Rumor: Bethesda Making Direct Sequel to Oblivion

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Whatever they do'll turn out fine. Just don't make it a buggy mess full of game-breaking exploits.
It's a Bethesda game. Ergo, it'll be a buggy mess full of game-breaking exploits.

rockyoumonkeys

Aug 31, 2010
Ugh. So probably it's the same miserably broken engine.

For the first time, I'm actually considering not getting a Bethesda game. I'm tired of this. They need to focus on fixing their broken crap before they keep pushing ahead with sequels and expansion packs.

Tigurus

Apr 14, 2009
Sounds fun...Though more fun if it involved morrowind. I loved that story and setting and cliff racers.

Wait...Nevermind the last one though I could find it funny for a few minutes if they were in Oblivion or this sequel thingy~~

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Delusibeta said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Whatever they do'll turn out fine. Just don't make it a buggy mess full of game-breaking exploits.
It's a Bethesda game. Ergo, it'll be a buggy mess full of game-breaking exploits.
I'm hoping they'll get be able to get rid of the bigger exploits. Nearly everyone I know abused the hell out of Alchemy in Morrowind, Duplication in Oblivion, and Scrap Metal Glitch in Fallout 3

Unknower

Jun 4, 2008
The amount of voice actors should at least be quadrupled. Don't waste your money on couple of big name actors!

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
messy said:
Zeromaeus said:
I personally wanted to go to the Black Marsh...
Well, Skingrad had better be fixed!
Blue Lantern?

OT: Black marsh would be sorta cool. Maybe a world where all the racism is directed at the humans not the lizard men.
All will be well.

Back on track, I think Black Marsh would be good for a number of reasons. For instance the exotic environment would be much more interesting to traverse than your typical forest.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
Warthur said:
Hmm, if my understanding of the Elder Scrolls timeline is correct then (in canon at least) after Oblivion the Empire eventually dissolves. If you've played Oblivion, you know that the Imperial family were in power for a very specific reason which, in the wake of the end of the main plot, no longer applies, and it'd make sense that when the main reason for binding the Empire together has fallen by the wayside the more independent-minded provinces would start to break away.

A game set right at the start of the collapse of the Empire which focused on the wars between the different provinces would be absolutely epic.
Agreed, and that is why they must want to make a direct sequel. It might also mean we get to see some old faces from Oblivion.

Dorian

Jan 16, 2009
Well, if they're applying the lessons they've learned from their Fallout experiments, then it shall be an epic game indeed!

But only better if they be original with their enemies. Oblivion may have been fun, but it didn't impress me that much on the enemies. Wolves, rats, lions, trolls, ogres, imps, crabs..........

I don't want to play the same god-damned fantasy game every bloody time! I want originallity! Give me something from Morrowind! Even if it's only Cliffracers! Give a damn use to the bow instead of stealth characters! Airial enemies are a PERFECT reason for ranged weapons!

Ayjona

Jul 14, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
It implies that you will play the same character you played in Oblivion
Not quite. It suggests that this might be a possibility, since it would not have been possible with a game set in another world and setting. But it certainly does not imply it. A sequel need only be a sequel in terms of the overarching story and campaign world, not in terms of the main character.

_Cake_

Apr 5, 2009
I hope they add companions like Fallout, I was lonely :p (but not lonely enough to get the annoying fan).

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
huh, i dont know how to feel about this, oblivion was the strangest gaming experience i ever had i played it for 70 hours, but except from one mission during the thief quest line i never had any fun, i was never sucked in to the story, i wanted to call it a bad game, but i played it for 70 hours, there are games i love that i havent played for that long.

so im not really excited for it, but at the same time i know i will still get it the first week and play it forever.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
EHKOS said:
Noooooo! What about Skyrim! Or the Black Marsh! Or....that....island that I forgot the name of...
Summerset Isle, I believe.

I'd want Black Marsh personally. Cyrodiil became a tad boring after a while. There just weren't enough varied content in it, like it was in Morrowind (Dwemer ruins, Daedra, random caves, mining caves, ancestral tombs... You get the idea).

Hopefully Black Marsh wouldn't just be... A marsh, you know. In Morrowind, when you were trecking along the way to some city, you could find something that piqued your interest. Small, insignificant at fist, maybe just a cave. Turns out there were slavers there, or some cult. You kill them and find some great equipment or something else of value.

Experiences like that makes the game come alive, and that was something Oblivion didn't acheive. Seen one Aylied ruin, seen them all.

Larsirius

May 26, 2010
There has been some recent rumors around TES V that could support this one. According to Todd Howard, the Executive Producer of TES IV: O, Bethesda has been working on a game for the last two years; about the time they were done with Fallout 3. Prior to devoloping Fallout 3, Bethesda said that they'd start making TES V after F3 had shipped. In an interview with Eurogamer, released on Agusust 16th, he stated that "One thing I can say is that from when you first hear about it to when it's out will be the shortest it's been for us. It's pretty far along. When we show it, we want to show a lot, because there's a lot of game there to play right now.

"You know, if Pete Hines came in and said, "I want you to show it," I'd be like, "Okay, I'm ready to show it." But we've just decided for now not to yet."

Shortly after this, around 26th of August, Howard said in a Bethesda podcast that he had been writing "relatively the same type of game for a very long time ... consoles are powerful enough now that we can do some pretty deep, dynamic kind of games". Howard also says that he and the Bethesda development team have been working on the game since they finished Fallout 3. He adds that they are "not ready to talk about it yet but we are really excited with how it looks. I mean, if we were forced to show it right now we'd be proud to show it, but we just don't feel the timing's quite right yet to show it." and "It's the game everybody in the team really wants to play."

Around the time of quakecon, when these rumors first appeared and were commented on by Howard, there was a rumor that the game would be shown then, butultimately weren't.

Link to Eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-16-bethesdas-todd-howard-interview
Link to Bethesda Podcast( the one in question is from August 26): http://bethblog.com/podcast/

Thanks to uesp.net.

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
A sequel to Oblivion?
Of all the f*cking TES games it will be a sequel to f*cking Oblivion :-(
I'm certanly not holding my breath for this one >:-(

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Seems an incredible coincidence this info came about by from what the Danish source says, but could be trustworthy. As Oblivion is possibly my favourite game of all time, I'd certainly welcome a direct sequel to it.

Ziggy the wolf

May 26, 2009
im hoping to get the new one if its true but i have not so much whining about a game that sold like hotcakes and is still played today and hell i still play it