Rumor: Modern Warfare 3 Going Epic With Huge, Destructible Levels

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
I am interested whether this will be as simple as "Cover will deteriorate when shot or if it will be "THE HOUSE JUST BLEW UP FROM SHELLING! THE GROUND HAS POT HOLES! THAT TREE WAS SAWN DOWN AND BURNT BY A TACTICAL NUKE!"

Holy crap, the tactical nuke. That would be a spectacle to see in combat. It's like that set piece they already did, but EVERYWHERE!

Calumon: Does it come with sillies that hate the game but still play a million billion hours in it? :D

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
Looks like someone's scared of BF3.

Not that I'm complaining, at least they're changing something.

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
Hero in a half shell said:
Judging by the "Funhaus" in the picture (If that is a screenshot from MW3) part of it must take place in Germany.

Also it won't exactly be hard to create levels that are larger than the Black Ops maps.
Well considering MW2 is all about a hyper-aggressive Russia, Germany should be more frightened than the US, at least we have an ocean or two.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
JET1971 said:
Micro transactions? hell no they are going full tilt into a subscription based services for COD. so we know the free services will be crap.
This is Activision we're tlaking about, use your brain and not your heart.

In addition to paid features integrated into the platform, "You will see a lot of new services and capabilities that will be provided free of charge to all of our customers,"

They may well be talking up the free stuff, but it's right there, briefly mentioned, massively significant.

I can see it being all the best weapons, perks and streaks requiring purchase rather than unlock, or having such insane unlock criteria that buying is the only feasible option (think BF heroes). Or payment needed to progress beyond rank X.
They've already got people forking out money for tiny map packs that a mod community could fart out in a day, I see no reason why they won't monetise everything else.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Fuck yeah blow all forms of realism out the water and give me WWIII I want to fight every sinle race, religion, gender, age and kill everyone.

/murderous Rockerfly

It sounds good, ballsy for them to go after the battlefield crowd. I like balls

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
If there is anything to this rumor, then it sounds to me like Infinity Ward* and Activision has lost the initiative here and is merely playing catch-up now to EA and DICE. Granted CoD is still selling better than Battlefield for some forsaken reason, but they know that their current formula is only going to last only so long. Still, this is a pretty quick release date after Black Ops just came out. I have my doubts we will see anything new. It's easy to just make up rumours about stuff. Better to just wait til E3 and see what is really getting put in there, if not just another cinematic.
*:Take into account this is the same dev company as before in name only. I doubt anybody is still there that didn't get taken to Activision's guillotine.
vrbtny said:
Wait Whazawat? Three studios? How...are they going to work together.... properly. Cohesiveness people!

Oh, yeah, and, Call of Duty : Battlefield
Given Activision's difficulty working with just one dev team in the past, this is hard to believe. What comes of this fiasco might be quite entertaining to read about.

Call of Battlefield: Bad Ops

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
JET1971 said:
Micro transactions? hell no they are going full tilt into a subscription based services for COD. so we know the free services will be crap.
This is Activision we're tlaking about, use your brain and not your heart.

In addition to paid features integrated into the platform, "You will see a lot of new services and capabilities that will be provided free of charge to all of our customers,"

They may well be talking up the free stuff, but it's right there, briefly mentioned, massively significant.

I can see it being all the best weapons, perks and streaks requiring purchase rather than unlock, or having such insane unlock criteria that buying is the only feasible option (think BF heroes). Or payment needed to progress beyond rank X.
They've already got people forking out money for tiny map packs that a mod community could fart out in a day, I see no reason why they won't monetise everything else.
You get the guns for free, but the bullets will cost you.

Couch Radish

Mar 28, 2011
I can imagine that only certain things will be destructible. Anyway not interested in the least, and much MORE interested in Battlefield 3 and Brink.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
I am interested whether this will be as simple as "Cover will deteriorate when shot or if it will be "THE HOUSE JUST BLEW UP FROM SHELLING! THE GROUND HAS POT HOLES! THAT TREE WAS SAWN DOWN AND BURNT BY A TACTICAL NUKE!"

Holy crap, the tactical nuke. That would be a spectacle to see in combat. It's like that set piece they already did, but EVERYWHERE!

Calumon: Does it come with sillies that hate the game but still play a million billion hours in it? :D
Holy Moley, where have you two been hiding? Haven't seen you around in a coon's age.

As for tactical nukes, those have been around in other games...
Fair warning, this might be loud.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
vrbtny said:
Wait Whazawat? Three studios? How...are they going to work together.... properly. Cohesiveness people!

Reminds me of Other M. Three separate entities fighting over the game leading to the disaster it was.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
Calumon, that is one of the most inspired and interesting questions I have ever heard. I fear that the answer is yes, but the reason for it being so delves so far into the human psyche that if we knew the reason why it were so, our brains would explode in shame and horror.

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009
I can't imagine CoD having destructible scenery. It just doesn't fit well. Especially with their killstreaks. Someone gets an AC130? Goodbye, map. As long as it has bots (hopefully improved ones at that) like BlOps, I'll be content.

CptRumGuy

Jul 31, 2008
Call of Duty + Battlefield = Cattle Duty

I'd buy this game twice if they actually named it that.

Feb 9, 2011
I'll just wait and see. It's too early to tell and, as a Call of Duty fan, I've been burned in the past by past hypes. We'll see...

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
I will only like the story if it ends with everyone nuking everyone and there was nothing the lone epic gunman could do to stop it and regardless of who was right and who was wrong the only possible outcome of war on such a scale is mutually assured destruction.

That'd be awesome.

I'll still get it though, and hopefully it'll be better than that shitpile BlOps.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Cool. Unlike everyone else and their mother's, I'm actually a fan of the Modern Warfare series (yeah, thats right, bring it haters!), so I'll keep my eye on this one.

omega_peaches

Jan 23, 2010
I sure hope not, this isn't Battlefield, if Battlefield was more popular, sales would have shown that.
If I want destructible environments, I'll pop in BC2.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
vrbtny said:

Reminds me of Other M. Three separate entities fighting over the game leading to the disaster it was.
Don't think so really. Other M was much more Ninja Theory surrounded by Publishers. This is more three developers trying to develop the game together, which is never going to work....

Jammy Fingers

Apr 7, 2010
I think that Call of Duty is making a serious blunder with this move. Call of duty has seen the massive popularity of BFBC2 and is now trying to copy it. What Is problematic with this is that it just will not stand up to the frostbite 3.0 engine when BF3 releases.
What needs to happen to the Call of Duty Franchise is two things.
1: Complete Graphics overhaul. As it stands now the engine is now reaching the ripe age of four and it's starting to show. We need a major update to keep the series looking shiny.
2: New blood. While it was fun for a while to pass COD around between IW and Treyarch we need some new Ideas to revitalise the multiplayer and someone with a grasp on in game storytelling to surprise us all with a story with depth.