Rumor: Gordon Brown Denied Steve Jobs a Knighthood

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
tkioz said:
LightspeedJack said:
Don't you have to be British to recieve a knighthood?
I think for a "real" (i.e one of the orders, there are different "levels") one you need to be a subject of the monarch, for example an Australian qualifies, we've had a few over the years, I think Canada has different rules on it actually, at least I read that somewhere.

However most anyone qualifies for an honorary, officially you have to preform some exemplary service to the world, be it in the arts or charity work or whatever, and citizenship doesn't come into it, but some of the people that have ended up with them recently make you wonder wtf is going on, it seems like they are handed out by the government to drum up publicity... I feel sorry for the Queen being asked to knight idiots like Beckham.
You can be appointed any rank of the Order of the British Empire regardless of your nationality. However, only nationals of a Commonwealth Realm - a nation of which HM Queen Elizabeth II is still Queen (such as the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand) - may use an associated title, such as "Sir". Note that MBEs don't come with the title "Sir" or "Dame" anyway, only OBE and above.

Non-nationals may still use the post-nominals such as "OBE" or "KBE", though.

dunnace

Oct 10, 2008
Completely understandable politician behaviour. Uses power to win supporter, fails, uses power to ignore opportunity. It happens.

CaptQuakers

Feb 14, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Psh, if David Beckham can get a Knighthood, any moron can, which is sad, because it lessens it for people who actually deserve it like, like David Attenborough and Patrick Stewart.

Why does 'Mr. Steve 'iSell shoddy crap' Jobs deserve one?
David Beckham does a lot for grass roots football along with numerous charitable events including all the word he has done for UNICEF . Not to mention the fact that he is amoung the most capped players for England. Just because he Isn't the most intelligent he Is still a hero to millions of people.

If all the above not worthy of a recognition then what is ?

EDIT: I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure that the PM has no say in the Honours list

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Arkley said:
tkioz said:
LightspeedJack said:
Don't you have to be British to recieve a knighthood?
I think for a "real" (i.e one of the orders, there are different "levels") one you need to be a subject of the monarch, for example an Australian qualifies, we've had a few over the years, I think Canada has different rules on it actually, at least I read that somewhere.

However most anyone qualifies for an honorary, officially you have to preform some exemplary service to the world, be it in the arts or charity work or whatever, and citizenship doesn't come into it, but some of the people that have ended up with them recently make you wonder wtf is going on, it seems like they are handed out by the government to drum up publicity... I feel sorry for the Queen being asked to knight idiots like Beckham.
You can be appointed any rank of the Order of the British Empire regardless of your nationality. However, only nationals of a Commonwealth Realm - a nation of which HM Queen Elizabeth II is still Queen (such as the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand) - may use an associated title, such as "Sir". Note that MBEs don't come with the title "Sir" or "Dame" anyway, only OBE and above.

Non-nationals may still use the post-nominals such as "OBE" or "KBE", though.
Ahh good to know, I'm a bit fuzzy on my nobility.I still think they should have given us Australian's dukes, lords, and earls and stuff, it would be cool to be Earl of Wagga Wagga ;)

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Wait... people get knighted (silly word) for making a shitload of money?
I mean, sure that'S an achievement, but I am sure Mister Jobs doesn't need the Queens pat on the shoulder to know he's doing a fine Job.
The mountain of gold he sleeps on with the solid-diamond-prostitute already let him know that.

Ashsaver

Your friendly Yandere
Jun 10, 2010
Honorary Knight Steve Jobs of the house of Apple!

I'd say:Make Jobs a Knight,then set him up for a jousting tournament.

Aug 25, 2009
vansau said:
According to The Telegraph... The Telegraph, Source: Geek
Well there's your problem.

The Telegraph is a notoriously right wing newspaper in Britain, not quite as bad as the Daily Mail or Express but certainly nowhere near unbiased journalism. Think FOX news but with more emphasis on traditional values. Unless your already right wing, you probably consider the Telegraph a joke if you live in England.

Which is why I don't think this is at all true, the Telegraph is also well known for fabricating stories about the left when they run out of news, again not quite to the extent of the Mail, but still. Gordon Brown was a left-wing Prime Minister, basically the Telegraph's sworn enemy. This is libelous journalism, nothing more.

Dec 14, 2009
MelasZepheos said:
vansau said:

The Telegraph is a notoriously right wing newspaper in Britain, not quite as bad as the Daily Mail or Express but certainly nowhere near unbiased journalism. Think FOX news but with more emphasis on traditional values. Unless your already right wing, you probably consider the Telegraph a joke if you live in England.

Which is why I don't think this is at all true, the Telegraph is also well known for fabricating stories about the left when they run out of news, again not quite to the extent of the Mail, but still. Gordon Brown was a left-wing Prime Minister, basically the Telegraph's sworn enemy. This is libelous journalism, nothing more.
I read your post in the voice of Basil the Great Mouse Detective. It was awesome.

Aug 25, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
MelasZepheos said:
vansau said:

I read your post in the voice of Basil the Great Mouse Detective. It was awesome.
Then it appears I have suceeded in my attempt to bring back this most deductive of mice. Now if only there were others to further my adventure...

Quickly Daystar, there's not a moment to lost!

Dec 14, 2009
MelasZepheos said:
Daystar Clarion said:
MelasZepheos said:
vansau said:

Then it appears I have suceeded in my attempt to bring back this most deductive of mice. Now if only there were others to further my adventure...

Hark! Where is Toby, our faithful basset hound?

Aug 25, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
MelasZepheos said:
Daystar Clarion said:
MelasZepheos said:

Smile Everyone!

irani_che

Jan 28, 2010
MelasZepheos said:
Daystar Clarion said:
MelasZepheos said:
Daystar Clarion said:
MelasZepheos said:

Smile Everyone!

you have caused my nostalgia gland to explode.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
I'm surprised that either of them were even considered for Knighthood, let alone that Gates was actually knighted.

Though I guess this is further proof that something like nobility or the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire makes no fucking sense in a modern world- seriously, who the fuck cares about a goddamn title when living in the 21st Century.

irani_che

Jan 28, 2010
I'm sure Jobs will get along much better witht the current PM.
Both believe money and ass-kissing buy you status, respect and cool

beer_nuts

Dec 27, 2010
He was prime minister of the UK!!!

Is this a case of people thinking the UK is just england ???(usually americans tbh)

UK is made up of scotland , northern ireland and most importantly WALES :D

Riku'sTwilight

Dec 21, 2009
Wow reading the comments on this page make me seriously wonder how many of you are actually English.

The Queen only hands out MBE's, OBE's and Knighthood's to Members of the Commonwealth - Why Steve Jobs would get one is beyond me.
Plus all this talk about Beckham getting one, he got an MBE (I think, possibly OBE) but nowhere near a knighthood.

Why? Because he is, or was anyway the face of English football, he went along to the FIFA bid for the 2018 world cup with our current PM David Cameron and Prince William - ergo showing how much he actually means and how much he does for English football.

Many people get awards from the Queen for doing many different things, many people don't. It's just one of those things.

Oh and one final thing - yes the Telegraph is a joke newspaper over here, then again so are most...

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
I'd prevent Jobs from being knighted, too.

Don't care for the guy, or the company he speaks for.

Klarinette

May 21, 2009
He was even considered to be knighted in the first place? Seriously... I don't even. All you have to do is be rich nowadays to get into the club, eh? Either be rich or be a celebrity, a status even easier to attain than knighthood, which doesn't seem to be saying much...

Besides, he doesn't need to be a knight, does he? It would just be adding to his list of Reasons I'm A Rich, Elitist Asshole And Totally Own You.

Pilkingtube

Edible
Mar 24, 2010
Exterminas said:
Wait... people get knighted (silly word) for making a shitload of money?
I mean, sure that'S an achievement, but I am sure Mister Jobs doesn't need the Queens pat on the shoulder to know he's doing a fine Job.
The mountain of gold he sleeps on with the solid-diamond-prostitute already let him know that.
No it's not the money, usually it's what you do with it. Like Bill Gates who recieved an honourary knighthood under 'services to technology' or 'services to enterprise' (I forget which) when really it was a philanthrophy knighthood because of the billions he donates to various causes against HIV/malaria/poverty etc etc. Steve Jobs however has intentionally removed all charitable donations that Apple gives away and doesn't even appear on the Forbes philanthropy list. Besides, for foreign citizens it isn't like it affects these people anyway, it's just a nice medal. :)

I however, would totally love having a knighthood, though first I need to do something pretty neat.. i'll think of something.