Roseanne cancelled

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Just Ebola said:
Also, not really sure what you're on about, I was talking about the cancellation of Last Man Standing. As far as the "official reasons" CBS gave for the cancellation, licenses, contract negotiations etc, how do I put this politely? Bollocks. I guess it's pretty easy to put a tinfoil hat on me and hand-wave it away, but any reasonable person, on either side of the political spectrum should see something at least a bit weird about it. I don't watch the show, but something Tim Allen said really stuck with me, something about how there's nothing more dangerous than a likeable conservative to the liberals. Seems like it checks out in this case.
It's pretty easy to put a tinfoil hat on you, especially when you hear rumours advertisers were thinkingabout pulling their support around the timeslot. So the reason theshow got cancelled? Combination of looking awful, and growing discontent with Roseanne Barr's political shitflinging contest. Same way advertisers pulled out of their support around the timeslot when that Fox News commentator basically unleashing a tirade of petty, juvenile insults at that school shooting survivor.

Suddenly she discovered her 'moral compass' after she 'prayed a lot' and non-pologized for it on Twitter.

I find it funny how Christians feel the need to lecture other people about morality when they're the ones that need to pray to locate it and others do not need to, but seem to function and be proactively decent people.

It's also funny how conservatives seems to be all Ronald Reagan about shit right until other people start closing their wallets,and then they pretend it's a conspiracy theory of the liberal media ... despite, you know, plugging the show and its prestigious timeslot until people get jittery about wanting their names associated with said people....

So here's your tinfoil hat. Wear it with pride.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
008Zulu said:
Smithnikov said:
And once again, Trump had to make it all about HIM.
Can't see how, Trump doesn't resemble an ape very much.
Other than being almost the same color of orange as an orangutan.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
008Zulu said:
Smithnikov said:
Makes you wonder. What does Trump identify with in a situation about a 80/90s relic, way past their prime, trying to reinvent themselves as a right wing provocateur drive by racism, xenophobia and Fox News conspiracies with an inexplicable meteoric rise in popularity among blue-collar workers who are afraid of change and feeling increasingly left behind and uncool, with a just as spectacular downfall as people realize this relic was never that good to begin with and no one can remember why they were popular in the first place.
Can't imagine what Trump identifies with.

Ender910_v1legacy

Oct 22, 2009
jademunky said:
I was raised on a steady diet of 90's (and late 80's) television. I know all to well of which I speak.
No, apparently you don't know what you're talking about, and I grew up in the same timeframe.

jademunky said:
For every Muppet Show or MST3K there were 100 Suddenly Susan's
Or alternatively, you pay little attention to what it means when you write: "how bad all pre-netflix TV really was". All? Ludicrous. Most? Debatable, but at least more sensible. Most comedy shows? That might be close to accurate, although there's even fewer watchable comedy shows these days, so it's rather moot.

For every show currently on Netflix or broadcast television today I could easily name around 5-10 shows in the same category that would easily match up or surpass some of the recent shows you might clamor on about.

^(With some exceptions of course, after all, comic-book based TV shows were barely a thing until the Avengers hit the silver-screen. And I'll freely admit that fantasy-based TV shows were pretty poorly done in the past.)

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
008Zulu said:
Smithnikov said:
I mean, there are a lot of Trump/Orangutan memes. Kind of like there were more than a few Dubya/Chimp ones. It's a comparison thrown at a lot of public figures, and it's OK so long as they are white.

Just Ebola

Literally Hitler
Jan 7, 2015
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
Just Ebola said:
Also, not really sure what you're on about, I was talking about the cancellation of Last Man Standing. As far as the "official reasons" CBS gave for the cancellation, licenses, contract negotiations etc, how do I put this politely? Bollocks. I guess it's pretty easy to put a tinfoil hat on me and hand-wave it away, but any reasonable person, on either side of the political spectrum should see something at least a bit weird about it. I don't watch the show, but something Tim Allen said really stuck with me, something about how there's nothing more dangerous than a likeable conservative to the liberals. Seems like it checks out in this case.
It's pretty easy to put a tinfoil hat on you, especially when you hear rumours advertisers were thinkingabout pulling their support around the timeslot. So the reason theshow got cancelled? Combination of looking awful, and growing discontent with Roseanne Barr's political shitflinging contest. Same way advertisers pulled out of their support around the timeslot when that Fox News commentator basically unleashing a tirade of petty, juvenile insults at that school shooting survivor.

Suddenly she discovered her 'moral compass' after she 'prayed a lot' and non-pologized for it on Twitter.

I find it funny how Christians feel the need to lecture other people about morality when they're the ones that need to pray to locate it and others do not need to, but seem to function and be proactively decent people.

It's also funny how conservatives seems to be all Ronald Reagan about shit right until other people start closing their wallets,and then they pretend it's a conspiracy theory of the liberal media ... despite, you know, plugging the show and its prestigious timeslot until people get jittery about wanting their names associated with said people....

So here's your tinfoil hat. Wear it with pride.
Seems you got a wire crossed somewhere, I don't know how many times I'm gonna have to reiterate this: I don't give a shit about Roseanne, and it's pretty obvious why it got cancelled. I was talking about the Whole Tim Allen show debacle, how it got cancelled despite having excellent ratings. But really, as far as that infamous tweet?

<spoiler=I mean... C'mon>https://i.redditmedia.com/ImoG-mMLbhdBuzb7Sy_CKtocJ6YbYLp96DkkWM00v-Y.png?w=431&s=c73a36ccecd50f6d0c84c1de6afa8791

It's uncanny! As far as everything else, lets see. Everyone on the left are good and decent people, all conservatives are Christians, all Christians suck because they pray, something about Reagan for some reason. Yep, seems like your standard liberal verbal reach-around.

After another look, I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather fuck the monkey.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Schadrach said:
it's OK so long as they are white.
Hmm I wonder if using some cultural context might help us solve why this is generally the case. I mean events in the world don't just exist in a bubble...

Perhaps it's generally not considered as bad because "ape", "monkey", and other animals weren't used as racial slurs against white people for centuries in the West?

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Ender910 said:
jademunky said:
I was raised on a steady diet of 90's (and late 80's) television. I know all to well of which I speak.
No, apparently you don't know what you're talking about, and I grew up in the same timeframe.

jademunky said:
For every Muppet Show or MST3K there were 100 Suddenly Susan's
Or alternatively, you pay little attention to what it means when you write: "how bad all pre-netflix TV really was". All? Ludicrous. Most? Debatable, but at least more sensible. Most comedy shows? That might be close to accurate, although there's even fewer watchable comedy shows these days, so it's rather moot.

For every show currently on Netflix or broadcast television today I could easily name around 5-10 shows in the same category that would easily match up or surpass some of the recent shows you might clamor on about.

^(With some exceptions of course, after all, comic-book based TV shows were barely a thing until the Avengers hit the silver-screen. And I'll freely admit that fantasy-based TV shows were pretty poorly done in the past.)
All sitcoms certainly but also all dramas, all sci-fi (I tried watching old X-files which I used to love as a kid and was just dumbfounded as to how unwatchable it was. Not just in terms of production-values, which is understandable, but in basic writing and storytelling.) All police procedurals, all talk-shows.

The reason, I think, is that back then, a small handful of networks got lazy for 60 years and just catered to a captive audience who had no real choice not to watch since their alternative was to actually talk to their shitty-ass family.

If it were not for Simpsons, South Park, MST3K and Twin Peaks (God bless you David Lynch you weird fuck) I would write that whole decade of TV off entirely.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
BreakfastMan said:
Hawki said:
altnameJag said:
Oh no, whatever you do, don't cancel Bill Maher. Leftists would hate* that.
Um, wouldn't they? Bill Maher is left leaning.
He might be left leaning, but he is pretty thoroughly hated or mocked by the left. The pro-idpol left hates him because he is a bigot, and the idpol-neutral/anti-idpol left mocks him because he is a cringey liberal moron.
"idpol"?

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
30 Rock and Parks and Recreation are the only US sit-coms I can think of that I actually like. Veep only partially counts, because it's mostly written by British people.

Just Ebola

Literally Hitler
Jan 7, 2015
Avnger said:
Schadrach said:
Hmm I wonder if using some cultural context might help us solve why this is generally the case. I mean events in the world don't just exist in a bubble...

Perhaps it's generally not considered as bad because "ape", "monkey", and other animals weren't used as racial slurs against white people for centuries in the West?

So it's perfectly fine to shit on white people as long as there's no racial precedence? Cool. This leaves us in a pretty disturbing place, where it's ok to call the leader of the free world a monkey, the color of his skin makes it perfectly fine. For centuries white people have been called guineas, wops, mics, and more recently, crackers, but do you think if someone famous used one of those slurs or exhibited racism towards whites, they'd be penalized by the media? Lemme spoil the answer for you. No. Here's how Wanda Sykes responded to the whole Roseanne controversy, keep in my she's railing against working with racists. While being racist.

https://i.redditmedia.com/vhTW-oW-CsQe34kv3GyGxXTifyFpZhxoDkKG_XlAtsc.png?w=579&s=eba24197301f919d2328219e1f60b372

Because white people are the only race to conquer, apparently.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Baffle2 said:
British sitcoms are better. Probably not by much. But a bit.
I went back to watch Black Books again last year. Turns out, I don't really like it any more. I used to love that show. I don't want to risk rewatching Red Dwarf or IT Crowd, but I've probably changed my mind on them too.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Just Ebola said:
Avnger said:
Schadrach said:

So it's perfectly fine to shit on white people as long as there's no racial precedence? Cool. This leaves us in a pretty disturbing place, where it's ok to call the leader of the free world a monkey, the color of his skin makes it perfectly fine. For centuries white people have been called guineas, wops, mics, and more recently, crackers, but do you think if someone famous used one of those slurs or exhibited racism towards whites, they'd be penalized by the media? Lemme spoil the answer for you. No. Here's how Wanda Sykes responded to the whole Roseanne controversy, keep in my she's railing against working with racists. While being racist.

https://i.redditmedia.com/vhTW-oW-CsQe34kv3GyGxXTifyFpZhxoDkKG_XlAtsc.png?w=579&s=eba24197301f919d2328219e1f60b372

Because white people are the only race to conquer, apparently.
Also the fact that it was usually the leaders of white nations and not necessarily all white people. Maybe soldiers as well, but they were following orders. I know a lot of people were hurt from the last couple of hundred years of these white people. It still affects everyone to this day.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Just Ebola said:
. Frasier, the Fresh Prince, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Family Matters, that was the golden age of sitcoms.
Uh no. That would be the 70's. Sanford and Son, Barney Miller, All in the Family, The Jeffersons, all are leagues past those shows.

Norman Lear could shit better material than the writers of those shows.

Though I will give you The Young Ones and Sledge Hammer! as a case for the 80's.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Smithnikov said:
Just Ebola said:
. Frasier, the Fresh Prince, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Family Matters, that was the golden age of sitcoms.
Uh no. That would be the 70's. Sanford and Son, Barney Miller, All in the Family, The Jeffersons, all are leagues past those shows.

Though I will give you The Young Ones and Sledge Hammer! as a case for the 80's.
I wonder what All in the Family would be like if it was around today.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Saelune said:
Smithnikov said:
Just Ebola said:

Archie Bunker would be a goddamned hero instead of a close to home portrayal of casual bigotry in an interesting character.

Oh and Norman Lear would be known as Norman Cuck or something.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Just Ebola said:
Seems you got a wire crossed somewhere, I don't know how many times I'm gonna have to reiterate this: I don't give a shit about Roseanne, and it's pretty obvious why it got cancelled. I was talking about the Whole Tim Allen show debacle, how it got cancelled despite having excellent ratings. But really, as far as that infamous tweet?
Then why bring it up? I know fuck all about Tim Allen and the topic is on RB, but I'm willig to bet it was something as innocuous as money.

It's uncanny! As far as everything else, lets see. Everyone on the left are good and decent people,
Never said that.

all conservatives are Christians,
Christians certainly seem to be Christians (because that's what I actually wrote...), and given that 85% of Americans are Christian...

all Christians suck because they pray, something about Reagan for some reason. Yep, seems like your standard liberal verbal reach-around.
As opposed to this spiel? And to paraphrase as a born and raised Catholic, I do have deep problems with Evangelicals and other Protestants pretending that being sola scriptura and prayer alone can offer moral guidance.

Healthy people do not pray to find a moral compass.

They pray for intercession or to give thanks in trials or their fortunes. The Bible is just words. Whether you're a Catholic or agnostic, atheist or deist. It offers no concrete morality prose beyond its highly temporal and flawed interpretation by people.

Prayer is not magical. It's an exercise of humility. It's something that is personal, and not to be shared over Twitter. Telling people you 'prayed over something' and as if divine revelation occurred to you is saying you have received as if the beatific vision. And that is reserved for saints and prophets.

No ... anyone working on Fox News does not strike me as a saint or prophet ... given how often they seem to extol the virtues of other people's greed rather than, you know, actual Christian concepts of social justice concerning charity, common love, and being a peacemaker.

It's why the Roman Catholic Church on the flipside of so many Evangelical debate accepts global warming is a thing, and pressures world leaders to do something about it. Quite clearly global warming threatens conflict on Earth between people.

After another look, I've come to the conclusion that I'd rather fuck the monkey.
Monkeys have standards. Moreover, Roseanne Barr knew exactly what shewas writing and how it would be interpreted. That's why she did it. Pretending otherwise is naivete.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Smithnikov said:
Saelune said:
Smithnikov said:
Just Ebola said:

Archie Bunker would be a goddamned hero instead of a close to home portrayal of casual bigotry in an interesting character.

Oh and Norman Lear would be known as Norman Cuck or something.
Uh...elaborate, cause I do not understand what you are implying here... *woosh over my head . _.*