Rumor: Bethesda Making Direct Sequel to Oblivion

sheogoraththemad

Feb 6, 2010
OMGWTFBBQ!!!!DFAZFGAFGAOGJIPAMAFDOGAODFL!!!!

ahem..... sorry but only the slightest amount of official info about tesV makes me incredible happy!!

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Oh goody. We get to go back to Todd Howard's Generic Fantasy World.
I can't wait for the gamebreaking glitches, shallow combat, boring regurgitated story and completely flat 2-Dimensional Characters.

And I can't wait for it to make millions just because it has the Elder Scrolls rubberstamp on it. Oblivion, on its own merits, was NOT a great game. It was a shell for a great game (as collective years of user-made-content shows).

Still, there is a small chance for major improvement; Zenimax acquired Id Software since the release of Fallout 3.
They, more than anyone else in the business, ought to know how to program a stable and powerful game engine. I'm truly hoping that they put Id to good use and ditch that worthless Gamebryo engine they've been twinking since Morrowind.

Perhaps then the bloody FANS OF THE GAME won't have to do Bethesda's job and fix the glitches for them with yet another Unofficial Patch.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Heraklitus said:
Cool. Maybe this one won't have an idiotic level-scaling system.
Let's pray. Oblivions was practically unplayable because of stupid shit like that without the proper mods.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
It better not be set in Cyrodiil again. I really want to explore the Summerset Isles.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I've fought mudcrabs more compelling than...what this dude says.

Eh...someone had to fit that in here somehow.

PinochetIsMyBro

Aug 21, 2010
As long as they fix the idiotic leveling system I'll be happy. Making a game so it's easier to beat at level 4 then level 20 means you did something WRONG, not something right.

jaketheripper

Jan 27, 2010
i want rage tho!!!!!!! i know id is the primary dev but still Bethesda you need to help MOAR.... it better not be fucking buggy!!!!!!!!!!!

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
This is good news, however it sounds like it's still going to be a while in coming.

That said, I confess that the idea of a "direct sequel" doesn't impress me. To be entirely honest they were poaching Morrowwind heavily for things like the stuff in the various books. Creating a direct sequel seems like an excuse to basically recycle a lot of the same old material.

Oblivion was a GREAT game, no doubt about that, and technologically it surpassed Morrowwind by a substantial amount. However one of the things that made the "Elder Scrolls" series for me at least was all the details and reading the scores of books and such that they put into the game. I enjoyed RPing a scholor of sorts and collecting and reading them. It's things like that that made Elder Scrolls cool.

It seemed to me that Oblivion put a lot of focus on the game itself, but not enough into the supporting details. That bugged me. This news makes me think we'll see that again.

Still, more Elder Scrolls is a good thing. Aside from doing away with the level scaling, I'd like to see them work on the magic system a bit. Simply put we're supposed to have "Imperial Battle Mages" and the like, yet I think the way they have been working the magic system with racial aptitude really makes certain concepts like that difficult to work with.

I'd also like to see it so playing a dedicated mage would be a bit easier. Truthfully in most of the Elder Scrolls games, especially early on, I wind up having to use a *lot* of melee in order to succeed in combat. I rarely if ever wind up feeling like a mage, using magic as my primary means of battle through the entire game.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Whatever they do'll turn out fine. Just don't make it a buggy mess full of game-breaking exploits.
This. And furthermore, improve the quality of the main quest's story. I found Oblivion's trite and dull.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
This is a very exciting bit of... rumor. Can't wait for some official news and media. I want them to fix the level-scaling system of course, but more than anything I want a deep, fleshed out, adult, compelling country for the game's events to play out in. You know, like Morrowind.

If they provide this, I will die happy. Of a TES overdose.

The Zango

Resident stoner and Yognaught
Apr 30, 2009
'In the stage of recording voices'

Hopefully they have more than three voice actors, with more than five lines each this time. It'll be good to have another Elder scrolls, preferably with snappier combat.

I am keeping my eye on this...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Set it in in Skyrim (I think that's the name)! Bruma was my favourite town in Oblivion.

GoodApprentice

Apr 27, 2010
Ug...the whiners in this forum sound like broken records. Their ceaseless and highly repetitive complaints are far more annoying than any flaws found in a Bethesda game.

noble cookie

Aug 6, 2010
First i read "New Elder Scrolls"

My reaction was "ZOMGYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH"

I then read rumor.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

It's kind of a mix between the two, so...
...NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

[small]Oh god that is horrible to look at, so much bold. But you get my thoughts[/small]

Edit: Oh, and stop making everyone in the game look like they were born as old people.