Rumor: Modern Warfare 3 Going Epic With Huge, Destructible Levels

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: Modern Warfare 3 Going Epic With Huge, Destructible Levels

Rumored information makes Modern Warfare 3 sound like the most epic Call of Duty yet.

Now that Modern Warfare 3 is Call of Duty [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109848-Modern-Warfare-3-Teased-for-June-Announcement] series.

The sources tell Kotaku that Modern Warfare 3 is indeed being developed by Infinity Ward, with assistance from Sledgehammer Games and possibly Raven Software, as previously prequel route [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107148-Rumor-Infinity-Ward-Sledgehammer-and-Raven-Team-Up-For-Modern-Warfare-3], following a "world in crisis" after Russia's invasion of the U.S. in said previous title. However, the game's exact settings aren't yet known, though it will feature urban areas. The storyline could draw in other countries for the series' potential take on World War III.

This escalation in conflict will be mirrored by Modern Warfare 3's maps, said to be much larger and epic in scale than in previous titles. In addition, Modern Warfare 3 could feature destructible environments.

This would align the title with similar content found in EA's Battlefield 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Battlefield-Bad-Company-2-Pc/dp/B002NIP2SM]. Modern Warfare 3 is also expected in fall 2011, so this could be the best holiday season of all time for shooter fans.

As usual with posts marked "rumor," keep in mind that this is all unconfirmed speculation.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5800337/modern-warfare-3-to-feature-bigger-story-more-destruction-this-fall]

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
Wasn't Modern Warfare's thing to have the combat feel personal and brutal, as opposed to 'sterile battlefield' images? I guess this could be a good thing, but it could very well be a bad thing as well.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Rumor has it... I would like to see the story continued, too bad Ghost ate it in the last one tho.
Still without the bulk of IW I wonder how they'll pull it off. I wasn't pleased at all with BlOps graphics, or story for that matter.
Destructible environments? Hopefully someone can get this right (I still think the original Red Faction pulled it off the best).

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
So they're going to *gasp* try something new!?!

Hell, I might actually buy this one myself rather than getting someone else to lend me theirs.

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
So now Call of Duty is going for Battlefield's fans and Battlefield is going for Call of Duty's fans. This should be interesting.

Shadie777

Feb 1, 2011
I shall not be decieved by the hype. I will wait till it comes out before deciding.
You shall not fool me again

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
I'm waiting for more information and some gameplay footage before I make any kind of decision to buy this game. I want it to be good, but I don't expect anything from it at this point.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
So... they're going to be making another Call of Duty game and stealing an element from Battlefield (alldegedly)?

Neat.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
The storyline could draw in other countries for the series' potential take on World War III.
...yes.

NEED MORE EPIC CRAZYNESS!!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I just gained this horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach. It's only tangentally related to this rumour.

What if this and BF3 use micro transactions? Knowing Actibliz and EA they'll jump at any chance to make a game more expensive and now doubt the optional content will be only optional if you like a game being gimped.

What a cheerful thought.

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
Destructible environments could cut down on grenade spamming, after all, if you're going to spam explosives then you're going to blow up the house you're standing in.

Shreder55

Jul 1, 2009
I still don't care. Modern Warfare 2 was bad and so was Black Ops so I feel no need to get hyped over what will eventually be the same game with only like two "new" features.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
Again they are taking from the competition to make another copycat game? Nice! Battlefield 3 and Bad Company 2 with destructable environments and large maps now they are looking at destructable environments and large maps, plus its sequal number 3 too. oh well its a rumour so there...

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
considering they no longer have Activision on their ass, maybe they can now do more creative shit

I'll be looking on to this one

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Wait Whazawat? Three studios? How...are they going to work together.... properly. Cohesiveness people!

Oh, yeah, and, Call of Duty : Battlefield

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Judging by the "Funhaus" in the picture (If that is a screenshot from MW3) part of it must take place in Germany.

Also it won't exactly be hard to create levels that are larger than the Black Ops maps.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
I just gained this horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach. It's only tangentally related to this rumour.

What if this and BF3 use micro transactions? Knowing Actibliz and EA they'll jump at any chance to make a game more expensive and now doubt the optional content will be only optional if you like a game being gimped.

What a cheerful thought.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gadgets/05/09/call.of.duty/index.html?hpt=Sbin

Micro transactions? hell no they are going full tilt into a subscription based services for COD. so we know the free services will be crap.