Roleplaying The Old Republic

Arkayn

Feb 1, 2011
I actually bought and read Yahtzee's book Mogworld and I have to say it is decent. The main character had a unique yet cynical personality and the ending was fulfilling as far as closure is concerned.
Worth checking out.

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
Sentox6 said:
jawakiller said:
Old Republic was shitty Yahtzee, everybody knows that.
I didn't get the memo.
Perhaps you haven't played it yet. Or you like bad games based on decent ones. Not sure which but I'll I'll assume the former.

DkFox

Nov 23, 2011
I love the shameless self plug for MOGWorld - which I must say I bought last week!

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
jawakiller said:
Perhaps you haven't played it yet. Or you like bad games based on decent ones. Not sure which but I'll I'll assume the former.
Perhaps you just don't understand that your opinion is subjective and not universal. Or... no, we'll go with that.

KarlMonster

Mar 10, 2009
"The Anti-Life Equation"

BUZZ!

Wrong!

Yahtzee did not make that up. It is from a horrible old terminator-esque sci-fi movie called "Abraxas" starring Jesse "the Body" Ventura. Only worth seeing if you're curious how long the terminator type story has been around.

As for all the conversation about what is, and what is not interesting, I have to plead a tin ear. During November (National Novel Writing Month), I had my fill of critiquing other people's fantasy stories.

So why did/do I find them uninteresting? Ummm...

Maybe it is because I don't find such fantasy stories novel anymore. There was the story where the strapping 20-something boy was sleeping in, despite what his father wanted. So that was a Fantasy setting, but with behavior common to the shitty real world. Then there was a story about multiple relationships going bad all at the same time. It sounded like a preview of next year's 'reality' television shows. For that one, why have a fantasy setting at all? So I'll pass on that too.

So Yahtzee did up a character for his smuggler, but its someone who goes to work every day? Well, I sorta dig the drug thing, I'll respect adding flaws to the character. Yet, unless he brings tears to my eyes with tales of this crippling drug addiction in his next book... then yeah, I'll pass on that too.

Illesdan

Sep 15, 2008
Sorry, Yahtzee, but made a major misstep here.

If you have an understanding of the fictional world that the character is based in, you can see how the person's character fits into the world and how unique/bland the person's alter ego is in this realm. Be it D&D, Vampire:The Masquerade or SW:TOR. I had a friend just last night start to rave about how great 'role-playing' on TOR is, and frankly, I didn't give a shit about THAT. Here's why:

I never got into Star Wars, and, therefore, don't have a good working knowledge of the universe the character he was about to talk about was set in.

I have been playing MMO's for almost a decade, and I STILL don't know how people can get into 'role-playing' online. I think far too much is lost when you can't focus in on the nuances of the person speaking to you, their body language as they sit across from you, and overall PERSONAL interaction with REAL people. This is why Pen and Paper role-playing will always be superior to online role-playing. It's not all about hack and slash and getting the most shinies; it's about friends getting together and having a shared experience and having a good time.

But, since Ben can't be bothered to interact with REAL people, I guess he has to resort to sitting behind a computer screen and having a laid-out copy/paste adventure unfold before him along with everyone else in their cousin that has ran through the same adventure.

All sounds a little silly now when put in that perspective, doesn't it?

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
KarlMonster said:
"The Anti-Life Equation"

BUZZ!

Wrong!

Yahtzee did not make that up. It is from a horrible old terminator-esque sci-fi movie called "Abraxas" starring Jesse "the Body" Ventura. Only worth seeing if you're curious how long the terminator type story has been around.
Uhh...what? The Anti-Life Equation is from DC Comics, its basically the driving motivation of Darkseid.

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
ZeroMachine said:
Every now and then something comes along and reminds me as to why I extremely dislike Ol' Ben here as a person.

This is one of those things.
Have to agree. I meant to reply to this one earlier, but I got busy. Suffice to say I think Yahtzee's just displaying...well I can't call it a lack of imagination because he's obviously got one...I'd say it's a lack of sympathy for others. People may find his antics entertaining, but frankly at moments like these, it really comes out that Yahtzee's attitude may not just be an act and he's genuinely a sour, surly individual who has serious issues sympathizing with anyone.

Coolshark

Jul 15, 2012
Caleco said:
Yeah, pretty accurate impression of TOR. But I just find mumorpugers too similar, repetitive and grindy. It's usually too focused on the level system then the involvement of the player. Like one of Yahtzee's episode you feel more like a little man tugging at the brainstrings of the protagonist and not really playing for yourself.
Same here. I like to see how the world would react to me.

I rarely play games twice, really. I don't try roleplaying often. Maybe I should.