that remain dedicated as part of many factions in a power vacuum? That could work.
Maybe but at this point I’m kinda done with the empire or any imperial successors. I would like to see a new threat emerge for future films.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Maybe but at this point I’m kinda done with the empire or any imperial successors. I would like to see a new threat emerge for future films.
If there's Episode X-XII, sure, maybe, but for the context of this film, I'd go with a power vacuum. Have "a" threat Rogue Squadron needs to deal with, but stay clear from any big bad, at least for now.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
If there's Episode X-XII, sure, maybe, but for the context of this film, I'd go with a power vacuum. Have "a" threat Rogue Squadron needs to deal with, but stay clear from any big bad, at least for now.
A Rogue Squadron movie could literally be that jailbreak episode of Mandolorian just about those X-Wing pilots who blow the smuggler’s station up and not Mando. Like, that’s it.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
Do you want the Yuuzhan Vong? Because that’s how we get the Yuuzhan Vong.
The Yuzang Vong is conceptually an ok idea but ended up being stupid. What is even stupider is having the series set in a single galaxy and having a galaxy spanning empire/republic. It pretty much ensures that only these two factions will ever be represented. Disney should have retconned some stuff and had more factions that could oppose the empire/republic.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Who jigga what? Is that something that happened in the EU novels?
After decades of dealing with improbably dangerous imperial remnants with planet/Star killing super weapons and having Luke and the kids ping-ponging between light and dark sides, the writers figured out that they needed a new threat

So they came up with an extra-galactic bad guy who used force-and-lightsaber-resistant bio-tech, crashed a moon into Chewbacca, (turning Han into a useless drunkard, thanks R.A. Salvatore) and gave some fodder for the "maybe the empire had a point" apologists.

It's wisely regarded as some of the worst writing in the decades worth of very bad EU writing

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
After decades of dealing with improbably dangerous imperial remnants with planet/Star killing super weapons and having Luke and the kids ping-ponging between light and dark sides, the writers figured out that they needed a new threat

So they came up with an extra-galactic bad guy who used force-and-lightsaber-resistant bio-tech, crashed a moon into Chewbacca, (turning Han into a useless drunkard, thanks R.A. Salvatore) and gave some fodder for the "maybe the empire had a point" apologists.

It's wisely regarded as some of the worst writing in the decades worth of very bad EU writing
This why I am glad I never bothered with the novels. I am sure there are some good ones out there, but it sounds like 98% of these "books" are bad fan fiction.

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
Do you want the Yuuzhan Vong? Because that’s how we get the Yuuzhan Vong.
Had to look those up because I’m not too familiar with Star Wars EU. I guess something like them if done right. I’m just tired of the generic empire faction.