Every I time I read "always online," I read "lost sales."

"Evidence suggests lost sales for next Xbox."

Yeah. That seems about right.

TheComfyChair

Sep 17, 2010
superline51 said:
Desert Punk said:
superline51 said:
What's the point on making it blu-ray if it can't even play from the disc? Will it treat BR movies with the same nonsense?
PCs dont play from the disk and the games still come on disks....
I know it still has to have a disc drive, but I'm not seeing the point of making it blu-ray.
That's just because it's easier to provide someone with one disc rather than 5 :) It's why PC gaming moved to DVDs from CD drives. It was a bit pointless to send someone 5-6 CDs in a box.

Blu ray never took off for PC game distribution because PC gaming has long since stopped relying much on retail or physical copies. By the time blu-ray is required (e.g. 5-6 dvds a game), physical will be a long distant memory for the platform.

However, unlike PC, consoles are closed systems. So the competition in place for healthy digital distribution does not exist, so consoles will remain locked down to physical media. This is because console gamers (rightly) don't want to pay £10-20 more for a digital version of every game and store it on a HDD that's 5x more expensive than it should be (in the case of the xbox).

pyramid head grape

[Game-Over]
Feb 4, 2011
Times like these I pet my PC and say "Everything is going to be ok"

In other words I'm done with consoles to me, consoles crashed long ago.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
I've always been a console gamer, most recently with a 360. I have however been using Steam to play lower-tech games that my laptop could handle such as Bastion and the original Deus Ex. The service and prices available on Steam have been very tempting but I never really considered making a full transition to PC gaming. If these rumors are true, I may very well do so next time I get a new computer. PC gaming already has so many advantages over console gaming and this might be the last straw to tip the scales.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
They must REALLY want bad sales.

But lets take this step by step
- Always online DRM.
Sim City '13 and Diablo 3 on a (probably) much larger scale, need i say more?
Plus of course the people with bad internet that are fucked People that have NO interest in playing multiplayer OR getting XBOX live are fucked. What if your internet goes down? No single player aswell! (small clarification, i mean not being able to play singleplayer if you have no internet)

- Comes with kinect.
Well, now i can understand that some people want to try it, i do not like the fact that they FORCE a CAMERA on to you. call me paranoid but does anyone remember that patent microsoft closed that they can moniter how many people are watching the screen or playing through kinect. PLUS it still doesnt bloody work as far as i know.

- Playing from disc will not be supported.
Well first of all, you have to pay an extra fuckton of money besides the game to be able to play them all. I could see them giving really low Hard drives with the new XBOX so people have to buy the special XBOX hard drives they will sell.
Then there is the question, how many times can you use a disc to install a game? If you can only install it once (activation code and all that) you NEED to keep it on the hard drive FOREVER and cant just delete it and re- installed when needed.

- Being able to play while downloading / installing
That just sounds like fuckup train leaving from cluster fuck station to FUBAR town.
The whole thing just screams ERRORRR!!111!! and BUGGSSSS1111one!!!
Also, what happens if you are installing, start playing, and get to the point where how far the game is installed and your progress is equal? Loading screen in the middle of combat? forever stuck behind a 99% completion screen?

This whole new XBOX just shows BAD IDEA in big neon letters.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Everyone seems to be jumping on the "KILL THE NEXT XBOX" Band wagon -.-

Lets wait till Microsoft release a statement yeah?

Somehow, I doubt Kinect will be required, and if it is, ohh well I will still have a controller. Having to download games to the Hard Drive? So like PC? Fair enough again, no problem. Always connected to the internet? No. When i read that i read "The console can be connected while shut down" not "YOU HAVE TO BE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET OR YOU WILL BUUUUUUURRRRRRRRN!"

Anyway, if you will excuse me, I'm not going to let this ruin the next Xbox, and i will be patiently waiting for a statement off Microsoft before I say "THE NEXT XBOX WILL BE A PIECE OF SHIT" like everyone else seems to be doing.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
I don't rely on consoles for much in the way of gaming. Now, that being said...

Out of all the consoles, I've always had the Microsoft platform before I've bought the Sony or Nintendo platform.

If this rumour is true, I will not buy the next Xbox at all. Simple as that... I've got nothing against digital distribution OR the requirement to install things to your hard drive.

What I have everything against is the requirement that I always have it net connected. Also, I'll NEVER degrade myself or my little gaming den by purchasing a Kinect. HAH, nope.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Kinda glad that I got a gaming capable PC last year. Stuff like this makes it annoying to be a console gamer.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
If these rumours are true, I think I may well be looking into becoming part of the "PC Master Race"

As much as I wanted the Kinect to be a success, I don't want a fully-integrated one watching me and the room it is in constantly.

And while I tend to install games anyway, that's fine when it's only a few GB, and doesn't take that long. For 50GB games, it will take an eternity. And that's ignoring any potential storage space issues there'll be.

The always-online is just the icing on the shit cake, as I have problems staying connected with this Xbox (despite my internet being perfect for everything else), so something that requires always-online, especially from a company whose console I've had problems with staying connected, is a bit of a deal-breaker for me.

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
Here's my question, (and I didn't read every post, so someone may have already asked this): as far as I can recall, Sony was adamant that this was not going to be the case with their console, correct? I believe someone used the term 'anti-social' as a bit of a joke when assuring people you didn't have to connect your console to the internet. Okay, fine. BUT. As someone who isn't super well-versed in hardware, I have to ask: Is an always-online architecture something that would have to be built into the system from the word 'go,' or is it something they could patch in with a firmware update?

Honestly, if Microsoft did do this, and the console still managed to sell really well, I wouldn't put it past Sony to jump on this bandwagon. Maybe they were smart enough not to do it first, but I doubt it's something they're super opposed to, especially given the kind of connectivity they're pushing with the PS4. I love my PS3, and I have no real problem with Sony, but they do make some pretty stupid decisions sometimes, and I can see this being one of them.

Looks like sitting back and waiting is going to be the smartest thing to do with this next generation.

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
Vegosiux said:
Ehm, no, Microsoft, no. I decide when I want to be online. You don't get to tell me I always want to be online. Sorry.
Funny thing about that. That's how I felt about what "page" my xbox should start on after they did away with the blades, but when I emailed them about it, I got this response:

"Dear YourJohnson, we are sorry that you are not happy with the new dashboard and the ads. Removing these is [not in the current plan] and is not the experience that we want you to have with your Xbox"

Part of the email is foggy by now, but the bolded part will be forever ingrained into my memory. I canceled my Xbox Live subscription that day, and I haven't gone back since. Last year (whenever the Infamous 2 bundle was being sold) I purchased a PS3, and have done all of my multiplayer and console gaming on that since. I have also started heavily using steam.

That email made me sick to my stomach. Ever since then, I have looked at the gaming industry with a Cynicism that cannot be matched. Microsoft have lost all of my trust, and I probably will never let them earn it back. So please, if not for yourself, then for me, do NOT buy the next Microsoft console. The less money they are able to make, the less they are able to rape consumers. And if it were to fail, I would be happy beyond measure.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
TK421 said:
I got this response:

"Dear YourJohnson, we are sorry that you are not happy with the new dashboard and the ads. Removing these is [not in the current plan] and is not the experience that we want you to have with your Xbox"
Jesus Christ. You did the right thing, bro.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
The thing I've always wondered about this always-online stuff is that my internet connection is fast, but unreliable; at least once during every session on the PS4 I'll lose my connection and get logged out of the PSN. The same goes for browsing on my laptop.

How will this issue --that is completely out of my control-- factor into an always-online Xbox? Will I get kicked out of all my single player games every time the internet disconnects?

As a sidenote, I've decided to start taking a drink every time someone mentions the 'next video game crash'. I've so far had to clear out my schedule for the next three weeks because I'm going to be absolutely fucking mashed every day, by the looks of things.

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
Duffeknol said:
TK421 said:
I got this response:

Jesus Christ. You did the right thing, bro.
Yeah. I just wish there was a way to get other people to understand what a horrible company they are, and to get them to stop buying Microsoft stuff. But I am not so naive as to believe that will ever happen :[

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
congratulations sony you have won the next console wars.

IF this is true.

so now it seems that sony will be first, sony will not require you to be online, or force a "hd" 3d camera into your system to spy on your living room, ok this one is a tad silly to think some guy from ms is going to be sitting there watching and listening to you, but this does beg the question if it is always online and if someone does hack the system the amount of damage that could be done to individuals is jaw dropping. or the amount of information the government or some 3rd party could get tapping into your console.

this also is not the age of high speed internet everywhere, it is the age of spotty intenet, draconian band limits. etc. depending on what part of the world you are in.

i know ms has been nickle and diming you people for years, ripping you off even and you happily took it, now they are seeing exactly how much they can fuck you, with xbl, and their direct downloads store which will cut out retailers as much as they possibly can.

sony has shown to be better in the online realm giving people a free experience that works, if not the most feature laden. and their subscription model for the ps3 has been a pretty large hit, and while they may dream of the buckets of money that an online retail locked in component would grant them in their console they were smart enough to recoginze that people are not there yet, where you can force them to be online all the time or force them to use their bandwidth to dl 6 to 50 gigs worth of data for each and every game.

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
Well looks like i'll be spending my extra cash on upgrading my PC. It's too bad to because I do enjoy playing games on the couch. Oh well i guess.

Silvianoshei

May 26, 2011
Kirov Reporting said:
Steven Bogos said:
Rumor: More Evidence Suggests Always-Online For Next Xbox

"will always maintain a network connection so that console software and games are always current. With this 'Always On, Always Connected' design, users will quickly and easily enjoy their connected entertainment experiences, with no waiting for the console to restart or install updates."

Um, okay, I think I'm reading this differently (or maybe just optimistically), but that to me sounds like it means it'll be online while switched off. Not necessarily forced to be online. That bit about 'no waiting' etc, having a forced connection wouldn't affect that.. But the xbox being able to download and update while not in use / powered down would.

Just me?
For what it's worth, this is EXACTLY the same language that SimCity used. "Always Connected"

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Sol_HSA said:
Forget DRM.

That's a 3d camera in your living room that's connected to internet all the time regardless of whether you're using xbox or not.
Seriously... why are't people latching onto this more? *looks for bookmark* Okay, couldn't find it, but I was reading a story not long ago about a cybersecurity firm doing a "wargame" for a company where they attempted to gain access to their network. They ended up doing so by accessing their office building's wireless surveillance system via a fairly easy loophole in the camera's software (contacted camera manufacturer with details to get that fixed too, glad these were the good guys), that being the easiest access point, zooming, and monitoring employees/supervisors- enabling them to literally see them logging in to systems. Wham, accessed and gained control of the company's network.

I'm not too keen on having a constantly connected 3d camera in my living room / game room / OFFICE / BEDROOM.