RPG game for noob girlfriend

Wilbot666

Aug 21, 2009
What about GTA: San Andreas? I know my GF loves it for the "humour" and has been caught playing it several times when she thinks no-one is around :p

nightwolf667

Oct 5, 2009
Et3rnalLegend64 said:
And this. Take his advice, please. If our nerd tendencies are taking priority over our gf's..... well, they shouldn't be. Good advice.
Her advice. ;) I am a she.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
nightwolf667 said:
Et3rnalLegend64 said:
And this. Take his advice, please. If our nerd tendencies are taking priority over our gf's..... well, they shouldn't be. Good advice.
Her advice. ;) I am a she.
Darn it. I'm normally better than that. I do have a guy friend with a suspiciously similar screen name to yours though.....

(whitty name here)

Apr 20, 2009
I'm going to have to say no idea on this one. Maybe play something else, a little,"girlier" perhaps?
Harvest moon?Animal Crossing?
Those are RPGs right?

nightwolf667

Oct 5, 2009
Et3rnalLegend64 said:
Darn it. I'm normally better than that. I do have a guy friend with a suspiciously similar screen name to yours though.....
No harm done. Since the majority of the gaming community, especially on the internet, is male, it's only natural to make that assumption. :p The fact that you have a friend with a suspiciously similar screen name just makes it that much worse.

But thanks for agreeing with my advice! :D Good to know there are some sensible men out there!

BaerXIII

Mar 29, 2009
Final Fantasy 7. It was my baby's first RPG and it played well on Windows XP and it would probably run even better on something older. Or you can always get an emulator for the Genesis and sit her down with some Phantasy Star 2.

wildcard9

Aug 31, 2008
Hmmm...I'd like to recommend Fallout 3, given that it's fps half makes the roleplaying elements a little easier to swallow for a neophyte...but she might not be into it's style of gratutious violence we Fallout fans all known and love. Try to sell her on the whole dark humour and non-linearity instead.

Other than that, I'd recommend Torchlight. Diablo-likes are newbie friendly mainly because you're only using both mouse buttons and a few keystrokes for inventory and map. Oh, and it's cheap.

nightwolf667

Oct 5, 2009
Old Trailmix said:
Every girl likes the Sims.
Now this I take issue with. Not every girl likes the Sims. Sure a lot of them do, but not every single one. I for instance don't. I find the Sims terribly boring and uninteresting and far too slow. I like RPGs and I like killing things and I'm fairly sure I'm not in the minority on either count.

(whitty name here) said:
Maybe play something else, a little,"girlier" perhaps?
The problem with that is the gaming industry as a whole has very few games that are "girly" or specifically made for a girl market. (Except the ones that are mind numbingly saccharine and made for little girls the age of six.) At least not the kind the OP wants. The trick is to find the ones that are the least offensive to womankind. RPGs do that better than most because they allow the player to choose the gender of their character. This makes it easier to get into the game because for most of us females, imagining ourselves as a girl is much easier than pretending that our reproductive organs are on the outside. I wouldn't recommend Mass Effect as a starter because of the titillating possibility of a lesbian romance. While I am fine with that, some girls might be a little offended or grossed out depending on their tolerance levels.

Also, shooter controls can have a difficult learning curve. Turn based is easier for point and click. On that count, I suppose the OP could always try Diablo II, I have quite a few female friends who play that regularly. They even have Diablo II lan parties, running about and click killing monsters together. And they like the Sims. Well, one of them does. She might enjoy that.

Still, my original advice still stands. If she's not interested, don't try to force her.

cheese_wizington

Aug 16, 2009
nightwolf667 said:
Old Trailmix said:
Every girl likes the Sims.
Now this I take issue with. Not every girl likes the Sims. Sure a lot of them do, but not every single one. I for instance don't. I find the Sims terribly boring and uninteresting and far too slow. I like RPGs and I like killing things and I'm fairly sure I'm not in the minority on either count.

(whitty name here) said:
Maybe play something else, a little,"girlier" perhaps?
The problem with that is the gaming industry as a whole has very few games that are "girly" or specifically made for a girl market. (Except the ones that are mind numbingly saccharine and made for little girls the age of six.) At least not the kind the OP wants. The trick is to find the ones that are the least offensive to womankind. RPGs do that better than most because they allow the player to choose the gender of their character. This makes it easier to get into the game because for most of us females, imagining ourselves as a girl is much easier than pretending that our reproductive organs are on the outside. I wouldn't recommend Mass Effect as a starter because of the titillating possibility of a lesbian romance. While I am fine with that, some girls might be a little offended or grossed out depending on their tolerance levels.

Also, shooter controls can have a difficult learning curve. Turn based is easier for point and click. On that count, I suppose the OP could always try Diablo II, I have quite a few female friends who play that regularly. They even have Diablo II lan parties, running about and click killing monsters together. And they like the Sims. Well, one of them does. She might enjoy that.

Still, my original advice still stands. If she's not interested, don't try to force her.
Ⓘ'ⓛⓛ ⓡⓔⓟⓗⓡⓐⓢⓔ ⓣⓗⓘⓢ. Ⓛⓞⓣⓢ ⓐⓝⓓ ⓛⓞⓣⓢ ⓐⓝⓓ ⓛⓞⓣⓢ ⓞⓕ ⓖⓘⓡⓛⓢ ⓛⓘⓚⓔ ⓣⓗⓔ Ⓢⓘⓜⓢ.

Wow funni-code works.

<font color=blue> Does blue work?

nightwolf667

Oct 5, 2009
Old Trailmix said:
&#9406;'&#9435;&#9435; &#9441;&#9428;&#9439;&#9431;&#9441;&#9424;&#9442;&#9428; &#9443;&#9431;&#9432;&#9442;. &#9409;&#9438;&#9443;&#9442; &#9424;&#9437;&#9427; &#9435;&#9438;&#9443;&#9442; &#9424;&#9437;&#9427; &#9435;&#9438;&#9443;&#9442; &#9438;&#9429; &#9430;&#9432;&#9441;&#9435;&#9442; &#9435;&#9432;&#9434;&#9428; &#9443;&#9431;&#9428; &#9416;&#9432;&#9436;&#9442;.

Wow funni-code works.
And so do lots and lots and lots of boys. Seriously, I knew more boys in high school that played the Sims than girls. They were addicted to it and talked about it everyday at lunch. We all made fun of them at lunch time. Out of all my female friends and out of all the ones that game at all, only 1 of them plays the Sims with any sort of regularity. The rest of them were far more likely to play WoW.

But hey, maybe I just live in a strange bubble world or something.

SquirrelPants

Dec 22, 2008
I'd probably go with something along the lines of the Tales of Monkey Island series. They're fun, they're pretty laid-back, they're story driven, and they can be really creative. Not really RPGs, though, they're adventure games.

I might think to start her off with something like Half-Life 2, Borderlands, L4D, or some other critically acclaimed FPS. They're straightforward and fun, and on the easier levels they don't require an extraordinary amount of skill. L4D in particular would be nice, because you could play it with her and help her out.

sagacious

May 7, 2009
actually, since my first game was pokemon, I'd say give her that. It's easy to get into, but has a very deep combat system. A perfect game for a beginner.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
Hmmmm. I would reccomend Morrowind because that's one of the best RPG's ever, but its not a good starter. If your computer can at all handle Oblvion, I'd reccomend you start her on that. I bought Morrowind and understood it until I got Oblivion. Now I like Morrowind more

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'd recommend starting on action RPGs to begin with. They're high on fun and addiction and low on story. Torchlight has cartoony and welcoming graphics, and even on "normal" is pretty much a cakewalk. Plus it's damn inexpensive and they're easier to jump in and out of.

My one fear of presenting a more traditional RPG to a newcomer is the amount of time they take. Most Bethesda RPGs can be played for 100 hours or more, and bioware's can reach 50-80 if you're a completionist. Older games like the stuff Black Iles made would probably be just too damn weird. If I were new to games I think I'd find that pretty overwhelming. Plus the amount of choices you can make... it would likely be too much.

most action RPGs are linear but have a sense of freedom and just seem more open to newcomers.

If it doesn't HAVE to be for PC I'd really recommend the paper mario series, it's charming, funny, RPG-ish and actually a lot of damn fun.

sagacious said:
actually, since my first game was pokemon, I'd say give her that. It's easy to get into, but has a very deep combat system. A perfect game for a beginner.
I think this is actually a pretty good suggestion. They're fun games and even if you don't have a DS for the newest ones you can easily find roms for the GB and GBA games.