Rumor: Hackers Crack PS3 Copy Protection

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
I like my PS3 being piracy free, it just seems nicer that way ^_^

If they really did manage to hack it i hope it won't affect other people's experience, like i know the PSP hasn't had trophies implemented because it's so easy to hack.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
As much as this sucks, I have to say, well done to Sony for keeping it hack-free for so damn long. Holy heck, several years is a pretty impressive run, much better than, say, Ubisoft's DRM :p

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
Syntax Error said:
Dioxide20 said:
Trying to crack proof your console just delays the inevitable. It will always happen.
Isn't that the point by now? You can't stop piracy, so just make sure that you can hinder their progress long enough for you to get past the critical points of your sales (either based on time or units sold) so that you can make a return on your investments.
If ps3 piracy was possible day one, they only would've sold more consoles.

I can't speak for everyone, but a good portion of 'gaming' PCs are built with the assumption costs will be offset by the fact game purchases aren't a pure gamble.

As far as the article... overly romantic much? Its software based computing. If it can be accessed, it can be modified. Now lets get to work on brain hacking.

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
Straying Bullet said:
Still better than actually hardware modding your own 360.
360 piracy hasn't been reliant on hardware modifications for a couple years. Most games are burn and play.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
I just gotta add that hackers do not hack stuff to get free stuff especially the really tough nuts to crak like a ps3. Spending years on it for something that is going to be unwieldly to pirate for or hideously expensive to pirate for, many hackers do it to see if they can beat the beast. To see if they can top their peers that have tried to hack the same thing and to fight the power.

Now all that said bootleg shops in other nations are common place. People buy their pirated games from shops in many places for a fraction of the cost of the retail games. If this works those shops will be buying the burners and the disks and selling ps3 games along with the hack to people still probably well under what a legit sony game costs in those countries.

Will be interesting to see how fast firmware updates are forced on the ps3 to make this hack obsolete but older games could be ripe for the hacking, since they should run on any firmware that already exists and that this hack works on.

But for the typical home user i doubt this will ever become a do it yourself thing just because of the size of the games involved and the logistics of burning them, even if you can run them off the harddrive somehow that is a lot of time spending dling the thing if you need to put the whole disk image on your ps3 drive. And more than likely would would have to run your ps3 offline and loose any updates and dlc and multiplayer and newer games that require a update might not work at all with this hack and void any other games you have hacked.

Too soon to tell if or how well this thing would work at all or very long.

oranger

May 27, 2008
Well, we all knew it would happen anyways..and you know what? who uses the PSN seriously? multiplayers, and they generally don't pirate.

whattheblub

Nov 18, 2009
Calhoun347 said:
John Funk said:
PS3's unique hardware and software made it essentially immune to piracy
No it didn't. It's a matter of the popularity really.

The PS3 is the least popular of the consoles, therefore there is less people interested in doing it, and less people to market it to.

It's like Viruses and Mac's. Mac's are no more immune than any other system, they just account for so low a market-share, there is no reason to make the effort to make them.

Jarrid said:
JediMB said:
John Funk said:
Even worse, this method of piracy doesn't seem to require any hardware modifications (like needing to "modchip" your Xbox 360 or Wii) - just software and the USB dongle.
To be fair, all you need for the Wii is an SD card.
Why would you want to hack a Wii?

I did it to be able to play scummVM-compatible point-and-click adventure games on my Wii.
I think one of the reasons the PS3 got hacked last was actually the ability to run linux from the start. Most of the Wii mods are based on the homebrew channel which was developed to run linux on the Wii ( the Chaos Computer Club made some interesting videos about the developement of the homebrew channel)With the PS3 the hackers couldn't use the work from the linux community to develope there own mods.
Regarding viruses for Macs: it's simply more difficult to program them. Under the old Windows systems (XP and below) the normal user would have administrato rights by default, whereas on a Mac the user is not able to get root access. It's the design of the operating system which makes it more challenging to run viruses

nYuknYuknYuk

Jul 12, 2009
Sony will probably shut this down ASAP. They aren't about to lose that edge with game devs just when the tide is turning.

Calhoun347

Aug 25, 2009
whattheblub said:
I think one of the reasons the PS3 got hacked last was actually the ability to run linux from the start. Most of the Wii mods are based on the homebrew channel which was developed to run linux on the Wii ( the Chaos Computer Club made some interesting videos about the developement of the homebrew channel)With the PS3 the hackers couldn't use the work from the linux community to develope there own mods.
That is also true, but there is still the popularity factor.

whattheblub said:
Regarding viruses for Macs: it's simply more difficult to program them. Under the old Windows systems (XP and below) the normal user would have administrato rights by default, whereas on a Mac the user is not able to get root access. It's the design of the operating system which makes it more challenging to run viruses
Also true, but if the market share ratio were flipped, you'd see tons of viruses for Mac's and almost nothing for windows. It's not worth it to make something DESIGNED to infect as many people as possible, in a place where it Can't do that.

Aug 25, 2009
graverobber2 said:
MelasZepheos said:
While I agree that the pirates are the ones who started the whole thing, I don't think you can deny that DRM's have somewhat become a reason (or at least: a very, very, very good excuse) to pirate games. Some DRM's can be extremely irritating (Ubisoft requires constant internet connection, Securom requires a CD/DVD,... ). First thing I do when I buy a game is search for a crack to get rid of the DRM (with steam as one of the only exceptions).

If game developers/publishers would stop spending so much money on DRM's and instead use whatever money they saved to offer the game at a lower price, there would probably be a lot less piracy.

Lower prices would also solve their problem with used games ==> lower prices mean that you can gain less profit from selling them, making it less interesting to sell them.

somewhat more on topic: PS3 still has the advantage that the hardware you need is quite expensive (unless they find some way to run games from external HD's)
That isn't really an argument with any backing to it. You can blame the publishers for not making succesful methods of keeping piracy down, but in the end all of the blame must fall on the pirates, because if they weren't there the DRM wouldn't be there. DRMs are not a good reason to pirate games, they are simply a justification for the pirates to say 'yeah we might be breaking the law, but look at how nasty these big corporations are.' It's pitiful.

And also, in regards to cheaper games, you are referring to a group who pirated a game for which they only needed to pay a dollar, or whatever it was for that Indie bundle. While they may be ruining it for the honest gamers who I'm sure are in the minority, anyone who would pirate a game that cheap (and in many cases they actually cost the developers money by using their own servers remember), doesn't have a leg to stand on in my opinion.

VirusHunter

Nov 19, 2009
Piracy on the PS3...I can see how some people would think that it wouldn't be popular due to blu-rays being a whole 50+ gigabytes, but not many PS3 games actually take advantage of a blu-ray's impressive storage size. A USB loader would most certainly be made by some guy allowing people to by a couple TB hard drives and put their games on that.

And as for USB disabling, Sony can't do that, as they advertised that feature as a part of the PS3.

If Sony were to release new PS3s that only allow certain licensed USB things to work, that would be totally legal.

As for updates that disable the mod or releasing new games that install a new update, They've tried that before with the PSP (Nintendo's done the same for the Wii) and it hasn't stopped pirates. They create bypasses, hack the official updates, disable any updates on games and play away.

If there's one rule that I have figured out about the internet, it is this. Pirates always win. You can slow them down but you cannot stop them.

And this is why I don't care about piracy when I release my stuff on the internet. Pirates don't buy my stuff, I don't get money from them, so why should I care about them? I only care about the people who pay for my stuff, so I make something that those people would like.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
Arkley said:
Even if it does work, and even if applying the device and its software to the PS3 is fast and easy, it still won't create a massive amount of piracy on the console, and certainly not the level of piracy the Wii and 360 have struggled with. The reason for this is simple:

To mod a Wii, all you need is an SD card and the ability to follow simple instructions. Everyone has an SD card, even your grandmother. The games (a mere 4ish gb in size) are then burned on simple, run of the mill DVDs with any old burner & burning program.

To mod a 360, all you need is the ability to follow simple instructions, although it does involve popping off the case of both the 360 and your computer. The games (a very managable 7.5ish gb in size) are burned easily on cheap dual-layered DVDs, and just about all modern DVD drives can burn to them.

Now, to mod a PS3, you'll need an imported piece of hardware, which will obviously cost you money. You'll need a blu ray burner, which are still uncommon and pretty expensive (200+ USD). You'll need to download or rip the games, which can be huge - between 20 & 50 gb. Blue ray discs themselves aren't cheap, especially not the dual layered ones.

All in all, with the amount of money it will cost you to be able to start burning and playing pirated PS3 games, you could quite easily buy a sizeable collection of real PS3 games, and not risk being banned from PSN/sued by anyone. You could probably make the trip to your local store a whole bunch of times in the ungoddly amount of time it would take to download & burn a 50gb game.
Quoted for considerable levels of truth. Pirate gamers are in this for no-cost gaming; the time and money costs of this venture make it far less desirable. Unless you've got a godly internet connection, the mere act of downloading the data, let alone porting it over to the console via disc or external memory unit, makes it impractical. Of course, this all assumes this is legit and not just another hoax. Either way, Sony has relatively little to fear, least until internet connections become more amazing or blu-ray burners & blanks become a lot cheaper.

LogieBear

Mar 19, 2010
If it can play ROMS and Homebrews im not complaining, everything gotta be hacked eventually.
Finally Ps2 Roms on the Ps3 Slim, man that pissed me off

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Forgive my naivete but.. if there's a software element, doesn't that make the 'jailbreaker' vulnerable to an OS update screwing it up?

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
Let's just hope that Sony releases an update quickly to prevent the software from working to lol @ all of the people trying to break the system.

fgdfgdgd

May 9, 2009
Joe Kilner said:
If it is just a USB device, what's the bet it can be nullified with a firmware upgrade...

On a related note, if the PS3 is so piracy free, then why aren't the games cheaper?
Because that would make sense and would cost them money *rolls eyes* because obviously they couldn't make games any cheaper for one console otherwise that console would be more dominant in the market and would make them more money, but no, instead they choose to keep an arms race between the consoles and make massive profits from all rather than one...in short, Developers are evil souless money grubbing asshats.