Rumor: 360 Successor's GPU and Release Date Detailed

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
vrbtny said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Funny thing: 'hardcore' gamers have been scoffing at the specs of the Wii U, and claiming that the next round of PS/Xbox consoles will wipe the floor with it. Whereas this article suggests the difference will be increased performance of around '20%'.

Which is far less than the difference in performance between the original PS2 (the weakest console of its generation) and the original Xbox (basically a gaming PC of the time sold with a controller attached). Yet the PS2 outsold the Xbox by a factor of about 10-1.

Just something interesting to think about. Of course, it could all be lies and rumours. But if not, the next generation is going to be very interesting indeed...

Was the PS2 weaker than the Gamecube? I thought the latter was less powerful, sure has seemed it. I've played 007 : Nightfire on both of them, pretty much side-by-side, and the PS2 one seems prettier.
If you compare Resident Evil 4 the PS2 version had really grainy graphics and the cut scenes were so bad you seriously had to be grateful for Capcom and their hatred for unskippable cut scenes.

OT: I'm not sure if I will go for the new Xbox or not. I got a 360 and a decent gaming PC as it is. I have had a lot of fun with my Xbox so I guess I will wait to see the exclusives.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
If only people could make bets on rumors, I'd be a rich man right now given how much of a 'sure thing' a game industry rumor is. Microsoft making no comment is basically a confirmation in of itself. That's so common now it's almost code for yes in game-industry-speak.

It also sounds too plausible not to be true.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Regardless of whether this is true or not, I think people are just setting themselves up for disappointment if they're expecting high end stuff in the next Xbox. The next Playstation, maybe, at least it will crush the Xbox' specs, but I get the feeling that the Xbox will be moving away from games and more towards a media center. It will be affordable while still being competitive with games for the PS3, but it'll never get near the PC.

That said, GPUs cost about the same to make, you'd think M$ has the weight to ask one of the manufacturers to give them to it at cost to promote it, that way the new Xbox can still be cheap, but it can be a powerhouse with a GPU costing more at retail than the Xbox itself.
Yopaz said:
vrbtny said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Funny thing: 'hardcore' gamers have been scoffing at the specs of the Wii U, and claiming that the next round of PS/Xbox consoles will wipe the floor with it. Whereas this article suggests the difference will be increased performance of around '20%'.

Which is far less than the difference in performance between the original PS2 (the weakest console of its generation) and the original Xbox (basically a gaming PC of the time sold with a controller attached). Yet the PS2 outsold the Xbox by a factor of about 10-1.

Just something interesting to think about. Of course, it could all be lies and rumours. But if not, the next generation is going to be very interesting indeed...

Was the PS2 weaker than the Gamecube? I thought the latter was less powerful, sure has seemed it. I've played 007 : Nightfire on both of them, pretty much side-by-side, and the PS2 one seems prettier.
If you compare Resident Evil 4 the PS2 version had really grainy graphics and the cut scenes were so bad you seriously had to be grateful for Capcom and their hatred for unskippable cut scenes.
But that's cuz it's a sloppy port, I remember the PS2 having the better specs, but I could be wrong. The RE4 thing though is only cuz of Capcom's disregard for the PS2.

WonderWillard

Feb 4, 2010
SenorStocks said:
I'm sure XBros everywhere will be hailing this as some kind of miniature super computer, when in reality it's already outdated. Wonder how many decades this one will have to last? Lol consoles.
Bitter towards console gamers much? I think it's fairly common knowledge that games will always look better on PCs because of superior hardware...

There have been so many rumors about the next console, I won't believe anything until I see it.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
vrbtny said:
Even more screwed up that Nvidia's, and that's saying something.
Oh please don't get me started about my heavy duty 3d modeling laptop (for school) with nifty things in it. Oh lord the amount of times I got the infamous "Nvidea bla bla kernel 285.something stopped responding and has recovered." thing where it basically tells you the graphics card ran out of juice or something...

THE BIGGEST MYSTERY IN THE WORLD! when it comes to Nvidea. Wish they fixed that issue =/
I really do.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
gmaverick019 said:
vrbtny said:
Seriously though, it's good to see at least a half-decent GPU lined up for the next 360. Radeon cards aren't my strongpoint, however, they just have such a screwed up numbering system.

wait...

what?

more screwed up that nvidia o_O.....?

i'm either incredibly smart or beyond retarded, nvidia's is definitely 10x more confusing to the untrained eye, my friend who i have been "tutoring" in pc building/gaming, still has no idea what is what with nvidia while he is already looking into radeon's hd 7000 series

OT: I much rather would've had them use the 7000 series...but still 6670 isn't horrible, definitely shouldn't boosted up though, that 79.99 value is only going to get cheaper come soon, which is what i'm assuming xbox is banking on heavily to make for cheap and sell for a tidy profit.

All you have to tell him is bigger numbers are better. How hard is that? First number is generation, next 2 on nvidia are card number, next 3 on ati chips are card number.

Ot: I'm pretty sure my heatsink was twice as expensive as this card. Xbox, holding back gaming graphics for another 6 years.

[sub]why yes, I do have sli gtx 580's, thanks for asking[/sub]

The Cool Kid said:
My GTX 560 Ti laughs in the face of a meagre HD6670.
Nice, you can use your card to introduce both of mine at the next nvidia owners club meeting. :p

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
why do you need to have better graphics ot play the some old BF3-***t clone.
IT LOOKS BETTER - wow, now I am impressed /sarcasm

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Oh look information on the GPU a console will use,

One of the things about a console is that all its hardware is uniform and thus what each component is doesn't really matter except to developers. To the layman, such as myself, its really not important since there isn't anything I can do except say "huh, that's interesting" and buy it anyways if I want the newest X-box console. The potential release date is interesting but specs as far as I'm concerned, except for the rare case of a developer who cares about such things and which seems to not be the primary demographic around here most of the time, are just so hardware geeks can have dick waving contest. I don't care how powerful it is to some other card or what you have or what something else has. I care if it can make pretty pictures. I'm fairly certain it can, so I'm good.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Twilight_guy said:
Oh look information on the GPU a console will use,

One of the things about a console is that all its hardware is uniform and thus what each component is doesn't really matter except to developers. To the layman, such as myself, its really not important since there isn't anything I can do except say "huh, that's interesting" and buy it anyways if I want the newest X-box console. The potential release date is interesting but specs as far as I'm concerned, except for the rare case of a developer who cares about such things and which seems to not be the primary demographic around here most of the time, are just so hardware geeks can have dick waving contest. I don't care how powerful it is to some other card or what you have or what something else has. I care if it can make pretty pictures. I'm fairly certain it can, so I'm good.
You hit the crux of the issue. That other cards cn make prettier pictures, but that most games made for the next generation of consoles will have to be scaled back in terms of their prettiness in order for people's new boxes to not melt themselves.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
SenorStocks said:
Since you're using a laptop, it's possible that the error is being caused by overheating or some other hardware issue. I had a 285 GTX that kept having that problem, turned out that the clock speed was too high and as soon as I underclocked it the problem went away. Needless to say that was sent straight back!
A good thought, but after having a piece of tracking software installed it stayed within the bounderies of 'very safe', without the extra fan blowing. I always have my laptop on a non cluttered area, not on any soft tissue that can block the fan or whatnots. I have a MSI GT663R-432NL (http://nl.msi.com/product/nb/GT663.html#/?div=Specification) and it works fine when I run a fullscreen program. But when I have something in a windowed mode it just tells me to go do something else basically.

It crashes alot less when I set the windows theme to xp (classic) and disable aeropeek.
Yes I know it says it's a gaming laptop, but it had all the components I needed for the 3d modeling & other heavy duty programs (After Effects filmmaking etc.)

So I'm not quite sure what is going on. I got shocked by the mouse MSI delivered along with it, so I had to replace that one with my own. Don't think that got something to do with it but still.. I can't send it back (or afford to send it back since I need it on daily basis for finishing my final year). So I'm outta luck untill Nvidea get's it right I guess.

ON TOPIC:
-------------
Well I don't know much about graphics cards and consoles, but as long as it's better right? I also could do with some faster loading times with Dark Souls... Thing takes forever to load...
-------------

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Here's an Xbox rumour I wouldn't mind having substantiated;

Will Windows 8 have built in emulation for Xbox 360 games?

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
What a surprise that the hardware is incredibly weak. I knew this was coming though. Of course, I am still skeptical of them even releasing more consoles. I mean, they are getting by just fine releasing stuff using hardware thats like 10 years old, so why not.
Hopefully someday they will match my PC in power.

Sep 14, 2009
ResonanceSD said:
gmaverick019 said:
vrbtny said:
Seriously though, it's good to see at least a half-decent GPU lined up for the next 360. Radeon cards aren't my strongpoint, however, they just have such a screwed up numbering system.

wait...

what?

more screwed up that nvidia o_O.....?

i'm either incredibly smart or beyond retarded, nvidia's is definitely 10x more confusing to the untrained eye, my friend who i have been "tutoring" in pc building/gaming, still has no idea what is what with nvidia while he is already looking into radeon's hd 7000 series

OT: I much rather would've had them use the 7000 series...but still 6670 isn't horrible, definitely shouldn't boosted up though, that 79.99 value is only going to get cheaper come soon, which is what i'm assuming xbox is banking on heavily to make for cheap and sell for a tidy profit.

All you have to tell him is bigger numbers are better. How hard is that? First number is generation, next 2 on nvidia are card number, next 3 on ati chips are card number.

Ot: I'm pretty sure my heatsink was twice as expensive as this card. Xbox, holding back gaming graphics for another 6 years.

[sub]why yes, I do have sli gtx 580's, thanks for asking[/sub]

The Cool Kid said:
My GTX 560 Ti laughs in the face of a meagre HD6670.
Nice, you can use your card to introduce both of mine at the next nvidia owners club meeting. :p
i don't have a problem knowing it, and i was mostly referring to older nvidia cards, the different series of cards, that's the only problem my friend has trouble getting straight with nvidia cards.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
So aside from a less pissed off fan-base, they now have a slightly better graphics card than the Wii U. And this is supposed to persuade my purchase... how? It even said 20%. That sounds like nothing more than minor details when graphics are already pretty much plateauing all around. At least I can get on board with Nintendo trying to change the gameplay up a bit.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Ruwrak said:
vrbtny said:
Oh please don't get me started about my heavy duty 3d modeling laptop (for school) with nifty things in it. Oh lord the amount of times I got the infamous "Nvidea bla bla kernel 285.something stopped responding and has recovered." thing where it basically tells you the graphics card ran out of juice or something...

THE BIGGEST MYSTERY IN THE WORLD! when it comes to Nvidea. Wish they fixed that issue =/
I really do.
That happens to my GTX 260 when I've overclocked it and it overheats. Update your driver and makes sure you're not overclocking/got a well ventilated laptop.

Hope it helps.