Rumor: More Evidence Suggests Always-Online For Next Xbox

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
You want me to buy a console that has a built in camera with moving senors and is always connected to the internet, even when I turn the console off....no [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63lYBalGx7M&t=4s]. No, Microsoft I will not.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I'm guessing these requirements are more for what the game needs to fully support more than actual requirements for all games to behave.

Meaning, you can make a game that can be run from the disk, but it also NEEDS to run from the HDD if the user takes that option, otherwise MS won't certify the game. It also makes sense for that to be a requirement if they are going DD. A game will need to be able to be run from the HDD if the user decides to buy the game digitally.

My name is Fiction

Sep 27, 2010
It would be financial suicide if they made it all ways online DRM. Not even half of the worlds population has internet yet!
If you read the end of the article it would have said
"The wording of the sure-to-be-controversial "always-online" statement doesn't suggest that internet is mandatory for it to work, but may be talking about always having an internet connection so that it can download and update even when in the off or standby mode." -.-

GnomeChompsky

Jun 15, 2011
There's never been any incentive for me to purchase an XBox, but this is certainly one more very significant reason to pass it up. Same for any other console that implements this feature. Count me in as a member of the "no way, no how" crowd.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Well, won't be getting the next Xbox. Looks like a console generation i'm more then happy to skip.

dreadedcandiru99

Apr 13, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
The document says that the new console will maintain an always-online connection, require the use of a new Kinect device (which will be included with the console), and require all games to be installed to its hard drive.
Well, fuckin' A. I can't wait to never ever buy this.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Let's see, on my limited internet bandwidth (like 90% of the world (the parts that have internet anyhow), you want an always online, auto-patching without asking me machine. Yeah no. I had enough trouble on one of my prior internet plans with the PS3's firmware updates that couldn't be cancelled eating bandwidth.

Oh, and while we're on it. Xbox live still isn't even available someplaces.

Half (if not all) the point of discs is so you don't have to clutter up a hard drive? That and I'm not even a hardcore gamer in terms of how many I have, and I can flood a console HD prettyfast.

And no, I'm not sticking a forced always online camera in my house, especially given both console networks have had their share of major security hacks.

Captcha : Doritos (Well, how thematic)

Mar 26, 2008
My name is Fiction said:
It would be financial suicide if they made it all ways online DRM. Not even half of the worlds population has internet yet!
A great point. I live in the outer south-east suburbs of Melbourne and my internet connection is average at best. This would likely cripple it.

Capcha: 'Well isn't that special?' - No. No it isn't.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Snotnarok said:
Not everything is shit but I still stand by some of these companies needing a big no to their bullshit.
A crash isn't really what you're looking for, then.
A mini-crash, whatever, just something to get a lot of these people to back up and try doing something for their customers instead of taking more away.

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
Sol_HSA said:
Forget DRM.

That's a 3d camera in your living room that's connected to internet all the time regardless of whether you're using xbox or not.
SODOMIZE ME WITH A PIPEWRENCH. I hadn't thought of that. That's bloody terrifying.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
GAunderrated said:
Snotnarok said:
Looks like they're going to really try and slam the always online DRM hammer down.

This may be the great video game crash all over again. People BETTER not buy into this always online crap, I'm hoping everyone is smarter than these companies give them credit for.
If people go along with it Sony is going to be mad they didn't abuse their customers first. lol.
Given Sony's history, this just might create enough irony to physically manifest.
...And then explode.

People will buy into this. The Xbox brand is too strong to fail for reasons like that.

This is just the herald of the dark, horrible future I predicted for gaming years ago. Were I strongly invested in console gaming now, this would be enough to make me quit. As it stands, little will change for me, save that if this is true I am never, ever buying the new Xbox no matter how good the games are.

EDIT: On second thought, the logistics for such a system is completely fucking bonkers.
Not every game on every system could sustain this. Blizzard had crippling issues with ONE GAME.
Imagine that happening for EVERY MAJOR RELEASE.

New World Fool

Feb 15, 2013
Well... eh, this isn't too bad. I think. My connection is super stable so always being online won't be an issue, But the Kinect. Will it be included with the console, or will I have to shell out another couple'a hundred for that as well? But I won't panic yet! The key word here is rumor, most of the time they have a habit of turning out to be false!

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Well then, yet another reason why I should ditch console gaming and stick to my PC, you really aren't selling yourselves very well are you, console developers?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Snotnarok said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
A crash isn't really what you're looking for, then.
A mini-crash, whatever, just something to get a lot of these people to back up and try doing something for their customers instead of taking more away.
The most probable solution in which they learn their lesson is one in which sales decrease but they stay in business and relatively solvent. As much as I hate to quote jim Carrey or admit to watching the movie in question, I think the Riddler said it best: If you kill 'em, they won't learn nothin'.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
Imagine that happening for EVERY MAJOR RELEASE.
Keep in mind also that for the first couple years of XBox Live, they had serious problems keeping the service up with a new release and especially around Christmas time. Now, with XBL being what it is, it only screwed up things like online play.

But consider that they couldn't even keep THAT service up....

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
New World Fool said:
Well... eh, this isn't too bad. I think. My connection is super stable so always being online won't be an issue
This is a valid sentiment only if YOUR connection is the only one required for you to play online.

Even people with good connections are screwed by always-on DRM.

I wish more people understood this, especially since we have precedent.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
For PC and multiplayer-focused(which is why I had no problem with D3's, since I only played it online anyways, so it didn't effect me.) games, I have no problem with the always online requirement. Since I'm going to be online to play it anyways. However, I play my console single player 99% of the time(I played Battlefield: Bad Company 2 with a friend of mine for like a week before he somehow bricked his PS3), and I know a lot of people who do the same.

It would be stupid for any company to require a console to always be online. What if you travel somewhere with weak(Constant downtime)/overly expensive(that you're not willing to pay)/or just no internet? You have a $300-400(guess) paperweight.

tl;dr: For certain games, depending on the situation it's a minor inconvenience. For the ENTIRE console it's a frickin' stupid idea.

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
I really hope the higher-ups at Microsoft realize how stupid this would be if it even has a shred of truth in it.
Christ, it's like they would want their console to only be played by people who have incredible internet connections. What about the rest of the world, hm? XBL already crashes enough as it is for me.

I'm going to be optimistic and assume this isn't actually the truth, but if it is...?
Goodbye Microsoft.

TheSteeleStrap

May 7, 2008
Well MS is doing what they do best, making products with other people's ideas... It's just that this time, they forgot what a good idea looks like. If this is true, they will fail, I have no doubt.