Rumor: Mortal Kombat Reboot Locking Multiplayer Behind Online Pass

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rumor: Mortal Kombat Reboot Locking Multiplayer Behind Online Pass

Anyone can play Mortal Kombat [http://www.amazon.com/Mortal-Kombat-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6E1JS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301480886&sr=8-1] online, it's just some players will have to fork out ten bucks.

Warner Bros. may be the latest publisher to start using an online pass system, holding features and/or content back from pre-owned customers until they pay a fee. According to sources, WBIE will debut this policy with Mortal Kombat in April, and then use it other titles, such as F.E.A.R. 3 and Batman: Arkham City.

With both single and multiplayer games included, the initiative sounds most like EA "Project Ten Dollar" initiative, which covers online multiplayer and bonus content such as extra characters or missions in Mass Effect 2. Interestingly, the source says WBIE will not mention the online pass anywhere on the game's packaging. The information about the pass is apparently intended for retailers, who presumably will inform customer when they buy a pre-owned copy of the game.

The pass will cost 800 points on Xbox Live, or $10 on PSN. Pre-owned customers will get a two-day trial period of the online modes to decide if they want to pay. This is all just rumor at the moment, but the information to retailers, which you can see below, seems quite genuine. We've contacted WBIE about this, and will update if we hear anything back.

Mortal Kombat, available on April 19 for the PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system and the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, includes a one-time-use registration code that gives players access to all online modes in the game. Players who do not have a code will get a free two-day trial of the online play and then be able to purchase the online modes for 800 Microsoft Points on Xbox LIVE Marketplace and $9.99 on the PlayStation Network.

Mortal Kombat comes out for Xbox 360 and PS3 on April 19th.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/29/rumor-warner-bros-joining-online-pass-camp-with-mortal-komba]

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
I'm willing to bet this kind of move isn't just about getting customers to pay the right people when they buy used, or about discouraging them from buying used. This seems to be about discouraging retailers from buying back copies of the game.

Someone sells it back, someone buys it used, and the store forgets to mention they can't play multiplayer. Customer comes back with a complaint, returns the item, store is stuck with yet another copy. Next time around, store says, "We're not buying back these games."

It'd be nice if the two sides could work together... but the retailers currently have no reason to consider another tactic. This move is heavy-handed, but it could at least force discussions.

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
Hurray, an excuse not to buy the next Mortal Kombat game! I never liked them anywa- what's this? Batman: Arkham [I'm assuming this is meant to be 'city' here?]?

Aww shit, I wanted to buy that one. Damn you principles, why must you make everything complicated?! Ahh well, more money for me I guess. I'll just give it to Pringles and Monster instead while playing other games.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
I see nothing wrong with these Online Pass schemes for playing online or whatever from buying a pre-owned game.

It's good that the developer gets some money out of it.

KyoFox

Sep 13, 2009
I think this is just redundant (for he Xbox, anyway).
They already have to pay just to talk to their friends in a party, why make them pay extra for online?

As for Ps3...eh. Let them play for online games. they're getting too smug about their free multiplayer anyway.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Online Pass systems are a good thing. They mean that developers effectively make money from second hand sales, rather than everything going to the retailer. They deserve something for their hard work.

May 25, 2010
Wait a minute... What do you mean "With both single player and mutli player games included"? Are they seriously going to make use a pass for Arkham City?

spartan773

Nov 18, 2009
AndrewC said:
I see nothing wrong with these Online Pass schemes for playing online or whatever from buying a pre-owned game.

It's good that the developer gets some money out of it.
it's also a way to recoup losses.

spartan773

Nov 18, 2009
Adzma said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Online Pass systems are a good thing. They mean that developers effectively make money from second hand sales, rather than everything going to the retailer. They deserve something for their hard work.
it's also, as i've said in a previous post, a way to recoup losses.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
God damn it. Eh, at least I won't be the one getting dicked over this time like with Dead Space 2.

inglioti

Oct 10, 2009
Not sure how I feel about online passes. The only time I have encountered it was when I bought a copy of Dead Space 2 online from Hong Kong, and tried to play multiplayer. It wasn't second hand, although the online pass was restricted to the region it was originally sold in.

Tried the online section, and it was pretty forgettable so I wasn't too fussed. Predicting I might feel the same way about Mortal Kombat - I have a feeling that the brutal finishers won't be nearly as awesome if I'm playing someone I can't see or hear.

But then again, I don't usually by used games. It would just be annoying if I borrowed a game from someone who had already unlocked it.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Bit of a jerk move to pass the heat down to the retailer, but I have no issue with the concept in this or any similar cases. The simple solution, just buy the game new. Problem solved. It's unlikely the game will have online legs over the long term anyway, so savings from buying used will be less than minimal.

mr_pants66

Oct 7, 2009
well i guess i am adding mortal kombat to the list of games i refuse to buy because of the $10 unlocks, and i would like to add this IT IS NOT $10 IN AUS (or it has not been up until now) it has been $15 <- THAT IS CRAP just so we all know that

(the aus dollar is even to the us dollar so don't understand this, in fact i think the aus dollar is worth more at the moment)

Jul 9, 2008
Adzma said:
I agree in principle, but it shouldn't be such a major part of the game. It should be, say, an alternate game mode for the Online play at most, not the ENTIRE online play.

ZeppMan217

Apr 13, 2010
Oh, Ok. I'll just pick it up a few months later AFTER the release when it won't cost 60$. No biggie.

Se7enUpMustang

Apr 7, 2010
Well I was going to buy it.

I dont care how much I want the game, I dont care if it is the best game ever made, I dont care if you get 2 free strippers when you buy it. I will NOT buy any game that uses a sigle use code for access to online play. People who buy games legally are being punished for something that isnt our fault and there is no way we can fix it, so.....

FUCK THAT GAME
FUCK ANY OTHER GAME THAT DOES THIS
FUCK MP ACESS CODES
AND FUCK ANY DEVELOPER WHO USES THEM

We dont deserve this.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
KyoFox said:
I think this is just redundant (for he Xbox, anyway).
They already have to pay just to talk to their friends in a party, why make them pay extra for online?

As for Ps3...eh. Let them play for online games. they're getting too smug about their free multiplayer anyway.
Devs don't get a cut from XBL fees.

Adzma said:
I agree.

Bob the frantic

Sep 5, 2009
Tactics like project ten dollar need to be marketed better than just 'we are locking content you thought you paid for, didn't the salesman tell you?' A more light handed approach or explaining why they are doing this will quell a lot of rage and make these work more like 'donations for a job well done'.

Forcing someone to pay extra for content advertised on the tin is done in other areas of marketing (special surprise inside with three other purchases!), so people in the marketing department need to sit down and think about it.