Rumor: Mass Effect 3 Getting "Better with Kinect"

Tarakos

May 21, 2009
Ugh, well I already know I'm not playing w/ Kinect as I'll never buy one, so this doesn't bother me too much. This probably had something to do w/ the delay, or they just didn't want to get caught up in the MW3 VS Battlefield 3 mess.

But I hope that isn't the cover they're going with. Better than 2's, but still

Jan 11, 2009
Are people really stupid enough to think that an OPTIONAL ADD-ON for this is really going to ruin the whole game? It really seems that way.

This will almost definitely simply be used for navigating menus for powers or conversations and maybe using biotics, which I would welcome wholeheartedly. Honestly, it's generally accepted that the combat isn't the reason to buy Mass Effect, the story will still be as great as it always has been, as will the characters, so I really don't see what all the fuss is about.

Aug 25, 2009
You know, I'd call myself a hardcore Mass Effect fan, and this is perhaps the one thing I have been clamouring the hardest to keep the fuck out of my space opera. So not all hardcore Mass Effect fans are asking for this.

But the point, somewhere beneath the layers of hatred for motion controls, is this:

I hate motion controls. They are for pastel shirted casual gamers who have no place intruding upon the games of those of us who know which end to hold a controller. I don't hate the motion control brigade, because their large pockets and seeming disregard for their disposable income are what is keeping gaming afloat, I have no doubt, but couldn't we have two sides to gaming, one where all the pastel shirted etcs are kept happy by Wii Sports XIII and Kinectimals Strike Back, while on the other side the serious game developers make actual fucking games?

Mass Effect is a game for gamers, and as far as I can see the only reason a real gamer has one is for the numerous hacking mods or because their girlfriend wants to play with the magic smiles machine sometimes as well.

And what with my enthusiasm for Mass Effect 3 draining by the day, if by the release date they actually require you to buy a Kinect to play the thing, it would be the fastest way to ensure they don't get my £60 boyo.

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Apparently, the folks at BioWare have been cooking something that all hardcore Mass Effect fans have been clamoring for: Kinect support.
That's...has any hardcore Mass Effect fan ever wished for this?
This could be really cool, if they implemented it like a Milo and Kate sort of thing, where you actually come up with the questions to ask people instead of the misleadingly written dialogue wheels. It could also be really bad, however, if they try to implement it as a way of aiming or something during combat.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
This is the first real red flag for me, I do not approve nor wish to support Kinect.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
EonEire said:
C'mon making Shepard look more like me with some sort of face scanner!
Not a bad idea, but I'd rather play through with my existing characters, so unless they updated 1 and 2 to use the tech as well, I don't see the appeal.

gbemery

Jun 27, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Apparently, the folks at BioWare have been cooking something that all hardcore Mass Effect fans have been clamoring for: Kinect support.
Whoa whoa whoa, don't be grouping me in with anybody who wants to gimmick up an already great title. What is this "something that ALL hardcore Mass Effect fans have been clamoring for?" I'm a major fan of Mass Effect and I could careless for Kinect support. I guess I'm just not "hardcore" enough. As long as it isn't "forced" upon us I guess it will be alright. As long that they don't make it where just regular controller playing is limited, feels clunky, where you can't control some of the same features as you could with Kinect, or if it becomes pretty much an in game commercial for Kinect as in every damn loading screen says something like "Try your Mass Effect experience with Kinect :D "...ooooo ima be so mad.

Greg Tito said:
Smart money says that adding this Kinect support is a major reason why the game is delayed. In all honesty, most folks would probably like for the game to be out rather than fiddle around with motion controls.
I agree it is probably safe to say that IS the main reason for its delay...now I'm kind of disappointed now. I wonder if the people at Bioware were excited about adding Kinect or were "excited" about Having to add Kinect?

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
Meh, I'm not too worried about this. I mean, I don't think that they would make using Kinect absolutely neccesary right? And even if this is true, I'm sure the Kinect features would make sense. I could probably see it work with some minigames that you do like planet probing or hacking. All in all, its nothing to get too worried or excited about. Though if it does work, and the game does it well, thats just bonus points for those that have Kinect.

Blank Kold

Aug 24, 2010
Seeing as how Mass Effect is not published by microsoft, an xbox exclusive, or really in a position to benefit from the motion controls the kinect would offer, y'all gettin' trolled.

EonEire

Feb 7, 2008
Krantos said:
EonEire said:
C'mon making Shepard look more like me with some sort of face scanner!
Not a bad idea, but I'd rather play through with my existing characters, so unless they updated 1 and 2 to use the tech as well, I don't see the appeal.
Well in ME1 my character kinda looked like me, minus the fish-eyes and strange at times lips. In ME2 I refined it a bit more with the more options given, so with ME3 getting it another bit closer as with 2 would be nice also.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
AxelxGabriel said:
Ah EA... always finding someway to &#%$ up the Mass Effect games

First it was the Mako in ME

then the Mining in ME2

And now Adding Kinect for ME3

If anyone from EA is reading this, tell me: Do you guys stay up for NIGHTS on end to come up with this crap?!
You do know EA weren't actually involved with ME1? Also, the Mako was good, unless you just plain sucked at controlling it. ME2's surveying was a bit dull, but it had to be done. Where the proof is that any of that was EA's decision though, I don't know.

However, if there's any game that I can imagine not needing any kind of support for Kinect, it's Mass Effect 3. How many of us would actually use it, really? The thought of seeing the ME3 box emblazoned with the words "Better with Kinect" fills me a sense of foreboding. Still it probably fits on the box easier than "Better with robust storyline, well-written dialogue, fleshed out characters, balanced combat and varied environments". Just saying.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
People need to learn the meaning of the word RUMOUR

OT: I doubt this will happen, and if it does, i say haha to everyone who said no hardcore titles will come to Kinect.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
boag said:
This is the first real red flag for me, I do not approve nor wish to support Kinect.

Rumour: information, often a mixture of truth and untruth, passed around verbally.

Now do you understand? and everyone else who says "NO KINECT WILL RUIN EVERYTHING"

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Wait, who has actually been clamouring for Kinect in ME3?

I have visions of the internet erupting about it being 'dumbed down' like it does everytime EA or Bioware mention anything about the game.

I know right? When I read that I thought "bullshit!!" Kinect support would just make it worse not better.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
They are adding the flail weapon....Shepard gains the "Knight" class and basically you run forward into your foes flailing your arms until all are dead...

STOP MAKING ME MOVE FOR MY DAMN GAMES

maybe you have to crouch behind a chesthigh wall (only $75 extra) to take cover!

Dont Forget

They are making it better....

-Jedi hand wave-

You will love it....

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Fuck you EA. Fuck you. It's not some gimmicky family game, it's a sci fi RPG. Because you're having them do this stupid shit, you're losing some polish on the game.