Rumor: Microsoft in Talks to Buy Silent Hills, Make it Xbox Exclusive - Update

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I don't see this happening. It's a niche genre. If it does happen what are the odds that it will only be Silent Hill in name? In my opinion it's pretty damn good odds that it will be "updated" with all the best shooter bits.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Would be ironic as Silent Hill used to be a Sony exclusive. lol. Dont know why people are moaning at MS, they are buying the game for the fans that own XB1s. They have no reason to care about the competition. Same as with Sony buying up PS4 only exclusive DLC on games, they dont care about XB1 gamers. I also dont think the Silent Hill franchise is worth billions as the last good one was SH2 and went down hill from there. Silent Hills only got the attention it got due to the people making it - we have zero evidence of what Kojima and Del Toro were doing. I think the idea of it was exciting.

Now it would be nice if it was released on PS4 as well. But would Sony allow MS to release a game on their console?

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
If this is true then I don't really see any issue with this, I remember the same belly-aching when Nintendo published Bayonetta 2 and it's the same situation here. Would you rather the game not exist at all? That's pretty spiteful.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Maybe if it were all of Konami's IP's, but billions of dollars for Silent Hill alone..?

And if this would indeed be true, would Kojima and Del Toro still be working it? Because that's what got a lot of people hyped about P.T. and Hills. Silent Hill as a franchise has been a sad sack since the start of the 7th generation.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Bob_McMillan said:
Is it just me, or does it seem like every single news bit we get about Microsoft is about then trying to sell the Xbone? Not that I have a problem with it. I wish Sony would get off their ass and stop being so smug and try to be competetive.
Couldn't agree with this more.

I mean, for Christ's sake, when the 3DS launch was such a disaster, Sony had every opportunity to make the Vita the reigning handheld, and didn't even bother trying. And now we have Dragon Quest VIII, a PS2 Sony Exclusive, getting remade on the 3DS and looking like shit because the 3DS' graphical capabilities are a joke.

As for the OP, people defending this by saying "It's better than not getting it at all," need to realize something. If any of this is true, we're most likely not getting Silent Hills. That game died when Konami canned it. What we'd be getting is a facsimile of the original idea that just happens to share the name.

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
80% complete? Doubtful. If you have a game at 80% complete, you don't pull the plug on it after investing so much money and manpower with nothing to show for it. Konami can't afford to make those kinds of moves like Blizzard could with their Titan project.

Lvl 64 Klutz said:
As for the OP, people defending this by saying "It's better than not getting it at all," need to realize something. If any of this is true, we're most likely not getting Silent Hills. That game died when Konami canned it. What we'd be getting is a facsimile of the original idea that just happens to share the name.
Couldn't agree with you more. No Kojima, no del Toro means not the same direction, leaving only the faintest hope of mimicking their vision and style...going under the assumption that Microsoft doesn't just salt and burn the original concept and utilizes its own in-house crew with Western horror sensibilities.

Edited: BTW, does Kojima or Konami own the FOX Engine? If Konami does own it, would they be effectively selling it off to Microsoft or just allowing them to utilize it for the express purpose of the Silent Hills IP?

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
I'm not sure I believe this. At least not all of it. I mean, isn't Microsoft kind of in a similar mood as Konami?

In that, a lot of people outside the gaming part of the company want out of the games industry. It's hard to picture them putting Billions (or even just a billion) dollars into what was a dying franchise.

Also, as others have mentioned, the interest in the game was coming from the people involved in making it, so if they don't have that, then they just got the Silent Hill name, and sorry to any fans but that isn't worth a billion dollars.

If it is true, I guess it's better than Konami sitting on the franchise for years and doing nothing with it, but since I don't own an X-box I guess it doesn't matter to me. ;p

Korastus

Dec 4, 2013
This seems like an INCREDIBLY flimsy rumor, to be honest. "Billions of dollars"? "80% complete"? I call bullshit.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
For Christ sake, just do something with Alan wake you short sighted numb nuts.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Starke said:
But, billions? Seriously? Microsoft is now going to pay more to buy a franchise than it has ever made in sales? I mean, Minecraft... okay, that made sense, it was a license to print money.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if it really is billions, then Microsoft is trying to buy Konami's entire game development arm from them as opposed to 'just' Silent Hill.

Billions for Metal Gear, Pre Evo Soccer, Dance Dance Revolution and the rest would make a (small) degree more sense, alternatively the billions bit is a miscommunication and it's really a few millions. It would be nice to see Silent Hills released, even on the (hurk) Xbone.

Wouldn't make me buy one though.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
It kind of makes sense. Most of it.

The billions aspect? It makes more sense that if MS bought all of Konami's IP's to make exclusive. But, just Silent Hills?

Well, MS is pretty freaking big, I suspect Konami is probably milking them pretty hard.

As for the exclusivity bit? Both consoles are basically the same thing. The specs put both at a mid to low range PC with minor deviations in hardware. It's more true than ever that exclusives sell. It's been that way in the past, and it's going to remain this way forever. It's not hardware anymore. This is an IP that people want, and although it won't make MS billions, it could make hundreds of millions. Most people are not like me. When they see a console on their filing cabinet, they don't sigh and wish they could put a real OS on the console. They often go out and buy some mediocre 3DS games for it.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I can see microsoft wanting to buy silent hill, but I really don't see that property being worth billions. I mean at this point konami has already milked it pretty hard and you can only do so much of a horror series. Because horror series are about being scary and the more of a series there are, the less scary it is.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
o_O well... sucks for me since I thought P.T was awesome but I suppose it'd be nice to have the full game?

Though I'd say bullshit on the 80% and, honestly, bullshit it'd even still be GOOD if Rare are anything to go by. Microsoft haven't got a good track record with sh*t like this. I can't imagine Xbone is doing badly enough to warrant shelling out that kind of cash and I don't know what's going on with Konami but they are behaving INCREDIBLY erratically for what was once a big name.

I'm not even mad just totally baffled by how oddly this is shaping up.

UberGott

Feb 20, 2014
Short of MS cutting a check to buy all of Konami's IP - particularly for Metal Gear, which I could almost see happening in light of recent events - that "billions" number is a joke. Silent Hill has a lot of critical clout thanks to 2 and 3, but the franchise hasn't been a money maker since the PS2.

That whole "80% finished" thing must be a joke, though. Neither Norman Reedus nor Guillermo del Toro have contributed to the project. I doubt Hideo Kojima had done much beyond P.T. either, considering he's been working on The Phantom Pain for the last several years. Unless the game was thrown together in a month, even with the comparatively simple design of first-person horror games, I'm just not seeing it.

I'm up for MS owning Silent Hill. They couldn't possibly treat it any worse than Konami has been for the last decade. I'm just amazed anyone would think those two rumors are anything but crazy.

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
circularlogic88 said:
80% complete? Doubtful. If you have a game at 80% complete, you don't pull the plug on it after investing so much money and manpower with nothing to show for it. Konami can't afford to make those kinds of moves like Blizzard could with their Titan project.
This is actually not necessarily true. There are plenty of examples of games getting canned at stages of near completion. There was an article here on the Escapist about a week ago about how Star Fox 2 got canned when virtually done already, or if you want something more recent, Star Wars Battlefront 3 was cancelled in a near-finished stage as well.

The rumour mill has also been churning with reports that Konami's upper management are actually full of vindictive, cocky, arrogant pricks, and some of their past actions would lend credence not only to this, but also to a history of poor business decisions. Considering some of their other recent actions, it's looking very much like Silent Hills wasn't cancelled because it was bad or wasn't going to sell, but because management was looking specifically to spite Hideo Kojima. This isn't even the first time something similar to this has happened. When Keiji Inafune left Capcom, they cancelled a number of Mega Man titles that were in development at the time simply to be assholes. Considering that the majority of Konami's revenues come from pachinko machine sales, not console games, and a history of being assholes already established, it's very possible that Silent Hills WAS 80% done at time of cancellation.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
VinLAURiA said:
Now, I think that's rather childish. It's the same deal with Bayonetta 2 moving from PS3/360 to Wii U. Would you rather see the game completely buried just because you personally can't play it on your platform of choice? Yes, the demo was PS4 only, but if the game can be salvaged even if it's moved to a different platform, it's better in the big picture. Even outside of Bayonetta, this wouldn't be the first time a game is saved by being picked up by a rival manufacturer to its original system. Look at Super Meat Boy, for example: that game was originally announced for Wii and ended up becoming 360-only because the WiiWare size limit couldn't handle it, and XBLA releases have a digital exclusivity clause.

I mean, it may seem like a kick in the teeth to people who played P.T., but it was a free demo. There's only really a problem with this if people had to buy it and that money went into the game's development, or the purchase of the PS4 version was otherwise unrefundable somehow. Outside of maybe a five-dollar retailer pre-order that can easily be refunded or something, no one's put money down on Silent Hills yet. If it were something like Project CARS - where the Kickstarter was funded through Wii U version purchases and then the devs turned around and cancelled the Wii U version to move it to PS4/Xbone - different story, since that pretty much amounts to fraud and is breaking a transaction obligation. But Silent Hills doesn't have any consumer money put into it yet, and if Microsoft decides to inject their money into the project to make it exclusive, then that's their prerogative. Y'know, unless Sony decides to hang onto it and beats them to the punch.
This is the current state of gaming; if a game can't be on their system of choice it is better off dead (though that's before getting into how if you can afford one console I very much doubt people are incapable of having multiple systems). Heck, even other systems getting in on the action gets people pissed. For example, when it came up that that Kickstarter for Bloodstained has a stretch goal for a Wii U version (which will probably be reached by the end of today) I saw someone on another forum claim it was a waste. Why? What's so bad about other people getting to enjoy a game? It was baffling and it reveals a troubling undercurrent in gaming right now.

If MS gets Silent Hill, whatever, exclusives are needed in order to keep gaming diverse and make sure nobody has a monopoly. Plus MS kinda needs it since their first-party offerings are paltry (though I could get into their mismanagement, but that's for another day).

Setch Dreskar

Mar 28, 2011
God... as much as it would be good to see Silent Hills live and thus have a chance for us to get back to actual survival horror in the series. I have to side with the better dead than with Microsoft side, I mean we are talking about the company so far up its own ass that it was going to tell us we will get always online and like it or we can go to hell and buy a 360 instead. This is not a company I would trust with a series, any series, and would rather see Silent Hills sit idle and be picked up by someone else far later then let the greedy and out of touch hands of Micro$oft get it, rip it up to conform to their teen boy demographic testing groups and run it into the ground.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
I wouldn't mind MS buying stuff from Konami. Anybody is better than Konami.
But billions? I think the hype about Silent Hills existed because Guillermo Del Toro, Hideo Kojima and Norman Reedus being in on the project.
The franchise itself isn't worth billions...

Oh well... whatever. Not my money they might burn.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Starke said:
But, billions? Seriously? Microsoft is now going to pay more to buy a franchise than it has ever made in sales? I mean, Minecraft... okay, that made sense, it was a license to print money.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if it really is billions, then Microsoft is trying to buy Konami's entire game development arm from them as opposed to 'just' Silent Hill.

Billions for Metal Gear, Pre Evo Soccer, Dance Dance Revolution and the rest would make a (small) degree more sense, alternatively the billions bit is a miscommunication and it's really a few millions. It would be nice to see Silent Hills released, even on the (hurk) Xbone.

Wouldn't make me buy one though.
I could see Microsoft, maybe, offering to spend a couple billion for all of Konami's properties. Metal Gear, Castlevania, Silent Hill, Contra, ect. But I don't see Konami parting with those, because they intend to use them in their mobile/gambling interests.

Even then, the billions number seems a bit high.