Rumor: Activision Hungrily Eying Take Two

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Before it was bungie. With a powerhouse developer like Bungie working with them, Activision will gain much more power in the industry.

GTA can't go with them. GTA V is the only thing I can think of that could best COD. If Activision were to buy them, there would be nothing to stop Activision.

Decabo

Dec 16, 2009
Wait, True Crime Hong Kong was canceled? Seriously? That game looked really good. Activision needs to die, it is incredible how many dickish actions they take. That game was basically done, for fuck's sake.

And I really hope Take Two doesn't go through with this.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Oh SH!T.

Not good at all, if this happens I bet their will be crappy sequels to GTA, and Bioshock released every year, (aka Call of Duty syndrome)

Who bets KoTICK wishes to go after Valve as well. (note this is currently impossible, for the moment)

Decabo

Dec 16, 2009
If you guys want to contact Take Two to tell them to not make such a horrible decision, use this to email them: http://www.take2games.com/contact/

Nedoras

Jan 8, 2010
Well this would really suck if it happened, but I don't see why Take Two would sell itself. As pointed out, they own some very successful IP's and their profits are on the rise. They seem to be doing well, and just selling it all to another publisher seems like a waste.

maxusy3k

May 17, 2008
Decabo said:
Wait, True Crime Hong Kong was canceled? Seriously? That game looked really good. Activision needs to die, it is incredible how many dickish actions they take. That game was basically done, for fuck's sake.

And I really hope Take Two doesn't go through with this.
Pretty much this, especially the top part. I'm sure there was a feature on TC:HK on Xbox Live just a couple of weeks ago? That really piqued my interest!

Dammit.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Oh, just picture it: a yearly GTA, now with a 30min story involving dipshit characters doing something that makes no sense (but your fat cousin stays, now voiced by Kotick himself). To make up for it, there's some trite multiplayer populated entirely by retards who loudly proclaim GTA37:Urban vehicle Based Combat 876.2 to be "TEH BEST GAME EVARRRR!!!" and you are "a raging homofag" for politely disagreeing. Oh yes, the glory days await us!

Give me a million more GTA4s (let's be honest, the game sucked), and I'd happily play them, just to prevent this from happening.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

Do you know why the GTA series is so successful? Because they're really good games. Do you know why they're really good games? Because Rockstar takes their sweet time making them instead of pushing out at least one game a year, nevermind three of them.

I'm really looking forward to the (almost) inevitable Red Dead sequel, that is a franchise that I do NOT want to see driven into the ground with cruddy sequel after cruddy sequel.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
And so begins the end of the gaming industry. At least GTA and Bioshock fans will get a few hundred games in the three or four years that those franchises last before they get tossed aside like a stale salad and noone wants to even hear their names any more.

Looks like Gabe Newell really will be holding all of the cards soon, everyone will flock to Steam so they can get some original content and then he'll own us all!

PurpleTartan

Feb 2, 2011
gigastar said:
This is not funny.

If Activision takes 2K they effectively take over Rockstar and Irrational. That means they get Red Dead, Bioshock, and GTA. Gearbox also have their publishing deal with 2K which means they get alot of control over Duke Nukem and Borderlands.

Seriously if this is real I might have to have Kotick assasinated.
OMG! That's True... I really Hope they don't Buy out Take Two, Activision will ruin all of their games X( I especially don't want them to get any control over the Duke Nukem games...

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
Decabo said:
And you're basing that comment on..... what, exactly? Clearly not data.

Speaking from first-hand knowledge, it wasn't 'basically done' - it was a long, long way from being done. It ran at about 2 frames per second, the missions were terrible, the story hadn't even been finalized (lots and lots AND LOTS of rewrites), the controls were horrible, all the VO actors had to be recast because they were hopeless, melee combat was tedious button-mashing, the animation was borderline comical, and so on. Driving was the only decent bit, really.

It got pushed back - again - to Septeber before it got canned and, trust me, had it come out you would have absolutely PANNED it. It was never going to be a good game, despite a lot of hard work from everyone involved - it was one of those misguided projects that had bad decisions made on the developer and the publisher side, over and over again. The blame does not solely lie on the shoulders of Activision, I'm afraid.

Canning it was the kindest thing to have done (and it should have been done a while ago) - do you really want to play a 60-rated very mediocre (at best) GTA-knockoff?

No, didn't think so.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
I've heard it said that the gaming industry is headed for a fall. I can only hope that's true, otherwise we'll wind up with a corporate monopoly and I'll have to finally just give up gaming all together.

Drago-Morph

Mar 28, 2010
Ed130 said:
Oh SH!T.

Not good at all, if this happens I bet their will be crappy sequels to GTA, and Bioshock released every year, (aka Call of Duty syndrome)

Who bets KoTICK wishes to go after Valve as well. (note this is currently impossible, for the moment)
Activision would never try to go after Valve. Valve would probably self-destruct before they joined up. Either that, or they'd release the full power of the Internet that they so ruthlessly wield to defeat Activision once and for all.

Goddamn, Valve's like a gaming superhero now.

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
Drago-Morph said:
Ed130 said:
Oh SH!T.

Activision would never try to go after Valve. Valve would probably self-destruct before they joined up. Either that, or they'd release the full power of the Internet that they so ruthlessly wield to defeat Activision once and for all.

Goddamn, Valve's like a gaming superhero now.
Valve = gaming Batman? Good god, I barely know anything about Activision (their murder of my first game series aside), but I love Bioshock 1, and 2 was even better, Infinite looks like it'll be continuing the climb. If Activision is really the soul-sucking profit monster I've seen people say they are... well, may god help us all.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
I seriously hope that nothing comes of this.

Just take a look - ONE LOOK - at that those soulless, empty black pupils sitting amidst a face that is desperately feigning friendliness in the hope that people wont think he's that evil.

This man alone is reason enough to hope that Activision goes so far under the ground it might actually meet up with Beelzebub and all his hellish minions before continuing on to the Earth's core.

Decabo

Dec 16, 2009
DiamanteGeeza said:
Decabo said:
And you're basing that comment on..... what, exactly? Clearly not data.

Speaking from first-hand knowledge, it wasn't 'basically done' - it was a long, long way from being done. It ran at about 2 frames per second, the missions were terrible, the story hadn't even been finalized (lots and lots AND LOTS of rewrites), the controls were horrible, all the VO actors had to be recast because they were hopeless, melee combat was tedious button-mashing, the animation was borderline comical, and so on. Driving was the only decent bit, really.

It got pushed back - again - to Septeber before it got canned and, trust me, had it come out you would have absolutely PANNED it. It was never going to be a good game, despite a lot of hard work from everyone involved - it was one of those misguided projects that had bad decisions made on the developer and the publisher side, over and over again. The blame does not solely lie on the shoulders of Activision, I'm afraid.

Canning it was the kindest thing to have done (and it should have been done a while ago) - do you really want to play a 60-rated very mediocre (at best) GTA-knockoff?

No, didn't think so.
Of course not. The game wasn't completely finished. But with the level of dedication put into it, and the solid looking PAX demo, it could've been a good game, and Activision's reasoning of it "not being able to reach the top of the free-roaming genre" is just a plain stupid reason. Activision said the same about Brutal Legend, and that game was pretty good.