Rumor: Halo: Combat Evolved Remake Likely in 2011

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: Halo: Combat Evolved Remake Likely in 2011

An unnamed source has reportedly leaked all sorts of details about the rumored remake of the original Halo title.

As the new overseers of the Halo: Combat Evolved [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Reach-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA20M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296840438&sr=8-1], and puts it down for a release in the holiday season of 2011.

An unconfirmed source once again tells Joystiq that a higher resolution remake of Combat Evolved is in the works, supporting 1080p. The remake is said to be in development at Saber Interactive, known for Timeshift [http://www.amazon.com/Timeshift-Pc/dp/B000HMQE8S/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1296840935&sr=1-3].

The source says the remake is undergoing a visual overhaul with entirely new art assets, but that it probably doesn't use the Halo: Reach engine. In addition, it'll support 3D for those that own a 3DTV, and will feature online co-op. As players might be used to totally different controller configurations by now, the remake will also allow players to reconfigure their controls to modern standards.

If real, the Combat Evolved remake will probably launch on November 15, 2011. All of this information is 100% unconfirmed, but 343 Industries did say that "cool new content" is coming to Halo fans in 2011. November 15 just happens to be the 10th anniversary of the launch of Combat Evolved, so an upgrade for Xbox 360 owners would make a lot of sense this year.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/04/halo-combat-evolved-hd/]

Zanez

Aug 8, 2008
Of all games to remake... All the ones that need graphic overhauls, updated mechanics, 1080p, new cutscenes, and a second chance at a solid audience...

Why remake this one?

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Releasing it so close to Skyrim? It may have to keep the shelf warm for a while until I've at least beaten the main story. I am glad to see HD remakes of a lot of great games, I wonder if there will be any "additions" to the game or if it will bee 100% in its original form with the exception of the graphics overhaul. I really think The Library could use a bit more variety from floor to floor. Also keeping my fingers crossed that they retain all the original voice acting.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Is this to show people that they really have been playing the same game for the past 10 years?

I mean, WHY? If you insist on carrying on with Halo, do something new with it for once.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Like I said in a similar thread. I'm skeptical and if it is true then I'll make my final judgment when see the game in action.

Also I hope that they bring in the rest of the Covenant species, their weapons, and their vehicles.

*Leaves before all the haters start bitching*

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Man imagine the threads whining about this the closer it gets.

Better version of a game ppl love but is outdated=awesome.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Enkidu88 said:
If they retconn the stupid bloody Flood out of existence I'm all for it.
This. I actually enjoyed Halo up to the point where the Flood were revealed. After that, well, let's say I wish this franchise would burn in the pits of hell.

Also, it would be nice if you got to play Halo 1 from the viewpoint of the Covenant. But that would require work and dedication.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Fuck yeah. I played Halo CE for months with my friends seeing how is better and the campaign was also great. I hope this is true.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Interesting... It makes sense, but I am not sure if I would buy it. Yes, I consider the first Halo to be one of the best games ever, but I do not think graphical upgrades alone would convince me to buy a game that I already have and still play...

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Oh, so THIS is how you get around saying you "won't continue the series".

Well played, you sneaky, sneaky monkeys.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
I'll believe it when I see it, either on the shelves or announced by 343 Industries. A rumour from an anonymous source means about as much to me as a Bat Boy sighting.

Frankly, though, I don't see the point. All the expense of redoing the imagery for the same ol' gameplay, when the original title is still playable on the same hardware as the remake. It just seems superfluous to me... and even with my die-hard Halo fan credentials I won't be buying a shinier version of a game I already have and love.

-- Steve

David Sterling

Apr 5, 2010
Co-op campaign = <3

One of the major reasons why I think 343 is trying for a remake is for multiplayer, which was sadly lacking on the console versions.

Now sure, you can pick up Halo: Combat Evolved for the PC and have multiplayer, and user created multiplayer maps (Custom Edition ftw), but I see this whole thing as enabling console users to play multiplayer in Halo:CE.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Look, I love Halo, or used to love it at least, but this is absolutely pointless. Remake a truly old game that deserves to be put in the spotlights once more. Halo is an incredibly succesful franchise, it doesn't need to be in the spotlights even more.

Apr 28, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Oh, so THIS is how you get around saying you "won't continue the series".

Well played, you sneaky, sneaky monkeys.
Nah, Bungie won't be making anymore Halo games, but that doesn't mean Microsoft won't make others make more Halo games.