Rumor: Microsoft Killed PC/Xbox Cross Platform Play

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Woodsey said:
Like I said, handicaps were put in place on the PC version:

"Because of the lack of 'pixel-accuracy' with the Xbox 360 analog thumbstick, the designers have included an aim-assisting technology, which basically interpolates the player's movement and causes the reticle to stay over an enemy player like a weak magnet. In addition, FASA has implemented a feature which causes the cross-hair to expand during quick movements, thus lowering the player's accuracy, making it impossible to quickly turn and maintain accuracy, reducing the potential advantage of playing with a mouse.[7][8] PC players, who have a more sensitive control scheme, are able to turn significantly faster than their controller-using counterparts and would have gained an unfair advantage."

(Wikipedia)

I also remember reading that the crosshairs on the PC version would wobble around slightly.
You beat me to it, I guess a lot of xbox players didn't realize this? It was only the main topic of discussion every Shadowrun game I got in.

Ironic Pirate said:
But in fast paced games, console gamers would have a mobility advantage, as WASD isn't all that great for movement...
lol I find it much better than a joystick. Combine that with the mouse accuracy, and you have a much more efficient way of playing any fast paced game

CmdrGoob

Oct 5, 2008
SODAssault said:
Well, the way I see it, the PC setup is better suited for marksmanship, while a controller would be far better suited to close-quarters combat (hence, why MW2 on consoles is absolutely LITTERED with knifers and shotgunners, but on the PC port, most engagements I've participated in were at a respectable distance. Yes, I own both. Long-ish story).
That would be because the hefty autoaim/stickyaim in the console version makes the most difference in close range, not due to any advantage of the console controller itself.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Y'know what? If this is true, then I'm glad it happened.

I have sampled the madness that is XBL. I've seen the people who dwell there.

I don't think I want those people in my PC games. Errg.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
wheeman said:
I played counter-strike with an xbox controller today, I played for half an hour and only got 2 kills.was
Console shooters have Auto-aim. Counterstrike does not. Hitting anything'd be even harder than on consoles.

dochmbi said:
It's simply a biological fact that you can get beter motor accuracy with your hand than with your least agile finger, the thumb.
That's not why you're slower on Consoles. It would be if the position of your curser was the position of the stick around the axis (ignoring spinning over 180 degrees and such). Movement with a thumbstick is capped at a certain speed, the speed at which it goes when it's held farthest left. Most mice can track movements faster than the hand, removing this cap. Switching from aiming left to aiming right on a thumbstick involves moving it from the left to the right, with a range of speeds in both directions in between. A mouse simply involves changing the direction of movement, which is instant. Ontop of that, there is only a small space around which you can move a thumb stick, meaning it's harder to choose precisely the speed and direction of movement, wheras on a mouse, it is far easier and more natural to control this, which is more due to the controller than the appendage controlling it.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
CmdrGoob said:
That would be because the hefty autoaim/stickyaim in the console version makes the most difference in close range, not due to any advantage of the console controller itself.
As far as I'm concerned, the two are hardly mutually exclusive, as I'm having a hard time recalling the last time a console game existed without auto-aim. The artificial compensation might as well be integral.

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
Ironic Pirate said:
But in fast paced games, console gamers would have a mobility advantage, as WASD isn't all that great for movement...
What? Why?

O.T. Big whoop, it would never work and it's absolutely pointless.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
CmdrGoob said:
I'd argue rushing is common on consoles as accuracy is less important when the other guy fills 3 quarters of your screen.

Personally I can play with M&K or a pad. The biggest difference is PC games are set up however you want. Everyone has their own setup. I prefer to aim with a mouse but I'm not so keen on the "on or off" movement you get with keys. My biggest issue with a controller? games which don't let me map every input individually (Why can't I have the same inputs in everygame?) and games that put mellee or jump on the face buttons so I have to let go of the right stick to do it. There is a slight advantage with a mouse but its far from an instant win button. It would only matter in tournaments and how many of us enter those?

The big problem though? PC gamers have more access to hacks, mods, sometimes the console etc. which puts the real chasm between PC and console games.

Of course this is with FPS/TPS. In RTS a controller can't compete (Maybe with endwar as that could be voice activated) with mouse and keyboard. Platformers, racers, fighting games, turn based strategy, sports sims, puzzle games etc. should be an even playing field.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
If this rumor proves to be true than I must admit that I am glad Microsoft scrapped the idea to allow cross platform play between the X-BOX 360 and PC. It is not because I think a console is superior or a PC is superior, because neither is superior, but because I think there would be more arguments between Console gamers and PC gamers.

Console gamers would start to whine because PC gamers can use mods and than PC gamers would whine if they got beat by a Console gamer and those are arguments we do not need.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I really wish they hadnt done that...It would have made things so much more fun...

imaloony

Nov 19, 2009
Actually, this is a good point. PC gamers WOULD destroy console gamers, at least in most cases. In a fighting game like Soul Caliber they might be on more even ground, but with a shooter like Modern Warfare, Halo, or Call of Duty, the PC gamers would win every time. It's just simple fact that the mouse is more accurate than the control stick.

So yeah, this is actually a good decision Microsoft made. Otherwise, there would have to be a whole new option in matchmaking for console gamers labeled "Would you like to invite PC gamers to this match so that they can kick the ever loving crap out of you?"

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
I don't know about this. I play TF2 a decent amount with my Xbox controller on the PC (To lay on the couch) and I honestly don't remember ever getting totally destroyed.

slowpoke999

Sep 17, 2009
Well my ego needed a good uprising today after hearing all that Jessi Slaughter shit and being less proud of being an Aussie.

SODAssault said:
Well, the way I see it, the PC setup is better suited for marksmanship, while a controller would be far better suited to close-quarters combat (hence, why MW2 on consoles is absolutely LITTERED with knifers and shotgunners, but on the PC port, most engagements I've participated in were at a respectable distance. Yes, I own both. Long-ish story).
TWO COPIES!?!11You best be explainin the story, because I'm not a fan of that game and knowing someone has two copies for no good reason makes me mad.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
well if we toss aside the FPS games...i think cross-platform can be done and it could be an epic win if done properly. Just forget about the FPS....cuz on average the PC would win...cuz there not that many pro players that can pwn mouse vs keyboard combo.
But racing games....sports games...rpgs and bla bla....it can be done....why are they trying with the obvious fail?

CmdrGoob

Oct 5, 2008
SODAssault said:
CmdrGoob said:
As far as I'm concerned, the two are hardly mutually exclusive, as I'm having a hard time recalling the last time a console game existed without auto-aim. The artificial compensation might as well be integral.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I always find it amusing when people claim it's just a matter of taste which is better when even the software has to be designed to artificially make up for the deficiency of the controller.

Nexus4

Jul 13, 2010
In a cross plat multiplayer game the teams would be mixed part console part PC players, so it's kinda unfair to pit teams made up entirely of console players and the other dedicated PC players.

p.s. I dont think many people would care about the advantage, the ability to play online with friends who may not have the console or the pc would justify cross platform games.

p.s.s I really wish people would stop assuming PC is at such a major advantage, the console players in this forum could probably go toe to toe with any of the PC players here, advantage or not.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Odd, I prefer to use a controller when I play shooters and pretty much anything not MMO or God games on my computer, so I really don't see how this would be true.

But then again I'm not an average PC gamer.