Rumor: More Evidence Suggests Always-Online For Next Xbox

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Kirov Reporting said:
Steven Bogos said:
I agree with you! I said:

The wording of the sure-to-be-controversial "always-online" statement doesn't suggest that internet is mandatory for it to work, but may be talking about always having an internet connection so that it can download and update even when in the off or standby mode.
My God I feel stupid now! Apologies for not reading the whole thing properly before running my mouth, but for what it's worth it looks like our interpretation is soundly in the minority - it appears everyone around here is primed and ready for opportunities to say it'll be the worst thing ever. I'm not quite ready to make that judgement just yet.
I am more pissed about the always online and the REQUIRED Kinect. So I have to have your webcam in my house and it will always be ready for use? They can not even keep <a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122782-Xbox-Entertainment-Awards-Suffers-Security-Breach?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=news
"> this shit secure. So why should I feel safe that you have this camera in my house that I can not unplug.

I think this generation is driving me back to the PC. My CURRENT rig KILLS the PS4, so why would I buy a overpriced low end PC?

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Then I assume it will have a mobile phone business model, given away for free, with an obligatory 2 year Xbox Live subscription.

Saregon

Yes.. Swooping is bad.
May 21, 2012
Sol_HSA said:
Forget DRM.

That's a 3d camera in your living room that's connected to internet all the time regardless of whether you're using xbox or not.
Yes, first thing I thought while reading was "Oh cool, I've always wanted HAL9000 in my living room.." Seriously though, I like my 360, but I have NO interest in the Kinect, I have NO interest in always-online, the only multiplayer I play is on my PC, as well as most of my games. I'm already mainly a PC gamer, and if this stuff is true, means I won't be getting any of the next gen consoles. I didn't like what I saw of the PS4, and I like this even less. I MIGHT get a Wii U, for the uniqueness of the stuff it has (and Wind Waker). So, if this is true, then I must conclude that Microsoft is actively trying to alienate its customers so it can get out of the games business. And for my part at least, they will succeed.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I dont know if i will buy one now. I guess if it comes with inbuilt wifi then great. But if i have issues with the internet and that means i cant play my game. Then i wont be buying one. Will it be DRM all over again? Will i beable to play my single player games offline?

All i want is to play games offline, i have no interest in kinect, in the social media side they want with the console, no interest in being online at all. I guess we have to wait for more info.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Well, I tend to be with the group that has stopped paying and using Xbox live for the last year now and have moved on to the Japanese gaming giants once again. Microsoft just doesn't know how to handle a paid service and to be frank, it doesn't matter how good the games are if I keep feeling like the machine is running a full screen mode worse than Curse Client.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
if i needed more reasons to stick to pc gaming, this looks like it. i never had an xbox before, and this doesn't look like it'll be the first one i get. they are certainly not winning me over

bandit0802

Dec 24, 2008
This always-online thing sounds more like "stay connected when it's powered down" rather than "stay connected to keep playing the game". That may just turn out to be how they're pitching it.

To me, it seems like the DRM is gonna come from installing the game to the hard drive. Really? It can't play straight from the disc? Then what the hell's the point of having them?! How many games do you think people own? Cuz I guarantee you it's more than 10!

If this is how they're executing their DRM, then it's a terrible idea. What are we supposed to do with the discs after we've installed them? Just throw them away? That'd be a serious waste of resources, man-hours, and money, both on your end and ours!

Buying PS4? - maybe
Buying new Xbox? - no
Looks like I may be living in the past for a while. Unless they realize how stupid they're being and make these more consumer-friendly.

EDIT: Well, I do have a WiiU, which hasn't pissed me off much yet. Main gripe right now is a lack of decent titles.
But you know those retro consoles? I want one that will play Gamecube, PS1, PS2, and original Xbox games, since it looks like I'll be keeping my PS3 for a while (no backwards compatibility in PS4) and need to make room.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Like some others have mentioned, if it was true, you cannon underestimate the stupidity of people who will still buy it.

I think the problems would only come out longer term when Microsoft starts having server issues and the bro gamers can't figure out why their copy of halo won't run.

I mean, people already pay for xbox live now which to me, is already one of the most laughably stupid things I've ever seen. If they can convince people that 'paying' for the right to play online multiplayer is a good idea, then I'm sure they'll manage to shove whatever DRM measures this thing has down people's throats just fine.

Timmey

May 29, 2010
Hmmm, could be an amazing money spinner for Microsoft if people still buy the console and still need to buy Xbox live. Cant be online without Xbox live, this guaranteeing money every month for them on top of their console sales. Of course who would buy that?

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
This is the harder part of being a skeptic: to not let hype bite into you, but neither let bad rumors affect your judgement. Good thing I'm not a console gamer, and my interests have drifted away from video games over the last couple of years.

But if this turns out to actually be true, soon we'll be partying like it's 1982 all over again. This has picked my interest. I'll stay alert for an official announcement from Microsoft.

superline51

Nov 18, 2009
What's the point on making it blu-ray if it can't even play from the disc? Will it treat BR movies with the same nonsense?

juyunseen

Nov 21, 2011
Okay, if this becomes official, as someone who has never owned a Sony console when it was current (bought a PS2 way after the fact) it looks like the next gen of consoles will see me buying a PS4. It may look overhyped and not play what I want to play on PS3, but at least I wont have to deal with MS's Bullshit.

Or I could just buy a WiiU and not deal with either of the other two companies being stupid.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Wow, 3 big reasons not to buy into the new Xbox. If this is true all Sony have to do is scale back on these features and they will win the next console gen war hands down!

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
So... the Xbox 724 is looking pretty bad atm, compared to the other next gen consoles. However, we still don't know much about it, most is still speculation.
They should just finally reveal the thing so people know which next gen console or pc to buy or avoid.

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
Sol_HSA said:
Forget DRM.

That's a 3d camera in your living room that's connected to internet all the time regardless of whether you're using xbox or not.
I see you too make babies on the living room floor.

In all seriousness, though, the above point is ultimately more scary than DRM, I mean, sure you might not be able to play your new game if the internet goes out. Yeah its shit, but whats even more shit is all the information Microsoft could steal from you but have a 3D camera with microphone hooked up in your house. Thats terrifying honestly.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Really the thing that would piss me off the most about this if it all turns out to be true would be the Mandatory Kinetic. Seriously, why they hell do they insist on stuffing that worthless piece of crap down our throats? Motion capture is, always was, and always will be a lame gimmic. Nintendo built their Wii around it, we don't need you doing the same XBox.

superline51

Nov 18, 2009
Desert Punk said:
superline51 said:
What's the point on making it blu-ray if it can't even play from the disc? Will it treat BR movies with the same nonsense?
PCs dont play from the disk and the games still come on disks....
I know it still has to have a disc drive, but I'm not seeing the point of making it blu-ray.