Rumor: Could This Possibly be the PlayStation 4 Controller?

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
I don't think they can do any new design which I'll like. It has to be the dual shock style model or it's just not the ps pad...but this is the nostalgia of someone who grew up with his psx talking.

And no, the triggers being different with the sixaxis and it having motion controls doesn't count as a "redesign", it had new functions it could do but it looked and, most importantly, FELT identical to the previous dual shock controllers when you held it in your hands, this new one most definitely will not feel the same.

I worry about the D-pad the most, it doesn't look like those of the past dual shock controllers. The buttons seem bigger and there's less space between them. As for the design of the analogues, it seems alright I guess. It may make pressing them in a bit easier.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I don't think it's sleek enough looking to be official, Sony always got that right (and people are right about it looking wired). But I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't far off

I don't like the D-pad but maybe it plays better closer together

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
What happened to the "start" and "select" buttons? Did they replace that with the touch screen?...Oh god, why would any one do that o_O

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
If it's a legit photo, this is an early prototype with all the features they're looking to add. I'm thinking as development continues the controller will shrink back down to current dualshock size. On the possible center touchscreen, I really hate any input without any sensory feedback. If I have to look at it to know what I'm touching, what's the point?

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
mad825 said:
What happened to the "start" and "select" buttons? Did they replace that with the touch screen?...Oh god, why would any one do that o_O
I think it's been confirmed (rumoured?) that that's going to happen, with a Vita esque touch screen in place. I could believe it, it shouldn't be too annoying, although I don't see what anyone could do with it over than 2 buttons. It's not a good place to be swiping fingers

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Mr.Mattress said:
WiiU Ripoff! That thing is Ripping off the WiiU! Look at it! It has a SCREEN in the CENTER OF IT! RIPOFF!!!

In all seriousness, if that is the Controller, then that's kind of cool. Certainly an improvement to the standard controller (Not a fan of the PS-PS3 Controller).
Interesting. My first thought of the touchpad was that it was ripping off the OUYA

Hey, why not? Wii came out, & the PS3 suddenly had the DualShake

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
We have to remember that even if this is a legitimate PS4 controller prototype, we have no way of knowing how close this is to what we are actually going to get. Yes, the PS4 will probably be announced in less than a week, but we have no way of knowing how old this controller is, and even if it's the design we see at the announcement next week, it's not unheard of for controller designs to change post announcement (it happened with the PS3).

Still, I'm not a fan of the touch screen. It seems way too small to have any real use in games. It seems to serve no real purpose other than allowing Sony to say "hey guys look we have this too!" like with sixaxis.

Ironside

Mar 5, 2012
The only good thing i can say about it if it is real is that i like the increased size of the area where you hold it. If the damn thing isnt super heavy then yay Sony are making a controller which actually fits nicely in my hands like the xbox one does.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Remember when technology was focused on making things smaller and, more importantly, lighter? I miss those days...
I don't like superlight controllers. My friend has a PS3 controller without Dualshock, it feels far too light, it's just off. It makes me feel like I'll snap it half if I get a little overexcited, like a crappy third-party job.

The only thing that might bother me a touch about this is that your hands will be a bit far apart, but I doubt that would take much getting used to.

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
lots of xbox controller fans here, because i actually really like the DS layout, size, and weight. can't stand the bulkiness an xbox controller.

leave the analog sticks where they are, keep the DS size and weight if possible. hopefully it still has a start and select button too.

of course, who knows if this is an actual dev kit controller.

you guys do realize that a lighter controller means less stress on the hands/wrist holding it? if anything they should add places for removable weights, like some specialty mice and controllers do.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
The bigger the better please! I always lose the PS3 controller in my massive hands. I've yet to use a controller as comfortable as the Xbox 360's pad.

As for touch screens and other bullshit innovative interfaces... no Sony, just no.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
If this turns out to be true, I wonder what the screen is for. It's too small to be used the same way as the Wii U's controller. I hope they didn't just add it because Nintendo did it and it serves actually some purpose.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Looks like a real image but probably one of a prototype to me.

That said, it looks fine to me. I still prefer the Xbox analog stick locations, but I don't really see anything wrong with that controller at all. (despite my long abandoned hope that 6 face buttons would become a standard again at some time a la the Saturn controller)

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
I certainly hope it's not the real controller. Actually, I hope it's not even a prototype, because that would imply a possible attempt to include touch-screens, something I'm not a particular fan of. It's fine when the screen I'm touching is also the screen I'm looking at the majority of the time, but not when I have another, much larger screen to pay attention to.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
I like the look except the D-pad... all the buttons stuck together, prefer them to be seperate like they are at the moment.