Rumor: Hackers Crack PS3 Copy Protection

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
I really hope it's true. I don't own a PS3, so it's not like I want it to pirate PS3 games, but it's just because Sony said it was hackerproof.

Nothing is hackerproof.They released some sort of quantum networking... thing, a while back, that they said was unhackable. Hacked within a month.

If you have to code something, the code can be reversed.

Also, I can't see that much piracy occuring on the PS3. Blu-rays hold up to 50GB, right? So most games might be like 25GB+ Who wants to download that? No one but the most hardcore pirate.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
razer17 said:
I really hope it's true. I don't own a PS3, so it's not like I want it to pirate PS3 games, but it's just because Sony said it was hackerproof.

Nothing is hackerproof.They released some sort of quantum networking... thing, a while back, that they said was unhackable. Hacked within a month.

If you have to code something, the code can be reversed.

Also, I can't see that much piracy occuring on the PS3. Blu-rays hold up to 50GB, right? So most games might be like 25GB+ Who wants to download that? No one but the most hardcore pirate.
Well the multiplatform games which still generally sell better on the 360 probably don't use much in the way of space. But I can't see this thing being a big problem for first party games.

Hassao

Jul 2, 2010
New record!

No really nice for going this long with out much piracy, thou I should buy al the games I want on the PS3 befor they up the prices to "recover" their losses.

Oh, companys do loose mony with piracy, see Person A goes out and purches Game Z, but if instead he/she pirates it then Developers of game Z dont GET that profit. Its less about loosing money in theft and more like lost to compition.

Tribuner

Mar 18, 2010
It would not shock me to find out that this is not a Hokes and it is very real. I would like to mention that putting un-ortherised software on to your playstation3 will only end up with you gaining future problems. Sony is a very smart company with smart employs working at the firm. They will most probably cut you off from updates, going online, signing in to your PSN and other inconvenience for you. I would like to further say that it is best for you to be honest with what you perches from your stores. Just save up for your games, not hack. People put in allot of effort for you to enjoy the game and you will only insult them by hacking.

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
MelasZepheos said:
This sort of thing just annoys me, probably because I don't get piracy at all. I've never fully accepted that it isn't just stealing and I don't see why people steal luxuries like games etc. You don't need games, you just want them, and any technology that allows you to encourage an entitlement complex towards owning stuff will just keep twisting until you genuinely believe you have some sort of given right to own anything free.

It's not healthy, mentally or in a wider social context. And of course piracy does hurt the gaming industry, no matter what the pirates argue about 'striking a blow against the corporate businesses.' Even if the effect is indirect, ie. the whole DRM fiasco over Assassin's Creed II, you are still hurting the industry directly as a result of piracy.

Because I just know people are going to take offence to my Ubisoft DRM point, allow me to elaborate with this thing we call Earth logic instead of insane troll logic.

DRM was introduced as a method of countering piracy, if piracy had not been in existence there would have been no need to introduce the DRM in the first place. The counter-measures to piracy did not come first, otherwise they would be called pre-emptive measures, they came about because people pirated first. Thus this entire insane battle to try and defeat pirates vs trying to steal other people's intellectual property and hard work was in fact started by the pirates.

This is not some glorious anti-corporation striking for the working man sort of blow, this is self-entitled greedy immature people who just didn't want to pay something all those years ago when gaming first became vaguely popular.
An excellent point well made. A friend of mine owns some copied DVD's and I keep thinking "Isn't that illegal?".

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
Meh, that's only part 1 accomplished.

Next would be easily being able to get blu-ray disc images, some of which go upto 50GB, not to mention the cost of blank blu-ray discs and a blu-ray burner drive.

PS3 piracy still wouldn't catch on with those kinds of costs.

Marter said:
I guess I'll just sit back and wait for the update which disables the USB ports on my PS3.

*sigh*
Ah damn I didn't think of that. Sounds like a SONY move after the removal of the other OS option.

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
It was never hack proof, in the same way MacOS and Linux are no more resistant to virus infection than Windows. The PS3s architecture is fairly new still, It's not a common configuration so electronic-do badders, couldn't just port over thier old tricks. Cats out of the bag now and pirates dance the night away.
Om Nom Nom said:
MelasZepheos said:
This sort of thing just annoys me, probably because I don't get piracy at all. I've never fully accepted that it isn't just stealing and I don't see why people steal luxuries like games etc.
By definition, piracy isn't stealing. Stealing something is to take it away from the owner. Pirating software creates an entirely new copy that generates no direct loss.

Still illegal, mind.

That said, if (hypothetically) I have no intention/means of ever buying some game, and I pirate it instead, where is the harm? The industry wouldn't have gotten the money for it even if piracy didn't exist.
It's a cute example, one alot of pirates live by. I wasn't gonna buy it anyway. I'm left to take thier word for it, or don't. Of course you weren't gonna buy it, you were gonna pirate it. I agree that we shouldn't concern ourselves with more "casual pirates" that basically have no income or just enough to eat on. But that defense works best when what your pirating is a SNES emulator and chrono trigger rom, cause that's all your 10 year old gateway can run.

When your blasting Killzone 3 through your 50inch flatscreen and 5 speaker surround, I question the "I had no money to give you defense". The no intention to buy, followed by piracy isn't actually a defense at all. You desired the game, you refused to pay for it, that's piracy 101.