Role-Playing Grandmother Misses Release of Dragon Quest VI

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I wonder if someone will tell Enix...They might be nice and put a copy over her grave, as a donation. Who says the soul of a DS doesn't exist, eh? It could transcend, and become an ethereal version, allowing her to play in the afterlife. Or, they could send a close grandchild the game, with a note "Play it for her". That would be interesting.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Well, ostensibly she got to play Dragon Quest V, which some might argue is the better of the two games.

On another note, thank god cartridge era localization politics have largely vanished. Nintendo Power circa 1995-6 was home to some of the most tantalizing previews that never were. In particular, I remember seeing a feature previewing upcoming SNES RPGs like Tales of Phantasia and some SNES version of Shiren the Wanderer. Sad days as we waited out the end of the SNES lifespan for those games.

Scout Tactical

Jun 23, 2010
Most of us wait a few years for a game after it's announced. She waited fifteen and died before it was launched. Terribly depressing.

PaulaG

Jun 16, 2009
Paksenarrion said:
As a Roman Catholic, I would like to believe that she is in Heaven, playing every game she could wish, but in full-immersion. She plays as herself, and her avatar is as young and capable as she was in her wildest years, and her mind as sharp as it was before her death. She is adventuring and leveling up right now, with the knowledge that, when the rest of her loved ones finally arrive at the Character Creation Room of St. Peter, she will be high enough level to show them the ropes.

Keep on Grinding, Grandmother.

Once a Gamer, always a Gamer.
I like the way you think.

OT: This is sad....to look forward to something for so long and not get to see it...by a mere month and a half! I think we all hope there are games in heaven and that they all rock!

Also, I definitely want to be like her when I'm 73! My Dad is like that (he rocks at MarioKart and Mario Galaxy) and he's 63!

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Tom Goldman said:
Morbidly, her unfortunate situation gets you wondering what games we'll all miss by a sliver when we die. If I never get to play Elder Scrolls XII, I'm going to be very annoyed.
I've wondered that myself. I was driving with my dad, (taking him to a surgery far from his house) who's in his seventies and he asks me "And what's that?" I said "What?" he says "That... gamestop?" I told him "It's a shop that sells only video games." As he and my mom proceeded to argue over whether his reaction of "How terrible" was justified I got to thinking about how adults now acceptably play video games, people play more video games and we will likely be playing into the future. Conceivably day will come where I don't get to play a release I was looking forward to. Wonder what it will be? At any rate I'll probably have bigger concerns at the moment

Poor old girl. Well she sounds like she was pretty cool all the same. Wonder what other games she liked? Hope she played mass effect. It was one not to be missed.

Tssha

May 8, 2009
Hey, let's not forget that she lived to be 91 years old. That's no small achievement. She probably gamed all 14 years since that article, played with her grandchildren, shared a lot of memories, and played a lot of good games. Sure, Dragon Quest VI may have been part of her regret list, but an unlived life was certainly not. By the sounds of it, it was a pretty full one.

Man, if I leave an obituary half as good, I'll die happy. When you look around at the smiling faces around you, the family you've left behind...you know you can die happy. They'll miss you for sure, but you did all you could for them, were there for them as long as you lived, and lived your life the way you wanted it. Surely, who could ask for more?

...well, okay...maybe Square Enix should make a donation in her name at the charity mentioned in the obituary. It's the least they could do. ;)